The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The christening was today according to the designer who provided an outfit for one of the godparents. The papers speak in past tense cause they post for the next day.

I don't like anything about this look with the exception of the handbag. The coat is a nice swing coat, but the buttons and the color ruin it for me. The color looks like a iridescent sheen, or maybe it's just how it's picking up on my screen. I also don't like the beret.

With all of that being said, I'm not going to fault Meghan right now. She probably just wants to be home with her feet up, so grabbed what she could get her hands on. I'm giving her no more that 4 weeks before baby arrives.

... but what caught my eye on the second look was her handbag. I don't know if she has carried it before but I would really like a better look. So far, I like what I can see of it.

The bag is Victoria Beckham Vanity Box Leather Tote
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bjjUDzzE...2W8R1JpuCyySFoCsSLxonwCLcBGAs/s1600/tote5.jpg
Meghan wore it once before.

The coat is vintage Dior Haute Couture silk brown coat, circa 1950

Thanks Princess Larisa!

I would have sworn the coat was a plum shade (my screen) but brown works. I think it would look a little better if she wasn't pregnant and the buttons were changed.

I like the bag but I think it is out of my price range.

So I guess that must be another £10k spent! How about reusing something from a week or two ago, Duchess?

Couple points of contention:
1. She's expanding. What fit last week probably won't fit this week (or she's accused of not wearing proper fitted clothing). It was already a bit tight fitting yesterday.

2. The coat is actually only roughly $3,500. Everything else was a repeat (we don't know about shoes, but she tends to have have the same 4 shoes in rotation)

3. I'll get to rest later. Preparing for work.

I don't like anything about this look with the exception of the handbag. The coat is a nice swing coat, but the buttons and the color ruin it for me. The color looks like a iridescent sheen, or maybe it's just how it's picking up on my screen. I also don't like the beret.

With all of that being said, I'm not going to fault Meghan right now. She probably just wants to be home with her feet up, so grabbed what she could get her hands on. I'm giving her no more that 4 weeks before baby arrives.
I agree JuliananaVictoria. At this point in time if she's found something that fits, that is a victory in and of itself!;)

Couple points of contention:
1. She's expanding. What fit last week probably won't fit this week (or she's accused of not wearing proper fitted clothing). It was already a bit tight fitting yesterday.

2. The coat is actually only roughly $3,500. Everything else was a repeat (we don't know about shoes, but she tends to have have the same 4 shoes in rotation)

3. I'll get to rest later. Preparing for work.
It's all down to personal choices, but most pregnant women I know seem to manage to have clothes last more than a week.

Also, when I last looked, $3,500 was an awful lot of money, especially if it is only going to be worn once.

Last edited:
It might be important to remember that Meghan's told us she has a short torso. That means less room for Baby Sussex, less room for food for mama, less breathing space, and frequent trips to the porcelain facilities.

It could very well be that Baby mistimes the Mommy and Me yoga sessions, keeping Meghan awake at night. And how often does Meghan get kicked right in the dinner? Acid reflux, anyone?

It looks to me like Baby had been rough on Momma recently and at the last minute Meghan screwed up her courage and pulled herself together to attend. Girlfriend has grit.

Frankly, I'd give her honors for showing up in a bin bag and duct tape.

P.S. I think berets suit Meghan.

Nothing better than vintage Dior unless it's vintage givenchy.however this is not a good look for The duchess the color would look better on a blonde and the pregnancy ruins double-breasted style. It is a private event maybe she'll be able to wear the evening coat later on. Started to feel sorry for her since her last appearance stay home and put your feet up

Really the money is beside the point..it's their money if they want to blow it on a ugly frock (regardless if it's 100 or 10,000) it's really nothing to anyone else. None of your taxes are being spent to cover their clothing.

LaRae

Really the money is beside the point..it's their money if they want to blow it on a ugly frock (regardless if it's 100 or 10,000) it's really nothing to anyone else. None of your taxes are being spent to cover their clothing.

LaRae

I echo that sentiment. I don't care how much something costs whether it be $10,000 or $1. I just look to see if I like it or not. :D

I echo that sentiment. I don't care how much something costs whether it be $10,000 or $1. I just look to see if I like it or not. :D

I third this and damn it, if I had that much money I would enjoy it too. However I can be really surprised to see just how much people can spend on clothes and still look tacky. And I mean hooker-tacky not ooh-I-see-an-upper-leg-tacky...

it's lovely she makes an outing at this stage of pregnancy and she kooks radiant but i am afraid i don't like anything in her look neither the coat or the hat

Thanks Osipi and Elenath ..glad I'm not the only one!!!

Elenath you got that right...you'd think when one does spend 10,000 on a frock it would escape being tacky or trashy..unfortunately even the expensive designers have failures!

I have loved some of the cheaper outfits worn by Meghan just as much as the $$$$ outfits. I like fashion ...speaking of, introduced the 9 year old granddaughter to The Devil Wears Prada the other day <G> and she liked it!!

She often wanders by when I am looking at Meghan (Kate etc) and comments on their clothing.

LaRae

If I had that much money, and as not royal, I would never re wear anything. ? Now, if I was royal, I would re wear because of the optics, even though it is not taxpayer money.

I would be wearing sweats and yoga pants 24/7 if I were Meghan. She may be doing that when not in public! lol

LaRae

I would be wearing sweats and yoga pants 24/7 if I were Meghan. She may be doing that when not in public! lol

LaRae

As would I and which I’m doing right now and I’m not even pregnant. I tend to wear my lazy day outfits in layers. One part is pink flannel bottoms with white hearts.. ?

I third this and damn it, if I had that much money I would enjoy it too. However I can be really surprised to see just how much people can spend on clothes and still look tacky. And I mean hooker-tacky not ooh-I-see-an-upper-leg-tacky...
I don´t care if you got the money to spend, but some of it is either just not worth the pricetag quality wise or lookwise. This coat falls in the latter category.

I don´t care if you got the money to spend, but some of it is either just not worth the pricetag quality wise or lookwise. This coat falls in the latter category.

If this is Dior than have a hard time believing the quality is bad, as for looks... well that’s personal. I tend to prefer Meghan’s clothes compared to Kate’s but that’s just me. To me, most of Kate’s clothes are just dull and all look alike.

Quality, I think, is not always easy to determine from photos alone. But then again, I’m not an expert.

A very drab outfit IMO though for someone who is about to give birth next month Meghan looks fantastic so I'll cut her some slack on this one.

I am still astounded that Dior had a vintage coat available, I didn't know they made maternity coats for extremely pregnant ladies. Somehow, with all the comments about coats not fitting in the arms, shoulders, across the back, etc. for contemporary clothes, Dior has this second-hand maternity coat that fits?

Wow, will wonders never cease? And yes, the buttons are astonishing and I can't imagine them ever looking nice, but hey, she's really, really, pregnant so whatever floats her boat.

I like what Meghan wears usually, but I'm afraid this outfit is a miss for me. I don't care for a sludge brown or burgundy combination. However, she's a trooper for going out at all and kudos to her. I just threw any old thing on in the last few weeks of my pregnancies, as you just feel like an elephant moving about.

I am still astounded that Dior had a vintage coat available, I didn't know they made maternity coats for extremely pregnant ladies. Somehow, with all the comments about coats not fitting in the arms, shoulders, across the back, etc. for contemporary clothes, Dior has this second-hand maternity coat that fits?

Wow, will wonders never cease? And yes, the buttons are astonishing and I can't imagine them ever looking nice, but hey, she's really, really, pregnant so whatever floats her boat.

Apparently it came from a vintage clothing resale shop, not direct from Dior. And I don't think it is a maternity coat, just a swing coat that was almost was big enough for a maternity coat.

Last edited:

Dior didn't have a vintage coat available. They didn't have it hidden in their back room and she bought it from them.

Meghan purchased the piece from 'William's Vintage'. Its a high end vintage store in London. She has worn a few pieces from the store.

Here is an article about the owner of the store

https://fashionista.com/2016/03/william-banks-blaney-william-vintage

She has worn coats from the store at least two other times

Black coat from Bristol visit
https://www.redcarpet-fashionawards...liam-vintage-oscar-de-la-renta-bristol-visit/

Baby shower

http://therebelheart.net/meghan-mar...oat-and-skinny-jeans-for-her-nyc-baby-shower/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom