The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

But I’ll ask a question I asked before: who would have been more deserving of the ESPY? Since this is specifically the Sussex forum, which organizer or participant deserved the award more, and how could Prince Harry magnify their voice better?
It is an interesting question, i had a look at past recipients, and in 2023 it was The Buffalo Bills training staff with this explantion

"The Buffalo Bills training staff were honored to receive the Pat Tillman Award for Service during the The 2023 ESPYS. The award honors the life-saving measures performed by the training staff on Jan. 2, 2023 when Bills safety Damar Hamlin went into cardiac arrest on field during Monday Night Football."

which ofcourse is a great action they did, all kudos to them, and i don't mean to sound insensitive, but i can remember a few similar situations in other sports like soccer, cycling etc...so there would be loads to choose from...

I am not a fan but Prince Harry's commitment to improving the lives of veterans with disabilities should not be questioned.. He had the palace's help and support in starting the games but that does not eliminate his accomplishment. I can understand why the criticism is frustrating to his supporters.

I think the issue for Pat Tillman's mother is that giving the award to Prince Harry (or any other high profile individual) takes some of the spotlight from the veterans. I agree with this. It's sometimes very frustrating to see celebrities getting recognition when many ordinary people's contributions are overlooked.

What I personally wonder is why Harry has done nothing for veterans outside of Invictus since leaving the BRF and relocating to SoCal.

It's not like LA is short on veterans' groups and things for the needs of ex-service members who wouldn't love to have him be involved, or at least come by periodically. But he hasn't.

What I personally wonder is why Harry has done nothing for veterans outside of Invictus since leaving the BRF and relocating to SoCal.

It's not like LA is short on veterans' groups and things for the needs of ex-service members who wouldn't love to have him be involved, or at least come by periodically. But he hasn't.
I doubt he's interested, TBH.

He's too busy suing people, and getting awards he doesn't deserve thanks to the hard work of other people. I don't need to go into all the other stuff he's been up to since he quit the BRF. Caring about other people is pretty low down on his list of priorities IMO.

This award is all about him and yet another attempt to bolster his image; nothing more, nothing less. It won't work because too many people now see him for what he really is, and are no longer being fooled into thinking that he's a nice bloke.

If I were a veteran he would be the last person I would want help from anyway, because it's clear from his behaviour of the last few years that he isn't a very nice person, and only wants to use less fortunate people to make himself look good, and look like a nice person.

He isn't.

Caring for other people in his detractors’ eyes obviously doesn’t include the charity polo matches which he has played in as captain. Matches that have brought in millions of dollars for the charity Sentabale. Harry has participated in these as captain practically every year since he settled in the US, as well as in the UK. The last couple of matches brought in over three and a half million dollars each.

However, I suppose helping the citizens of one of the poorest countries in Africa with orphaned youth and citizenry who are struggling with dealing with HIV and AIDS isn’t noteworthy. Hospitals, schools, etc don’t matter. They have been built thanks to the donations from these charity polo matches but it’s all clearly about Harry according to those who can see no good in him.

Caring for other people in his detractors’ eyes obviously doesn’t include the charity polo matches which he has played in as captain. Matches that have brought in millions of dollars for the charity Sentabale. Harry has participated in these as captain practically every year since he settled in the US, as well as in the UK. The last couple of matches brought in over three and a half million dollars each.

However, I suppose helping the citizens of one of the poorest countries in Africa with orphaned youth and citizenry who are struggling with dealing with HIV and AIDS isn’t noteworthy. Hospitals, schools, etc don’t matter. They have been built thanks to the donations from these charity polo matches but it’s all clearly about Harry according to those who can see no good in him.
Nobody is saying he has not raised money for charity, Sentable is close to his heart.
We are discussing an award and peoples opinion on whether he was the right choice for this one in particular.
I am sorry but playing a few games of polo does not sell it to me.

While today's event is called a Polo Challenge, Sentebale's Polo Cup has taken place annually hosted since 2010, and has raised over $13 million to support the organizations's work in Lesotho and Botswana. Last year's Cup took place in Singapore, and the 2o21 and 2022 editions of the event were in Aspen, Colorado. There's no word yet on where the 2024 edition, which will happen later this year, will take place.

Does raising over 13 million dollars through these matches over the years matter? There have been assertions here that Harry has never done any good for others, it’s only about himself, so the discussion has clearly gone beyond this award and Invictus for some posters.

What particular veteran organizations in California do you believe deserve Prince Harry's attention?

And since patronages similar (or even not-so-similar) to anything to the BRF partaking by the Sussexes is a sore spot to many people, how will Prince Harry be able to support these organizations in a way that avoids that?

Invictus deserves the award - they should have given it to Invictus itself not to Harry personally.
That's a good point. However, as the founder of the Invictus Games, there's a good chance that Prince Harry would have accepted the award on behalf of the organization anyway. We would also have to take into account that the ESPYs, like most award shows, are very ratings-heavy, and the awards act as decent advertisement for the games themselves.

Would the Invictus Games being awarded an ESPY be as talked about if Dominic Reid or Richard Smith accepted it rather than Prince Harry? Who in the Invictus Game organization besides Prince Harry would have brought similar attention to it?

While today's event is called a Polo Challenge, Sentebale's Polo Cup has taken place annually hosted since 2010, and has raised over $13 million to support the organizations's work in Lesotho and Botswana. Last year's Cup took place in Singapore, and the 2o21 and 2022 editions of the event were in Aspen, Colorado. There's no word yet on where the 2024 edition, which will happen later this year, will take place.

Does raising over 13 million dollars through these matches over the years matter? There have been assertions here that Harry has never done any good for others, it’s only about himself, so the discussion has clearly gone beyond this award and Invictus for some posters.
This is all commendable. Of course it is.

But this is what someone like him should be doing anyway. And moreover he doesn't need be rewarded or praised for it.

Just being in the extraordinarily privileged position to be able to live this kind of life is reward enough.

That's a good point. However, as the founder of the Invictus Games, there's a good chance that Prince Harry would have accepted the award on behalf of the organization anyway. We would also have to take into account that the ESPYs, like most award shows, are very ratings-heavy, and the awards act as decent advertisement for the games themselves.

Would the Invictus Games being awarded an ESPY be as talked about if Dominic Reid or Richard Smith accepted it rather than Prince Harry? Who in the Invictus Game organization besides Prince Harry would have brought similar attention to it?
Yes but he would be accepting it on behalf of, that is the difference.

That's a good point. However, as the founder of the Invictus Games, there's a good chance that Prince Harry would have accepted the award on behalf of the organization anyway.
Well that would have been fine.

Although I still think an actual US Invictus partipant would make more sense. Or such a person & Harry together.

This is all commendable. Of course it is.

But this is what someone like him should be doing anyway. And moreover he doesn't need be rewarded or praised for it.

Just being in the extraordinarily privileged position to be able to live this kind of life is reward enough.
Precisely. And I’m sorry, but it’s not just Harry raising that money on his own, which is the point everyone is empathizing. Why is he taking sole credit for a group effort?

Yes but he would be accepting it on behalf of, that is the difference.

Well that would have been fine.

Although I still think an actual US Invictus partipant would make more sense. Or such a person & Harry together.

All right. But there would still be people who would treat Prince Harry as personable winning the award and critique it as a bought award in spite of it being an award for the Invictus Games specifically. What would be the best defense for those accusations?

And if the answer is not having Prince Harry accept the award at all, who in the Invictus Games organization besides Prince Harry has enough "star power" that can draw more attention to the organization as a whole by receiving the award instead?

All right. But there would still be people who would treat Prince Harry as personable winning the award and critique it as a bought award in spite of it being an award for the Invictus Games specifically. What would be the best defense for those accusations?

And if the answer is not having Prince Harry accept the award at all, who in the Invictus Games organization besides Prince Harry has enough "star power" that can draw more attention to the organization as a whole by receiving the award instead?
If it is announced as being awarded to Invictus, with

African Parks ???????????????

African Parks is a conservation organization and Sentebale is an organization that helps children and young adults who are affected by AIDS/HIV. Both benefit from the attention Prince Harry brings to them just by being involved with them. To be honest I would not be aware of a lot of charities if a famous person, celebrity, sports player, etc didn't speak about it.

African Parks is a conservation organization and Sentebale is an organization that helps children and young adults who are affected by AIDS/HIV. Both benefit from the attention Prince Harry brings to them just by being involved with them. To be honest I would not be aware of a lot of charities if a famous person, celebrity, sports player, etc didn't speak about it.
Sentebale is indeed a worthy charity , and it is true that having someone with a significant media presence can help . My point in mentioning African Parks was that the D of S has woefully failed to use that presence , and his position in the charity to assist those who are directly affected by the actions of those it employs . As far as I am aware he " has passed on a letter he received " .

[.....]

The more I think about the ESPYs thing, the more it doesn’t sit right with me as a decision. Prince Harry’s Invictus work is impressive, but it was also only possible because of funding from the royal foundation and support from palace infrastructure. It’s not something he achieved on his own; it’s something he did as part of his job supported by a whole team of employees. Meanwhile, there are participants who were injured in the line of duty who have worked so hard to be ambassadors to others who were injured and who champion adaptive sports.

It feels like there has to be an Invictus athlete they could have honored, both for their service and athleticism. Seems like asking Harry to present the award and recognize someone else rather than receiving it would have been much better promotion of what Invictus is about.
In this, as with anything else, he is found wanting. Yet it was Harry's personal drive and enthusiasm that created the Invictus Games and whatever has happened since then, for good or ill, you cannot take that away from him.

Quite simply, the Invictus Games would not exist without Harry's vision, passion and enthusiasm. I see it as his crowning glory and come hell or high water, you can never, ever, take that away from him! So yes, someone wants to give him an award, why all the whinging. In this, at least, he deserved some recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll always be very skeptical
[.....]

In this, as with anything else, he is found wanting. Yet it was Harry's personal drive and enthusiasm that created the Invictus Games and whatever has happened since then, for good or ill, you cannot take that away from him.

Quite simply, the Invictus Games would not exist without Harry's vision, passion and enthusiasm. I see it as his crowning glory and come hell or high water, you can never, ever, take that away from him! So yes, someone wants to give him an award, why all the whinging. In this, at least, he deserved some recognition.
are there any other claimants who are accused of erasing evidence?

On the subject of Invictus, “Harry's vision, passion and enthusiasm” would have been a big fat zero without the palace machine, as proven by his zero accomplishments since “fleeting for freedom”.

[.....]

Harry would be nothing without the palace -> neither would be any of the others. Everything Charles has accomplished is because of his position and money. But money and position are nothing without passion, vision and enthusiasm. Which is why Charles was able to do what he did. Please don't minimise someone's accomplishments because they are wealthy or because you don't like them.

He doesn't do enough for American veterans -> and if he does people say he should mind his own business because he's not American.

Everything he does is for attention - personal opinion. I see no evidence of this. If attention were the only thing he wanted there'd be better, and more fun, ways to get it.

Members of the BRF have accepted awards before and it's always been the people that work for them that have done most of the work. As I've said before, the only thing that's truly wrong with Harry is the fact that too many people here don't like him (and especially Meghan) and nothing they do will ever be good enough.
People will always search for something to criticize.

[.....]

Harry would be nothing without the palace -> neither would be any of the others. Everything Charles has accomplished is because of his position and money. But money and position are nothing without passion, vision and enthusiasm. Which is why Charles was able to do what he did. Please don't minimise someone's accomplishments because they are wealthy or because you don't like them.

He doesn't do enough for American veterans -> and if he does people say he should mind his own business because he's not American.

Everything he does is for attention - personal opinion. I see no evidence of this. If attention were the only thing he wanted there'd be better, and more fun, ways to get it.

Members of the BRF have accepted awards before and it's always been the people that work for them that have done most of the work. As I've said before, the only thing that's truly wrong with Harry is the fact that too many people here don't like him (and especially Meghan) and nothing they do will ever be good enough.
People will always search for something to criticize.
Of course ALL the accomplishments of the members of the BRF are the result of the work of the palace and government (lets not forget that Invictus involves the governments of the participant states). The other members of the BRF had the good taste to not take it as being a personal accomplishment and accept awards for that. (Unless I am not aware of any of them being awarded for PERSONAL accomplishments).

And of course the royals pour their passion, vision and enthusiasm into it. Accepting that they are not to take it as being a personal merit is key.

Let’s not rehash old discussions as it’s clearly discouraged by the rules of the thread.

People here have all the right to criticize Harry. If others don’t like it and feel the need to defend him, let them come with factual arguments.

It’s absolutely correct that it’s the same for all the others, but here’s the difference, those enterprises are operating efficiently and the others who represent them do not pose any conflict of interests. Their roles as defined or outlined are transparent.

[“But money and position are nothing without passion, vision and enthusiasm”.]

That is simply not true. It’s easy to have those feelings when everything is done for you. How is IG foundation doing of late? No, the only way he has any sway on anything is because of his former position. That’s his only currency as he found out.

Passion, vision and enthusiasm are drivers or motivators. You need the proper structure and a disciplined and principled approach to make something of nothing.

Last edited:
Anyway, I always thought that the most telling sign that he is no longer in the fold is his acceptance of personal awards. By doing so, he separates himself from the institution and highlights that the honor is his alone and on his personal achievements. Usually a person accepts awards as it allows for more donations to the organization or advocacies they champion, but in Harry's case, it might be the award-giving body wanting more publicity. Royals should be the ones bestowing awards, honoring the achievements of the public they serve. We may never know how many awards the working royals themselves have turned down over the years, I would bet that it is likely many, as accepting them would be inappropriate and beneath their roles.

Several posts have been edited or deleted.

If members want a more open discussion of the Sussexes, part of that is accepting that there will be opinions you may not agree with. Disagreement and varying opinions are fine, trying to shut down anyone you disagree with is not and won't be tolerated. If you disagree, offer evidence in a polite and respectful way. This applies to all threads, in all forums.

This is a reminder that discussion on this thread should stick closely to current news, and not be a rehash of old controversies.

Back
Top Bottom