The Duke of Westminster and Olivia Henson - 7 June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the fact that Olivia's wedding bouquet did not consist of all white flowers.
It is delightful when colorful flowers can be included.

:rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose::rose:

I actually like the dress. It’s different from the Grace Kelly replicas we see at almost every royal/noble wedding. It’s cute. Also didn’t know that the Grosvenors own two of the last remaining Fabergé tiaras.
I did too, and I loved the veil. The only thing I didn't care for where the shoes. They looked too heavy for the dress.

The Duke and his new Duchess have released new official pictures from their wedding. They also made a statement:

“We are deeply grateful to everyone who supported us yesterday and want to extend a special thank you to those in Chester who helped make our day so memorable.

"We have been incredibly touched by everyone's amazing support and warm wishes."

What an elegant, swan-like neck she has! I wonder if there are fabulous pearl chokers amongst the family jewel collection?

All was high British Aristocracy !
It would be hard to find a ' higher aristocracy' wedding indeed. Hugh is one of less than 25 non-royal dukes (although the lowest ranked among them - until the current dukedoms of Gloucester and Kent will become non-royal) - and I assume most of them got married while still a heir to the title and not yet a peer themselves.

Does anyone know who the previous non-royal duke getting married was (and when)?

It would be hard to find a ' higher aristocracy' wedding indeed. Hugh is one of less than 25 non-royal dukes (although the lowest ranked among them - until the current dukedoms of Gloucester and Kent will become non-royal) - and I assume most of them got married while still a heir to the title and not yet a peer themselves.

Does anyone know who the previous non-royal duke getting married was (and when)?
I think it was the Duke of Roxburghe (a first cousin of Hugh) who married last year.

I think it was the Duke of Roxburghe (a first cousin of Hugh) who married last year.
Thanks! According to wikipedia his second marriage took place in September 2021. At his first marriage in 2011, he was still the heir.

Do you also know what the latest first marriage of a non-royal duke was?

He isn’t the lowest ranked. The Fife Dukedom was recreated.

The dress looked a bit cheap IMO, which it surely was not. The quality, fabric and esp. the lace doeesn't seem of the same level we are used to see at these kind of weddings. A pity the bride did not wear the cyclamen tiara, which is one of the more special tiaras out there.
I understand that this is the Grosvenor family's Myrtle tiara and it's traditionally worn by the brides in the family on their wedding day.

He isn’t the lowest ranked. The Fife Dukedom was recreated.
Thanks, you are of course right. The Westminster title was the last ducal title that was created for someone who wasn't part of the royal family - but the Fife Dukedom was indeed created later and is also non-royal dukedom (even from the start as the duke wasn't a royal highness - even though his wife was).

Not a fan of her dress too flimsy and clashing materials. Shoes were the worst part. I have a deep dislike of those "belts" put on a bride that attached a second layer of the skirt or in Olivia's case the train. I love this type of material but it lacked structure. The look is growing on me but still at the bottom of any list. I liked her hair, veil, and the fabric for the dress just not the style. And what can anyone else say about the shoes.

Last edited:
I know this is a forum where we are all able to give our honest opinions about what we see and feel on any topic, but I’m slightly surprised by the amount of negative comments across the pages regarding the bride’s appearance. I guess I feel this way partly because she’s not a royal who is regularly subject to such scrutiny, and also because it’s generally regarded to be the most special day in her life. I hope she doesn’t read this thread! For my two penny worth, I thought she looked very elegant and the dress was suited to her svelte figure ( I always prefer less trimmings). From some photo angles, I think the up do seemed a little severe, but in others she looked regal with an attractive profile . I genuinely don’t get comments about there being a cheap looking fabric to her dress. And the tiara is a rare beauty. What bride wouldn’t want to wear a Faberge tiara on their wedding day?

Oh, I don’t think anyone is critiquing her to be mean. Speaking for myself that’s certainly not the case. We don’t know anything about her really, so what else would our comment be on if not for our impressions of her big day? Besides I think more here loved her look than not.

I know this is a forum where we are all able to give our honest opinions about what we see and feel on any topic, but I’m slightly surprised by the amount of negative comments across the pages regarding the bride’s appearance. I guess I feel this way partly because she’s not a royal who is regularly subject to such scrutiny, and also because it’s generally regarded to be the most special day in her life. I hope she doesn’t read this thread! For my two penny worth, I thought she looked very elegant and the dress was suited to her svelte figure ( I always prefer less trimmings). From some photo angles, I think the up do seemed a little severe, but in others she looked regal with an attractive profile . I genuinely don’t get comments about there being a cheap looking fabric to her dress. And the tiara is a rare beauty. What bride wouldn’t want to wear a Faberge tiara on their wedding day?

Did you think everyone would love it? Everyone has different tastes. The fact it's her wedding day and not, say, a state visit with foreign royalty, doesn't mean people will fall over themselves fawning over her dress, the veil, the tiara, etc. No one is cruel or calling her demeaning names, they're just stating their honest opinions about what she wore. Just like we do all the time for every other man and woman talked about here, and yes, that includes other weddings too. If people were being nasty and derogatory, I could understand you taking exception to the comments...but that's not happening.

For me, the shoes were the biggest flop of the day. I get the "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue," but there had to be a better way to incorporate something blue in her look than shoes I would have worn in the late 1990s to a high school dance. Maybe if the heels were thinner, I guess.

Did you think everyone would love it? Everyone has different tastes. The fact it's her wedding day and not, say, a state visit with foreign royalty, doesn't mean people will fall over themselves fawning over her dress, the veil, the tiara, etc. No one is cruel or calling her demeaning names, they're just stating their honest opinions about what she wore. Just like we do all the time for every other man and woman talked about here, and yes, that includes other weddings too. If people were being nasty and derogatory, I could understand you taking exception to the comments...but that's not happening.

For me, the shoes were the biggest flop of the day. I get the "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue," but there had to be a better way to incorporate something blue in her look than shoes I would have worn in the late 1990s to a high school dance. Maybe if the heels were thinner, I guess.
A lot of trends from the 1990s are in right now. I liked them for that reason- the look is mostly timeless, the shoes are a bit of personality and fun that will keep the photos from being too generic

A lot of trends from the 1990s are in right now. I liked them for that reason- the look is mostly timeless, the shoes are a bit of personality and fun that will keep the photos from being too generic
Yep. Good point about the shoes. At the end of the day, if the bride was happy with how she looked that’s the most important thing.

Reactions: llj
We have a right to an opinion to discuss anything in the media. This political correct cowtowing to anyone regarding a wedding dress needs to stop. We are not children, some things are not everyone's cup of tea. If you take pictures and release them to the world be prepared for the world to respond. Parts of the wedding were public and I believe pictures were published. Silencing what you don't want to hear by shaming, or trying to make others feel guilty needs to stop. If you want to restrain your opinion feel free but please stop trying to guilt us into restraining ours.

I did see some thinner heels that were blue that I thought she would have looked better in. Wish I had a picture.

Back
Top Bottom