The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 3: September-December 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
UK - Camilla Duchess of Cornwall in Brooch Worn by Diana
Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall attends the film premiere of 'The History Boys' at the Odeon cinema in Leicester Square and wears a diamond brooch in the Prince of Wales feather emblem with emerald pendant.

from profimedia

thanks for the link. i found it annoying except for a couple of models all of the women were wives, daughters or girlfriends - ie: getting their power from men not in their own right. so really proud to see Zara made the cut, shes a superstar in her sport on her own 2 feet (or 4 hooves as it were).
so heres the list of most powerful women in business http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/fortune/womenpay/index.html and i'm glad to see some blondes. :)

Caption:"Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall attends the book launch of 'The Year Of Eating Dangerously' by Tom Parker Bowles, at Kensington Place on October 12, 2006 in London, England."

(Photos by Dave M. Benett/Getty Images)

When i saw the picture of Camilla with her children from yesterday evening, it seams to me that her daughter Laura looks like, as if she is pregnant. I thought the same first, when i saw her at the memorial service for Bruce Shand some weeks ago.

I don´t want to make new rumours...but what do you think?

Laura does seem to look fuller but there untill the official announcement, all we can do, is guessing (and hoping!).

The Duchess looked splendid yesterday (on both occasions!). :flowers:
I just love to see how close Camilla is to her children-in-law.

Photos by Dave M. Benett/Getty Images
All pictures of the yesterday's event can be found here

Last edited:
To me it also seems that Laura is pregnant. Shortly before her wedding she said, she wishes lots of babies. That would be very fine, C+C as grandparents.:flowers:

duchess

the duchess looks great and laura does look like she has put on some weight, i hope she is having a baby.:flowers:

I think it's also great to see how well Camilla gets along with her ex-husband Andrew Parker-Bowles. It's interesting to find out from the comment from her son Tom that she taught him how to cook. She appears to be more down to earth than I would have thought.

She probably shoots the animals, catches the fish, and grows the fruit and vegetables as well as cooking them. That's how these country ladies seem to operate, anyway. Literally down to earth!

how nice gestures of Camilla and her ex-husband Andrew talking each other after divorces

Elspeth said:
She probably shoots the animals, catches the fish, and grows the fruit and vegetables as well as cooking them. That's how these country ladies seem to operate, anyway. Literally down to earth!

Good grief, it's the men that do the shooting (birds, not bullocks and lambs) and fishing for food, the women only do it for sport! :lol:

Skydragon said:
Good grief, it's the men that do the shooting (birds, not bullocks and lambs) and fishing for food, the women only do it for sport! :lol:

LOL, indeed! :ROFLMAO:

milla Ca said:
`I felt for my mother and Sir`
It shows again that Camilla is a wonderful mother. It would be interesting too, wheather Tom calls Charles also privately Sir... i can not really imagine:rolleyes: ...

My son's call their father 'sir', my brothers also called my father 'sir', so I see nothing wrong with it. :)

Skydragon said:
My son's call their father 'sir', my brothers also called my father 'sir', so I see nothing wrong with it. :)

Okay, i understand, thank you Skydragon.:)
I see, I don´t know all kinds of English behaviour or politeness. In Germany no son or son-in-law would call the father ´Sir´.

milla Ca said:
Okay, i understand, thank you Skydragon.:)
I see, I don´t know all kinds of English behaviour or politeness. In Germany no son or son-in-law would call the father ´Sir´.

Naturally, they wouldn't call him "Sir" because we don't have an expression like that. But my mother is still furious (which is a rare occasion as she is quite mild-tempered and good humoured) that my brother's wife had the "impertinence" as she calls it to start calling her by her christian name before she was invited to it. While she very gracefully invited my husband to use her "family nick name" and to say "Du" to her. German has a grammatical "person" for friends, family etc. and for more formal aquaintance. "Du" is the private expression, while "Sie" is the formal one.

My late first husband only was invited to call my father by his christian name and to use the "Du" on our wedding eve's party. My mother never invited him to call her by her christian name, but she told him he could call her "mother" and "Du" - some time after the wedding! My cousins all are advised to call her "aunt" plus christian name and that's how I do it with my aunts and uncles as well. It was a great honour when my respective husbands were invited to call my aunts and uncles that and to use the "Du". It's true, my family is a bit on the formal side but IMHO "form follows function" and there is a sense in it.
Even nowadays.

My son was three years old when we took him for the first time to a Michelin two star restaurant (in a 5 star hotel) whose owner we knew quite well. While we stayed at the place and brought the nanny with us, the owner asked us if we didn't want to bring the boy to the restaurant at least for one course. As we were his guests this evening, we thought about it and agreed. Son behaved "royally" even for two courses, delighting the whole table with his tries to imitate the good behaviour of the other guests. When he got tired the nanny picked him up but he still (he's 13 now) recalls this evening and has behaved in public ever since. So - I'm convinced there is a sense in being strict on formalities when it comes to the education of the children. Because there might be a chance they might come regularily into the presence of people who believe formalities are there to make the life of all people concerned more pleasant. And then they should know how to behave, shouldn't they? :flowers:

It is so nice to hear the "other side of the story" from Camilla's children. Apparently, William and Harry don't take the whole issue between Camilla/Diana/Charles to heart either as they seem to like Camilla and have been friends with her children for many years. It is so nice that the younger generation get along and look to the future.

I agree with you Jo, that formalities and other rules are very important for the education of our children.
But i think, to call someone´sie ´or ´du´in german, is not to compare with the english´Sir´. I would translate´Sir´with the german´Mein Herr´.
But maybe my knowledge, how to call someone in english is not good enough, and then i apologize.

milla Ca said:
I agree with you Jo, that formalities and other rules are very important for the education of our children.
But i think, to call someone´sie ´or ´du´in german, is not to compare with the english´Sir´. I would translate´Sir´with the german´Mein Herr´.
But maybe my knowledge, how to call someone in english is not good enough, and then i apologize.

Hm.. I'm not sure about that - Sir = Mein Herr. But you're right of course in this point when you say that there is no German equivalent of "Sir" - which is a pity. As an example: my husband is very often called "Herr Doktor plus name" because he is a Dr.-Ing., even though he does not like others using his academic title (different from me who enjoys it! And I'm thinkin g he deserves it because it is not easy to get a promotion to Dr.-Ing.!). That is okay. But there simply is no other way anymore to adress differences in station in Germany. While there are still differences in station! Even in a democracy like ours. And even within the family it's only slight things, nuances, which help to determine the status of a person (we don't need to discuss the question of status within the family here, I hope... :flowers: ). While the "Sir" or "Madam" is a very practical thing when you think about it. So Tom Parker-Bowles calling The Prince of Wales "Sir" opens up all kind of possibilities of informal behaviour while on the other side acting according to the rules. I wish we had that like the British or the French still do! It would make things really easier. What do you think?

If the boys are being chastised they call me ma'am. :lol: They may call me other things when I am out of hearing! :ROFLMAO:

When my grandfather 'addressed' me, I always replied 'Yes Sir', to show he had my attention, when I wanted to address him, I said 'Grandpapa'.
The same 'rules' apply within our family now.

It appears to be fashionable in some quarters for children to address their parents, by their forenames! :ohmy:

Thank you for teaching me something about british formalities, how to call and address relatives!:flowers:
The english language contains more words to say something polite than the german one. Or maybe the english people are more respectful ?;)
Anyhow, i understand that Tom Parker Bowles has chosen the right address for the Prince.

milla Ca said:
Thank you for teaching me something about british formalities, how to call and address relatives!:flowers:
The english language contains more words to say something polite than the german one. Or maybe the english people are more respectful ?;)
Anyhow, i understand that Tom Parker Bowles has chosen the right address for the Prince.

I hope I am not confusing you, I'm afraid there are no 'hard and fast' rules on what children call their parents, to us it is natural to call the male parent 'sir', to others it would be far too formal. :flowers: At least with German, as I understand it, du is for people you know well or an insult to those you don't.

Remembering the source, I would not take every word in this article as granted. But if it's true, I am glad Camilla's sense of humour was with her! :lol: :lol:

The Day A Journalist Asked Camilla: Are You Going To Pose Nude?

Never afraid to push the boundaries, Morgan showed no restraint when speaking to the woman who is destined to be Princess Consort, especially when he noticed her chatting with Jonathan 'Jonny' Yeo, a portrait artist who looks set to follow his father, former Cabinet minister Tim Yeo, by becoming a prospective Conservative Member of Parliament.
Sidling up to the two as they chatted amiably, Morgan quipped: "Is he trying to get you to pose nude, Camilla? He does that with all the famous women. Be careful."

Avalon said:
Remembering the source, I would not take every word in this article as granted. But if it's true, I am glad Camilla's sense of humour was with her! :lol: :lol:

The Day A Journalist Asked Camilla: Are You Going To Pose Nude?
"

"Piers Morgan has always been a great fan of Camilla"

It must have been another Piers Morgan in charge of the Mirror for all those years! :ermm: . As you say Avalon, it is as well to remember the source! :lol:

Well, I go to Marks and Sparks so looks like I'm a true sheep of the Camilla flock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom