"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also interesting that the cover only says "Prince Harry" and not "The Duke of Sussex". On the one hand, that's how he's best known and titles are tricky in the US, anyway... on the other hand he and Meghan have used the ducal titles at every conceivable turn. I wonder if the British edition will be any different?

(The cynical corner of my mind says "Prince Harry" is what they have no chance of stripping from him. Also that "the man he has become" is still apparently..."Prince Harry".)

"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

It's also interesting that the cover only says "Prince Harry" and not "The Duke of Sussex". On the one hand, that's how he's best known and titles are tricky in the US, anyway... on the other hand he and Meghan have used the ducal titles at every conceivable turn. I wonder if the British edition will be any different?

(The cynical corner of my mind says "Prince Harry" is what they have no chance of stripping from him. Also that "the man he has become" is still apparently..."Prince Harry".)

Yeah. I thought it was interesting too that Duke of Sussex was left off. Honestly- just seeing “Prince Harry” looks a bit odd/funny to me. I can’t put my finger on why at the moment.

Yes- the man he has become is still Prince Harry, and his book is titled Spare. I realize some of that is marketing, but still.

I really dislike this title.

The title doesn't appear to be all capitalized; just on the cover.

I totally missed that detail. You made me research into this. Remember the book jacket was made by the publisher and possibly a committee or team of designers. I doubt Harry had too much of a say on the style used here.

If it helps, so Harry does not get blamed for a design he probably could not change, check this out: General capitalization rules for book titles

Quote on it is in the lower part of the article:

...Do you capitalize prepositions on a book cover?
Your title at the start of your book and when it appears on a book retailer should be correctly punctuated. It’s up to you to decide on which set of punctuation rules to follow. But for your book cover, you can be much more imaginative with your title. One of the most common ways to avoid any issues is to use all capital letters...The biggest benefit, apart from avoiding punctuation issues, is that all caps are easier to read..

Last edited:
How very revealing. This is about a person who could never deal with being No. 2. I'm not sure this title will help Harry's cause, but what of his latest actions have.
My first thought was, cry me a river. So many possibilities for him even as No. 2, but all he chose in the end is bitterness and resentment. And of course, none of this is his fault. I hope that people will see through this cheap attempt to make money of a status he seems to despise so much yet desperately clings on.

I understand the title in a different way. "Spare" for me means that he was born into a system where the positions are fixed by birth and no matter what you can do or not, nothing will change that. The "spare" is supplied with a position including housing, an appanage, servants because his existence offers the system security, He is important as long as he is needed but his value decreases once the heir has his own heir.

We have to wait what Harry has to say about that position, how he experienced it growing up and how it happened that he felt that the position offered within the Royal House was not how he wanted to live his life. There are so many open questions here (at least for me) and I look forward to read about that.

We've seen this question often in history when two princes close in age were raised but only the elder could become monarch. The "Spare" normally was the more interesting character because he had less inheritance/income, but more chances to deal with his position. Think Leopold of SCG, who planned to live as prince consort to the British queen Charlotte, but became a widower and then a king in his own right. His nephew Albert, who exchange the position to be the man behind his brother for the position to be man behind his wife the Queen. Philippe d'Orleans, brother of Louis XIV., who was blocked by his brother from helping him rule France, so became a lover of men and women and showed off his lifestyle.

But what were the chances for a modern-day spare? Joachim of Denmark's example is not really helpful, right? And Albert of Belgium only became king because his brother died childless. Carl XVI Gustaf did not have a spare, so prince Bertil could not marry his love Lilian. Don't start talking about Caroline of Monaco!

Yes, compared to a normal commoner, the spares are all privileged. They have the life in a gilded cage on being always second layed out before them when they are born. Some, as Albert of Belgium shows, even become king at an old age. But I don't see much evidence that such a life is good for all of these princes and princesses. Some cope, some create scandals and Harry left his family and his momeland he fought for as a soldier to go to life in a country where he can use what he was born with and what he learned to create his new life.

