The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 27: September 2019 - January 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She looked so beautiful in this outfit. The color and draped neckline suits her. I wish the dress was a few inches shorter and that she had worn different shoes. The spike heeled pumps looked out of place

As much as I really thought Kate looked fantastic in what she wore getting off that flight, I do have to admit that it took a while before I realized that the ensemble actually had trousers. That's what I think was wrong with it. The trousers should have been more prominently visible to ensure that this outfit was a resemblance to a salwar kameez.

It was this picture that Fijiro posted elsewhere here that finally clicked on that lightbulb over my head.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG21pXNX4AIWtW2.jpg

Yes the porportions are off (this is a theme with her) ...the trousers are either too short or her shirt is too long (whichever way you see it).

It would of looked better on her, IMO, to have a full length trouser with a shorter shirt. Her torso is so long as it is.

LaRae

The outfit is my local designer Maheen Khan.

That green is divine, and those shoes are to die for.

I think all the outfits so far have been regal and beautiful - particularly the colours are most striking.

The Khan is lovely! Perfect for Kate.

But oh my, the green Catherine Walker is just terrible and yet again proves that Kate should stick to local designers if she wants to do local dress.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 27: September 2019 -

Love both outfits. They’re classy, suitable, and have beautiful colors. The blue is my favorite of the two. Perfect. I also like her jewelry choices.

The arrival photo showing William and Catherine from the back was stunning. The photographer did a great job.

Last edited:
The Khan is lovely! Perfect for Kate.

But oh my, the green Catherine Walker is just terrible and yet again proves that Kate should stick to local designers if she wants to do local dress.

I agree about the Khan, it looks perfect.:flowers:

I wouldn't say the green is awful; the shoulders look too squared-off or something- not sure what it is, but the color is fantastic.

So far she has done well for the trip.

Love both outfits. They’re classy, suitable, and have beautiful colors. The blue is my favorite of the two. Perfect. I also like her jewelry choices.

The arrival photo showing William and Catherine from the back was stunning. The photographer did a great job.

It seems to be a signature of that photographer/social media manager. He did a similar shot with William in the ME and with Meghan and Harry in Fiji.

The blue outfit by Maheen Khan is beautiful, and perfect for the first engagements, cool and flattering. The green is a wonderful color on her, and I like the style, but once again the shoulders are too padded and extreme. I like the rest of the cut on the Catherine Walker, but not those shoulders.

So far Catherine seems to have chosen to stay on the very modest side of dressing in terms of the length of her tunic/coat/overdress, which I am assuming is under advice, just as she did for her London visit before this trip. We'll see if that develops into a theme, but at this point what I am seeing is very careful, diplomatic dressing, with a lovely mix of local designers thrown in. It may not be fashion forward, but not offending her hosts or inflaming any tensions seems to be the objective rather than anything else.

Her blue ensemble wasn’t bad, but the green one was horrid.
Looks like she just wore one of her coat dressed with white trousers.
Fusion dressing looks horrible, stick to western dressing or traditional dressing.

If you follow #RoyalTourPakistan or #RoyalVisitPakistan on social media Catherine is being praised for her outfits. The locals are giving her outfits a big thumbs up.

Last edited:
So far Catherine seems to have chosen to stay on the very modest side of dressing in terms of the length of her tunic/coat/overdress, which I am assuming is under advice, just as she did for her London visit before this trip. We'll see if that develops into a theme, but at this point what I am seeing is very careful, diplomatic dressing, with a lovely mix of local designers thrown in. It may not be fashion forward, but not offending her hosts or inflaming any tensions seems to be the objective rather than anything else.

Given the tricky nature and seriousness of this tour, I think Catherine is doing the right thing by prioritising diplomatic dressing and appearing demure. The point of this trip is not the clothing, though if handled carefully, the clothing can be used to send out messages.

Given the tricky nature and seriousness of this tour, I think Catherine is doing the right thing by prioritising diplomatic dressing and appearing demure. The point of this trip is not the clothing, though if handled carefully, the clothing can be used to send out messages.

Agreed, and I notice that she is indeed getting lots of positive comments from the Pakistani commenters on social media.

While the arrival outfit was a lovely color, the drape of the neckline and the length really made it look like a dress with trousers underneath to me. The blue from this morning is beautiful and she looks lovely. The green just screams Catherine Walker coat, of which Kate has a multitude. The mix with the trousers by the Pakistani designer with the CW coat makes it look as if she just added the trousers to one of her coats.

I have been having a problem with so-called "diplomatic dressing" for some time now. It has become such a cliche that it is almost a joke. Ladies show up in a foreign country wearing either the colors of the flag or national dress of the country they are visiting even if the style or color doesn't suit them. I don't expect visitors to the USA to wear red, white and blue. I expect them to be representing their country not mine. Depending on the length of the tour, it could be appropriate to wear an outfit designed by a designer from that country. However, what happens if you go to a country and don't wear their colors, have you now insulted them?

Someone mentioned cultural appropriation above and what a fine line it is. If Kate wears Pakistani style outfits the entire tour, I think she will have crossed it even though the press line will be about her channeling her mother in law. I know Camilla has done a lot of this in the India, Pakistan, SE Asia area and I have had some problems with it even though I am sure in her case it helps her deal with the heat. There is a point where instead of honoring a place, you turn their national dress into a costume.

While the arrival outfit was a lovely color, the drape of the neckline and the length really made it look like a dress with trousers underneath to me. The blue from this morning is beautiful and she looks lovely. The green just screams Catherine Walker coat, of which Kate has a multitude. The mix with the trousers by the Pakistani designer with the CW coat makes it look as if she just added the trousers to one of her coats.

I have been having a problem with so-called "diplomatic dressing" for some time now. It has become such a cliche that it is almost a joke. Ladies show up in a foreign country wearing either the colors of the flag or national dress of the country they are visiting even if the style or color doesn't suit them. I don't expect visitors to the USA to wear red, white and blue. I expect them to be representing their country not mine. Depending on the length of the tour, it could be appropriate to wear an outfit designed by a designer from that country. However, what happens if you go to a country and don't wear their colors, have you now insulted them?

Someone mentioned cultural appropriation above and what a fine line it is. If Kate wears Pakistani style outfits the entire tour, I think she will have crossed it even though the press line will be about her channeling her mother in law. I know Camilla has done a lot of this in the India, Pakistan, SE Asia area and I have had some problems with it even though I am sure in her case it helps her deal with the heat. There is a point where instead of honoring a place, you turn their national dress into a costume.

I'm one of the people who commented on the tricky nature of cultural appropriation yesterday. I think one of the things that makes it a fine line is that different cultures and countries have very different attitudes towards foreigners wearing their national dress. Some cultures aren't fussed by it at all, some seem to find it flattering, or at least take it as a compliment, and others are offended. From the comments I've been reading from Pakistanis on social media, most of the commenters seem to find Catherine's dressing to be a positive thing. I'd be very surprised if this were not something that Catherine received advice on when her wardrobe was being planned, but we'll see how this plays out.

The US doesn't have national dress, and red and blue have acquired unfortunate political associations in this country, so visitors not wearing red or blue is probably a very good thing. I don't think the situations are analogous.

I agree. This is a wise move on Catherine's part to wear modest and demure outfits on this tour.

I'm one of the people who commented on the tricky nature of cultural appropriation yesterday. I think one of the things that makes it a fine line is that different cultures and countries have very different attitudes towards foreigners wearing their national dress. Some cultures aren't fussed by it at all, some seem to find it flattering, or at least take it as a compliment, and others are offended. From the comments I've been reading from Pakistanis on social media, most of the commenters seem to find Catherine's dressing to be a positive thing. I'd be very surprised if this were not something that Catherine received advice on when her wardrobe was being planned, but we'll see how this plays out.

The US doesn't have national dress, and red and blue have acquired unfortunate political associations in this country, so visitors not wearing red or blue is probably a very good thing. I don't think the situations are analogous.

The bold part was directed at the flag color dressing as opposed to national dress. I mentioned both in my comment.

Both outfits today are big hits Imo:appropriate dkcent and gentem nod to the culture of the visuted country .
The purple one from the morning events won me i looove it..sooo far grat job frol the Duchess

I am happy to read the first look was from a local designer. The designer wasnt mentioned when I posted last night.

I had a feeling, from the cut and tailoring, the designer is used to the style.

Her second look is almost perfect. I will give it a 9 out of 10.

I love the bright green jacket, the color is fantastic on her. And I even like the coat dress being used with trousers under it like this. This one the proportions are better for wearing with trousers.

It loses a point because of the very boxy padded shoulders of the coat.

But all in all her day looks were definitely a hit for me.

Second look of the trip. A more traditional take,

Blue again which suits her. Proportions definitely better on this one.

The blue dress is very beautiful. I dislike the pants however. I understand it’s a part of a traditional Pakistani outfit for women, but I still dislike it in general.

Elegant and perfect dressed!

And later change for the meeting with Prime Minister Imran Khan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG5-JG2WsAEJvOI?format=png&name=900x900
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EG58xZ8WoAAXMdA?format=jpg&name=large

Trousers by Maheen Khan and a tunic by Catherine Walker, with a scarf by Satrangi and earrings by Zeen

I love the green coat. Very elegant and a wonderful color.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's a very nice look for the engagements, and I think the hat looks fantastic on Catherine. She looked much more comfortable in it than William did in his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom