The Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla, 6 May 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
James and Louise were not supposed to be in the Procession - they were literally added yesterday to aviod two gapping holes in the carriage caused by the lack of the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. I guess it was easier to place them in the carriage then selecting the York sisters or Andrew. Or leaving it open and have the press say it was meant for the Sussex;s.
I think it was just easier from then to allow then on the balcony. They could have waited with the Ladies in Waiting.
Off topic - but there is definitely something going on there with the Edinburgh's and Charles - from the titles to the change. We will just to wait and see.

Charles had a lovely smile for his brother as he left the Abbey.
I do not think the Duke of Kent or Pc Alexandra were ever meant to be in a carriage. Their mobility is very limited.

James and Louise were not supposed to be in the Procession - they were literally added yesterday to aviod two gapping holes in the carriage caused by the lack of the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexander. I guess it was easier to place them in the carriage then selecting the York sisters or Andrew. Or leaving it open and have the press say it was meant for the Sussex;s.
I think it was just easier from then to allow then on the balcony. They could have waited with the Ladies in Waiting.
Off topic - but there is definitely something going on there with the Edinburgh's and Charles - from the titles to the change. We will just to wait and see.

And your source for this is? In the order of service that was released they were included - and it is consistent with how they were treated at last year's jubilee. So, I would be very interested in your proof - as all the evidence I see points to the contrary.

Moreover, nobody is concerned about not each seat in a carriage being taken. For example, the last carriage only included 3 instead of 4 persons. Had the felt the need to 'fill up' they would have found someone - but clearly that is not an issue.

Why weren't the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra in the carriage procession? I thought they'd be there, like the Gloucesters. BTW, the Duchess of Gloucester looked amazing but that's nothing new. I've always admired her style. And she (and Sophie, of course) had headpieces that were in line with Catherine's not-tiara. I was very glad to see the Duke and Duchess in prominent seats. They were always the late Queen's troopers. They deserve the recognition.

Pretty sure it is because of mobility issues: processing into the Abbey must have been too much for the Duke of Kent; and princess Alexandra most likely chose to not participate either because of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Hallo girl and Somebody. I was wondering.

Pretty sure it is because of mobility issues: processing into the Abbey must have been too much for the Duke of Kent; and princess Alexandra most likely chose to not participate either because of that.

Yes indeed. Their youngest sibling Prince Michael already had difficulties walking down the aisle.

Pss Alexandra is elderly and not very strong either, so possibly neither of them were mobile enough for a lot of walking....

We will see how this Coronation will affect future Enthronements. If the Swedes keep it a formal affair, I can see the Dutch and Japanese keeping theirs formal too. When the Swedes do it in the same dresscode as today, I think we will never see white tie and long day robes again because of today's example.

Another fall-out is that the days of Peers and Peeresses are gone and that is very sad. It was so British, unlike any other monarchy, to have such a visible and colourful representation of the Peerages.

I mean, a Countess Spencer or a Countess Caernarfon can auction off their grandest jewels. No more needed at all by lack of bejewelled banquets, balls, premières and Coronations.

Last edited:
Apparently, the king was wearing the imperial state crown the other way around: instead of the red stone (ruby), the green stone was on the front. When he appeared on the balcony this had been corrected, so someone must have noticed in between.

Trying to find pictures of it to confirm (the 'mistake' was mentioned by Dutch royalty expert Justine Marcella).

Edit: Based on the video of him leaving the Abbey, I'd say he is wearing it correctly...
When did you see that? The ruby was on front all the time...

Some thoughts: As a traditionalist I was unhappy with some aspects about clothes and the service.
I thought The King´s purple jacket did not fit to his black trousers at all. Then he wore the traditional bucketed shoes, normally worn with white stockings and breeches. I understand he wanted to modernise things - but that should have been more balanced. Either uniform under coronation robes with fitting boots OR traditional robes, not a mixture! To me it looked odd.
The same with the pages: Page jackets paired with average black trousers...:ermm:
Then, why this loveless coronation of the Queen! Before I understood it was her turn it was over... No coming forth to the altar, no anointing, just placing the crown while sitting on the chair of state... Never seen such a strange crowning of a Queen consort in Britain before! And why on earth wasn´t she handed her scepters to hold?! When Camilla left the Abbey, it looked strangely "naked" without holding anything in her hands.
Further more I wondered why the royal couple disappeared in the chapel of Edward the confessor after the coronation to return bareheaded and sit in the chairs of state again. This was a completely unnessesary and disturbing interruption without reason. Elizabeth II removed her crown in front of the altar to receive communion. The only time she left the theatre was when she changed her coronation garments into the train of purple velvet at the end. It is ancient custom that a crowned royal couple would not sit on the chairs of state again, but on their thrones in the middle of the theatre.

All in all it occured to me Charles never understood the symbolism and meaning of this particular ceremony...!
The carpet, which, as the Liber Regalis says, has to be a golden one, looked yellow and a bit cheap. I don´t want to start all over again about the King and Queen´s clothes not fitting to the rest of the congregation - or other way round - at all. Even that pretty simple inauguration in the Netherlands, which, in essence, is a "hermine cloaked" administrative act, required long dresses and orders...
I´m sorry, lots to moan about from my point of view, but I was so much looking forward to this event, but the more details got released, the more frustrated I became... I now understand that the UK and the world will never ever see the wonderful tastefully and dignified coronations there were in the 20th century again.
Still I liked the entrance of the royal couple into the Abbey, some pieces of the music and the Queen´s coronation dress. I also liked the fact that members of the royal family wore their order robes, like the Pcss of Wales or the Dchss of Edinburgh!

Last edited:
We will see how this Coronation will affect future Enthronements. If the Swedes keep it a formal affair, I can see the Dutch and Japanese keeping theirs formal too. When the Swedes do it in the same dresscode as today, I think we will never see white tie and long day robes again because of today's example.

Actually Sweden is different as it is usually done a few days after the death of a former Monarch. And the last one was before the Swedish Constitutuion was changed and the King lost most of it Powers, so one has to see how it will be done at the next one.

In Europe only in the Netherlands there is a similar big Ceremony, in all the others it is a national Event with no foreign guests etc.

The front pages already have their choice of photos, but new photos tomorrow?? Now this is an eye-catching photo from a never-seen before angle! (if only it was centered)

Wales social media: Good job on the split carriage photos and sneaking in a fab photo of Kate on Instagram! Buttt I scrolled passed this photo on Instagram, because I thought it was a fan photo, could have found a better composition. And please don’t overdo the Wes Anderson trend.

Figurative painter Peter Kuhfeld is painting Charles’ Coronation State Portrait. If this is like the Obama portraits, go all out artsy. But I want a traditional regal portrait! I hope it is not too blurry/splotchy, Camilla’s portrait might be more sharp looking.

[....]on TV and the internet is about Charles and the people of the UK. And Catherine and Charlote's flower tiaras are the trend on the internet.

It reminded me of the flower tiara Crown Princess Mary wore on the baptisms of her children.

I was going to say… imagine if Charles had royal first cousins, would they be more like QEII’s cousins or Will’s cousins….

But then I realized if Elizabeth had a brother he would have been King!

Actually Sweden is different as it is usually done a few days after the death of a former Monarch. And the last one was before the Swedish Constitutuion was changed and the King lost most of it Powers, so one has to see how it will be done at the next one.

In Europe only in the Netherlands there is a similar big Ceremony, in all the others it is a national Event with no foreign guests etc.
The blessing of the King´s of Norway are much "bigger" and more spiritual! Yes, they do not invite royal guests and make it a purely national occasion. But foreign guests hardly visible wearing daytime wear do not make things more grander or spectacular, as we could see again today!
In Norway, the royal couple receives the blessing from the church midst a long and solemn service. In the Netherlands the new monarch, in a crimson robe, though, just reads a speech, outlining his reign and ministers swearing allegiance, and that´s basically that.

The blessing of the King´s of Norway are much "bigger" and more spiritual! Yes, they do not invite royal guests and make it a purely national occasion. But foreign guests hardly visible wearing daytime wear do not make things more grander or spectacular, as we could see again today!
In Norway, the royal couple receives the blessing from the church midst a long and solemn service. In the Netherlands the new monarch, in a crimson robe, though, just reads a speech, outlining his reign and ministers swearing allegiance, and that´s basically that.

That last one is the essence of all Continental monarchs' (and the Japanese) enthronements: addressing the congregation and making a solemn pledge on the Constitution. We can say Charles' Proclamation was essentially that and the Coronation was and extra and in essence a religious ceremony.

Do the guest have now a dinner, or the program is finished now and they travelled to home? Or is there any other program for them in the next days?

I agree. I actually think that all members is his family should have been on the balcony — working royals or not. At the heart of it —
It was just as much a family affair as a state occasion.

I think perhaps Andrew and Harry were issues.

Generally- though-IA. It would have been nice to see them all there. It may not have been fair, but I’m glad Louise and James were up there anyway.

Considering that it was quite rainy, I was very impressed with the crowds today. When the public were able to file down The Mall and in front of Buckingham Palace, you could see that there was a very large number of people present today.

I was impressed by the crowds. Wonderful turnout.

I was going to say… imagine if Charles had royal first cousins, would they be more like QEII’s cousins or Will’s cousins….

But then I realized if Elizabeth had a brother he would have been King!

He has two first cousins from his mother’s side. And more from his father’s side.

Some thoughts: As a traditionalist I was unhappy with some aspects about clothes and the service.
I thought The King´s purple jacket did not fit to his black trousers at all. Then he wore the traditional bucketed shoes, normally worn with white stockings and breeches. I understand he wanted to modernise things - but that should have been more balanced. Either uniform under coronation robes with fitting boots OR traditional robes, not a mixture! To me it looked odd.
The same with the pages: Page jackets paired with average black trousers...:ermm:
Then, why this loveless coronation of the Queen! Before I understood it was her turn it was over... No coming forth to the altar, no anointing, just placing the crown while sitting on the chair of state... Never seen such a strange crowning of a Queen consort in Britain before! And why on earth wasn´t she handed her scepters to hold?! When Camilla left the Abbey, it looked strangely "naked" without holding anything in her hands.
Further more I wondered why the royal couple disappeared in the chapel of Edward the confessor after the coronation to return bareheaded and sit in the chairs of state again. This was a completely unnessesary and disturbing interruption without reason. Elizabeth II removed her crown in front of the altar to receive communion. The only time she left the theatre was when she changed her coronation garments into the train of purple velvet at the end. It is ancient custom that a crowned royal couple would not sit on the chairs of state again, but on their thrones in the middle of the theatre.

All in all it occured to me Charles never understood the symbolism and meaning of this particular ceremony...!
The carpet, which, as the Liber Regalis says, has to be a golden one, looked yellow and a bit cheap. I don´t want to start all over again about the King and Queen´s clothes not fitting to the rest of the congregation - or other way round - at all. Even that pretty simple inauguration in the Netherlands, which, in essence, is a "hermine cloaked" administrative act, required long dresses and orders...
I´m sorry, lots to moan about from my point of view, but I was so much looking forward to this event, but the more details got released, the more frustrated I became... I now understand that the UK and the world will never ever see the wonderful tastefully and dignified coronations there were in the 20th century again.
Still I liked the entrance of the royal couple into the Abbey, some pieces of the music and the Queen´s coronation dress. I also liked the fact that members of the royal family wore their order robes, like the Pcss of Wales or the Dchss of Edinburgh!

Queen Elizabeth II was 27 when she was crowned; King Charles III is 74 and Queen Camilla is 75. It may be the case that wearing a crown during the entire communion rite would be just too uncomfortable for them, which might be why they retreated to the chapel and returned bareheaded.

I must say that the King and Queen wearing the crown felt a bit cartoonish to me. Even the splendor of the jewels on the crowns wasn't showing in the Abbey as it did in the last coronation with the young queen and the more glittering congregation. The feeling I got is that they were hanging on (barely) to a ceremony that no longer has any meaning for those who were watching it and felt out of place or out of time.

The King was very emotional though during the service and was genuinely moved.

Last edited:

One correction: the queen was annointed. Like the king they didn't show it but when they moved the camera to Camilla after the singing you could see the 'oil holder' and the Archbisshop cleaning/ drying his hand with a cloth.

I agree about the colors of the kinf's jackets. I thought both of them (the orange and purple ones) didn't really fit with the rest of the color scheme.

The Principality of Monaco has an Investiture Mass inside the Cathedral with lots of foreign Royals in attendance,, followed by a Gala, fireworks etc. At least Albert II did so.

It obviously is nowhere near the scale of what the Brits put on, but they definitely are not one of the monarchies that simply swear an oath and consider it done.

The Royal standard is down at Buckingham Palace so the king has left.
Hopefully they will get some rest this evening and a good night's sleep!

He has two first cousins from his mother’s side. And more from his father’s side.

LaBettie was discussing royal cousins. That would require cousins by an uncle as only the sons of the monarch pass on their royal status to their children.

First, even if the CoE loses its current status, that does not mean the King cannot keep his post as Supreme Governor, a tradition tracing back to the CoE own origins.

Second, even if they scrap some of the more traditional religious parts, there’s no need to exclude everything. The POTUS inauguration usually has many Christian features, yet there’s not really a discussion about it.

My main point was that it is not a necessity as was suggested.

And the religious makeup of the USA is quite different from the one in the UK.

Catherine and Princess Charlotte's headpieces were gorgeous, even better than a tiara.

Queen Elizabeth II was 27 when she was crowned; King Charles III is 74 and Queen Camilla is 75. It may be the case that wearing a crown during the entire communion rite would be just too uncomfortable for them, which might be why they retreated to the chapel and returned bareheaded.

I must say that the King and Queen wearing the crown felt a bit cartoonish to me. Even the splendor of the jewels on the crowns wasn't showing in the Abbey as it did in the last coronation with the young queen and the more glittering congregation. The feeling I got is that they were hanging on (barely) to a ceremony that no longer has any meaning for those who were watching it and felt out of place or out of time.

The King was very emotional though during the service and was genuinely moved.

I must agree that the crowns absolutely looked cartoonish, very unlike how they looked on the late Queen Elizabeth II.

Reminds me of the episode on the Crown when Thatcher says to the Queen: "There are ways of Britain being great again. And that is through a revitalized economy, not through association with unreliable tribal leaders in eccentric costumes.” The Queen reminds Thatcher that she is precisely that, a tribal leader in eccentric costume. Obviously fiction, but still.

Does anyone know which family that was sitting across from the Royal family in the front row?

Are they Royals too?
Or does anyone know who that is in the front row?

Attachments

• CFB5F778-BCAA-4FCC-A258-671C3B5D8C00.jpg
    CFB5F778-BCAA-4FCC-A258-671C3B5D8C00.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 107
I must agree that the crowns absolutely looked cartoonish, very unlike how they looked on the late Queen Elizabeth II.

Reminds me of the episode on the Crown when Thatcher says to the Queen: "There are ways of Britain being great again. And that is through a revitalized economy, not through association with unreliable tribal leaders in eccentric costumes.” The Queen reminds Thatcher that she is precisely that, a tribal leader in eccentric costume. Obviously fiction, but still.

Didn’t look cartoonish at all to me. I liked seeing the crowns. If we aren’t going to get tiaras, at least we got the fabulous, historical crowns that are worn at coronations. The crowns looked good with the rest of the coronation outfits.

And the robes of both the clergy and working family members, along with their uniforms and long dresses, uniforms of the pages, etc also helped pull it all together and make it work. It was not just your average service in Westminster.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which family that was sitting across from the Royal family in the front row?

Are they Royals too?
Or does anyone know who that is in the front row?

Queen Camilla's family, I think.

I'm waiting for official photos...

Back
Top Bottom