I just hope to find out more abouzt how life as the spare was for him, how much influence his family had against the institution of the monarchy, aka "the firm", how much effort was put into helping him make something to be proud of his life and how much pressure was put on him to just stick to the rules. What meeting Meghan changed for him, what she offered, what he took and what really happened according to him to make up his mind to leave the RF. How much it cost him to come back for his grandparent's funerals, how his relationship with his father changed, how much or little understanding is there for him.

That's why I'm going to read "Spare". I don't care much about the "truth" because I'M not in a position to know what is the truth after all, but I want to get a feeling for the person Harry is and how he tells his lifestory in a certain way.

And I think (or hope) that after "Spare" he can finally let loose of th life he decided against and look forward to live his new life together with his wife and children in the US and when he feels he needs to write another autobiography in maybe 20 years, he won't feel he has to redo the old one but will write one about a life of a man raised as a prince in the US. That sounds equally fascinating to me.

I understand the title in a different way. "Spare" for me means that he was born into a system where the positions are fixed by birth and no matter what you can do or not, nothing will change that. The "spare" is supplied with a position including housing, an appanage, servants because his existence offers the system security, He is important as long as he is needed but his value decreases once the heir has his own heir.

We have to wait what Harry has to say about that position, how he experienced it growing up and how it happened that he felt that the position offered within the Royal House was not how he wanted to live his life. There are so many open questions here (at least for me) and I look forward to read about that.

We've seen this question often in history when two princes close in age were raised but only the elder could become monarch. The "Spare" normally was the more interesting character because he had less inheritance/income, but more chances to deal with his position. Think Leopold of SCG, who planned to live as prince consort to the British queen Charlotte, but became a widower and then a king in his own right. His nephew Albert, who exchange the position to be the man behind his brother for the position to be man behind his wife the Queen. Philippe d'Orleans, brother of Louis XIV., who was blocked by his brother from helping him rule France, so became a lover of men and women and showed off his lifestyle.

But what were the chances for a modern-day spare? Joachim of Denmark's example is not really helpful, right? And Albert of Belgium only became king because his brother died childless. Carl XVI Gustaf did not have a spare, so prince Bertil could not marry his love Lilian. Don't start talking about Caroline of Monaco!

Yes, compared to a normal commoner, the spares are all privileged. They have the life in a gilded cage on being always second layed out before them when they are born. Some, as Albert of Belgium shows, even become king at an old age. But I don't see much evidence that such a life is good for all of these princes and princesses. Some cope, some create scandals and Harry left his family and his momeland he fought for as a soldier to go to life in a country where he can use what he was born with and what he learned to create his new life.

I just hope to find out more abouzt how life as the spare was for him, how much influence his family had against the institution of the monarchy, aka "the firm", how much effort was put into helping him make something to be proud of his life and how much pressure was put on him to just stick to the rules. What meeting Meghan changed for him, what she offered, what he took and what really happened according to him to make up his mind to leave the RF. How much it cost him to come back for his grandparent's funerals, how his relationship with his father changed, how much or little understanding is there for him.

That's why I'm going to read "Spare". I don't care much about the "truth" because I'M not in a position to know what is the truth after all, but I want to get a feeling for the person Harry is and how he tells his lifestory in a certain way.

And I think (or hope) that after "Spare" he can finally let loose of th life he decided against and look forward to live his new life together with his wife and children in the US and when he feels he needs to write another autobiography in maybe 20 years, he won't feel he has to redo the old one but will write one about a life of a man raised as a prince in the US. That sounds equally fascinating to me.

We all hope that Harry will just get on with his life and enjoy the many many fortunes he has. No interviews and no books. But at the moment it’s all he has to talk about it. But as the years go on and he has less and less contact with the family there won’t be much to say anyhow.

I don’t see his life as a ‘Spare’ the way you do. Of course you have the rules but every other member of the royal family, apart form the heir, is in that position. In fact most lower. He didn’t want it and couldn’t cope with it. But what about the others that have been affected by this too. What would Zara say? Eugenie? Edward? What would they all have to say about what has happened to their family? What would the friends who have been dropped seemingly have to say? After a lifetime of the restrictions placed on royal friends.

Harry’s position was for him to accept it or not accept it. It wasn’t personal. Railing about it, and I am not saying he is doing that, but the title seems a little self deluding.

