State Visit from the Emperor and Empress of Japan: 25-27 June 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the State Diner and Speeches in live but could not hear anything !
I saw the 4 pages - 15 minutes King's Speech and then the Emperor Speech, King Charles looked so tired during the Imperial Speech.
He missed nothing the 60 years Celebration of the Debarquement , went to France , Trooping the Colors , The Garter , 3 Ascots and Japanese State Visit. I hope now He will rest and continue his cancer treatment .

Toledo has posted a video on the previous page, and the speeches seem perfectly audible there, if you want to listen to them again.

Not that it matters much, but out of curiosity: why were the King and Queen in the middle, flanked by the emperor and empress? Wouldn't the proper etiquette be the two heads of state in the middle and flanked by the other's spouse?

Day 2 today, June 26.

Emperor Naruhito visited the Francis Crick Institute:

** gtresnews gallery **

** gettyimages: GBR: The Emperor And Empress Of Japan State Visit To The United Kingdom – Day 2 **
So no royal to accompany the Emperor and Empress on Day 2 events? But they have other events today? So different from the European royals on State visits where they are always accompanied by someone from the royal family (ie the recent Danish State Visits to Sweden and Norway).

i spotted this article of the emperor's time in his alma mater in the UK, oxford, which he is visiting at the end of the state visit. i thought it provided a nice glimpse into his life in the UK and as a student:

As explained, given Catherine's absence, Sophie was the second highest ranking female royal in the order of precedence (after the Queen). So she was seated where the Princess of Wales would be normally seated and I guess it made sense that she would be also given a "tiara upgrade", with a diadem also previously worn by Catherine.

Toledo has posted a video on the previous page, and the speeches seem perfectly audible there, if you want to listen to them again.

Not that it matters much, but out of curiosity: why were the King and Queen in the middle, flanked by the emperor and empress? Wouldn't the proper etiquette be the two heads of state in the middle and flanked by the other's spouse?
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip followed the same seating arrangememts, see here.

Pity neither the Dchss of Edinburgh nor the Empress attend the Guildhall banquet....!
Maybe the Duchess of Edinburgh did not attend precisely because the Empress would not be there either.

i spotted this article of the emperor's time in his alma mater in the UK, oxford, which he is visiting at the end of the state visit. i thought it provided a nice glimpse into his life in the UK and as a student:

Nice to hear from the emperor's old friend, and that he hopes his daughter will be friends with Aiko as well.

I had no idea the Emperor goes by Hiro. I wonder if many of the Japanese royals go by their titles?

Nice to hear from the emperor's old friend, and that he hopes his daughter will be friends with Aiko as well.

I had no idea the Emperor goes by Hiro. I wonder if many of the Japanese royals go by their titles?
Given that their daughters are in their 20s, it is a bit late to start hoping they will meet and develop a friendship...

If I recall correctly, officially, the Oxford visit is not part of the state visit (although today's visits were also without a royal host, so not much of a difference).

Given that their daughters are in their 20s, it is a bit late to start hoping they will meet and develop a friendship...
I'm afraid I can't agree. Perhaps it's unlikely they will be best friends who see each other frequently or speak for hours, but surely hoping they will meet and like each other and be able to communicate occasionally is not too much? Not only are there different forms of friendship, if there was an age limit cutoff, the world would be an even sadder place.

Back to the state visit...

Typically, if children of friends become friends as well that is because they connect at an early age when the families mingle with each other. It seems the two of them don't meet often, i.e. rarely, so it would be even more unlikely that they suddenly start meeting with their daughters in tow - given that it hasn't happened over the last 20 years when Naruhito wasn't emperor yet. But of course, he is free to 'hope' but it will be an empty dream.

But indeed, his Oxford visit has no formal relationship to the state visit. Nonetheless, I am glad that Naruhito managed to get most out of his trip to the UK by adding some private visits prior and after the state visit.

I wondered about that too!

It could be done in various ways, probably because of old habits in the respektive country.

Guests in the middle - In Norway is the visiting guests placed in the Middleton between the King and Queen of Norway. Probably a curtsey to placethe guests of honour in the prime seats.

Heads of State in the middle - In for instance Denmark and the Netherlands the two Heads of State are placed in the middle with the spouses on both sides.

Hosts in the middle - In UK when dining at Buckingham Palace the guests are seated on boyh sides of the hosts that takes the centre of the table.

Opposite of each other - In both Spain and Sweden (and UK when dining at Windsor Castle) the hosting Head of State and visiting spouse are placed facing the visiting Head of State and hosting spouse at a long table. Here an alternate male/female policy is used so it could also be Heads of State next to each other, but pairing up host and visitor.

Clearly mqny different ways to do the placement, and would be internt jnow the backgrund in the various countries.

No kisses between the King and the Emperor , which is normal , but friendly 2 kisses for the Empress .
The Emperor did not kiss Queen Camilla's hand. Is that normal ?.

No kisses between the King and the Emperor , which is normal , but friendly 2 kisses for the Empress .
The Emperor did not kiss Queen Camilla's hand. Is that normal ?.
I thought it looked very friendly, and natural, nothing forced at all. It was the Empress who leaned in for the kiss. All in all a very successful visit I would say.

On June 28th, Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako visited University of Oxford. They first visited Balliol College where Masako studied, and attended luncheon hosted by the university's president. Empress Masako was awarded an honorary doctorate in law.

Afterwards, the couple visited Merton College, where Naruhito studied, and planted a cherry tree before departing for Japan from RAF Brize Norton.

Photos: Getty Images, Mainichi, Asahi

Japan’s Emperor, Empress Plant Cherry Tree During Visit to Oxford Alma Maters; Emperor Praises ‘Rich Opportunities’ Oxford Colleges Gave to Imperial Couple - The Japan News
They also attended a luncheon at Balliol College. The Emperor gave a speech to the attendees, who included the Empress’ former teachers, according to the Imperial Household Agency. He said the couple cherishes the incomparably rich opportunities and wonderful memories that the University of Oxford has given to them.

Japan Emperor, Empress Revisit University of Oxford | Nippon.com
The Imperial couple arrived at the university's Balliol College around 11:40 a.m. After being welcomed by Christopher Patten, the university's chancellor, they walked around the college. The Empress was reunited with her former supervisor and dormitory manager there.

Back
Top Bottom