Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks very much like the Strathmore to me. It's entirely possible that the bride was offered a selection by QE2 and chose this one. I really hope somebody wears it at the coronation so we have a good view of it.

Why should Queen Elizabeth have loaned a tiara to someone like Lady Tatiana to whom she herself was not very closely related. As far as i recall she has never done that before.

And as long as we don't have better pics from Lady Tatiana on her Wedding Day where the tiara can be better seen we can speculate long.

Why should Queen Elizabeth have loaned a tiara to someone like Lady Tatiana to whom she herself was not very closely related. As far as i recall she has never done that before.

And as long as we don't have better pics from Lady Tatiana on her Wedding Day where the tiara can be better seen we can speculate long.

Tatiana's grandfather was Prince Philip's cousin and the best man at HMQ & Philip's wedding. The families have remained friendly so if there was no Mountbatten tiara for Tatiana to wear, it's seems entirely possible that HMQ would have loaned her one.

That looks very much like the Strathmore to me. It's entirely possible that the bride was offered a selection by QE2 and chose this one. I really hope somebody wears it at the coronation so we have a good view of it.

I also agree that the tiara looks like the Strathmore Rose Tiara.
The last picture of the bride shows more of the tiara under her veil than the other wedding pictures.

If dreams do come true then we'll get to see the PoW in the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland. However, I suspect it's far more likely that we'll see her in the Cambridge Lovers Knot. And I really believe we'll see Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara, and Gabriella all in their wedding tiaras which I loved so I'm excited about. If Sarah Ferguson is invited I fully expect her to wear the York Tiara. I don't expect to see the Sussexes there so I 100% believe that the beautiful Queen Mary's bandeau is well and truly locked away in the vaults for the next several decades. This is such a shame because it's a gorgeous and historic piece that deserves to be seen. I expect to see Princess Anne in the Festoon which is a beautiful piece but I'd really love to see her wear something large, sparkly, and new to her. As for Sophie, I really, really want to see something new to her and gorgeous. Maybe the Teck Crescent or, if it still exists somewhere deep in the vaults, the Boucheron Loop. Perhaps even the Diamond Lozenge. I'd really love to see Louise in either the Lotus Flower or the Halo or even the Cartier Bracelet Bandeau. Preferably the Halo. Since we know that Camilla's children will be present, I fully expect Laura to wear the Cubitt and I have to say this is a stunning tiara. As a February baby and a massive fan of amethysts I'd love nothing more than for there to be a beautiful amethyst tiara lying around the vaults somewhere that could we wheeled out and shock us all but I know better than to expect that to happen. And while I know it's highly unlikely, I'd dearly love to see the Fife Tiara worn. Since it's now in the possession of the nation it might, just maybe, be possible to bring it out for the coronation, might be a beautiful possibility for Lady Sarah since the stunning Poltimore is no longer available.

Last edited:
If i recall it right the british royal ladies wore diamond or diamond and pearl tiaras at the coronations in 1937 and 1953 so i guess that they will do the same and we will not get to see tiaras with coloured stones on them.

If i recall it right the british royal ladies wore diamond or diamond and pearl tiaras at the coronations in 1937 and 1953 so i guess that they will do the same and we will not get to see tiaras with coloured stones on them.

If that's the case then Eugenie will have to wear something different than the tiara she wore at her wedding. If the Strathmore Rose still exists, this could be an option for her.

I expect that we'll see Louise in a smaller tiara since she's just 18 - the Cartier Halo wouldn't surprise me for her.

And Lady Sarah Chatto could borrow the Lotus Flower, which would be rather nice since her mother also wore it long ago.

Presuming a diamond or diamond & pearl tiara edict for the coronation would also rule out the aquamarine tiara for Sophie. She's the one I'd hope gets a new, really nice piece from the vault, even if only for this one event.

Presuming a diamond or diamond & pearl tiara edict for the coronation would also rule out the aquamarine tiara for Sophie. She's the one I'd hope gets a new, really nice piece from the vault, even if only for this one event.

If it must be diamonds/pearls, then Sophie has her wedding antlers (sadly) so will probably not get an upgrade. Trotting out the mysterious double meander wouldn't be a tragedy, but I think it's unlikely we ever see it again (more sadly).

Wasn’t the Princess Mary, The Countess of Harewood wearing her big sapphires both times? Whatever, if true, Eugenie needs another tiara.
However, Sophie’s aquas are so pale that I think they won’t be a problem. At least not a problem because of the color, but more because both tiaras are inadequate for a senior Princess in her late fifties.

Tatiana's grandfather was Prince Philip's cousin and the best man at HMQ & Philip's wedding. The families have remained friendly so if there was no Mountbatten tiara for Tatiana to wear, it's seems entirely possible that HMQ would have loaned her one.

David Mountbatten and Philip were once close but David apparently exploited his position after the wedding (the precise details are not very clear), fell out of favor and never regained it. Furthermore it doesn't make that much sense for the Queen to offer her mother's tiara to the Mountbattens, when there was no love lost by anybody there, ever.

Who represents the Mountbattens at the Coronation and what they'll wear should be interesting. It would be so nice if Lady Pamela attends.

In 1937 the Princess Royal wore the Harewood Diamond and Sapphire Parure, Princess Maud Countess of Southesk wore Queen Alexandra’s Amethyst Parure and Princess Marie Louise wore the Cartier Indian Tiara - so if there is a rule or reccomendation of no coloured stones, it can’t be a very hard one

Last edited:
In 1937 the Princess Royal wore the Harewood Diamond and Sapphire Parure, Princess Maud Countess of Southesk wore Queen Alexandra’s Amethyst Parure and Princess Marie Louise wore the Cartier Indian Tiara - so if there is a rule or reccomendation of no coloured stones, it can’t be a very hard one

Ok than i remebered it wrong. I also did not mean that it was really arule.

David Mountbatten and Philip were once close but David apparently exploited his position after the wedding (the precise details are not very clear), fell out of favor and never regained it. Furthermore it doesn't make that much sense for the Queen to offer her mother's tiara to the Mountbattens, when there was no love lost by anybody there, ever.

It's debatable whether any ill-feeling extended to David's sons, who have appeared on the Buckingham Palace balcony as adults and the younger son is very close friends with Prince Edward. I don't think HMQ was petty enough to deny a bride a particular tiara due to some historical family fall-out.

It's debatable whether any ill-feeling extended to David's sons, who have appeared on the Buckingham Palace balcony as adults and the younger son is very close friends with Prince Edward. I don't think HMQ was petty enough to deny a bride a particular tiara due to some historical family fall-out.

And I can't think of a single Mountbatten Elizabeth the Queen Mother was particularly chummy with, ever. It's not a matter of pettiness but I don't think her mother's tiara would be the first one the Queen would have proffered to them (the Mountbattens were equally aware of the dislike), especially as she had so many available.

And I can't think of a single Mountbatten Elizabeth the Queen Mother was particularly chummy with, ever. It's not a matter of pettiness but I don't think her mother's tiara would be the first one the Queen would have proffered to them (the Mountbattens were equally aware of the dislike), especially as she had so many available.

What's the most recent photo out there of a member of the BRF wearing it? From the 1920's? The 1930's maybe?

I would hazard a guess that the then Duchess of York, who never expected to become Queen when she got married, happily wore a very au courant bandeau as a young royal bride. But when she was soon upgraded to Queen Consort, and had a vault of splendid jewels at her disposal, the very girlish Strathmore Rose tiara was swiftly banished to the bottom of the chest.

Perhaps QEII was happy to lend a young bride a very young styled wedding tiara that no one in her immediate family had ever fancied, and which she had never worn herself, instead of a more significant piece.

Although I would argue that it would be well suited for Louise for the coronation, as it does have a second frame to be worn in the traditional fashion and she is a lovely young girl who would do it justice.

