The Duke of Westminster and Olivia Henson - 7 June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Protesters shouted “Just Stop Oil” as the newlywed Duke and Duchess of Westminster left Chester Cathedral, setting off orange fire extinguishers into the gathered crowds as the Prince of Wales looked on.

The small commotion was witnessed by Prince William, who was standing outside of the church among other guests to see off Hugh Grosvenor and his new wife Olivia.

Police were quick to lead the Just Stop Oil group away as they were booed by the crowd.

The disruption came after the newlyweds shared a brief kiss upon leaving the cathedral, having been greeted by hundreds of well-wishers giving them three cheers.

Cheshire Police have since confirmed that two women were arrested at the scene in connection with the incident.

The dress looked a bit cheap IMO, which it surely was not. The quality, fabric and esp. the lace doeesn't seem of the same level we are used to see at these kind of weddings. A pity the bride did not wear the cyclamen tiara, which is one of the more special tiaras out there.
Perhaps "cheap" isn't the appropriate word. Although I do like to gown for it's elegant simplicity, I think everyone was expecting something a bit more "grand" and substantive in both design and material considering the venue and status of the groom.

Having said that ... it's a nice wedding dress.

The bride's gown was beautiful and elegant in it's simplicity. Not overly done.

I really liked it. It was simple and elegant without being boring and plain.

Since it was a fairly high necked gown. I really liked the cut out in the back. Her tiara was lovely.

I really didn’t like the blue shoes though. It may be in style, but I would have preferred white.

Protesters shouted “Just Stop Oil” as the newlywed Duke and Duchess of Westminster left Chester Cathedral, setting off orange fire extinguishers into the gathered crowds as the Prince of Wales looked on.
How dreadful ,these so called protesters don't seem to have heard of a peaceful demonstration and are intent on causing mayhem!

Meh..Disappointed.

The hairdo was a bit matronly and severe (see pics 3 and 4). It did not flatter her facial features at all.
The tiara was underwhelming sorry..I was never a fan of it as it looks cheaply made..Sorry Faberge.
Did the bride not have a family tiara she could've worn?
The dress does look cheaply made. The esthetic was all over the place. From the front it looks like a satin night gown but the cut out in the back is out of place and in my opinion not appropriate for a church wedding...especially one with such a long and rich history.
The chunky blue suede shoes also cheapens the look immensely.

The only thing I thought was beautiful was the veil. Breathtaking!

Olivia is marrying The Duke of Westminister- a peer of the realm, one the largest landowner in Britain, and certainly one of the wealthiest men in the country. Her bridal appearance unfortunately did not reflect this momentous occasion.

I think white shoes look better, but each to their own. The orange plumes were from a couple of Just Stop Oil idiots. I'm so sick of these people! Trying to spoil sporting events is bad enough, but trying to disrupt wedding proceedings is even worse!

…The orange plumes were from a couple of Just Stop Oil idiots. I'm so sick of these people! Trying to spoil sporting events is bad enough, but trying to disrupt wedding proceedings is even worse!
I suspect these protesters went undetected because they were “old dears” who appeared harmless. Women of a certain age do become invisible and they allegedly concealed the canisters in a wheeled trolley.

Yes, he’s an usher. I’m curious if George or even Charlotte will be in the wedding?
What does an usher do?
Lovely couple, I like the dress.

What does an usher do?
Good question, and I have no idea other than he’s part of the wedding party on the groom side.

Meh..Disappointed.

The hairdo was a bit matronly and severe (see pics 3 and 4). It did not flatter her facial features at all.
The tiara was underwhelming sorry..I was never a fan of it as it looks cheaply made..Sorry Faberge.
Did the bride not have a family tiara she could've worn?
The dress does look cheaply made. The esthetic was all over the place. From the front it looks like a satin night gown but the cut out in the back is out of place and in my opinion not appropriate for a church wedding...especially one with such a long and rich history.
The chunky blue suede shoes also cheapens the look immensely.

The only thing I thought was beautiful was the veil. Breathtaking!

Olivia is marrying The Duke of Westminister- a peer of the realm, one the largest landowner in Britain, and certainly one of the wealthiest men in the country. Her bridal appearance unfortunately did not reflect this momentous occasion.
No the bride does not come from a family that owned tiaras. The Grosvenors have other tiaras though

What does an usher do?

Shows people to their seats. Just like an usher at a movie theater or sports stadium would.

Reactions: SLV
I suspect these protesters went undetected because they were “old dears” who appeared harmless. Women of a certain age do become invisible and they allegedly concealed the canisters in a wheeled trolley.
Old dears from Just Stop Oil are becoming quite fearsome! Two of them tried to attack a copy of the Magna Carta a few weeks ago.

Ushers show people to their seats, but really it's just a way of including close male friends/relatives.

Overall they look okay and very happy. The groom looks dash but I don’t like the black waistcoat at a wedding, and for sure not on the bridegroom. He’s not in mourning.
The bride looks okay, but…to me the hairdo ages her a ton, and the dress looks beautiful but a bit too simple for a Duchess. But overall she’s stunning and seems happy. The shoes are tacky but I understand something blue was needed.
Sadly, the tiara is always a bit weird the void central part. I would rearrange the two centrale leaves to fill the void. Otherwise I’d add a giant diamond drop to add some carat value.

When it comes to the appearance of the church, okay the floral arch, but the yellow carpet with the exposed wooden tiles looks very cheap and bothers me in all pictures. Terrible.

I know what you
mean by cheap. The dress had a flimsy nightgown quality which could have been remedied by more substantial petticoats.Her father is very attractive BTW

Sadly, the tiara is always a bit weird the void central part. I would rearrange the two centrale leaves to fill the void. Otherwise I’d add a giant diamond drop to add some carat value.
Yes, I agree about the central void. The earrings are lovely but the pearls don’t tie in well with the tiara. Remember when DOC/POW wore earrings designed to coordinate with the Cartier Halo tiara?

I know what you mean by cheap. The dress had a flimsy nightgown quality which could have been remedied by more substantial petticoats.
That's how I feel about the dress as well - I don't like it at all. It's just too flimsy and thin. I think it would have looked much better in a thicker material.

I also agree about the hairstyle aging her - it's rather severe.

The new Duchess of Westminster looked very beautiful and elegant. I thought she was bridal perfection until I looked down and saw the teal blue platform heels.

And all I could think of was that old Elvis Presley hit " Blue Suede Shoes"....😆

I found the whole wedding to be underwhelming! The dress is too flimsy and the hair style too severe. Not a fan of the dark shoes on the flower girls either!

On the plus side the couple look radiantly happy and that is the most important thing of all!

I liked the dress, but not the shoes, and I agree her hairstyle was too severe.

However, all of the Grovenor women are quite attractive.

I found the whole wedding to be underwhelming! The dress is too flimsy and the hair style too severe. Not a fan of the dark shoes on the flower girls either!

On the plus side the couple look radiantly happy and that is the most important thing of all!
I, too found the dress underwhelming , I did not like either the back detail or the waist detail . The shoes were a big miss for me , they seem totally out of place . However I thought the tiara was lovely , and considering it was the first time the bride has worn a tiara , I thought it a good choice . The main thing was , that as you said , they looked radiantly happy . I wish them much happiness .

I, too found the dress underwhelming , I did not like either the back detail or the waist detail . The shoes were a big miss for me , they seem totally out of place . However I thought the tiara was lovely , and considering it was the first time the bride has worn a tiara , I thought it a good choice . The main thing was , that as you said , they looked radiantly happy . I wish them much happiness .
The Shoes were too heavy looking and wintry for the dress. A strappy sandal in that color would have looked fine in my opinion. Some brides like to be quirky.

I think the dress would have looked okay on a less windy day - it is June and the dress seems like it was made for a scorching hot summer's day (don't get that many of them in the UK let's be honest). I actually quite like it but get what people mean, it was very delicate but in the wind blowing about it didn't look substantial enough.
The shoes were a bit of an odd choice, for such a light delicate dress a much paler shade of blue would have been better IMO (or just gone white really). I get them being quite chunky shoes though, Chester is full of cobblestones and the Cathedral floor (from what I remember) is flagstones so a thinner heel would prove problematic (unless they laid a carpet down which is quite possible)
As someone local to Chester I am pleased they chose to marry this way, it really did wonders for the city on the day - lots of media about, lots of tourists. The Duke paid for plants to decorate the streets and paid three local ice cream shops / stall to provide free ice cream to anyone in the city all day. I went into the city after and the flowers around the main and side doors were still up with loads of people taking selfies outside them etc. The wedding flowers from inside the cathedral will be made into bouquets and sent to local charities, some plants used inside will also be replanted for charities.

Last edited:
I think the dress would have looked okay on a less windy day - it is June and the dress seems like it was made for a scorching hot summer's day (don't get that many of them in the UK let's be honest). I actually quite like it but get what people mean, it was very delicate but in the wind blowing about it didn't look substantial enough.
The shoes were a bit of an odd choice, for such a light delicate dress a much paler shade of blue would have been better IMO (or just gone white really). I get them being quite chunky shoes though, Chester is full of cobblestones and the Cathedral floor (from what I remember) is flagstones so a thinner heel would prove problematic (unless they laid a carpet down which is quite possible)
As someone local to Chester I am pleased they chose to marry this way, it really did wonders for the city on the day - lots of media about, lots of tourists. The Duke paid for plants to decorate the streets and paid three local ice cream shops / stall to provide free ice cream to anyone in the city all day. I went into the city after and the flowers around the main and side doors were still up with loads of people taking selfies outside them etc. The wedding flowers from inside the cathedral will be made into bouquets and sent to local charities, some plants used inside will also be replanted for charities.
How wonderful tommy100.
I’ve been to Chester, and as an outsider was floored by its unique beauty with all those amazing buildings.
I would have done the selfies thing with the floral arrangements too.

They look very happy, which is lovely. The Duke of Westminster was only 25 when his father died suddenly. Being one of the richest people in the country might sound fun, but it's an awful lot to take on at such a young age, and then he was tagged as "Britain's most eligible bachelor" as soon as Prince Harry was off the market. I wish them every happiness.

Back
Top Bottom