The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love this Dior coat & I think Meghan looks lovely in it. My mother says in the early 1950s she had a maternity coat similar to that: bronze/brown silk, same collar & with huge buttons. She says she wore it after pregnancy too because the swing style was in fashion & not just for maternity wear.

She says she also had one in tartan wool with a large collar & another in burgundy gabardine. She can't remember what happened to them all but she thinks they were eventually cut down to make other things. Apparently they all had huge buttons.

Last edited:
I quite like the material and colour of this coat. I think it’s a shame that the only pics we have of her don’t show it off particularly well.

The Duchess of Sussex visiting New Zealand House in London today, March 19, to pay respect to the 50 people murdered at two mosques in new Zealand:

** Full view ** Upper part ** Side view **

The cost isn’t anything great, I appreciate the decoration on the shoulders. At the moment I’m really failing to see how any of Meghan’s maternity coats could be adjusted to wear post pregnancy, which is a real shame.

I don't think this is an especially flattering silhouette on Meghan, those sleeves are swamping her. I like the embroidery, though.

I don't think this is an especially flattering silhouette on Meghan, those sleeves are swamping her. I like the embroidery, though.

I agree - the sleeves are too much. I also like the embroidery & buttons. Do we know if it's a vintage piece yet?

It actually looks really nice from the side, but it's seriously unflattering when you look at it up front. Just too much volume and volume is fine, but the fabric is too heavy and it overpowers her.

Don't particularly care for the black coat she wore today, but I really love the shoes.

I agree - the sleeves are too much. I also like the embroidery & buttons. Do we know if it's a vintage piece yet?

According to Meghans Mirror, the coat is bespoke...it's by Gucci. The clutch is also Gucci and her shoes are Aquazzura.

Not a fan of the vintage Dior she wore to the baptism. The color wasn't flattering and the buttons looked as if they were about to fall off.

not fan of this black coat neither i like the details on the shoulders but the sleeves ruined it all for me
nice shoes though

According to Meghans Mirror, the coat is bespoke...it's by Gucci. The clutch is also Gucci and her shoes are Aquazzura.

Thanks for the info on the coat. In the text of the article it says 'vintage coat' so I wonder how they know that?

I love this look on Meghan. Love the clutch and the shoe as well. Since it's a somber event I don't mind the black at all.

LaRae

It is a sombre event indeed and of course black is part of the NZ national colours. I think Meghan looked appropriate and fine, didn't mind the sleeves on the coat. Loved the clutch.

A side note: Lord how does that woman squat and rise wearing those heels with that belly? There's video on Twitter of her squatting to lay flowers then rising. Her core must be a solid muscle!

LaRae

I love this coat. Very appropriate and classy look.

:previous: I think she looked really terrific. At any other time, I would have moaned about the hair obscuring what looks to be an interesting collar but I really appreciate that she rolled off the sofa, ditched the comfy clothes and came to NZ House with Harry to leave their condolences.

I think she wouldn't have been blamed for preferring the sofa and I'd bet my bottom dollar she hit the internet looking for a black coat because I have no double whatsoever that any coat in her closet would not be big enough to accommodate her rapidly increasing bump. In some places, it is said to be Vintage and in others bespoke Gucci but it could actually be both.

I am impressed by the sites that felt any in-depth fashion discussion would be inappropriate.

The collar looks gorgeous, pity we Don't get to see it entirely !

I usually am a fan of her coats but this one is a fail for me :sad:

The shoulder detail is lovely, and I actually love it from the front :flowers:

But from the side you see the horrible sleeves. They look like she shrunk a few sizes. Not a good look at all.

Nice shoes and purse. ?

Black fitting both for the event and for NZ.

Thanks for the info on the coat. In the text of the article it says 'vintage coat' so I wonder how they know that?
I wouldn't be surprised if the coat was vintage, because she likes eco friendly clothes and there is nothing more environmentally friendly than second hand clothes. She can even resell it back to Williams vintage shop.

The collar looks gorgeous, pity we Don't get to see it entirely !

It's a nonchalant fashion tease - breaking up the grandma look :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It was absolutely wrong event to show off one more new expensive black coat.

I have to agree.
In fact this would have a perfect event to wear a NZ designer, may even overnight express something (as i’m sure they received at least 24 house notice on the request to go) anything.

The coat is dreadful imo. The sleeves does not balance out the size of her belly (..)

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of love the sleeves on this. The collar, what I can see if it, is weird and frumpy; good call to wear her hair down over it.

This was an occasion that meant more to me that she actually was there rather than what she was wearing. That black coat, to me, looks like anywoman's coat worn to a somber occasion. She wasn't really there to be on display or on a fashion runway but there to put the focus on the tragedy that happened recently in NZ that was felt around the world.

Not giving the coat a hit or a miss on this event. To me, it didn't matter.

This was an occasion that meant more to me that she actually was there rather than what she was wearing. That black coat, to me, looks like anywoman's coat worn to a somber occasion. She wasn't really there to be on display or on a fashion runway but there to put the focus on the tragedy that happened recently in NZ that was felt around the world.

Not giving the coat a hit or a miss on this event. To me, it didn't matter.
Quite right. Would have been a good occasion to wear a high street label rather than anything that could be designer, foreign and probably cost thousands of pounds (pure speculation, as there are no confirmations as to where the coat is from), given or is unlikely to be worn much in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if the coat was vintage, because she likes eco friendly clothes and there is nothing more environmentally friendly than second hand clothes. She can even resell it back to Williams vintage shop.

It's a nonchalant fashion tease - breaking up the grandma look :D

regarding the bold: not sure where you got that notion (and I have never seen Meghan even claim that herself about herself), with the exception of a handful of labels who we can kind of claim to be eco friendly, every other label she has worn before the wedding, let alone after the wedding, have no eco friendliness tendencies whatsoever.

regarding the bold: not sure where you got that notion (and I have never seen Meghan even claim that herself about herself), with the exception of a handful of labels who we can kind of claim to be eco friendly, every other label she has worn before the wedding, let alone after the wedding, have no eco friendliness tendencies whatsoever.

She has worn a number of brands that are eco conscious

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/uk/fashion/style-files/g24060291/meghan-markle-sustainable-brands/

Not to mention her pieces chosen from a vintage store as well.

Certainly she takes recycling to mean more then simply wearing the same piece more then once like other royals famous for being reyclers. And she does that as well.

I have to agree.
In fact this would have a perfect event to wear a NZ designer, may even overnight express something (as i’m sure they received at least 24 house notice on the request to go) anything.

Yes because that would be the way to keep price down. Order a designer outfit one days notice and ship it across the world. That sounds inexpensive :whistling:

Not only the price, but also the sizing. Can you imagine a designer trying to fit her from across the world at this stage of her pregnancy? The outfit would be even more disproportioned. Its possible she could have ordered something, and then ended up having to wear something else anyways as it didn't fit her.

Last edited:
Yes because that would be the way to keep price down. Order a designer outfit one days notice and ship it across the world. That sounds inexpensive :whistling:

Not only the price, but also the sizing. Can you imagine a designer trying to fit her from across the world at this stage of her pregnancy? The outfit would be even more disproportioned. Its possible she could have ordered something, and then ended up having to wear something else anyways as it didn't fit her.

Very good points. That would have been much more expensive.

We know the royals always have black outfits ready for sudden, needed occasions. This may be one of those outfits that was purchased in case it was needed during her pregnancy-which it was.
I don't think Meghan actually has that many black coats anyway--and if it was fitted at all she'd have to wear it open at this point in her pregnancy, which means her dress underneath would be more important.

Back
Top Bottom