The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Governor General Michaelle Jean, dressed in a Canadian Air Force uniform, lays a wreath during a ceremony to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain in Ottawa September 19, 2010. Image gallery

Great! This is what a Governor General is for.:flowers: Though, I really like to see women in skirts on official occasions, even in uniform.

Governor General Michaelle Jean, dressed in a Canadian Air Force uniform, lays a wreath during a ceremony to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain in Ottawa September 19, 2010. Image gallery

Great pictures!!

Sad too though, as I guess this will be one of her final Official Functions as Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces. When does she leave office? October 1st?

Still...In my memory, she's the only GG I've ever seen in Uniform and I think it's great!!

After all, as the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, it's only right the GG should wear the respective uniforms of the Services. When it's right to do so. I would hope the incoming GG keeps this up and we see him wearing the Navy's Uniform on Remembrance Day. W/it being the 100th Anniversary of the Navy this year, it's only fitting that uniform should be the one wore for November 11th on the GG.

Then again...It's also late and I'm battling a touch of the flu, so that could just be the Tylenol I took for my slight temp kicking in and I'm making no sense whatsoever!!

;o)

She has worn various uniforms over the years.

Jean proud to wear navy uniform

"You can see how far I have come, from the child who saw her parents, her family, her friends grappling with the horrors of oppression ... And I can say before you now with absolute certainty that it is an honour and a source of great pride for me to wear your uniform." CBC News - Canada - Jean presents new flag to the Canadian navy

And in Ottawa last year on Remembrance Day with Prince Charles: November 11, 2009

In Afghanistan:
paying respects at a memorial to Canadian soldiers who have died in Afghanistan during a visit to Kandahar Air Field, September 8, 2009.

She has worn various uniforms over the years.

I know. All I was saying is that she's the only GG that I can remember who has wore the various Uniforms of the Armed Forces when it's the right time and place to do so.

Of course, other GG's very well could have worn them as well, but Mme Jean's the only one I can remember who has.

She also looks really good in them too.

Outgoing GG to fete successor in second break of tradition

OTTAWA — In what appears to be a new tradition, Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean and her husband will attend Friday's elaborate installation of her replacement David Johnston.

Although she will play no official role, Jean will be there as a guest, organizers confirmed Monday.

. . . Outgoing governors general have typically not attended the installation of their successor, but Adrienne Clarkson reversed that trend when she attended Jean's ceremony five years ago despite some controversy.

Before her, it hadn't happened since 1898 when Lord Aberdeen attended the installation ceremony for the Earl of Minto. The Marquess of Lorne also attended the installation for Lord Landsdowne in 1883.

Read more: Outgoing GG to fete successor in second break of tradition

Was watching the Individual Reining Finals from the World Equestrian Games in Kentucky on CBC Bold earlier this afternoon and they were promoting their coverage of tomorrow's Investiture Ceremony during every single commerical run. Their coverage starts at 10am on both CBC News Network and the Main Network. They'll also be doing a look back over Michaelle Jean's time as the GG and also what her legacy will be.

Her Excellency carried out her final Official Duty/Engagement as the Governor General today, as she and her Family planted a tree sapling on the grounds of Rideau Hall. She also thanked the Staff for all they've done for her and her Family over their years there.

Her successor has some rather big shoes to fill starting tomorrow.

I really like our current GG wish she didn't have to see well least see how her successor does!

A couple of videos:

Gov. Gen. Jean gets 21-gun salute
- An emotional Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean was given a 21-gun salute during her final appearance before the Canadian Forces as their commander in chief (September 29, 2010)

Michaëlle Jean's last day

Michaëlle Jean says goodbye - The Globe and Mail - Article with video

Welcome, David Johnston. And thanks, Michaëlle Jean - The Globe and Mail - Article with videos and pictures

Governor-General Michaelle Jean inspects the guard during a military farewell ceremony in Ottawa September 29, 2010. Jean will be replaced by David Johnston who will be sworn-in as Canada's 28th governor-general on October 1, 2010: Image Gallery - must've been very emotional for her, she was moved to tears as she met some of the veterans

Governor General Michaelle Jean, her husband Jean-Daniel Lafond and daughter Marie-fden Jean walk together following a a tree planting ceremony at Rideau Hall in Ottawa September 30, 2010: Image Gallery

Last edited:
It's now official!!

I wish His Excellency, The Right Honourable David Johnson, Governor General of Canada all the luck in the world in the coming years as he represents all of us on the World Stage.

Historically, it's been the GG's job to represent the Queen in this country. Adrienne Clarkson is the first Governor General that I can remember making foreign appearances representing Canada, and that was controversial at the time. I think that representing Canada abroad is more the job of the Prime Minister.

I wish His Excellency, The Right Honourable David Johnson, Governor General of Canada all the luck in the world in the coming years as he represents all of us on the World Stage.

Historically, it's been the GG's job to represent the Queen in this country. Adrienne Clarkson is the first Governor General that I can remember making foreign appearances representing Canada, and that was controversial at the time. I think that representing Canada abroad is more the job of the Prime Minister.

Here in Australia the GG is the official representative of us overseas and has been for many years now. The PM will represent on occasion but if the Head of State isn't to do it who is - a foreigner who represents another 15 or so countries. At least now we are always represented by someone who puts this country first.

I find it interesting that Canadians are so interested in their GG. I don't even know if I could name ours. I know the State Governor but that is because she came to our school last year and also presented my brother with his OAM a couple of years ago.

Our GGs make the news perhaps more than yours do. They seem to be highly visible, for some reason for another. Michelle Jean of course had the advantage of being beautiful, photogenic, and well-dressed.;)

The first GG I remember vividly is Ray Hnatyshyn. I was in my early 20s then.

File:GG-Ray Hnatyshyn.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it interesting that Canadians are so interested in their GG. I don't even know if I could name ours. I know the State Governor but that is because she came to our school last year and also presented my brother with his OAM a couple of years ago.

The PM isn't our Head of State. The GG is, and as such, does meet w/World Leaders when they pay an Official Visit to Canada. That's also being on the World Stage. Yes, the travelling the GG does is still rather a new thing, but shouldn't the role evolve as time goes on?

The biggest shock of the day for me was when I learned he's from my hometown and home area of Canada/Northeastern Ontario. Don't know why I'm surprised MCTV Sudbury never said anything this week in the lead up to today, but I was. Sad too. It's rather obvious to anyone in Northeastern Ontario that our TV News has gone downhill over the last ten years, but to screw this up? That's beyond sad. There wasn't even much mention of it during tonight's Supper Hour Broadcast. As I said, don't know why I'm shocked or surprised, but... :sad:

I loved all of the personal touches during today's Ceremony, but especially between the GG and his wife. Such as when she straightened his jacket before he sat down on the Throne after taking the oath, but my favourite was after he called her his best friend and "...the wind that fills my sails..." or something like that and she got up and gave him a pat on the back. LOL!! :D

One thing that both my parents and I adored though and we all hope will now become a permament part of the Investiture of a Governor General from now on? The giving of the roses from a representative of all the Provinces and Territories and then on the way back to Rideau Hall, the new GG and his wife stopping at the National War Memorial and placing the bouquet made up from those same roses on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. They also observed a Moment of Silence and a Piper was there as well to pipe a Lament.

Speaking of that...Does anyone know what Lament the Piper played? It wasn't The Lament for the Canadian Fallen, but my Dad couldn't place it. Thanks in advance if this is answered. :)

The best part of the entire day of the coverage though I missed, because I just couldn't wait to go to the Bathroom any longer, was the Grandkids getting to ride w/Grandpa Book and Grandma in the Landau!! I come out and see the Aide de Camp busy helping the little ones out of the Landau. Grrrr!!! They are all too adorable and loved the sight of Grandpa leaning down to help the one wee one who obviously is still a bit new to this whole walking thing to lend her a helping hand.

They call him that because he reads them a book all the time when he's w/them. Awwww!!! :flowers: BTW, his Coat of Arms was also shown/released earlier today and at the top of the shield there's five books. One is the base, w/the four others standing upright w/a candle in the middle between the four standing upright books. Each book represents his Daughters and the Candle represents the Grandchildren.

What a lovely touch for his Coat of Arms I think.

It really was a great day for someone who adores History, Pomp and the whole Ceremonial feel of it all. Really a wonderful day!! :flowers:

The Governor General isn't our Head of State. HM the Queen is, and the Governor General represents the Crown when the Queen isn't in Canada.

The PM isn't our Head of State. The GG is, and as such, does meet w/World Leaders when they pay an Official Visit to Canada.

On another matter, I'm uncomfortable with this advisor discussing what amounts to confidential matters between the GG and the Prime Minister. I'm not posting this to get into a political discussion BTW.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/101002/topstories/politics_harper_jean_prorogation

Last edited:
Laureen Harper persuaded Governor-General’s wife into role - The Globe and Mail

Stephen Harper did the asking but it was Laureen Harper who closed the deal.

. . .“She did some fast-talking with me,” Mrs. Johnston admitted Friday as she and her husband, Canada’s 28th Governor-General, sat down for an interview with The Globe and Mail. “She’s so much fun. She is just a breath of fresh air.”
Her reluctance, though brief, was born from a desire to really settle down on their horse farm in southwestern Ontario after a peripatetic life as the wife of a successful academic.

Interview with Canada Am: Video and article

I really like the way Adrienne and Jean have transformed the role of GG and shaped it for the new millennium and look forward to seeing how the new GG continues with it. He definitely is an excellent choice, though I shall miss MJ.

I hope the mods can move this into the Diamond Jubilee thread, but the Governor General and Prime Minister are expected to announce Canada's Diamond Jubilee celebrations this afternoon at 2:30 EST.

Hopefully their announcement will confirm Prince (and Princess) William's visit this summer, and perhaps another official visit by HM and HRH in 2012!

This is from earlier this month

PM unveils Diamond Jubilee Medal design to honour Canadian contributions
3 February 2011
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today participated in the unveiling of the Diamond Jubilee Medal design and the Diamond Jubilee emblem, to mark the 60th anniversary in 2012 of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II’s accession to the throne. PM unveils Diamond Jubilee Medal design to honour Canadian contributions - Prime Minister of Canada

Photos from the event: The Governor General of Canada > Photos > Creation of the Diamond Jubilee Medal

From the GG's site (click on "Emblem" and "Medal" for hi-res images at the bottom of the page): The Governor General of Canada > Diamond Jubilee Medal

Last edited:
Monarchy lovers in Montreal?

Hello,
I am a journalist working for Agence France Presse (French Press Agency) and I am working on a story about the Monarchy and Quebec. I am currently looking for people living in Montreal and who love the royal family.
I would like to talk with them about the wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton and their visit to Canada (the first official trip of the couple).
Easy to find anti royal family in Montreal, not easy to find real fans of the Monarchy...
Thank you for your help,
Best Regards,

Fabrice Hoss
fabricehoss@gmail.com

Last edited:
Canadian Mint unveils new Royal Family coins, minus Kate - The Globe and Mail

The William and Harry coins each come with a $109.95 price tag and will be available beginning March 15. The Charles coin won’t be available until Sept.

. . . the Mint is going to be cashing in with those coins later in the year. It has plans to release a set of coins in May celebrating Queen Elizabeth II’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012. As well, it will soon unveil designs commemorating Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding.

The coins from the "Continuity of the Crown" series can be see here: Welcome - Royal Canadian Mint

Canada's Governor General David Johnston with a wedding celebration coin featuring Britain's Prince William and Catherine Middleton at the Royal Canadian Mint in Ottawa April 6, 2011.
The Governor General of Canada > Photos > Unveiling of Royal Wedding Coins

The Royal Canadian Mint's website has details of both the coins:

Coloured Royal Wedding Coin - H.R.H. Prince William of Wales & Miss Catherine Middleton (2011)

Silver Royal Wedding Coin - H.R.H. Prince William of Wales & Miss Catherine Middleton (2011)

Canada Post unveils stamps for royal wedding

There are domestic and international versions of the stamps and they'll be available to Canadians on April 29, the same day the royal couple exchange their vows at Westminster Abbey in the heart of London.

"We never issued a royal wedding stamp on the day of the event itself. We're thrilled that our team, our suppliers and partners were able to pull this off in mere weeks," Anick Losier, a Canada Post spokeswoman said.

Jean Chrétien offers Queen an election update - The Globe and Mail

Eleven Canadian prime ministers have served since the Queen took the throne, but it seems Jean Chrétien remains the royal favourite.

Seated at her side on Tuesday for lunch at Windsor Castle, Mr. Chrétien briefed the Queen on Canada’s latest election, while she took the opportunity to practice her French.

Thank you for the news!So,this is the new governor.How many years does a governor-general could stay?Is this process based on elections?

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Meet+behind+royal+tour/4995669/story.html

Kevin MacLeod remembers the first time he met the Queen. Or rather, he doesn’t.

MacLeod was a junior program officer at the Department of the Secretary of State during Queen Elizabeth II’s visit to Canada in 1987. He worked on the tour and even accompanied her back to Britain to finalize arrangements for a new Canadian heraldic authority.

Back
Top Bottom