What's the most recent photo out there of a member of the BRF wearing it? From the 1920's? The 1930's maybe?

The only member of the british RF who has worn it was Queen Elizabeth. And she wore it a few times after her husband became King in the 1930's.

My guess if Queen Sofia attends with Leonor,Princess of Asturias its will be the Fleur de lys on Queen Sofia and the Prussian Tiara on the Princess!

If Infanta Elena represents Spain it will be the Marichalar Meander Tiara or the Prussian Tiara.

The only member of the british RF who has worn it was Queen Elizabeth. And she wore it a few times after her husband became King in the 1930's.

I just don't think there was any overly sentimental attachment to the Strathmore Rose on HLM's part to where she would refuse to discretely loan it out to a young relative. Aside from the well known photo session of Queen Elizabeth in the tiara, I've only seen one other photo of her wearing it post wedding. At a time when diamonds were still worn for everyday dinner at BP, it doesn't seem to have particularly been a favorite of hers, nor was it used by anyone else after her (that we know of).

It's also highly likely that the Strathmore Rose was originally the tiara of Baroness Newborough and not something specially designed for the Earl of Strathmore for his daughter's wedding day. It also wasn't necessarily the bandeau style itself that Queen Elizabeth didn't care for either, as there are photos of her wearing the Lotus like that as well.

We also know that she didn't have any issues wearing jewels worn first by someone else since her firm favorites seemed to come from the Greville collection. I'm sure we'll see a few pieces from there at the coronation, especially if Eugenie wears her wedding tiara, which would be nice.

I just don't think there was any overly sentimental attachment to the Strathmore Rose on HLM's part to where she would refuse to discretely loan it out to a young relative. Aside from the well known photo session of Queen Elizabeth in the tiara, I've only seen one other photo of her wearing it post wedding. At a time when diamonds were still worn for everyday dinner at BP, it doesn't seem to have particularly been a favorite of hers, nor was it used by anyone else after her (that we know of).

It's also highly likely that the Strathmore Rose was originally the tiara of Baroness Newborough and not something specially designed for the Earl of Strathmore for his daughter's wedding day. It also wasn't necessarily the bandeau style itself that Queen Elizabeth didn't care for either, as there are photos of her wearing the Lotus like that as well.

We also know that she didn't have any issues wearing jewels worn first by someone else since her firm favorites seemed to come from the Greville collection. I'm sure we'll see a few pieces from there at the coronation, especially if Eugenie wears her wedding tiara, which would be nice.
I love the Strathmore rose tiara, it is just to pretty.
Had I been in the position of marrying into the BRF, that tiara would have been my first choice.

I love the Strathmore rose tiara, it is just to pretty.
Had I been in the position of marrying into the BRF, that tiara would have been my first choice.
Me too and I'd love to see Lady Louise wearing it.

I also agree that Lady Louise should wear the Strathmore Rose Tiara.
It is wonderful that the Strathmore Rose Tiara is getting so much written attention!

My guess if Queen Sofia attends with Leonor,Princess of Asturias its will be the Fleur de lys on Queen Sofia and the Prussian Tiara on the Princess!

If Infanta Elena represents Spain it will be the Marichalar Meander Tiara or the Prussian Tiara.

Would Leonor be allowed to wear a tiara? She won't be 18 in May.

I'm not convinced that Tatiana asked the Queen to loan her one of her tiaras. I didn't get the impression that they were so very close.
I see 2 options here. Either there is a very similar tiara created around the same time as the Strathmore Rose tiara and by the same jeweller. Situations like this happen a lot. Remember that aristocratic lady who wore an amethyst necklace almost identical to the Queen's Kent amethyst necklace? Princess Alexandra has a necklace almost identical to Queen Victoria's diamond and pearl necklace owned by QEII (there was also one necklace sold at Sotheby's years ago that looks the same).
Second option is that some other jeweler made a recreation of the Strathmore Rose tiara. Also nothing new. Jewelers do from time to time recreate some other jewels with more or less success.

Anyhow, I too hope to see this tiara on Lady Louise.

Would Leonor be allowed to wear a tiara? She won't be 18 in May.

Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg was 17 the first time she wore a tiara. While almost every family tends to stick to the "wait until 18" for a tiara, it's not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

I can see someone making an exception for this event, given it happens so very rarely. We haven't haven't seen one since 1953, after all. Though the next one will likely happen in a much more "reasonable" time. Should the monarchy last that long.

I really hope the British royal family and guests will wear Tiaras, especially for the British royal family. We may not seen so many Tiaras at one day-for many years. Of course I hope to see serious bling but there is no guarantee, Princess Margret wore the Halo scroll Tiara, a very small Tiara in my opinion and she was the 3rd in line back in 1953. My wish would be the Fringe or Girls of great Britain for the Princess of Wales. The Lotus would be good option for Zara, Eugenie or Beatrice, yes it was worn by the Princess of Wales but maybe it could be an one time loan. Another Question, may we see Camilla's daughter in the Cubit-Shand Tiara? And what about Lady Sarah Chatto? i think we will see her, maybe with the Turquoise Tiara?

At the moment it looks like monarchs are invited too, but I don't think we will see King Harald and Queen Sonja it seems to be likely CP Haakon and CP Mette Martit will attend, it would be a good opportunity to loan the Empress Josephine Emerald or Queen Josephine´s Diamond Tiara. If reigning monarchs actually attend the coronation it seems to be likely King Felipe and Queen Letizia attend. Queen Letizia and the Fleur de Lys a safe bet. Queen Mathilde and 9 provinces Tiara also pretty sure. Maxima could wear the full setting of the Stuart again or the Sapphire Tiara. I hope Queen Margrethe will be able to attend the Coronation If not, we may see CP Mary with Ruby Parure but I hope Queen Margrethe will loan her the Pearl Poire- i know very unlikely.

Queen Mary's fringe tiara would be nice for the Princess of Wales. For Zara i guess it will be her Wedding tiara and for Eugenie either her Wedding tiara or the diamond and sapphire bandeau or that one for Eugnie. There is also another bandeau tziara in the Vaults which was last worn by Princess Margaret in the 1960's. For Lady Sarah i think she could again put the floral brooches in a frame like for her Wedding

Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg was 17 the first time she wore a tiara. While almost every family tends to stick to the "wait until 18" for a tiara, it's not necessarily a hard and fast rule.

I can see someone making an exception for this event, given it happens so very rarely. We haven't haven't seen one since 1953, after all. Though the next one will likely happen in a much more "reasonable" time. Should the monarchy last that long.
Unfortunately Spanish royals very strict-Letizia was not allowed to wear Tiara two weeks before her own wedding- Leonor might wear just a necklace no Tiara. On the other Queen -then Princess Sofia- wore the Prussian Tiara months before her 18th birthday...

Queen Mary's fringe tiara would be nice for the Princess of Wales. For Zara i guess it will be her Wedding tiara and for Eugenie either her Wedding tiara or the diamond and sapphire bandeau or that one for Eugnie. There is also another bandeau tziara in the Vaults which was last worn by Princess Margaret in the 1960's. For Lady Sarah i think she could again put the floral brooches in a frame like for her Wedding
I think you mean the Lozenge Bandeau? There is also a mystery Tiara worn by P.Anne and Two Aquamarine Tiaras worn by Sophie.

I don't think Zara would want to wear a tiara, she distances herself very resolutely from anything that marks her out as 'royal'. I think she wore one on her wedding day as it's something that a lot of bride's wear (although most bridal tiaras are not made from real diamonds).

At the moment it looks like monarchs are invited too, but I don't think we will see King Harald and Queen Sonja it seems to be likely CP Haakon and CP Mette Martit will attend, it would be a good opportunity to loan the Empress Josephine Emerald or Queen Josephine´s Diamond Tiara.

The emeralds has been worn at the three latest British coronations so it'd be a shame to break that tradition.

Back
Top Bottom