Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought about it as well, but I would expect a bit more effort to bring the coffin upstairs. She was literally the monarch three days ago.
I hope there are more reasonable reasons :(

...and having the coffin rest in the Bow Room is unreasonable? Not sure I understand. Are you arguing that it's disrespectful to her for her not to be in the Throne Room? I'm pretty sure the family doesn't agree with that, otherwise the plans would be altered.

Buckingham Palace is being renovated isn’t it and building works have gone on for some years. Perhaps the Throne Room is unsafe in some way or in a state of disrepair.

Precisely. The State floor is under deep restoration. All the functions attented by the King and the Queen are held on the gardens floor.

Precisely. The State floor is under deep restoration. All the functions by the King and the Queen are held on the gardens floor.

Don't think so. The throne room was used several weeks ago for awarding Honours. And the room were the King meet the Prime Minster on Friday evening is also one of the State rooms

Several posts about Peter Phillips and his family have been removed. Once you've made your point, it's time to move on so the thread stays on topic.

The Bow Room is the way onto the terrace & into the lovely garden. Maybe that's why HM will rest there awhile.

Don't think so. The throne room was used several weeks ago for awarding Honours. And the room were the King meet the Prime Minster on Friday evening is also one of the State rooms

Nope. The meeting was held in the 1844 Room, near the Bow Room, on the first floor overlooking the gardens.

The State level seems to be out of reach for functions for the moment. The King made his speech in the Blue drawing room though.

Last edited:
Nope. The meeting was held in the 1844 Room, near the Bow Room, on the first floor overlooking the gardens.

The State level seems to be out of reach for functions for the moment. The King made his speech in the Blue drawing room though.
But they were open to the public until the day HM died. Perhaps this is the reason, as there also the exhibition took place in several rooms

But they were open to the public until the day HM died. Perhaps this is the reason, as there also the exhibition took place in several rooms

Maybe ! There's a "problem" with the State floor anyway. I was quite suprised to see all the major meetings held on the gardens floor.

Me and hubby was at Windsor Castle today, to lay down some flowers. It was so emotional, and I am so glad we did it. And I have never seen so many flowers before, it was a beautiful sight.

With the princess royal accompanying her mother today from Balmoral to Edinburgh and Tuesday from Edinburgh to London it seems she is considered the 'head mourner' - given that her brother (as eldest child) is not available most of the time because of his many duties as the new king. Of course, in tomorrow's procession and at the funeral and other moments he will attend he will be in the lead but any other time seems to be 'given' to Anne.

With the princess royal accompanying her mother today from Balmoral to Edinburgh and Tuesday from Edinburgh to London it seems she is considered the 'head mourner' - given that her brother (as eldest child) is not available most of the time because of his many duties as the new king. Of course, in tomorrow's procession and at the funeral and other moments he will attend he will be in the lead but any other time seems to be 'given' to Anne.

There are different ways to interpret that, none of which might be correct, but are possible theories anyway.

1. Anne was the closest child to the Queen in her last years in particular (I don't know if that is correct since the Queen seemed to be more often with Sophie/Edward and Andrew was alleged her favorite son; Anne was supposed to be Philip's favorite).
  2. Anne is the second-born child. Notwithstanding precedence and the line of succession, which follow different rules, that gives her "seniority" in the family. In any case, Anne is at least the closest to Charles among the siblings in part because of age proximity.
  3. Anne can keep the "stiffest upper lip", so the role suits her.

The number of people who turned out to see the cortege was quite remarkable. Must be many tens of thousands all told. The number of cars that parked up everywhere.

A foretaste of what we will see as the days move on towards the funeral. There may well be millions upon millions in London for the lying in state & the later funeral. It must be quite over whelming to be at the centre of all that humanity & emotion.

I wonder whether a decision might be made to extend the route in central London after the abbey service.

Last edited:
There are different ways to interpret that, none of which might be correct, but are possible theories anyway.

1. Anne was the closest child to the Queen in her last years in particular (I don't know if that is correct since the Queen seemed to be more often with Sophie/Edward and Andrew was alleged her favorite son; Anne was supposed to be Philip's favorite).
  2. Anne is the second-born child. Notwithstanding precedence and the line of succession, which follow different rules, that gives her "seniority" in the family. In any case, Anne is at least the closest to Charles among the siblings in part because of age proximity.
  3. Anne can keep the "stiffest upper lip", so the role suits her.

The alternative to making Anne the 'principal mourner' after Charles would be to give that role to Andrew as the second son. While I am happy to see him fully included as her child, I don't think that would have been the wisest decision. Also, during her father's funeral she was given the 'second spot' next to her elder brother, so to me this flows naturally from how they went about the DoE's demise and subsequent mourning/funeral.

I was glad to see this, it’s her rightful place in my view if only one of the Queen’s younger children is able to accompany her. I do think the Perth Agreement should have been retrospective.

On the Vigil, I am expecting to see Anne after she took the typically male role of walking behind the coffin at her father’s funeral. If Charles cannot do it for obvious reasons, William may represent him, or the Earl Snowdon might take his place. I do hope the granddaughters also get the chance if they wish to do - in my view it would be a fitting tribute to a reign in which male primogeniture was mostly abolished.

To think we will never see that smile again. I just saw footage of her coffin for the first time, and it was a reality check.

Thought it was very moving to see the late queen's coffin travelling to Edinburgh, felt more real today

I feel like after Prince Phillip died she didn't really give up, but I think she didn't really want to live without him.

Not sure where to post this but for those in the UK, the BBC has put many many of its documentaries about the Queen on iplayer including the popular "Elizabeth at 90 - a family tribute" which sees the family, including the Queen, watching old family films. It is really very lovely.

What wonderded me: why was the royal hearse only guided by one motored police officer (in an ugly yellow jacket) and not by a ceremonial motorcade? With all the glanz und gloria of the Accession and the Proclamation, this "handling" of the hearse of a Queen was a bit a contrast to me. (This is what I mean, a ceremonial motorcade guides the hearse of Queen Juliana to be laid in state).

Last edited:
Maybe because it was a 6 hour drive on sometimes narrow Scottish roads? Or it was reflecting her simple life in Scotland?

There will surely be pump and circumstance in the coming days.

They expect waiting lines up to 30 hours to greet the coffin in London.

Last edited:
It's a very moving, and very Harry, statement. I'm glad he was able to express his love and grief. I also appreciate the theme of first meets, and acknowledging his father the King, perhaps this "first meet" will warrant a fresh start.

I am just coming back from a mostly non-internet journey. I'm looking through the way the world takes the death of HM and I can only say, Well done, Madame, to inspire this!

It's a very moving, and very Harry, statement. I'm glad he was able to express his love and grief. I also appreciate the theme of first meets, and acknowledging his father the King, perhaps this "first meet" will warrant a fresh start.

It’s very nice, very moving.

Agreed. I hope he lives up that he said about his father, the King. We’ll see.

I think Harry’s farewell to his grandmother was a lovely and heartwarming statement. It was indeed very Harry, and I can imagine him articulating it.

Back
Top Bottom