Death and Funeral of Prince Michael of Greece: July 28 & August 1, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"The discreet funeral of Prince Michael is now over."
Attended by members of the Greek Royal Family, and Queen Sofia with her sister Princess Irene, these are photos from an agency.

Very sad to see Princess Irene in a wheelchair at the funeral.

Photo of funeral

Queen Anne Marie, Crown Prince Pavlos, Princesses Marie Chantal, alexia and Theodora

thank to the group of facebook, the greek royal family, I have found of photos in thsi group.

My Queen Sophia and Princess Irene, and Prince Nikolaos and Prince Philippos.
I read that it has already ended, now it would be the burial in the strictest privacy, in Tatoi.

I am also sad to see Irene in a wheelchair, but I imagine that this is the effects of age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its very warm in Athens 32-34 C forecast.
Was that Marina dressed all in white?

Lovely photos of the families attending Prince Michael's funeral today.

Please , I hope no one takes offence , but why do most of these photographs show everyone with broad grins . I understand that this family , as many are , do not live in proximity to each other , so they are catching up , in a way . Unfortunately in my own family we have had a few such events recently , at none of them can I recall such joy . Even as we were thankful for a release from suffering .

Please , I hope no one takes offence , but why do most of these photographs show everyone with broad grins . I understand that this family , as many are , do not live in proximity to each other , so they are catching up , in a way . Unfortunately in my own family we have had a few such events recently , at none of them can I recall such joy . Even as we were thankful for a release from suffering .
To me it looks like (as you say) a family that don’t see each other very often greets each other outisde of the Chapel before the ceremony starts..

It’s hard to predict how people will react as it is so individual how we react to grief… Some will be visibly upset and show lots of emotions in public… Others are not comfortable crying in front of cameras and maybe puts om a smile to spare personal reactions to more private moments

It seems it was a small funeral with only the greek royals beeing present near his own Family. Yes said to see Princess Irene in a wheelchair.

Here are some galleries and pictured articles:

** gtresnews gallery ** dailymail article ** rex gallery **

Thanks for sharing a Picture of Marina his Widow and his two Daughters Alexandra and Olga.

Last edited:
It appears Mareva Mitsotakis, who is married to the Greek Prime Minister, Kyriakos Mitsotakis has attended Prince Michael's funeral.

(..)

It is sad that we do not have more photos, and that the photographers are not experts in royalty, because there must be more people from the Orleans Family, I think

Wonderful to see the royal turnout at Prince Michael's funeral. I always enjoyed hearing his stories in interviews and documentaries. He was an interesting and charismatic person.

Photos from Tatoi. It was a beautiful, sunny day.

Rest in peace, Your Royal Highness.

More photos:

Video:

Photos of Queen Sofia and Prince Irene at Athens airport, Greece, after Prince Michael's funeral.

Good to see Anne-Marie, Pavlos and wife and all his siblings attending the funeral. After all, Pavlos is now the head of the family so good to see a large turn out for the funeral of a prince of Greece, even though he was only a first cousin twice removed. Most other grandchildren of prince Michael's first cousins (among which the Duke of Edinburgh's grandchildren) didn't show up, nor would I necessarily expect them to as they don't have this special position within the Greek royal family.

To much pictures of the royal family of Greece. They stole de show.
Princess Alexandra's family is unknown , Princess Olga is more because she married Duke Aimone of Aosta.I wonder why Princess Claude de France , Prince Aimone's Mother did not attend.
Perhaps more pictures will come. Stephane Bern was there!

Last edited:
Thank you all for the photos and videos. Good turn out for the funeral of such a kind and loving Prince!

It was nice to see all of Queen Anne-Marie's children attend. I wonder if some of them were already visiting Greece at the time of Michael's death, as it would be long trip for Theodora or Alexia on such short notice.

Their clothing also made me wonder if they hadn't had time to plan. They all seemed a little thrown together.

Claude d'Orléans, former Duchess of Aosta, first cousin of late Pcs Michel and also mother in law of Pcs Olga seems not to be present. She posted a lovely message when Stephan Bern announced the death, but she apparently did not travel.
Pcs Michel for at least 10 years lived in the same house with these cousins. Remains to see how many of them are still alive. The Dowager Duchess of Wurtenberg, the former Duchess of Aosta, Pcs Chantal and Pcs Anne at least. I don't know about males. No-one of them is young, so they might not be able to travel.. especially in such hot days.

Perhaps there will be a memorial service in France later on?

I saw the Duke de Chartres , Son of Prince Jacques , Duc d' Orleans in the rex galery. He married Ileana Manos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom