Charles III, Current Events Part 1: September 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These were pretty high awards, so it makes sense for the king himself to award it. The archbishop received the grand cross of the Royal Victorian Order and the Dean of Westminster Abbey was made knight commander of the same order. I wonder whether this is in relation to last year's coronation.

Yes I was also thinking that it may have connected to the Coronation!

Geoffrey Fisher and Cosmo Lang also received the GCVO after the coronations that they performed.

Today's recipients (based on the pictures):

Royal Victorian Order
Knight Grand Cross: The Most Reverend and Right Honourable Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury
Knight Commander: Very Reverend Dr David Hoyle, Dean of Westminster Abbey

The Royal Victorian Order was indeed awarded for services on the occasion of the Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla.

Order of British Empire
Dame Grand Cross: Labour MP Dame Margaret Beckett (for services parliamentary, political and public service)
Dame Commander: Dame Jilly Cooper (for services to literature and to charity)
Member: Dr. Sanjay Bhandari, Kick It Out (for services to sport)

King Charles as Colonel in Chief of The Household Division presented New Colours to No 9 and No 13 Company The Irish Guards at Windsor Castle today, June 10:

** gettyimages gallery **

I hope the King will be able to receive the Emperor of Japan on State Visit. He looked so tired at Ascot.

King Charles received Governor-General Designate of the Commonwealth of Australia Samantha Mostyn AO today, May 29:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery **
Samantha Mostyn's predecessor as Governor-General of Australia, General David Hurley (Ret.), has been also appointed a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO).

Posts about Sir Keir Starmer as new Prime Minister have been moved to a new thread, which you can find here:

The king met with actor Idris Elba at Clarence House , they later travelled onto St James's Palace.

The PM joins the conversation the King is having at a reception today following a discussion on youth opportunity with the King’s Trust

I couldn't help noticing the PM felt the need to put a hand on His Majesty's back after shaking hands. Not necessary, IMO. I am sure we all remember the "Lizard of Oz" moniker! New in his role, I am sure the PM will eventually learn the basic rules.

The PM joins the conversation the King is having at a reception today following a discussion on youth opportunity with the King’s Trust

I couldn't help noticing the PM felt the need to put a hand on His Majesty's back after shaking hands. Not necessary, IMO. I am sure we all remember the "Lizard of Oz" moniker! New in his role, I am sure the PM will eventually learn the basic rules.

These rules, if they are rules, seem to bother the press and royal watchers more than the Royals themselves. The King and Queen seem most unstuffy generally. They often greet people they know with a kiss on the cheeks, or, if the King is being particularly gallant, on the hand.

The PM is hardly a stranger to the King and they’ve met many times in the past. I’m sure Sir Kier has been well briefed and if the King were offended by it (which he certainly doesn’t seem to be) a quiet word would have been had. Personally, I think pearl clutching about a hand on the Royal personage, especially when there is no bad intent, seems a little OTT in this day and age.

After all, even that most hands off of monarchs, QEII placed her arm around the First Lady of the United States.

After all, even that most hands off of monarchs, QEII placed her arm around the First Lady of the United States.
Right, and as mentioned before, whereas it took a decade or so to filter out via Angela Kelly that the Queen didn't mind that one public instance (presumably to stop everyone from trying), it was only a few days at most after the current US President was as hands-on to the King as he is with everyone that BP confirmed "it's fine", more or less –– and that seems to apply not only to heads of state but to anyone else who wants to show TM some 21st century-normalized social affection.

Remember the King sadly spent a good bit of his life feeling isolated, disconnected, and/or disliked. I imagine he much prefers this.

These rules, if they are rules, seem to bother the press and royal watchers more than the Royals themselves. The King and Queen seem most unstuffy generally. They often greet people they know with a kiss on the cheeks, or, if the King is being particularly gallant, on the hand.

The PM is hardly a stranger to the King and they’ve met many times in the past. I’m sure Sir Kier has been well briefed and if the King were offended by it (which he certainly doesn’t seem to be) a quiet word would have been had. Personally, I think pearl clutching about a hand on the Royal personage, especially when there is no bad intent, seems a little OTT in this day and age.

I am well aware that the King and Queen are quite unstuffy, and are not averse to kissing people they know on the cheek. The King would also not necessarily mind the PM touching the King, as QE2 did not take offence to Michele O doing so. To me, it is about maintaining ones physical space, respecting the "office" of the head of state, and perhaps, more specifically, that the King is probably immuno-compromised because of his cancer treatment.

Today, King Charles III received the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy following the European Political Community meeting at Blenheim Palace.
The gathering saw 46 European leaders discuss a range of international challenges, opportunities and our common values.

Back
Top Bottom