The Duchess of Sussex's Maternity Fashion: October 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ugh for all those who wanted her to take fashion cues from Kate and feta British stylist you should be happy. This is so far from her normal style, a sad attempt at being more Royal or something.
:ermm: Not sure why you believe that Catherine would have influenced her choice for this outfit?

However I do agree that this was not a very flattering choice for Meghan's changing shape.

Ugh for all those who wanted her to take fashion cues from Kate and feta British stylist you should be happy. This is so far from her normal style, a sad attempt at being more Royal or something.

Catherine is blamed because Meghan wore a awful outfit.

Its not because the dress did not work for Meghan in the opinion of some, it s just Catherine influenced her or perhaps no British designer can dress Meghan like Givenchy or Prada or Ralpoh Lauren or Oscar de la Renta or......

I think that the outfit looks odd for the season , I mean everybody outside is wearing a coat so why not holding a small cape or a shawl ? I dont like the top it looks like a swimming suit

Blaming a British designer or Catherine is illogical.She wore that stunning blue dress in Fiji from the same designer.

What I dislike is the way the skirt drags over the ground.
It probably is filthy by the end of the evening!

But Meghan seems to favor over long skirts and pants.

Why does her questionable sartorial choice for last night have to be attributed to Kate or a British designer? Bad choices can be made irrespective of the designer. Remember the white and blue tent she wore to Harry 's cousins wedding? That was from Oscar de La Renta, if I am not mistaken.

Note I never said anything against s British designer. Ever.

What I said was she had been criticized left and right for her modernist appeal. That she doesn’t look enough like a British upper socialite level and too much Hollywood. This is what happens when she steps away from her usual design aesthetic and tries for the English rose look people like Kate go for. She looks like wearing grandmas bathing suit.

People need to read things properly. This was not an attack on British designers. She has a number of fantastic modern looks by British designers. It’s about the aesthetic she seems to be trying to fit in that.

All for her wearing British designers. She just doesn’t have to lose he style to do so.

So please stop accusing me of thinking only foreign designers are good enough

This is what happens when she steps away from her usual design aesthetic and tries for the English rose look people like Kate go for.
This is an "English Rose look?":ermm: What style or fashion falls under the category of "English Rose?" Would it be something that the late Diana Princess of Wales or the Countess of Wessex would also have selected? TBH I see the Duchess of Sussex wearing an evening outfit of her own choice. The lady has enough sense to choose what she likes, believes to be appropriate to the event and most likely comfortable at this stage in her pregnancy.

I don't particularly care for how it fits her, but I trust that Meghan can determine for herself what she wants to wear for an evening event. I don't how her choice yesterday has anything to do with her sister-in-law or any other female member of the BRF would have selected for a similar event.

Blaming a British designer or Catherine is illogical.She wore that stunning blue dress in Fiji from the same designer.
Yes it is illogical and yes that dress was stunning on her.:flowers:

She looked lovely. We don’t have to worry about her tripping over her hem or stumbling in her sandals. She’s an intelligent woman and can do her own worrying. As for her skirt being “filthy” at the end of the evening, it’s black and will be dry cleaned. What really gets filthy at the end of the day is the hem of a white wedding gown. Just take a good look at the next one you see.

Yes it is illogical and yes that dress was stunning on her.:flowers:

Agreed, and if you look at the Safiyaa website, the design aesthetic is far, far from "English rose," which is what I would assume is something more overtly feminine and flowy would be. Maybe some of Emilia Wickstead? Which, actually Meghan has worn very well.

In addition, I can't really recall anyone saying that Meghan needs to dress more like anyone else specifically, so I'm not sure where that came from. There's nothing at all wrong with her style. Except I get tired of the endless black.

I can't recall anyone ever saying that Meghan should dress more like Kate. Saying she should dress more royal seems a little strange to me. The term English Rose is usually attributed to someone's physical features. Aka very Caucasian looking. I don't see Meghan trying for any aesthetic. She has been firmly doing her own thing and sometimes that's a fail and sometimes it really works for

This is an acceptable outfit the top is unique and the bottom is boring; meets royal standards. And why do people in here actually like we don't know she is pregnant? Almost every other post has to include "remember she's pregnant".

She looked lovely. We don’t have to worry about her tripping over her hem or stumbling in her sandals. She’s an intelligent woman and can do her own worrying. As for her skirt being “filthy” at the end of the evening, it’s black and will be dry cleaned. What really gets filthy at the end of the day is the hem of a white wedding gown. Just take a good look at the next one you see.
I had not realised intelligent women don't trip!

It's early days and I am inclined to give her some time got her to develop her Duchess wardrobe. At this stage, she probably does not realise that a dress with a train is not appropriate for an event like this, but perfectly accept others, usually white tie events.

As to her use of black, again, I am inclined to give her the space to figure out what works where. She will get it eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colour!!!!! Rejoice! Rejoice! She's wearing COLOUR in both a dress and a coat! Beautiful burgundy/red! She looks fabulous and so Happy! And her first real maternity dress!

Last edited:

The Duchess of Sussex at the Hubb Community Kitchen today, November 21, wearing a coat and dress by Club Monaco:

** Full view with coat ** Full/Side view ** Upper part ** Without the coat and with an appron **

She looks blooming lovely. I absolutely adore that rich burgundy color on her, and I love her booties.

Club Monaco really is an international label with no ONE distinct association. The first store ever opened was in Toronto, but now is headquartered in NYC.

I love her outfit and especially these wonderful shoes !

A gorgeous, gorgeous color on Meghan, and after not being sure if I like the two different shades of plum together, I've decided that the tone on tone really works for this more casual engagement. I loathe the shooties, but then I've never met a shootie that I love, so that's par for the course. Not a huge fan of the prim little collar on the dress, but again, that's a personal preference. Nice to see her dressing for the weather!

The fact it's Club Monaco isn't a big deal to me in this case: as long as she continues to incorporate UK brands into her wardrobe, such as the Safiyaa from the other night, she's on the right track.

I like everything about today except the fit of the dress. IMO, she is struggling, as most pregnant women do, with how quickly the body changes and how what fit last week may not this week. It makes me understand why tent dresses were so popular for so long in maternity wear.

No purse?

I love Meghan's coat and her cute little boots! That coat is great for November in England. Nor the hugest fan of plum/burgundy myself, but it suits Meghan's colouring and it IS colour. And her hair is tied back, great for in a kitchen. She looks young and very excited and happy to be back in familiar territory.

Last edited:
I just looked at the coat again. I couldn’t see the design of the lapel best earlier since I skimmed all the photos and she didn’t button the coat, but I like the big collar and the lapel on it very much.

Love the coat, hate the shoes and dress. Dress looks a shapeless sack, appreciate the colour though!

I love this look and color on her. I need that coat in my life.

Meghan-Buy more clothing and accessories in plum/burgundy!!!?

Beautiful coat, love the color on her.

The dress is lovely. A bit shapeless but expected right now. My one complaint is the collar which I never like that style. And the velvet I don't like. Only thing saving it is they same color so doesn't stand out as much.

Club Monaco is an example of a brand that went international. It's originally Canadian, and a commonwealth brand. I will say it again, considering her husband is a commonwealth ambassador for the queen, I love she actually supports commonwealth labels not just on tour of that country. If the queen is on the money, it's not a foreign brand.

Beautiful coat, love the color on her.

The dress is lovely. A bit shapeless but expected right now. My one complaint is the collar which I never like that style. And the velvet I don't like. Only thing saving it is they same color so doesn't stand out as much.

Club Monaco is an example of a brand that went international. It's originally Canadian, and a commonwealth brand. I will say it again, considering her husband is a commonwealth ambassador for the queen, I love she actually supports commonwealth labels not just on tour of that country. If the queen is on the money, it's not a foreign brand.

Not to mention while she's from the US, she's lived in that said Commonwealth country for 7 years.

On the velvet note. I notice the return of the velvet that's been happening. I don't mind it as a collar or something small. But I'm praying hard to the fashion gods that Meghan doesn't show up in an entire dress in velvet....:eek: It's not a good look for ANYONE.

Back
Top Bottom