Last edited:
Maybe the title is just a big PR teaser, and the book will be much more about his new life (which i agree with Figtree, i hope he really embraces that and lets go of the past if that caused him so much negativity),
but *if* the book indeed is about his feeling inferior about being a 'spare':
i have long wondered what his opinion is on his relatives who do activities on behalf of the monarchy and who are much further down the line of succession, like the Princess Royal, the Wessexes, the Duke of Kent, P.Alexandra of Kent...
Does he feel they are inferior because they are lower down the line? Does he feel they are wasting their lives because their activities on behalf of the Monarch don't earn them money?

he probably feels that they are wasting their lives, because he thinks poorly of the RF as a family, and probably feels "Why have they agreed to give up their lives to doing tedious duties that they probably dont enjoy, when they could walk out and lead a happier life elsewhere."

Maybe the title is just a big PR teaser, and the book will be much more about his new life (which i agree with Figtree, i hope he really embraces that and lets go of the past if that caused him so much negativity),
but *if* the book indeed is about his feeling inferior about being a 'spare':
i have long wondered what his opinion is on his relatives who do activities on behalf of the monarchy and who are much further down the line of succession, like the Princess Royal, the Wessexes, the Duke of Kent, P.Alexandra of Kent...
Does he feel they are inferior because they are lower down the line? Does he feel they are wasting their lives because their activities on behalf of the Monarch don't earn them money?

These are interesting points that you make, I recall seeing a documentary about the late Queen but I cannot recall if it was her 90th Birthday or for a jubilee but the Duke of Kent is interviewed. They are looking at old footage of the coronation and he speaks about duty, service to the crown and to her personally. That was his role and he accepted it.

There are times he struggles to walk but still there doing what he can. He walked down the aisle behind her coffin. Maybe it is a generational thing.

I just hope Harry has found peace and contentment.

he probably feels that they are wasting their lives, because he thinks poorly of the RF as a family, and probably feels "Why have they agreed to give up their lives to doing tedious duties that they probably dont enjoy, when they could walk out and lead a happier life elsewhere."

The comment when he left about carving out a "progressive new role in this institution" struck me as odd/arrogant at the time. I think you're right & he saw much of what members of the rf do as pointless. I'm not convinced he understood what the monarchy is actually for & how the relatives of the monarch fit in.

And he could have left earlier anyway. He had the money to do what he wanted. The irony of course is that his enormous inheritance derived from public funds anyway if you trace it back to its origins. So being the "spare" certainly didn't impact his wealth.

And this book will make him even more money now of course.

Last edited:
These are interesting points that you make, I recall seeing a documentary about the late Queen but I cannot recall if it was her 90th Birthday or for a jubilee but the Duke of Kent is interviewed. They are looking at old footage of the coronation and he speaks about duty, service to the crown and to her personally. That was his role and he accepted it.

There are times he struggles to walk but still there doing what he can. He walked down the aisle behind her coffin. Maybe it is a generational thing.

I just hope Harry has found peace and contentment.

I remember the one you mean. He mutters "marvellous, marvellous" when watching footage of his family & The Queen leaving for the coronation in the palace forecourt.

I suppose each generation interprets duty in their own way but the fundamental core is that individuals are not the important ones in the monarchy. It's just the monarch because they represent the nation. And the rf are there to support them.

If members of the rf want to be "activists" then the whole system will start to unravel pretty quickly.

I remember the one you mean. He mutters "marvellous, marvellous" when watching footage of his family & The Queen leaving for the coronation in the palace forecourt.

I suppose each generation interprets duty in their own way but the fundamental core is that individuals are not the important ones in the monarchy. It's just the monarch because they represent the nation. And the rf are there to support them.

If members of the rf want to be "activists" then the whole system will start to unravel pretty quickly.

Given that there is Eugenie nearly constantly promoting the work for her charities, all voluntary. This week with the anti salivary work. And to a certain extent Beatrice. I would say it is probably a personality thing. And of course age. As we get older we loose some of that youthful scorn for things we have as we are in our change/revolutionary stage.

Of course all this is contrary to what Harry himself said during The Diamond Queen programming. It’s whether you think he has any self awareness at all.

Given that there is Eugenie nearly constantly promoting the work for her charities, all voluntary. This week with the anti salivary work. And to a certain extent Beatrice. I would say it is probably a personality thing. And of course age. As we get older we loose some of that youthful scorn for things we have as we are in our change/revolutionary stage.

Of course all this is contrary to what Harry himself said during The Diamond Queen programming. It’s whether you think he has any self awareness at all.

They're free to do what they want of course because they don't represent the crown or draw on public funds. They don't use their status for personal financial gain either as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
They're free to do what they want of course because they don't represent the crown or draw on public funds. They don't use their status for personal financial gain either as far as I'm aware.

What Eugenie? Of course not. She uses her position to draw attention to charities. Which is kind of the point.

What Eugenie? Of course not. She uses her position to draw attention to charities. Which is kind of the point.

That's clearly the right way to live your life if you're related to the monarch but not carrying out public duties. So good for her.

This approach is an excellent model for anyone related to the monarch but not "working". Whether they're a "spare" or someone born further down the line of succession.

Only one person can be the heir in each generation. That's kind of the point of monarchy. Harry was only the "spare" for a time because his father was the first born.

I can’t believe that Harry saw the Prince’s Trust, the D of E Award Scheme, Princess Anne’s work with Save The Children etc as pointless, nor his own work with Sentebale and the Invictus Games.

What has he done since leaving that he couldn’t have done as a working Royal, other than moaning? The “spare” is in an excellent position to make a difference. Look at all the work done by George VI when he was Duke of York. Being the spare doesn’t mean that you can’t do anything in your own right.

I can’t believe that Harry saw the Prince’s Trust, the D of E Award Scheme, Princess Anne’s work with Save The Children etc as pointless, nor his own work with Sentebale and the Invictus Games.

What has he done since leaving that he couldn’t have done as a working Royal, other than moaning? The “spare” is in an excellent position to make a difference. Look at all the work done by George VI when he was Duke of York. Being the spare doesn’t mean that you can’t do anything in your own right.

I think Harry has many opinions now, he didn’t have in the past. Harry has done nothing for charities, at all, since leaving the royal family. Giving the odd bit of money and giving speeches isn’t what the royals do to promote them. Invictus Games is run by it’s board. It’s all been the media projects. And a bit of polo to earn money for Sentebale. Which is basically a bit of a social life for him and a way to make new friends.

It’s hardly even Eugenie, a non working royal, who is out promoting anti salivary and listening to peoples stories.

Princess Alexandra started nurse training in 1957 so its not as though no one had the idea to do something different. Although it seems to have been fairly short lived since she was quickly doing royal duties. I guess it was a generation thing that she didn’t kick up a fuss and maybe expected not to ‘work’ in a profession especially once married since it was the general rule at the time.

No I'm sure you're right he didn't but the bread & butter work of the rf is pretty dull stuff. That's what he probably thinks is pointless. Maybe they all do who knows. But they just get on with it and that's what's expected.

The "spares" are free to go if they don't want to do it. They're not martyrs.

And yes I agree being the "spare" is an absolute golden opportunity to lead a fulfilling life.

Princess Alexandra started nurse training in 1957 so its not as though no one had the idea to do something different. Although it seems to have been fairly short lived since she was quickly doing royal duties. I guess it was a generation thing that she didn’t kick up a fuss and maybe expected not to ‘work’ in a profession especially once married since it was the general rule at the time.

Nowadays she would undoubtedly be encouraged to continue nursing & quite right to. We need all the nurses we can get!

I think Harry has many opinions now, he didn’t have in the past. Harry has done nothing for charities, at all, since leaving the royal family. Giving the odd bit of money and giving speeches isn’t what the royals do to promote them. Invictus Games is run by it’s board. It’s all been the media projects. And a bit of polo to earn money for Sentebale. Which is basically a bit of a social life for him and a way to make new friends.

It’s hardly even Eugenie, a non working royal, who is out promoting anti salivary and listening to peoples stories.

The choices you must have if your'e worth all that money! My goodness. Nobody would think any less of him if he just wanted to work quietly somewhere remote on something he loved.

The choices you must have if your'e worth all that money! My goodness. Nobody would think any less of him if he just wanted to work quietly somewhere remote on something he loved.

Was that not the reason that living in Africa was mooted for a while, he has said before he would love to work out there with the endangered species, Possibly not ideal once a family comes along,

I dont think that Alexandra did a full nursing course, it was probalby more a bit of nursing care and may have been done to show the RF identifiying with hospitals and medical charities....

The Books title to me, "Spare" just seems so tawdry and sensationalized. JUST another cheap shot at the Firm and Institution of The Monarchy.

Harry and Megan did NOT get their cherished plan approved of being part time "working royals", so it seems to have been a relentless campaign since then, to diminish, demean and insult the Family. And sadly the whole institution.

Consequences be damned. To family relationships, and to political considerations of Charles lll. AND the UK Peoples cultural tie ins to the Monarchy.
ALL Irrelevant to Harry and Meghan. Payback and elevating their own positions as Game Changers. The ultimate "inside" whistle blowers.

That is what is so horrible about this. It is so much more than a book, Harry's memoir. I see it as an attack on the whole relevance of a Monarchy and Royal Family in these " modern times". A real gift to The UK Republican Movement and those in Commonwealth Countries who want to sever all ties.

I have no doubt that "The Spare" will spare anyone.....Except Diana.

Vindictive, bitter and bomb throwing, and from the Title, it plainly will not just be about Harry. It will be about the hereditary system. So possibly big political overtones. I'm sure the Royal Families in Europe see it as problematic also. They and their Families will be impacted too.

It will be interesting to wonder what Harry and Meghan's children will make of all this 20 years from now ?
Diana was said to have greatly regretted the Panorama Interview. And Charles the same, with the Jonathan Dimbleby Interviews in 1994.

Last edited:
I think Harry has many opinions now, he didn’t have in the past. Harry has done nothing for charities, at all, since leaving the royal family. Giving the odd bit of money and giving speeches isn’t what the royals do to promote them. Invictus Games is run by its board. It’s all been the media projects. And a bit of polo to earn money for Sentebale. Which is basically a bit of a social life for him and a way to make new friends.

Re this book, the title and your very on-point comment, this is a very different state of mind from the one he had years ago. I notice the pattern is visible in both their public lives since he was detached from royal duties: hanging out with celebrities from the Oprah-universe, doing embarrassing TV interviews and engaging in so-called comedy routines that are beneath them (the Ellen December 2020 show) and the need to make millions of dollars selling the image of 'poor me'.

I read the book deal was around 20 million, right? Maybe the title means spare change? Ok, I need that 2nd cup of coffee because I'm going off the rails. I'll try to stay positive and see both sides of the opinions in here just on the cover and title. By the way, is all over the news here in almost identical opinions to us in here.

Last edited:
I agree with Silverpot, the release time has me scratch my head. To put things in perspective: I work in book field as well and we just put a thick historical book in line for November release, although it's been ready and tidy since February. There is a season when you sell thick, biographical and so on books and early in the new year isn't it.

The choice of title is telling, to me. I don't believe it's Harry's choice. There are people dealing with these things and although, techinically, the author might have the final word, you don't want to muddy waters with your publishers, your bread and butter. So, IMO, there's a team who decided that the best way to sell Harry's story is to go "poor little him". The man he has become just isn't this interesting for the readers, I think is their way of reasoning. Same with the photo, although I'm not this sure how much control he has over this. I've had my fair share of authors who make people's lives more difficult over, I'm not kidding you, the form of a drop from this or that candle. It wouldn't be a big deal if the drop candle cover wasn't the sixth version the author disliked, for one reason or another.

So I don't feel the title or photo are as indicative about Harry's feelings as they are to the idea of the publishing house of what sells.

This is my opinion….the Wedge was driven between Prince Harry and his family, the Firm, since birth. He was the Spare and he was reminded of it often. The Spare, as a name for Harry, was used more often (IMO) after his mothers death by the not just the Firm but Staff and Friends too. What if Diana had lived? This may not have been a big of issue. She would have helped Prince Harry through this. Charles was not around very much, not just media reports, but William and Harry has said this also. Not a big help from dear old dad. Not only did Harry have to deal with being the Spare, he had to deal with the rumor of him not being Charles son. Sure he does not look like Charles, nor Diana, nor William but look at Phillip in his younger years as well as other Royal relatives….Prince Harry looks like them. Even a bit of Charles Spencer when he was younger. I am sure Charles had a DNA test done on Prince Harry when he was younger not realizing it was being done. Just to make sure. We will never know. As time went on, Prince Harry found a place for himself in the military. He wanted to make it a career, but was called home by the Firm. The Firm wanted him home but yet it was let known by Charles it would be a slimmed down Firm. Probably remarks were made behind the doors, that there was no place for Harry really. What if the Firm had left Harry alone to make the military a career, things may have been a lot different….no more the Spare behind his brother but a Military Career Man, but then Harry could not be let to “out shine” his brother, William, who could not have a military career, as William was the Heir. William had to do as the Firm said. For years there were three people, William, Kate and Harry. Seemed to work well, but then Harry fell in love…..I believe there was some jealousy on the part of W and K that the threesome was gone….now there were four. Harry saw and found some true love. He grabbed it. He had a chance to be his own man and not a Spare, a Puppet, or to be on call IF the Firm asked him to help out. Meghan is not perfect, no one is but she has taken a lot of hits that are not fair. Harry and Meghan both have. So much comes from media who love to add to or eliminate facts from a story. None of us know the truth as we are were not there. The books Prince Harry has written or is writing is his version of what happened. Of course the Firm will deny a lot, they hide a lot..an awful lot. This may be one time a lot of truth will come out. The Firm is not perfect but that’s what they want all to believe. Prince Harry is telling his history. Remember this is my opinion just like you have yours. I will be reading all three books.

Please remember that "the Firm" had been supporting Prince Harry's desire to have a military career since he was a young man. The Firm was supportive of his decision to attend Sandhurst and receive all the necessary training required to fulfill his wishes. The family members were present at his milestones at that institution too. When the plans for his deployment to Iraq were leaked to the media and he was pulled from that active duty, The Firm were there to assist him in his desire to be in a combat zone by working with the Ministry of Defense to have him stationed in Afghanistan. Britain's Ministry of Defense was never going to permit active combat service for Harry's father and brother, so Harry had an opportunity that they would never see. I'm sure that all involved in assisting Harry to ensure his military career were surprised when he made the decision to decline the necessary desk duty that would ensured his advancement and further his career. However that was solely Harry's personal decision to retire and The Firm again stepped in to support him. Keep in mind too that his late grandmother appointed him with the following honorary military appointments: Commodore in Chief of Small Ships and Diving-2006, Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington-2008, Royal Marine's Captain General- 2017.

Prince Harry could have chosen to remain and gone on to have a very fulfilling military career in his chosen profession, but in the end he was the one who decided to change course.

I'm not sure how Harry could have chosen to continue his military career given he didn't have the kind of academic background or inclination for the desk work he would have been required to do. But that isn't the BRF's decision.

I'm not sure how Harry could have chosen to continue his military career given he didn't have the kind of academic background or inclination for the desk work he would have been required to do. But that isn't the BRF's decision.
Even then, the firm supported him. To be honest, what I hope to find out with this book is what is that the firm and the family did for him to be so angry and to quit. I remember he said in one of the “the me you can’t see” that he was forced to do the Pakistan tour (2015?) and that he was burn out. Yet he stayed two extra weeks to help with the aftermath of some natural disaster.
I hope that we’ll find out some explanation for at least some of the contradictions they’ve let out since leaving.

Even then, the firm supported him. To be honest, what I hope to find out with this book is what is that the firm and the family did for him to be so angry and to quit. I remember he said in one of the “the me you can’t see” that he was forced to do the Pakistan tour (2015?) and that he was burn out. Yet he stayed two extra weeks to help with the aftermath of some natural disaster.
I hope that we’ll find out some explanation for at least some of the contradictions they’ve let out since leaving.
Or is it a case that he found more personal satisfaction in doing the ‘ unofficial help’ after the disaster rather than the handshakes and making small talk. Is this why he wanted a half in half out,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom