Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this on the news and could not believe it. I thought she was not going to let go of the throne, but now it all makes sense.

She was preparing for this moment since last year when she started taking hard decisions on the royal house to facilitate the path for King Frederik and Queen (consort) Mary.

(..)
Question for anyone in Denmark or it's vicinity: Since it's cold out there now, are the local news mentioning if there are plans for an official coronation when the weather gets warmer in spring or summer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw this on the news and could not believe it. I thought she was not going to let go of the throne, but now it all makes sense.

She was preparing for this moment since last year when she started taking hard decisions on the royal house to facilitate the path for King Frederik and Queen (consort) Mary.

(..)
Question for anyone in Denmark or it's vicinity: Since it's cold out there now, are the local news mentioning if there be plans for an official coronation when the weather gets warmer in spring or summer?

There is no coronation in Danmark. Simply a proclamation.

As for the issue of royal jewels. Mary will not be the one to wear the Crown Jewels as Queen consort. QMII may pass on to Mary some of her own pieces for her use. I assume she will continue to wear the ruby parure as Queen Ingrid did. But, I think QMII will keep some pieces for herself to wear when/if she attends events where tiaras are required, especially ones that were personal gift to her. I doubt she will have to ask Mary for permission or anything like that.

The Crown Jewels are reserved for the Queen, and normally in Denmark, that would have been the woman married to the king, not a Queen regnant like now, so Mary will be entitled to wear them, just as Queen Ingrid did.

Jewellery wise, Queen Margrethe dressed up. Therefore, this indicates that this was a special day for Queen Margrethe.

That was one of my doubts, she will always have a regiment with her then? She gets to keep her ladies in waiting, doesn't she?

Yes.

Using Queen Ingrid as a template, she had Dronningens Livregiment, that has now been amalgamated so it will be interesting to see what regiment will take over.
Dronningens Livregiment can be roughly translated to The Queen's Own Regiment of Foot. I.e. an army regiment that is not a guards regiment, but a regiment affiliated with a particular royal.
PH was affiliated with Prinsens Livregiment that has also been amalgamated. (That was the regiment in which Joachim served.)

The Crown Jewels are reserved for the Queen, and normally in Denmark, that would have been the woman married to the king, not a Queen regnant like now, so Mary will be entitled to wear them, just as Queen Ingrid did.

Oops - that was a typo on my post. I meant that Mary will now be the one to wear the crown jewels as Queen. Your post pointed out my typo, I went back and fixed it. :flowers:

There is no coronation in Danmark. Simply a proclamation.

So, it's just like in Spain where the new king or queen is proclaimed. Well, I'm hoping there will be a gala party at least in the plans.

Another question for our Scandinavian correspondents with access to immediate news from local TV, any mentions of what palace Queen MII will be residing in as her official residence upon retirement? I hope with the new freedom she gets the time to recover from her past surgery and gets to travel more around the country.

Two weeks from now?! Holy crap, that's so soon!

Do you think this was planned, or that she's just decided relatively out of the blue? And I hope it's not because she's ill.
Certainly this was planned. Nothing that important and with such an impact is unplanned. I am also surprised as The Queen once stated she would only leave office after she had "fallen off a stool"!

So, it's just like in Spain where the new king or queen is proclaimed. Well, I'm hoping there will be a gala party at least in the plans.

Another question for our Scandinavian correspondents with access to immediate news from local TV, any mentions of what palace Queen MII will be residing in as her official residence upon retirement? I hope with the new freedom she gets the time to recover from her past surgery and gets to travel more around the country.
It is even more simple and unglamourus as it is in Spain: In Spain there is a "ceremony" in front of parliament. In Denmark there is a proclamation on the Palace balcony lasting about 7 minutes...

Certainly this was planned. Nothing that important and with such an impact is unplanned. I am also surprised as The Queen once stated she would only leave office after she had "fallen off a stool"!

And that I believe was her intention.

I don't think there are any other motives behind this than QMII, on reflection, has decided that she can't do her job well enough anymore.

She has however also repeatedly said that she would step back if it was necessary for health reasons.
That does not mean that she is ill, but it could simply be that she is tired and feels she can't keep up anymore.
And at 83 that's a valid excuse. And she's still pretty sharp mind you!

Last edited:
OMG!!!!!!!! I am in TRUE shock on my New Years morning! I never thought she would abdicate, but I can understand.

I wish QMII all the best, and the soon-to-be new King a joyous reign

Thanks for all the replies!
I think we now have to set our calendars for the day and hope we get a live broadcast in YouTube or from the official royal social media pages. We need the Mods to create a coronation page for the articles and preparations toward the event in just...two weeks!

Hope we get to read about previous proclamations to have a frame of reference as the date approaches.
Now I got to log out and wish everyone here a Happy New Year tonight from us in NY. We will be celebrating the start of 2024 with the Ascencion of King Fredrick, the Tenth.

OMG!!!!!!!! I am in TRUE shock on my New Years morning! I never thought she would abdicate, but I can understand.

I wish QMII all the best, and the soon-to-be new King a joyous reign

How are the news in Australia taking the surprise announcement? It has to be major news, the first ever Australian born, and Pacific Ocean born, Queen of a European country. It has to be as big as in the 1950's when Grace Kelly became a princess of a country in Europe.

I guess she will retain her Palais at Amalienborg as the one of Frederik and Mary was renovated so that it could become the Kings Residence. And probably also Marselisborg. The question is if at Fredensborg she will keep the use of the Palace or if that will be given over the new King and Queen

Wasn’t there work going on nearby to M&Fs Chancellory House at Fredensborg? Everyone assumed it was for Christian or his siblings but maybe it was indeed always planned as a new residence for Daisy knowing M&F would move to Palace itself, or Daisy will move into M&Fs residence andChristian indeed into a newly created residence.

I assume provision will be made for her for an allowance or will she just be entitled to part of King Fredrik’s?

As of January 14th,King Frederik X and Queen Mary.
Danmark moves on.

I sincerely doubt QM will vacate Fredensborg, which is her primary home. The crown prince couple primarily live at Amalienborg.

How are the news in Australia taking the surprise announcement? It has to be major news, the first ever Australian born, and Pacific Ocean born, Queen of a European country. It has to be as big as in the 1950's when Grace Kelly became a princess of a country in Europe.

It's breaking news here simply because the new Danish Queen Consort is Australian-born. It's headline news, simply because New Years day is a slow news day.

My hometown news website doesn't have it as breaking news (unfortunately, there was tragic news of another woman being murdered by her partner:sad:), but there was an article yesterday that was speculating QMII's abdication.

CP Mary isn't the first Australian Queen Consort - Queen Susan of the Albanians was our first.

For any of our Danish posters who were watching the broadcast live, were you totally shocked and taken aback by the announcement or was their a sense that this was close?

I sincerely doubt QM will vacate Fredensborg, which is her primary home. The crown prince couple primarily live at Amalienborg.

Disagree with you there. Because Fredensborg might be needed for all sorts of official events, so they can't have QMII running around all over the place.
The palace first and foremost serves a function. Then it's a residence.
Kancellihuset is better and more undisturbed and she can still use the park as she pleases.

And when a boss retires, she needs to get out of the way, so the new boss can reign supreme.

And BTW congratulations on your first posts. :flowers:

When was the decision of Abdication taken after the King and Queen of Spain State Visit ?

Well, I’m not Danish but this is certainly a bolt out of the blue! No reigning Queen, instead a King Frederik. This will also change Mary’s life, and Christian’s. I wonder whether Queen Margrethe’s health has had something to do with this decision.

When was the decision of Abdication taken after the King and Queen of Spain State Visit ?

I personally doubt that she only made her mind up a month-and-a-half ago. I suspect this was known in the family, or at least with the CP Princely couple and high level government officials for the last year, at least. The amount of planning that needs to go into change-over of a Head of State would mammoth

Well, I’m not Danish but this is certainly a bolt out of the blue! No reigning Queen, instead a King Frederik. This will also change Mary’s life, and Christian’s. I wonder whether Queen Margrethe’s health has had something to do with this decision.
She is the only Queen regent at the moment - from the 14th Jan, we need to wait until one of the Crown Princesses heirs will ascend. I think Mary has been going through some serious Queen School over the last few years - especially where she was announced as part of Rigforstander as Crown Princess.

I think her health was the major reason to her abdication, but also QMII abdicating means she can educate Prince Christian as Crown Prince and eventual King, and allow Frederik and Mary to reign without the added stress of ensuring the heir is properly educated.

Last edited:
As for the terrible rumours and turmoil of the past month I already began to think there would never be a Queen Mary of Denmark... ! Thank God this did not happen - the new Queen always was and will be a jewel in Denmarks monarchy!

Its still quite early here in Aust and many are still sleeping in from NY celebrations, but the news is starting to spread quickly among the Danish and Scandinavian communities that I am connected to. The royal-interest communities are lighting up too! Its made news headlines over all the major media outlets too.

Before I leave for the night, I'll read the replies later, any early news on how her staff will be split? Will the people assigned to her service follow her in retirement or do they take new duties under Frederick and Mary?

Now I really got to go and start the New Year Celebration dinner in 2 hrs. For our friends in Australia congratulations on your second Aussie born royal!

Last question: Will the coats of arms for Frederick and Mary be altered, changed or updated in their future capacity moving from Crown Prince and Princess to King and Queen?

Last edited:
I think that the trip was also a chance for Mary to let her family know the news in person of the upcoming abdication.

Yes, I think the trip was to let her family know, as she'd only been here recently prior to this trip. I'm certain her family will attend any planned activities over in Denmark.

Before I leave for the night, I'll read the replies later, any early news on how her staff will be split? Will the people assigned to her service follow her in retirement or do they take new duties under Frederick and Mary?

Now I really got to go and start the New Year Celebration dinner in 2 hrs. For our friends in Australia congratulations on your second Aussie born royal!

Last question: Will the coats of arms for Frederick and Mary be altered, changed or updated in their future capacity moving from Crown Prince and Princess to King and Queen?

I imagine the Queen’s personal household staff - her maids, footmen etc will follow her. Her staff who serve her as sovereign - those who serve for the Lord Chamberlain, the Comms team etc will continue under the new Sovereign.

This is truly a surprise but she clearly has been contemplating the end of her reign since at least about 2 years ago. Her decisions on the change of titles for Joachim's children were made by her so that Frederik wouldn't have to do it during his reign (and went into effect a year ago). Clearly her declining health played into this decision but her surpassing the duration of the longest reigning monarch of Denmark and the coming of age of her heir's heir may also have played a part in the timing.

And how lovely for the crown princely family (minus Christian) that they were able to squeeze in a visit to Mary's family before this big life changing event is taking place.

Yes. Agree. This is not a recent thought for her. And im sure Frederik had been in conversations with her over time.
His speech about being ready to take over the ship. I think it was at her jubilee, will have to look it up.

This is not a recent months decision.
Changing the titles and not leaving it to Frederik, Elizabeth's death, Christian reaching 18, her being the longest reign and her surgery in February. Yep it all adds up.

I'm glad Mary was able to enjoy down under with Frederik and the kids.
And I'm sure Christian has been involved in a conversation or two, at least with Frederik. The recent documentary and him commented on attending Parliment next year.

I too am beyond shocked, however I believe it is the right decision.

I recall commenting many times on this forums how pained Queen Margrethe looks just performing basic duties, even walking one could see she was in excruciating pain.
Denmark deserves an active and able monarch one who can travel far and wide and serve the Danes.
The children are at the right age for their parents to be King and Queen.

Well done Queen Daisy. Even in this last major act as Queen she has shown she puts the monarchy and serving Denmark first!

Yes. Agree. This is not a recent thought for her. And im sure Frederik had been in conversations with her over time.
His speech about being ready to take over the ship. I think it was at her jubilee, will have to look it up.

This is not a recent months decision.
Changing the titles and not leaving it to Frederik, Elizabeth's death, Christian reaching 18, her being the longest reign and her surgery in February. Yep it all adds up.

I'm glad Mary was able to enjoy down under with Frederik and the kids.
And I'm sure Christian has been involved in a conversation or two, at least with Frederik. The recent documentary and him commented on attending Parliment next year.

I agree. All good points and now looking back on all the events you mentioned in light of the context of her announcement, things make alot of sense and puzzle pieces fall into better place.

This, I am sure, was not an easy decision for her and much deliberation, thought and reflection went into her making it. Not to mention, how much discussion she must have had with Frederik and Mary as well. She was not going to spring this on them during a nationally televised NYE speech. The amount of planning, logistics, changes, etc. that this entails is too massive to do it in two weeks. Basically, QMII gave her "company" the publicly required two weeks notice (like in the US) but the planning of this has been in motion for much longer than imo any of us can speculate. Maybe this was on her mind since before her surgery and after her surgery and the rehabilitation she realized what her body could and could not do/handle anymore and so it became clear to her that it was the right time to take this step.

Frederik and Mary are more than ready to take this on. Prince Christian will continue to learn his role now as Crown Prince and imo we may see Princess Isabella take on some public engagements as schooling allows.

And while popularity levels is not the be all and end all, the fact that both Frederik and Mary and also Christian enjoy high levels of popularity and confidence it is the issue of a popular monarch stepping aside for a new royal couple that has fantastic approval ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom