The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: April - August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be an issue if he had a formal promotion deal with Dior as those designers have with Hollywood stars and other celebrities. It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case as Harry and Meghan are living the California life now.

And the designers of the clothing those other royals named, Zara and the York princesses etc. Are they all ‘living the California life’ too? And yet it’s not an issue for them?

And the designers of the clothing those other royals named, Zara and the York princesses etc. Are they all ‘living the California life’ too? And yet it’s not an issue for them?
Apples to oranges, Zara isn’t royal and represents herself, the York girls aren’t trying to profit off of being connected to royals.

I don't see an issue with Harry buying a new suit for his father's coronation or having the designer named. The BRF do it all the time for weddings, Ascot, Trooping the Colour etc.

Zara and the York princesses do not have a promotion deal with any designer, I assume. Certainly the Princess of Wales does not either. They pay for their clothes and the designers advertise who their customers are at their own discretion.

The type of deal I mentioned involves the celebrity getting clothes at a discounted price (or for free ?) to wear them or even being paid to wear them. I am not familiar with the entertainment world, but isn't that something that movie stars do? I could imagine Meghan doing it too and maybe Harry also.

For a working royal, that would be unacceptable if it were the case. But Harry is not a working royal anymore and, to be fair, I have no idea if he has any commercial association with Dior or not.

I don't have a problem with Harry having a deal with Dior, at the coronation he was seated among his York cousins, and not with the royals who represent the monarch.

Now if Harry pulls a Harry and starts whinging directly or via surrogates, and let's not forget the Sussex fan base, that he, his wife and children are not treated the same as his brother and his family, or even the Edinburghs, then that will be a problem, but the problem is not he not that he has made a promotional deal with a luxury brand, it is Harry not accepting that he cannot have it both ways.

As Harry isn't funded by the British public, it is simply unfathomable to me that people are outraged by him presumably spending his own money on a new suit :lol:

I found his demeanor a bit over the top. “Good spirits” isn’t the phrase I’d use. His facial expressions/demeanor when arriving at the Abbey and getting seated seemed exaggerated. Like he was trying too hard to act laid back, easy going. It certainly seemed like a contrast from everyone else’s demeanor.

Well, if that isn't the definition of "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" ?

To think, Harry and his family could have done the California life while maintaining basic decent ties with his family. Instead they might have seen his plane from the balcony.

No, they couldn't.
That lifestyle, on the scale they desired, is very expensive.

They couldn't maintain it without exploiting the royal connections.

I applaud the Duke of Sussex trying to look his best for the event. I would have expected a choice for the best tailors of Savile Row but when he prefers Dior, it is all his own right and his own choice.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 8: Apr. 2023 -

As Harry isn't funded by the British public, it is simply unfathomable to me that people are outraged by him presumably spending his own money on a new suit :lol:

Well, if that isn't the definition of "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't" ?

Personally- I don’t care if he bought a new suit. It’s a special occasion, after all. It’s whether he is profiting off wearing Dior that I side eye a bit. To be fair- I don’t know.

I do think it’s amusing that a UK Prince who just decided that his American kids had to use UK titles decided to attend his dad’s coronation in a brand new foreign label suit. That then gets promoted at said event. (How often does anyone care or pay attention to the labels that men wear? Pretty much never.)

I don’t have any desire to see Harry look miserable either. I thought his responses seemed exaggerated and over the top, particularly compared to everyone else. If he’d blended in- I wouldn’t have noticed. He seemed uncomfortable to me, like he was trying too hard.

Harry knows nothing about fashion and has admitted as much. Even if he knew one, is there a British designer who would have wanted to dress him, given his current notoriety?

Dior dresses Meghan and that probably seemed like the simplest option. Whether he got the suit free by being on their payroll is another wrinkle.

He last wore a morning suit nine months ago that we know about, at HLM’s funeral. It was a fine morning suit, I don’t see the need for a new one (and less elegant, IMO). Seeing how he showed the shirt when he went to the hearing last month, for me there’s no doubt that he has an ongoing deal with dior.

Personally don't mind that Harry has a new suit. There's always the possibility that it was accidentally damaged or he simply was tired of the one that he's worn for a very longtime.

Now I do agree with you that he probably has a deal with Dior now and they are supplying him with his suits.

I found his demeanor a bit over the top. “Good spirits” isn’t the phrase I’d use. His facial expressions/demeanor when arriving at the Abbey and getting seated seemed exaggerated. Like he was trying too hard to act laid back, easy going. It certainly seemed like a contrast from everyone else’s demeanor.

Still shaking my head about Dior (foreign company) proudly announcing they’d made Prince Harry’s suit for his UK dad’s coronation.

Many brands announced who they dressed for the coronation.

IMG_1642.jpg

Additionally, it’s even been done by working royals. Even the Queen.

IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 47
The deal with Dior is a brand deal in any other name - which means the clothes are free in exchange for advertising. It was very important that the pictures at the High Court, the LA Basket ball and yesterday showed that he is in facto modelling now for Dior.
This has been rumoured for a while. Meghan did it previous with a designer when they went on the door of NY and wore those expensive clothese to the children home to read the Bench - that was an attempt to get a brand deal. Now they have one in Dior - and I can bet my little fingers that it included both of them at the coronation in Dior outfits. So that been said I dont think the bosses at Dior would have been happy with just Harry going and showing their suit.

Conveniant running into proffesional poptographers at Heathrow, leaving on his medals so conveniant for the photos.

The sad thing is they have to sell the pound of flesh now that they have sold it. Not getting invited to the Met Gala and not going into the Coronation is an issue. THey have to start making glamourest events this year - what are they going to do Movie Premiers, local fundraising events. Are they going to add a red carpet event at Invictus this year? They need to show off the Dior threads.

Here are the full instagram and Twitter posts from Dior. From the Twitter post, I wonder if Dior is going to post more about the making of the suit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cr6rcRJIlaj/?hl=en
Westminster Abbey
In London earlier yesterday, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, made his way to his seat for the coronation of King Charles III in Westminster Abbey, elegantly clad in his bespoke Dior by @MrKimJones black wool and mohair suit.

@Dior
Tailoring fit for royalty. Dior is honored to have dressed Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, for the coronation of King Charles III in a custom design by Kim Jones. Seen arriving at Westminster Abbey, gain an insight into the savoir-faire of his three-piece suit next.

Last edited:
The deal with Dior is a brand deal in any other name - which means the clothes are free in exchange for advertising. It was very important that the pictures at the High Court, the LA Basket ball and yesterday showed that he is in facto modelling now for Dior.

This has been rumoured for a while. Meghan did it previous with a designer when they went on the door of NY and wore those expensive clothese to the children home to read the Bench - that was an attempt to get a brand deal. Now they have one in Dior - and I can bet my little fingers that it included both of them at the coronation in Dior outfits. So that been said I dont think the bosses at Dior would have been happy with just Harry going and showing their suit.

Conveniant running into proffesional poptographers at Heathrow, leaving on his medals so conveniant for the photos.

The sad thing is they have to sell the pound of flesh now that they have sold it. Not getting invited to the Met Gala and not going into the Coronation is an issue. THey have to start making glamourest events this year - what are they going to do Movie Premiers, local fundraising events. Are they going to add a red carpet event at Invictus this year? They need to show off the Dior threads.

Many royals make these deals for clothing for events like this. Princess Eugenie isnt so rich to afford a complete bespoke Fendi look + Garrard Albermarle Diamond High Jewelry. They get deals, discounts, loans, things the ordinary person couldn’t do.

Harry is doing the same just to a different degree. Nothing shameful about it.

He's obviously being paid by Dior. I don't see anything wrong with it. He's Hollywood now. He sold the privacy of his family for hundreds of million dollars. It doesn't seem weird to me that he has a deal with a fashion brand. Most actors do. He's one of them now:ROFLMAO:?

Thank your for this clarification , i suspected that kind of deal too. As always, nothing gtatuitous with the Sussexes even if a brand deal is fairly common those days with so called celebrities.

Many brands announced who they dressed for the coronation.

View attachment 303304

Additionally, it’s even been done by working royals. Even the Queen.

View attachment 303306
View attachment 303307

I know. I should have better articulated my point last night. It’s more along the lines that he may be profiting off wearing Dior. IDK- but I suspect so. It’s very celebrity. Which I suppose he is. A celeb with a title. On top of that- he’s profiting off his clothes at his dad’s coronation. I mean- that’s one reason to show up to the coronation. (I am not saying that is the only one. But this was about as a high profile event as he could have attended to show off the label.) It had to be a foreign label too.

Last edited:
I know. I should have better articulated my point last night. It’s more along the lines that he may be profiting off wearing Dior. IDK- but I suspect so. It’s very celebrity. Which I suppose he is. A celeb with a title. IOW- he’s profiting off his clothes at his dad’s coronation. It had to be a foreign label too.

Zara Tindall does this.

If he has a deal, it wouldn't had been to go to his dad's coronation and here is a load of cash to do it. If he has a deal, it's a deal where he wears Dior to public events. It would not had been a cash deal specific to the coronation. No ill intention.

I would rather Harry have promotional deals with luxury brands than have multi-media deals where he has to produce content because the content that gives the biggest bang for the buck is him sharing the experiences and grievances of being part of the British Royal Family.

Zara Tindall does this.

If he has a deal, it wouldn't had been to go to his dad's coronation and here is a load of cash to do it. If he has a deal, it's a deal where he wears Dior to public events. It would not had been a cash deal specific to the coronation. No ill intention.

I know. At least Zara has a real career though. And, in her case, no styles or titles.

I know this deal isn’t specific to the coronation. It’s ANY event. I’m just noting that this is the most high profile event he could have possibly attended. Dior will be thrilled. This makes the MET look minor. So- yes- I suspect a (again not only) reason he attended was due to this deal.

Many royals make these deals for clothing for events like this. Princess Eugenie isnt so rich to afford a complete bespoke Fendi look + Garrard Albermarle Diamond High Jewelry. They get deals, discounts, loans, things the ordinary person couldn’t do.

Harry is doing the same just to a different degree. Nothing shameful about it.

You may have a point about Eugenie. Yesterday I asked on another board if her jewels at the Coronation might have been a loan.

We know that some very senior foreign royals like Crown Princess Mary or Queen Mathilde when she was still Duchess of Brabant have worn loaned jewelry. It is debatable whether that counts as a conflict of interest or not, but, in any case, it is not something that I assume Meghan would have been allowed to do as a working Duchess of Sussex in the UK.

Last edited:
I would rather Harry have promotional deals with luxury brands than have multi-media deals where he has to produce content because the content that gives the biggest bang for the buck is him sharing the experiences and grievances of being part of the British Royal Family.

True - Diana herself was in negiations to do this when she passed. I suspect that most of the jewelery was loaned by the jeweleys yesterday.
It is very possible that Charles might have paid for all the clothes for this event. Personally as most of the dress were covered by robes - did they have to be designer to beginning with.
Also they could have made a statement by rewearing.

Good point. IA with you there.

Either way- he’s making money due to family ties. Selling luxury brands is at least not hurtful to anyone.

I know. At least Zara has a real career though. And, in her case, no styles or titles.

I know this deal isn’t specific to the coronation. It’s ANY event. I’m just noting that this is the most high profile event he could have possibly attended. Dior will be thrilled. This makes the MET look minor. So- yes- I suspect a (again not only) reason he attended was due to this deal.

I think people overestimate the reach of the coronation. It's BIG yes, but do you know how many people actually dont care about it? For many many many people, the MET got more attention than the coronation -- certainly Harry's suit at the coronation.

More people would know Harry is with Dior had he went to the MET and wore it as a guest of the design house as opposed to him wearing that suit at the coronation.

Last edited:
You may have a point about Eugenie. Yesterday I asked on another board if her jewels at the Coronation might have been a loan.

We know that some very senior foreign royals like Crown Princess Mary or Queen Mathilde when she was still Duchess of Brabant have worn loaned jewelry. It is debatable whether that counts as a conflict of interest or not, but, in any case, it is not something that I assume Meghan would have been allowed to do as a working Duchess of Sussex in the UK.

I cannot see why Meghan wouldn't have been able to negotiate a loan from a jeweller. I do not think you need to be royal to do that , working or non working. IMO the conflict arises when you are paid to wear the clothes or the jewellery then promote them but in Meghans case that would not be a problem as things stand at the moment.

We can assume Meghan would not had been allowed if she were a working royal but the truth is we dont know. We know what they tell us, not always what they do. And what they tell us is all about public perception.

Wasn't there just an article out about how they are holding on to so many jewels that should be in the national collection?

Im betting this is it for Harry and official Family-Royal Events in The UK. He will be back for Invictus Events or his legal battles and Trial appearances, but that's it. Maybe visiting there in a "private" capacity The Yorks, but thats it.

He's out. The Sussex's well planned out and executed "choice".

Could have left, as they did in 2020 AND still maintained *some* type of relationship with Charles and William, EVEN if very strained. Even after Oprah, but no.....the money to be made by the Netflix series and Spare Book was the goal and to elevate The Sussex's Brand as competitive Royals, US based.

That they have now upped the ante in by wanting their American children to be (ridiculously and hypocritically ) referred to as Prince and Princess.
Which, I as an American sadly think for the innocent kids is a lot of unnecessary baggage.

How in 10 years time this all shakes out will be interesting. I'm supposing it will still be The Sussex's attempting to compete with The Wales. Which is how the whole mess started. Couldn't reconcile a second place, EVER.

Last edited:
I think people overestimate the reach of the coronation. It's BIG yes, but do you know how many people actually dont care about it? For many many many people, the MET got more attention than the coronation -- certainly Harry's suit at the coronation.

More people would know Harry is with Dior had he went to the MET and wore it as a guest of the design house as opposed to him wearing that suit at the coronation.

I’d argue plenty of people don’t care about either event. Lol

We’ll have to disagree on which event is a bigger global event this year. The MET is every year. The coronation, obviously, is not.

I know what you are saying but in the UK the Coronation received more attention that the MET. To be honest I am not even sure what the MET is, other than a few lines in the newspaper about women wearing some IMO ugly clothing showing off their bare skin.

Why did he not go to the MET?

Lets be honest , countries differ even within countries there are differences.

I am quite sure events in the USA receive bigger coverage and cause more conversation than events in the UK and vice vera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom