Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are copies of the two letters patent dated the day of the Queen's death, bearing her signature.

I'm not entirely sure how the dating works. Might they have been signed the day before and only dated as they were received? In any case, these are from very near the end.

Amazing to see documents signed by QE2 on the day of her death.

A to-the-minute recounting of what happened in the couple of days, and the actual day, of the passing of The Queen.

I didn’t know Charles was in the woods foraging for mushrooms when he was advised to get to Balmoral. I guess more details have come out since it happened.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...k-minute-minute-day-beloved-monarch-died.html

Reading this made me a bit teary actually.

And where the message “a fall” was passed to the newspaper editor, does this mean Her Majesty had a fall, an actual tumble.

The weird little things at historic moments … fancy the Prime Minister, Liz Truss, having to sit on the floor at Number 10 to write the speech. (Boris’ furniture had gone, but the replacements hadn’t yet arrived.)

Last edited:
A to-the-minute recounting of what happened in the couple of days, and the actual day, of the passing of The Queen.

I didn’t know Charles was in the woods foraging for mushrooms when he was advised to get to Balmoral. I guess more details have come out since it happened.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...k-minute-minute-day-beloved-monarch-died.html

And where the message “a fall” was passed to the newspaper editor, does this mean Her Majesty had a fall, an actual tumble.

The weird little things at historic moments … fancy the Prime Minister, Liz Truss, having to sit on the floor at Number 10 to write the speech. (Boris’ furniture had gone, but the replacements hadn’t yet arrived.)

As someone who's not the biggest fan of the Daily Mail, I found their article incredibly poignant. How does one prepare for the loss of such a long, important, and significant cultural and national symbol as HLM Queen Elizabeth II?

HenRach Dominion: "And where the message “a fall” was passed to the newspaper editor, does this mean Her Majesty had a fall, an actual tumble."

No. The BBC and other reliable sources said almost immediately after the "concern" announcement that there was an initial rumour of a fall but that the media were informed that it wasn't true. Nobody then mentioned it in subsequent coverage.

If I am interpreting the DM article correctly, Charles and William had already gone off to Birkhall when Harry arrived (who was received by his aunt Anne), and Harry left early morning the next day from Balmoral, so they most likely didn't see/meet each other at Balmoral...

Amazing to see documents signed by QE2 on the day of her death.

Did the Queen sign both the English and Welsh versions of the LPs? It appears that only the English versions are shown in the picture with her own signature.

EDIT: I am not sure if there is an actual physical copy of the LPs in Welsh, but both the English and the Welsh texts are printed in the Gazette.

I have to admit that I was teary eyed as well.

Did the Queen sign both the English and Welsh versions of the LPs? It appears that only the English versions are shown in the picture with her own signature.

EDIT: I am not sure if there is an actual physical copy of the LPs in Welsh, but both the English and the Welsh texts are printed in the Gazette.

Both have the Welsh text on the back. Only one side was signed.

Last edited:
I also shed a few years reading this account. I was working and watching BBC on my computer. I remember seeing the flag being lowered over Buckingham Palace a mere second or two before the broadcaster made the announcement.

If I am interpreting the DM article correctly, Charles and William had already gone off to Birkhall when Harry arrived (who was received by his aunt Anne), and Harry left early morning the next day from Balmoral, so they most likely didn't see/meet each other at Balmoral...

Yes I doubt they did. William and Charles left early next morning too. Them the rest of the grandchildren came and theyvleft when the Queen amd Anne left for Edinburgh. Always confused me why Harry didn't wait to see his cousins. Anyway how amd ever. That's how it worked.

Members of the public are to be asked to suggest ideas for memorials to the late Queen ... but a decision won't be made until 2026.

Please not a statue or anything of that sort. If it has to be something symbolic maybe a major airport could be named after her. Something useful that will be long lasting. As Queen Elizabeth was head of the Armed Forces for so long maybe facilities for homeless or aged veterans in her name.

Please not a statue or anything of that sort. If it has to be something symbolic maybe a major airport could be named after her. Something useful that will be long lasting. As Queen Elizabeth was head of the Armed Forces for so long maybe facilities for homeless or aged veterans in her name.

I agree, a living memorial , we have enough statues and paintings. An example I could give is when Charles and Diana married , instead of a wedding gift, Glasgow City council contributed to a fund for a hospice, which they called the Prince and Princess of Wales hospice . It is still there serving the people of Glasgow, still fund raising.

Goodness, she was Queen for over seven decades ~ she may deserve both a statue and a ‘living memorial.’

I'm in two minds with regards to a statue, on one hand i think she deserves a memorial (and not 'just' some building with her name on it, as i'm sure those will be there too) and a statue seems a way to do it, but if it turns out to be a 'lifelike' (don't know the correct word) statue..these imo rarely look good..

If it has to be a statue, i hope there will be a corgi too ❤️

Goodness, she was Queen for over seven decades ~ she may deserve both a statue and a ‘living memorial.’

Very True, all up for discussion.

You have made me visualise both of them together with a corgi at their feet in the pose we always saw on their wedding anniversary. Arm in arm looking at each other. I have changed my mind already and it is only 5 minutes into a discussion about it.

Last edited:
Given her love for horses, maybe a racetrack or horse competition named in her honor?

Always confused me why Harry didn't wait to see his cousins.

He might have felt the necessity to stay alone with his pain; sometimes people react just like that.

I think the idea's to have both - a statue and a living memorial.

I think the idea's to have both - a statue and a living memorial.

I understand some people feel that statues are cliche , but they are a standard form of tribute that has been made to previous monarchs too. Besides they tend to have more lasting historical value . Many structures ( as in buildings, roads, ships, or parks) from the past don’t exist anymore, but there are statues even from ancient civilizations that are still at least partially intact until today.

Last edited:
There will probably be a few. Victoria has the one outside BP and the one her daughter did at KP, and that's just the start. Any community with the funds and desire to have an Elizabeth statue will probably put one up.

As for living memorials, she famously loved infrastructure, so maybe there is something in the works?

I understand some people feel that statues are cliche , but they are a standard form of tribute that has been made to previous monarchs too. Besides they tend to have more lasting historical value . Many structures ( as in buildings, roads, ships, or parks) from the past don’t exist anymore, but there are statues even from ancient civilizations that are still at least partially intact until today.

Yes they do last for a very long time. However, they also appear to be great favourites of our feathered friends and I’ve seen several statues of royals and others absolutely splattered with white deposits over the years. Unless someone goes around with cleaning equipment every couple of days any statue of the Queen is likely to get into the same state after a year or so. Birds are no respecters of rank!

Having said that, I expect there will be a statue or two of Queen Elizabeth II in Britain. Not here in Aus though, and I doubt there will be any really in other countries around the Commonwealth. The time for erecting statues to dead monarchs has well and truly passed here.

Yes they do last for a very long time. However, they also appear to be great favourites of our feathered friends and I’ve seen several statues of royals and others absolutely splattered with white deposits over the years. Unless someone goes around with cleaning equipment every couple of days any statue of the Queen is likely to get into the same state after a year or so. Birds are no respecters of rank!

Having said that, I expect there will be a statue or two of Queen Elizabeth II in Britain. Not here in Aus though, and I doubt there will be any really in other countries around the Commonwealth. The time for erecting statues to dead monarchs has well and truly passed here.

If you dont want one in Australia dont have one.

I think she deserves a statue.

She already has a number of them.

She even said, back about 2012, that she wouldn't unveil any more of them.

Charles unveiled one to her last November in one of his first engagements after she died that wasn't related to becoming King and burying his mother.

This is a link to the images of many of those already in existence (yes I know that there are others in the collage but I am not going to go one by one when there are so many of them).

yes but she's gone now. I think it would be nice to see a good statue of her now that she's dead and has reigned for 70 years.

A small, very sweet living memorial:

'Queen Elizabeth had no regrets. She was at peace in the days before she died and her thoughts dwelled upon her faith, on her father and upon the beauty of Balmoral.

The Right Reverend, Dr Iain Greenshields, then Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, spent a few days at the castle last summer as a guest of the Queen, as was traditional.

Her Late Majesty was frail, he told me, but that, in a series of one-to-one conversations, he found her mentally sharp and contemplative, preoccupied in particular with her faith and that of her father, George VI.

During those final meals, the Queen spoke of her faith and continued to do so in private conversations with Dr Greenshields. Her love of Scotland, and Balmoral in particular, came through.

?At one point in our conversations she went to the window and said ?who would not want to be here?. She was in a very peaceful, private place. She was at peace.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...elled-faith-father-sheer-beauty-Balmoral.html

Her Late Majesty was frail, he told me, but that, in a series of one-to-one conversations, he found her mentally sharp and contemplative, preoccupied in particular with her faith and that of her father, George VI.

I think it’s awful that these conversations were not held in confidence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom