The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off thanks Miche for the link to the Queen. I also think that everyone on this forum could find plenty of pics with people wearing black strapless dresses. So as usual the Diana comparisons was a reach.

In all fairness, the Diana dress is famous. Those pictures are fairly iconic and much has been written about that dress. I don't think the comparisons were over the top at all, and I think the insistence that Catherine NEVER be compared to Diana is just as silly as comparing every little thing would be.

Diana's part of the history of the royal family, and she shouldn't dominate the conversation but she shouldn't be absent from it either. I'm sure Kate knew the comparison would be made, and I'm positive that she didn't mind it one bit.

I don't think the comparisons were over the top at all, and I think the insistence that Catherine NEVER be compared to Diana is just as silly as comparing every little thing would be.

Diana's part of the history of the royal family, and she shouldn't dominate the conversation but she shouldn't be absent from it either. I'm sure Kate knew the comparison would be made, and I'm positive that she didn't mind it one bit.

My and the previous poster's references to Diana's black dress , and the Queen's studio portrait in a black strapless dress were made to answer another poster's question of whether or not BRF ladies can wear black in instances other than funerals. They were not made as an easy reference to Diana.
I very much like your sentiment, HRH H, re: Diana as it is a good way to regard those who have died, "not dominate the conversation but she shouldn't be absent from it either".:)

The dress was long, but it may have been intentional to achieve those graceful folds around her feet? A lot of celebrities seem to wear this style to walk the red carpet.

Things have changed in 30 years, Diana got in big trouble for wearing it in 1981, it was headline news, (plus the plunging neckline!)
She didn't wear black again as POW, even her famous dance with John Travolta was midnight blue.

And, there is a wonderful image of the Queen wearing a poodle skirt in 1955, I will try to get it.
It's a question of clothes that are off duty or on-duty.

Diana actually did wear black when she was POW.

The Princess Of Wales At The Barbican For A Performance Of

Diana Princess Of Wales Attending The Film Premiere At The

Even the Queen has worn black to an official event.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6329/article123394707831d470.jpg

So I don't think things have really changed much in the last 30 years.

Last edited:
I thought the issue with Diana's black sleeveless dress 30 years ago was that when she got out of the car you got more of a glimpse of her décolletage than was socially acceptable then. The same for when she climbed the stairs at that same event.

TLLK said:
I agree. This is one of her most elegant looks to date.

I love the way Catherine looks in that black dress she looks beautiful and elegant:)

I agree - the Duchess of Cambridge "rocked" at the "millies"!!!

Diana actually did wear black when she was POW.

The Princess Of Wales At The Barbican For A Performance Of

Diana Princess Of Wales Attending The Film Premiere At The

Even the Queen has worn black to an official event.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6329/article123394707831d470.jpg

So I don't think things have really changed much in the last 30 years.
Thank you for the correction and the wonderful images! Never say never but let's say black was discouraged?
Diana's dress issue was the color and the plunging neckline, something not all of us have to worry about

In fact, until maybe 40 years ago (please correct me on this) any teenager was discouraged from wearing black dresses, it was reserved for when you were "older", and sophisticated.
It seems hard to believe now but it's also hard to believe women couldn't wear pants to certain restaurants either!

Perhaps the 'scandal' of the black gown was a mainly media manufactured 'scandal'? For some reason I thought the reason that eyebrows were raised when Diana wore that gown was that it was strapless and somewhat suggestive? As opposed to black?

Thank you for the correction and the wonderful images! Never say never but let's say black was discouraged?
Diana's dress issue was the color and the plunging neckline, something not all of us have to worry about
Good point about the media fabrication, about which Princess Grace of Monaco famously was quoted that evening, but that's for another thread...

Anyway, black for evening is so pervasive now as to be conventional and boring.

Not the case for this black couture dress chosen by the Duchess of Cambridge.

Last edited:
Perhaps the 'scandal' of the black gown was a mainly media manufactured 'scandal'? For some reason I thought the reason that eyebrows were raised when Diana wore that gown was that it was strapless and somewhat suggestive? As opposed to black?

It was a size too small and hers cups were in danger of running over, that is what raised eyebrows.

She looks stunning, probably her best look yet. She looks elgant and hott at the same time.
I wonder how long it will take for people to stop mentioning Diana at every turn. A strapless black gown does not automatically = Diana.

Exactly, yes. The dress was too small for her. OTOH Kate's dress is a perfect fit and doesn't show any cleavage.

It was a size too small and hers cups were in danger of running over, that is what raised eyebrows.

She looks stunning, probably her best look yet. She looks elgant and hott at the same time.
I wonder how long it will take for people to stop mentioning Diana at every turn. A strapless black gown does not automatically = Diana.
How long will it take for people to equate a bateau neckline, or capri pants or flats with Audrey Heburn? Or a bouffant hairdo and pillbox hat with Jackie Kennedy? Or the hermes bag with Grace kelly...
As long as those who remember are alive I guess...I was about Diana's age so there are many of us who feel an age kinship with her.:flowers:

Seeing as how I don't equate capri pants with Audrey Hepburn I guess your theory is void; especially considering that Diana was not the first nor the last person to wear a black strapless gown nor did she make them famous like Jackie did with her hats. Just stop bringing up Diana when this is about Kate Middleton, you want to feel a kinship with her then go to her forum. Jeeze I liked the woman as well, but good lord must she be brought up in every conversation? Kate cuts her hair, oh let's bring up the time Diana cut her hair. Oh Kate's pregnant, let's talk about Diana's two pregnancy etc.

Exactly, yes. The dress was too small for her. OTOH Kate's dress is a perfect fit and doesn't show any cleavage.

Kate's dress did fit her perfectly, and I think the length was on purpose; some have said it is supposed to be a fishtail dress which are usually longer towards the back. I usually hate fishtail dresses, but one's like Kate look different than the normal one's I see.

Last edited:
Kate's dress did fit her perfectly, and I think the length was on purpose; some have said it is supposed to be a fishtail dress which are usually longer toward the back. I usually hate fishtail dresses, but one's like Kate look different than the normal one's I see.
Yes her dress did fit perfectly except for the length. If it was on purpose then it was pretty silly because she spent her time with handfuls of dress. But I am nonplussed by the notion the dress was in any way a fishtail dress. It had a demi train. Just look at all those truly wonderful gowns worn by the Swedish royal ladies particularly to the Nobel's.

Overall, I think the dress was beautifully fitted and very elegant, length notwithstanding. It had a very modest bodice, flattering and not in the least vulgar.

could the gown is suppose to be long? i need schooled in this because i've seen pic of ladies in gowns with and without trains

I think this dress ages her!

Last edited:
Mirabel said:
I can't decide if I like the dress; it seems too busy, or something.
Yet I think she looks quite pretty.

I think the dress has too much black lace I mean she's young and yet this dress makes her look much older than she is she shouldve worn at least a similar dress to when she wore the one shoulder black dress.

I like the dress, but I just want her to wear her hair up. I may have to go to an event specifically to tell her to wear her hair up at some point.

It does look as though she's going lighter on the lower liner. I like it. But I agree with others, this black lace gown/suit is aging. The whole effect, with the long dark hair, has a kind of Morticia-like look about it.

Last edited:
I like the style of the gown but unfortunately not the fabric. It does look too busy and aging and I think if the lace was used in moderation, it would have looked better than the full length. Or even if the overskirt were a solid chiffon in a brighter color. This reminds me of the lace top that she wore to the art school in California, which really looked nice because she paired it with a white skirt that looked more youthful. Maybe something similar to that would have looked good.

I'm glad to see she's making improvements with her eyeliner, now it's the hair that needs to be addressed. An updo to show off those sparkling diamond art-deco earrings that are so obscured would have been stunning. Sorry to say, but I have to agree with the Morticia comparison.

Last edited:
Love the lace A.T. dress, but it just doesn't work for her. Kate doesn't have enough glam and wow factor to pull off a dress like that. It might have helped if she wore her hair up and maybe some diamond jewelry. She needs a stylist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom