Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fully expect Anne to stand vigil with her brothers - after all the late Queen had 4 children so who on earth would replace her daughter (the only possible person would be Anne's own husband with Anne's prior approval) Anne was the first woman to walk in a funeral cortege at her grandmother's funeral.

I completely get Anne accompanying her mother, I was just a bit surprised Edward and Sophie weren't but I guess they may well be with James or settling Louise into university life. Andrew not being part of it I get.

Any clue about the time the coffin will leave Balmoral tomorrow?

Posts discussing the relationship between The Wales and the Sussexes, have been edited/deleted.

There will be plenty of time to talk about the drama surrounding the BRF and the Sussexes, so let’s not derail this thread and take the focus off of Queen Elizabeth II. Any further off-topic comments will be deleted.

The Prince of Wales has released a very moving tribute the Her Majesty The Queen, to be found here:

Statement from The Prince of Wales

Emotional personal elegant message from the new Prince of Wales.

A lump caught in my throat at his comment that his grandmother has been at his side during the saddest moments of his life.

I have an idea what William was referring to.:sad:

10am with The Princess Royal accompanying on the drive to Edinburgh.

Anne was mentioned in the official release as accompanying the coffin on the flight from Edinburgh to London, no details of who will accompany her on the journey tomorrow - I suspect many members of the RF may do.

Last edited:
I think Anne has been a constant source of help and support to her mother (and her father) as they grew older and frailer. Anne’s closeness to her mother has, I believe, meant that she has been given this one last honour/task, accompanying HM’s coffin on its last long journey.

Emotional personal elegant message from the new Prince of Wales.

A lump caught in my throat at his comment that his grandmother has been at his side during the saddest moments of his life.

I have an idea what William was referring to.:sad:

Yes. It was similar to what he said when Philip died.

The Duke of York told one of the public at Balmoral earlier that they had today "for the family" (paraphrasing here) before they had to let her go - a reminder that she may have been "Her Majesty The Queen" but to them, she was "Mama" and "Granny." (Edited)

Last edited:
The Duke of York told one of the public at Balmoral earlier that they had today "for the family" (paraphrasing here) before they had to let her go - a reminder that she may have been "Her Majesty The Queen" but to them, she was their mother and grandmother first.

That makes a lot of sense. By declaring Friday day 0 instead of Thursday Charles bought the family some more time to say their private farewells. From the moment the coffin leaves Balmoral, she is no longer 'theirs' but the 'nation's'.

The whole family looks completely devastated. It must have came as such a shock to them all.

They did. Absolutely gutted. It must be so difficult to deal with the public element of this, when they’re all processing the loss of someone they dearly loved. And so soon after Philip passed.

That makes a lot of sense. By declaring Friday day 0 instead of Thursday Charles bought the family some more time to say their private farewells. From the moment the coffin leaves Balmoral, she is no longer 'theirs' but the 'nation's'.

Good point. I’m glad he did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep the discussion on this thread on the death of the Queen and topics around that. Speculation is against forum rules, so let's not go there.

King Charles III and Queen Camilla greet people outside Clarence House after meeting leaders from Parliament and the Church of England.

I lowered the flag at my workplace for the Queen, as our President decreed.

I am sorry, but as doing so, I did cry.

I am sure King Charles III will do well.

I'm an American, but perhaps I will say:

God save the King.

God bless the Royal Family as they deal with the loss of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

And God bless the UK.

With all respect and sorrow,

Hairball

For some days yes indeed but then at the close they will have her back.

I presume the committal at St George's will be private. I hope it is. We don't need to be spectators to that.

I got emotional from reading about the conversation between The Princess of Wales and group of children outside Windsor Castle, where she mentioned about Prince Louis saying "At least Grannie is with Great Grandpa now" :cry:

Roya Nikkhah @RoyaNikkhah
An emotional Princess of Wales told a group children that Prince Louis said of #TheQueen “At least Grannie is with Great Grandpa now” while another well-wisher said “It was really nice” to see William, Harry, Kate and Meghan together
3:54 AM · Sep 11, 2022·Twitter for iPhone​

King Charles III and Queen Camilla greet people outside Clarence House after meeting leaders from Parliament and the Church of England.

"King Charles, King Charles...Hello" shouted a man.

Not normally how one addresses the monarch but top marks for enthusiasm.:D

Shouts of "God save the king" & "all hail the king". My goodness I don't think anyone predicted this level of welcome.

I think it's all bloody marvellous. And very moving. And The Queen would have been so proud!!

The Duke of York told one of the public at Balmoral earlier that they had today "for the family" (paraphrasing here) before they had to let her go - a reminder that she may have been "Her Majesty The Queen" but to them, she was "Mama" and "Granny." (Edited)

I found the exact quote: "We've been allowed one day. Now we start the process of handing her on."

I am so glad that her children and grandchildren had private time with the late Queen's remains before having to "pass her on" as Andrew said.

This time last week it was just another late summer holiday at Balmoral for them. If it doesn't seem quite real to us, imagine how it must be for her loved ones.:sad:

I found it a touching and generous gesture of Prince William to invite Harry and Meghan to Windsor to join a walk through the crowd of mourners. It might have been one of the Queen’s fervent last wishes that her family be reunited. In death there is life and in life there may be forgiveness.

The coffin of Queen Elizabeth II is expected to leave her beloved Balmoral home at 10:00 Sunday. It will stop in Ballater before continuing on a deliberate route to Edinburgh, passing places with special meaning to Her Majesty. The slow procession will take most of the day.

Last edited:
Flora Vesterberg has pay tribute to Her Majesty The Queen on instagram with a picture of HM and Princess Alexandra The Hon. Lady Ogilvy in 1962.

@floravesterberg
Our last few days have been sorrowful as we mourn the sudden loss of our beloved Queen. As she devoted herself to her responsibilities, she always led with love and understanding from which all of us can learn. I will always remember her remarkable joie de vivre and the sparkle in her eyes whenever she spoke. This archival photograph taken at the Royal Festival Hall, London in 1962 of HM The Queen with my grandmother HRH Princess Alexandra, The Hon. Lady Ogilvy, her cousin and loyal friend, truly captures that. HM endured many challenges during her long reign and yet always brought hope and uplifted the lives of everyone that she encountered. For that and so much more, I will forever be grateful. #HMTheQueen
Edited · 16h​

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiVYJejIK0U/

It's so moving to see The Queen's coffin travelling on that road she knew so well all her life. I always think that Scotland is at its best in September, especially on a dry day. My father was a highland Scot and despite living most of his adult life in England, he never lost his love for 'home'.

Some mention was made of the family appearing to be gutted, drained by the solemn event, understandably so. Yet William seems to have a gift of uplifting, consoling others, and little to no fatigue while doing that.

Last edited:
To see the Queens coffin on her final journey through the streets of her beloved Scotland is deeply touching and one feels the loss the world has suffered because of her death. How great must be the grief for those to whom she was a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt or cousin...very touching....The world won’t be the same without her.

Last edited:
I hope I am not going too off topic when I say that my heart went out to Beatrice and Eugenie when the funeral date was announced, having to lay to rest one grandmother on the anniversary of the death of their other grandmother. I too am glad that Charles declared Friday Day 0, as it avoided the funeral being on Sienna’s first birthday, which will be Day 10 since the Queen’s passing.

I surprised myself by not crying on Thursday, as I had a cry during the Jubilee weekend. The Sapphire Jubilee was low key, so even if HM had made 101 like her mother, we knew that the Platinum Jubilee would be the last celebration. Seeing the Royals looking at the floral tributes yesterday set me off.

Back
Top Bottom