Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the official press release about the death certificate:

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/news/...eases-extract-of-death-entry-for-hm-the-queen

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//images/entry-in-the-register-of-deaths-hm-the-queen.jpg

Has Anne ever used her married surname? For her first wedding, she used Mountbatten-Windsor, for her second marriage she didn’t use a surname.

She was charged in court under the name Anne Elizabeth Alice Laurence in 2002. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/nov/21/monarchy

I agree with your thoughts. I was shocked, even though she had gotten more frail this year. I guess I was in denial. I really expected her to live as long as the Queen Mother did.

I think that was the general expectation. Everyone seemed shocked. Even though, she was clearly becoming more frail.

I think that was the general expectation. Everyone seemed shocked. Even though, she was clearly becoming more frail.

Its very hard to contemplate the world without a figure who had essentially been there for as long as all the people around you could remember.

I've been putting off commenting until I could come to terms with her passing but that hasn't quite happened yet. It's such a strange feeling- yes, she was 96 years old and people her age pass on all the time but somehow it all just feels wrong.

She was always there. For the vast majority of people she was the only British monarch they had ever known in their entire lives. No matter what else was going on in the world, no matter who was ascending to power or who was leaving office, the Queen was always there. Her presence was as unchanging as the sunrise & sunset.

I don't think it mattered where you came from, if you were a monarchist or a republican- when someone said something like "The Queen arrived today", we all knew who they were talking about, no further explanation was necessary.

For me it was obvious that HM started to fail after Prince Philip's death- the difference in her at his funeral and in her Christmas speech that year was jarring to me. I hadn't seen any pictures or video of her between those events & I was stunned at the change in her. She'd lost weight and honestly something clearly had gone out of her, there was an uncertainty about her. And well there might be seeing how she'd lost not only her husband but her most trusted advisor & friend.

I firmly believe that in addition to old age HM died of a broken heart. She & Prince Philip were married for such a long time and had been for the most part quite happy together. I think going on without him became just too much for her to bear along with all the responsibilities of being Queen. This isn't a criticism- she more than lived up to her famous pledge to spend her entire life in service to her country, why 48 hours before her death she met with a new Prime Minister.

Sorry for the length of this post, there's just so much that has been going through my mind since she died. No she wasn't my Queen (I'm American) but my own mother was the daughter of English immigrants & she followed the Queen until her own death earlier this year, so I grew up following her too. These two women will always be linked in my mind & in my heart.

Rest in peace Your Majesty & thank you.

It might not be reasonable to be shocked when a frail 96 year old passes away but I was.

Her smile just 48 hours before the end when she received the new PM was so reassuring. And just like Prince William, part of me expected that she would live forever.

RIP Your Majesty.

I agree with your thoughts. I was shocked, even though she had gotten more frail this year. I guess I was in denial. I really expected her to live as long as the Queen Mother did.

Yes she was frail, yes she was old, but surprisingly none of her Doctors nor even her children were worried that she would die in the immediate future. Anne as a loving daughter got to spend some quality time with her while Charles and Camilla were just down the road at Birkhall, the rest of the family was back at work in Windsor.

It just struck me that while we were told she was taking a couple of days of rest nobody, medical or family was alarmed or thought her death was imminent. I believe her condition deteriorated so fast that there was not even time to even notify the family so they could arrive in time except for Charles. In short, there was no death watch.

When you think about it you have to believe that the Queen just slipped away a mere two days after she received the outgoing and incoming Prime Ministers. There were no weeks of ill health, no signs of cognitive problems, nothing to cause us undue alarm.

It is my firm belief that she just slipped away quietly and with dignity to be with her beloved "strength and stay" Philip. In short, she died of a broken heart. The only problem is that you cannot put that on a Death Certificate so . . . old age was the recorded cause of death.

When you think about it I believe that is exactly as she would have wished.

I agree, Queen Elizabeth II has been around for so long. She was someone who was supposed to live forever.
Immediately after the news of her death broke, I thought: the passing of Prince Philip has deleted the legs from her foundation.

"Lucky" for her (for want of a better word), she's only had to do without him for a year and a half.

"Over 50,000 letters and cards have been sent to The King, The Queen Consort and Members of The Royal Family following the death of Queen Elizabeth.

A small but dedicated Correspondence Team are carefully sorting, reading and responding to the messages as they arrive."

She probably does if Phillip lives longer. Old age/Broken heart is likely what contributed but yes I was shocked too. She looked so beautiful on Tuesday with her smile and then 2 days later it was over. I am so happy we had 70 years of her to look back on in the future. What a remarkable woman who will always be missed.

Her official name/title is HRH the Princess Royal, Mrs Timothy Laurence, but I can’t think where she’s ever used Laurence.

Princess Royal is a substantive title and can be used without her name. Prior to 1987, her formal title was HRH The Princess Anne, Mrs Mark Phillips.

Princess Royal is a substantive title and can be used without her name.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "substantive", but it is not the word I would use. "Princess Royal" is not a peerage and is not attached to any privileges or even precedence.

There was a memorial Service held yesterday at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin ,the Cathedral once served as the Chapel to “The Most Illustrious Order of the Knights of Saint Patrick”

There was a memorial Service held yesterday at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in Dublin ,the Cathedral once served as the Chapel to “The Most Illustrious Order of the Knights of Saint Patrick”

My goodness, it would be many decades, perhaps nearly a hundred years, since that Order was awarded to anyone. No-one alive now who would have received it.

Last edited:
My goodness, it would be many decades, perhaps nearly a hundred years, since that Order was awarded to anyone. No-one alive now who would have received it.

The last surviving knight was HRH Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester who died in 1974!

The last surviving knight was HRH Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester who died in 1974!

That was very late in the day! I expect several British royals received it over the first part of the 20th century. When did the Duke receive his, I wonder?

I just looked it up. 1934! So he became a Knight more than a decade after Irish independence!

Last edited:
That was very late in the day! I expect several British royals received it over the first part of the 20th century. When did the Duke receive his, I wonder?

I just looked it up. 1934! So he became a Knight more than a decade after Irish independence!

According to Wikipedia, the Duke of Gloucester recived it in 1934… The Prince of Wales (Edward VIII) recived it in 1927 and The Duke of York (George VI) recived it in 1936…

The last non-royal to recive it was the 3:rd Duke of Abercorn (in 1922) and the last non-royal recipient to pass away was the 9:th Earl of Shaftesbury (in 1961)

Thanks Hans-Rickard. Extraordinary how this particular Order lingered on after Eire became independent!

Thanks Hans-Rickard. Extraordinary how this particular Order lingered on after Eire became independent!

Ireland only became a Republic in 1948,prior to that the Free State was a dominion of the Crown.

There was talk during the Presidency of Mary McAleese about reviving the Order of St Patrick jointly with the Queen but that is most certainly off the agenda under the ubber egalitarian Micheal D Higgins.

Buckingham Palace will donate hundreds of Paddington Bear teddies, left after the Queen died, to the children's charity Barnardo's

"��Please look after this bear

The Queen Consort is pictured with some of the 1,000 teddy bears that were left in tribute to Queen Elizabeth, and will shortly find new loving homes with @barnardos_uk children’s services. The bears have been scrubbed up to look their best, before they are delivered to their new home.

The bears are currently being well looked after at Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and in the Royal Parks nursery located in Hyde Park.

The photograph was taken by @chrisjacksongetty at Clarence House on 13 October 2022 - the 64th anniversary of the publication of the first Paddington bear book."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjv-YfdsQIS/?hl=el

Last edited:
Awwww. That's so sweet and touching.

That is wonderful that the bears will get new homes.

That is an adorable photo of Camilla with the bears.

I just realized that the Queen Elizabeth II and her consort, the late Duke of Edinburgh were the last survivors of their immediate families. The late Queen was the eldest daughter and only one who outlived her parents and younger sister and the DOE was only son and youngest child of his parents and lived up till 99 whereas none of his siblings lived up to 90.

The same was true of the Queen Mother. The last of her nine siblings died 35 years before her.

The same was true of the Queen Mother. The last of her nine siblings died 35 years before her.

That's very true and her parents died when her daughters were young too.
Lady Cecilia Bowes-Lyon 1938
Lord Claude Bowes-Lyon 1944.

I was looking to see if the letters patent for the Prince of Wales had been gazetted yet (no) and I found that the Queen signed two letters patent giving the royal assent to Welsh legislation on the day she died:

WITNESS Ourself at the Court at Balmoral Castle

The eighth day of September 2022

in the seventy-first year of Our Reign

By The Queen Herself Signed with Her Own Hand.

These could well have been her last official acts.

Last edited:
I was looking to see if the letters patent for the Prince of Wales had been gazetted yet (no) and I found that the Queen signed two letters patent giving the royal assent to Welsh legislation on the day she died:

These could well have been her last official acts.

This is probably very last act of the queen. PM Truss got message queen's collapsing health already same morning and Charles was brought morning I think.

These are copies of the two letters patent dated the day of the Queen's death, bearing her signature.

I'm not entirely sure how the dating works. Might they have been signed the day before and only dated as they were received? In any case, these are from very near the end.

Attachments

• TER Act.jpg
    TER Act.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Welsh Tax Act LP.jpg
    Welsh Tax Act LP.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom