"Spare" memoir by the Duke of Sussex (2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting this. It’s good to know. I knew pre-order sales were high.

I have to wonder whether Meghan read this book before it was released.
I'm not sure, based on the excerpts I've seen and the comments here, how she could have thought it was a good idea. Harry I get. He's not too bright and utterly incapable of self-analysis. Meghan, however, should have been able to tell what he was doing to his reputation by saying what he has said.

It's possible that she did and he threw a fit, insisting he was going to do what he wanted.
Or, maybe letting him release the book is an insurance policy of sorts. If the marriage fails, she can just point to the book as evidence as to why.

Just speculation, but it does make me curious.

The Cut interview told me a lot about Meghan and how she doesn’t always get how she’s coming across. That was panned across the board.

Same with her podcasts and telling everyone she’s smart- as one example.

Or Netflix and how self centered- almost across the board- people found them. I can buy Meghan being clueless about how bad this is.

I have thought about this book as a potential insurance policy though. That paints Meghan in a rather dark light- but the thought crossed my mind nevertheless. It’s just such a train wreck of a book. She really didn’t get it AT ALL?

So- IDK. I can argue either way. However- I’m sure she read it- and she blessed the version that was released. I think we know how much Harry values Meghan’s opinion. She read it. I also think she likely helped write it.

Would you give a link to that? I have tried to find it and can't.

After a short YouTube search, I found this re the Investure commemoration:
Unfortunately, it's not the original but I don't have time to search for the one that I saw, which was unedited.

Same with the garden party clip, there are all kinds of edited videos out there about it now, but I'm not going to sort through them all looking for the original. It's a very quick YouTube search for either one if you're curious.

The Sussexes are extremely happily married and nobody in the media, even the British tabloids, has suggested otherwise. Meghan gave birth her first baby before the couple had been married a year, then suffered a miscarriage, then had Lili in under four years of marriage. They both wanted a family. Women who calculatedly marry for reasons other than love do not do that.

Sure they do. Children, especially children that have at least one rich and prominent parent, are financial security for women (and some men as well) who marry for reasons other than love. All you have to do is look at a host of Hollywood marriages, where the alimony and child support runs in the millions of dollars every year, to see it. Not that I'm saying that was Meghan's reason, but when it comes to ambitious potential spouses who want financial security for life, having a couple of kids is certainly part of the equation.

Meghan's largest claim to fame before Harry was as an actress on a B-list television series that a lot of people (myself included) had never heard of before her relationship with Harry went public. I think it's fair to say that she would never have attained the public platform she has now without her royal marriage.

The fact that Harry himself now says that his brain "curates" memories in its own way puts every word that comes out of his mouth in doubt, including just how much or how little Meghan knew about the BRF while they were starting to date.

Because people like gossip. That doesn't make all the readers sympathetic to H&M's cause.

Last edited:
I have finished reading "Spare" and feel ready to share my thoughts. I took copious notes on my Kindle throughout the reading process.

First of all, as many have stated in other reviews, the book is well-crafted. J.R. Moehringer's gift for memoir is apparent. I do not want to state this as fact, but in my opinion, almost any moment in this book where any reflection on Harry's story and its themes and connection to others comes from Moehringer. This does sometimes lead to contradictions. For example, early in the book, Prince Harry makes it clear that he is not a literary person, which is also very widely known. He opens the book with a quote from Faulkner, but not because he'd ever heard of Faulkner- he merely pulled it from "Brainquotes.com" because he liked it. Yet, literary and classical allusions are peppered throughout the book. The owner of the Daily Mail is described as "the impossibly Dickensian-sounding Jonathan Harmsworth, 4th Viscount Rothermere." A bodyguard who has a panic attack next to him in Afghanistan and begins talking about how he knew the deployment was a bad idea is described as "an unappreciated Cassandra" who Harry tells to "stuff a sock in it." At one point, Harry wonders if his newfound attachment to his beard is Freudian "security blanket" or Jungian "Beard as Mask." It stands out because most of the book is so inwardly focused, with very little thought about how others think or feel, and because Harry makes his lack of academic curiosity and accomplishment very plain in several places. I think most of this, as well as musings on how Einstein described light, had to come from Moehringer.

There's also a section where Harry shares how he felt about William getting married in Westminster Abbey. He was quite uncomfortable with the idea of William getting married in the place where they buried their mother, saying he couldn't help thinking about all the bodies buried in the place. He says "Everything in that building spoke of death . It wasn’t just the memories of Mummy’s funeral . More than three thousand bodies lay beneath us , behind us . They were buried under the pews , wedged into the walls . War heroes and poets , scientists and saints , the cream of the Commonwealth . Isaac Newton , Charles Dickens , Chaucer, plus thirteen kings and eighteen queens , they were all interred there . It was still so hard to think of Mummy in the realm of Death . Mummy , who’d danced with Travolta , who’d quarreled with Elton , who’d dazzled the Reagans — could she really be in the Great Beyond with the spirits of Newton and Chaucer ?" Later, when he visits a Mayan temple. he thinks of it as temple of death, a "Mayan Westminster Abbey." Yet, when the time comes for him to marry Meghan, Westminster Abbey is his first choice of venue and he feels slighted that they are denied it. I found it interesting that the contradiction is there and no real exploration of why. Additionally, the timeline in this section gets incredibly fuzzy. Harry describes frustration at the palace dragging their feet to confirm the details of when and where the wedding will take place. This is not supported by the historical record. Their engagement was announced November 27,2017. The wedding date and venue was announced just 18 days later. This does not seem like an unusual length of time to confirm something this logistically complex.

I found the first two sections more interesting and illuminating than the third, though the press has focused mostly on the gossip contained in the third section.

The first section deals with Harry's childhood and his reaction to Diana's death. It would be hard to read this section without some empathy for the 12 year old Harry, no matter how exasperated one is with 38 year old Harry. He's clearly lost, and he struggles to recognize when adults are trying to help him. For example, the history teacher at Ludgrove who he feels is bullying him for not understanding his family history actually comes off as extremely kind- even giving Harry a present of a ruler full of rulers- a ruler that had every King and Queen from the Norman Conquest all the way to his Granny. This section also contains the very jarring section about the matron who was not sexually arousing, which has been shared here already. It contains an additional note that wasn't unkind but was thoughtless, when it describes a teacher who uses a wheelchair as "confined to a wheelchair" and frames the story primarily around what a pain it was for the students to help him in and out of the classroom. Even if this what he thought as a young boy, one would hope that years of working with disabled veterans had taught him more about disability awareness then he shows here.

The second section deals with his time in the Army. I went into this section believing the media had been a bit unfair to Harry in characterizing the disclosure of his number of kills as a reckless threat to his own and national security. I walked away aligned with the military experts who have spoken out and deemed it unwise. There are a few reasons for this. One, Harry describes a training exercise and how he absorbed it here: "We were a Christian army, fighting a militia sympathetic to Muslims . Our mission : Evade the enemy, escape the forbidding terrain." I think framing anything having to do with that war as a Holy War of Christians v. Muslims was inappropriate, given the religious diversity of the United Kingdom and the fact that this was a very politically insensitive take. Second, he describes an evolution of the Taliban's tactics observed during his second tour. He says "They’d got better at hiding too. They could effortlessly melt into a village, blend into the civilian population, or vaporize into their network of tunnels. They didn’t run away—it was far more diffuse than that, more mystical." Even given his extensive descriptions of how permission to fire was granted, I think this leaves him far too open to accusations that some of those killed were civilians rather than militants. It may not be fair, but that is how it will be used as propaganda. Third, he describes the weapon he handled as something difficult for most people to handle but not him. He is very proud of his abilities here, and likens it to throwing darts at a pub. The follow up sentence describes the carnage by saying "That’s what the flechette was , in fact , a lethal burst of eighty 5 - inch tungsten darts . I remembered in Garmsir hearing about our forces having to pick pieces of Taliban guys out of trees after a direct hit from flechette." I would think that the description here would be easy to use as propaganda- both the part where he compares it to throwing darts, and the ease with which he relates how it ripped apart bodies.

The military section was probably the most engaging, but also left the most questions about Harry's state of mind.

The third section describes his major mental health challenges when he comes out of the military. He makes it clear that he has PTSD, but he also doesn't believe its onset was from his tour of duty. He believes the onset was Diana's death and frequently blames the press for triggering it. I have a lot of sympathy for what he went through here, while I think his outlook is very narrow and actually takes him away from relating to other soldiers as much as he might have. He seems to believe his PTSD experience is separate and unique from theirs and I think it has probably made it harder for him to find community and help.

Then he meets Meghan. It is extremely jarring to go from reading about this man who is an absolute mess one moment to a fully realized individual making clear eyed decisions about his future the next. You walk away believing that he's deified Meghan in ways similar to the ways he deified his mother and wondering if it was good for either of them. Their relationship moved at lighting speed- from instagram messages to text, to a first date, a second date the next night, and the immediate decision that they were in a relationship. You very much get the sense that he was beyond ready to be married and settled down and that when he decided Meghan was THE ONE any doubts were very quickly chased away and any person who cautioned him to go slowly and think through his plans was viewed as hostile to her and therefore to him.

He describes what happened to them within the family as a slow-rolling catastrophe, but the reader will be left wondering if it really was? It was fast, and the primary catalyst for how quickly things moved were the two of them. At one stage, Harry views nearly any bureaucratic delay as a deliberate obstacle to his happiness.

Finally, my biggest impression: if Harry was ever going to tell his story in a way that reflected back on his own actions, this was the chance. It was a book written over a period of years, with the help of an expert writer. It was 400 pages of his story. Yet, there is not a moment in this book where he looks at any of his own actions and says "I shouldn't have done that" or "I could have been kinder/better here" or "Maybe I should have asked my brother what he meant when he said that getting married this soon would be hard on me." He's incredibly angry, but since he can't allow himself to be angry at either Meghan or himself, it is almost all deflected onto his brother.

HRHHermione, thank you for sharing your well considered review.
It is a thought provoking analysis.
I have the opinion that Harry seems quite numb telling his story to the World. Very matter-of-fact and get on with it; to make money.
Does he know how to live within his means? He may wish to splurge on Meghan and his family; keeping them safe in a way that will force him into sequels.
Does Harry have the capacity to be self reflective?

Last edited:
Well, the proof of the pudding as to whether Meghan truly loved Harry when she married him or whether she acted the part for wealth, position, fame or whatever will be whether the marriage lasts, won’t it?

And as of now mid Jan the couple’s fifth wedding anniversary is in May. Two children later, living together in California and still going strong together. No reports of arguments or breakups.

I think they do love each other very much and are both dedicated to nurturing their children within a stable, loving home but initially Meghan could have been dazzled by his position and everything that could mean for catapulting her profile into a global superstar. If Harry had been an unknown army captain, would she have fallen so head over heels for him so fast? Maybe she doesn't even know that herself.

There's one more piece I wanted to cover that the media hasn't picked up on that I found interesting. When Harry and Meghan were still dating and not yet engaged, Meghan spent Thanksgiving in a house belonging to Harry's friend in the U.S. and her mother and father spent Thanksgiving there.

Harry says: "Better yet, her mother and father had been able to sneak in and spend Thanksgiving with her. Her father had brought an armful of tabloids, however, which he inexplicably wanted to talk about. That didn’t go well, and he’d ended up leaving early."

Then, later in the book, Thomas Markle is referred to as a complicated man and Meghan expresses fears related to him. Harry says "In every way, Meg felt, her father would never be able to withstand the psychological pressures that come with being stalked by the press, and that was now happening to him."

To me, this is contradictory. It seems that Thomas Markle may have had concerns or fears or questions early on and that these were dismissed, despite Meghan's knowledge that her father would be vulnerable. That feels like a huge missed opportunity to have frank conversations with her parents and listen to their fears and talk about how to mitigate those. It's not reflected on that way, but that's how it seems to me. It seems like a mistake made by Harry and Meghan that had repercussions down the road.

I think they do love each other very much and are both dedicated to nurturing their children within a stable, loving home but initially Meghan could have been dazzled by his position and everything that could mean for catapulting her profile into a global superstar. If Harry had been an unknown army captain, would she have fallen so head over heels for him so fast? Maybe she doesn't even know that herself.

I’m not going to get into how they feel, but I don’t think there would have been a 1st date, much less a chance to fall in love, if Harry had just been an unknown Army captain without real money.

Meghan is ambitious. I hate to put this in stark terms-but I could see her see dating someone “average” (not my opinion) like an unknown army capital with no real money or prospects of any, as a step down. She wanted money, fame, and to get to tell her story. Those are her own words that she made a point of telling us on Netflix. That is what she wanted as a kid. She got it.

Last edited:

Doesn’t mean anything really; certainly doesn’t mean it’s a good book. Reminds me of back in the 80s when Vienna by Ultravox was kept off the number one spot by Shaddup Your Face by Joe Dolce. A record (or book) that sells more than another one doesn’t automatically mean it’s better, often quite the reverse!

I suspect a fair number of people who buy it will on reflection regret putting money into H and M’s pockets which is the main reason it was written in the first place.

I’m extremely grateful to HRH Hermione for reading and reviewing the book. I value both their commitment to the task and their insight. Especially as I would rather flush the money down the lavatory then buy it myself :D

What I will actually do is donate £28 to a deserving charity close to my heart instead.

Last edited:
First of all, as many have stated in other reviews, the book is well-crafted. J.R. Moehringer's gift for memoir is apparent. I do not want to state this as fact, but in my opinion, almost any moment in this book where any reflection on Harry's story and its themes and connection to others comes from Moehringer.

Another thing that I will attribute to JRM is that even though this is a Harry memoir in Harry's POV, but in many points I can feel William's frustration and desperation to make Harry see reasons despite him being cast as the villain of the story and how lost Harry was/is.

There's also a section where Harry shares how he felt about William getting married in Westminster Abbey. He was quite uncomfortable with the idea of William getting married in the place where they buried their mother, saying he couldn't help thinking about all the bodies buried in the place. (...) I found it interesting that the contradiction is there and no real exploration of why. Additionally, the timeline in this section gets incredibly fuzzy. Harry describes frustration at the palace dragging their feet to confirm the details of when and where the wedding will take place. This is not supported by the historical record. Their engagement was announced November 27,2017. The wedding date and venue was announced just 18 days later. This does not seem like an unusual length of time to confirm something this logistically complex.
This section also made me frown when I read it, having reading the extract about his conversation with his brother about wedding venue. Or maybe it can be explained with after almost a decade, he changed his mind about the Abbey. (though no such explanation in the book).

The first section deals with Harry's childhood and his reaction to Diana's death. It would be hard to read this section without some empathy for the 12 year old Harry, no matter how exasperated one is with 38 year old Harry. He's clearly lost, and he struggles to recognize when adults are trying to help him. For example, the history teacher at Ludgrove who he feels is bullying him for not understanding his family history actually comes off as extremely kind- even giving Harry a present of a ruler full of rulers- a ruler that had every King and Queen from the Norman Conquest all the way to his Granny. This section also contains the very jarring section about the matron who was not sexually arousing, which has been shared here already. It contains an additional note that wasn't unkind but was thoughtless, when it describes a teacher who uses a wheelchair as "confined to a wheelchair" and frames the story primarily around what a pain it was for the students to help him in and out of the classroom. Even if this what he thought as a young boy, one would hope that years of working with disabled veterans had taught him more about disability awareness then he shows here.

Agree. Another thing that I'd like to add is how many stories then tied into tabloid headlines. Does it mean that his "addiction" towards reading tabloid story about him started early or he's so obsessed to the point of tracking past tabloid headlines about him when he's adult? Either way, I find it unhealthy and he should stop it soon.

There's also story where he shaved his hair in Eton and everyone (including his brother) laughed at him. I found this will be a good place for a bit self-reflection/introspection with him as a mid-30s man reminiscing those incident, "hey, I felt hurt when everyone laugh at me back then. I feel bad that I did the similar to Pat" or something like that. But nope, nothing, no remorse.

The military section was probably the most engaging, but also left the most questions about Harry's state of mind.

Agree, though I'd prefer if they delete all those references of his nether region. Why the world need to know about "cock cushion"? TMI, Harold.
And are you really that petty that your proudest moment in Sandhurst was when your brother has to salute to you? Wow, talk about deep sibling grudge.

The third section describes his major mental health challenges when he comes out of the military. He makes it clear that he has PTSD, but he also doesn't believe its onset was from his tour of duty. He believes the onset was Diana's death and frequently blames the press for triggering it. I have a lot of sympathy for what he went through here, while I think his outlook is very narrow and actually takes him away from relating to other soldiers as much as he might have. He seems to believe his PTSD experience is separate and unique from theirs and I think it has probably made it harder for him to find community and help.

Then he meets Meghan. It is extremely jarring to go from reading about this man who is an absolute mess one moment to a fully realized individual making clear eyed decisions about his future the next. You walk away believing that he's deified Meghan in ways similar to the ways he deified his mother and wondering if it was good for either of them. Their relationship moved at lighting speed- from instagram messages to text, to a first date, a second date the next night, and the immediate decision that they were in a relationship. You very much get the sense that he was beyond ready to be married and settled down and that when he decided Meghan was THE ONE any doubts were very quickly chased away and any person who cautioned him to go slowly and think through his plans was viewed as hostile to her and therefore to him.

He describes what happened to them within the family as a slow-rolling catastrophe, but the reader will be left wondering if it really was? It was fast, and the primary catalyst for how quickly things moved were the two of them. At one stage, Harry views nearly any bureaucratic delay as a deliberate obstacle to his happiness.

Finally, my biggest impression: if Harry was ever going to tell his story in a way that reflected back on his own actions, this was the chance. It was a book written over a period of years, with the help of an expert writer. It was 400 pages of his story. Yet, there is not a moment in this book where he looks at any of his own actions and says "I shouldn't have done that" or "I could have been kinder/better here" or "Maybe I should have asked my brother what he meant when he said that getting married this soon would be hard on me." He's incredibly angry, but since he can't allow himself to be angry at either Meghan or himself, it is almost all deflected onto his brother.

Again, I agree.
I must confess that at best, I only skimmed most of this part. But for the point about the speed of their relationship, in part 2 around W's wedding, Harry lamented how his desire of becoming young father and that he thought that he'd marry before William. So I'll say it (whirlwind long distance relationship, baby soon after, lack of royal life preparation for Meghan) is on Harry. I can see that there's might be a desperation there on Harry's part (entering mid-30s vs his vision of young father, younger than his own father so he can spend more time with his children/become better father than his own father).

My overall impression, Harry is clearly lost, nothing the BRF can do other than let him go and wait. He has to find his way on his own, it has to come from himself. As mentioned in the book, it's not just his family who upset with Oprah interview, even Tiggy couldn't get through his conviction.

And it’s interesting to note that in the first half, Harry talks about how boring he finds studying royal history and government and how he doesn’t retain any of it.

There’s no connection made between that and how ignorant he was of protocol when it came time for him to be married, but it stood out to me. He also comes off as very incurious about other people’s experiences and perceptions and you don’t get the impression he asked anyone questions.
I remember Diana saying that she herself was as “thick as a plank” and that Harry was like her. It sounds like he just relied on others to take care of things and didn’t give the details much, if any, thought.

Thank you, too, for reading the entire book and for giving such a great summary with your insights:flowers:

The Sussexes' defender would argue to see the context that this is him try to show his internal conflict (or in Harry's word on the last interview: to help reducing suicide amongst the veterans). And TBF, I've never read any other war veteran's memoir so I can't say whether telling something like this is Harry or common in veteran's memoir (as many Sussexes defenders argue in social media). And if there's anyone who look worse than Harry in this section of story, it's British Army or even NATO/western arm forces.

Without entering into a discussion on the morality of (any) war, there is an obvious difference between a "legitimate" kill in a combat situation and a war crime. Some veterans' memoirs describe kills and casualties/fatalities in gruesome terms (as one would expect kills to be with modern projectile and explosive weapons), but that is done in the context of describing the details of a battle or an incident where killing is expected as part of a soldier's duty, or even merely self-defense. As I said, I did not read Harry's book, but the excerpts I saw, where he trivializes kills as "throwing darts in a pub" or "knocking out chess pieces", are something that, in my limited experience, is not common in veterans' memoirs, and I can't see either how that kind of narrative might contribute to reducing veterans' suicides as Harry is claiming. If the British Army looks bad in Harry's memoir, that is because Harry, a British officer himself, is portraying the Army in a negative light, even implying possible war crimes.

On the other hand, Harry's assertion that he was part of a "Christian army" fighting a Muslim militia is a distortion of the truth. Neither the UK, nor the US, Canada, Australia, or any other Western country that fought in Afghanistan is a theocratic state and the conflict was not religiously motivated. The Coalition did not seek to impose Christianity in Afghanistan, nor suppress Islam, And there are also Muslim soldiers and Muslim chaplains in the British Army. So why would Harry make a statement which is a well-known Taliban talking point, when that statement is completely misleading? I sincerely hope that those words did not come from Harry, but were actually something the ghostwriter came up with for political reasons.

Last edited:
If this has not yet been mentioned…

I wonder how the firm’s motto, ‘Never apologize, never explain’, has hurt this family’s ability to remain close? If Charles never made amends to his sons for abandoning their mother; if Camilla never expressed regret for the heartaches she had caused; if the brothers never begged forgiveness for their offenses to one another…No wonder all are at an impasse.

I’m pretty sure most families have serious disagreements from time to time. Mine certainly has, but we have made amends and apologized when we could, and we haven’t continued to carry a big ol’ bag of grievances and hurt feelings with us through life; we still speak, and visit, and enjoy each other’s company. Maybe the counseling which Harry and Meghan suggested would have been a good place to start.

I thought this article gave a good look at what the 3 men Harry called such disparaging and childish nicknames in his book really do. And don’t do. And how they HELPED him.

It also provided some additional quotes by him about these men, which were dreadful. To say Harry is immature is a gross understatement imo- I just don’t know what other word there is.

Note to Harry: TQ made the decision that HIHO didn’t work .

https://news.yahoo.com/prince-harry-really-owes-bee-200714806.html

Last edited:
Agree. Another thing that I'd like to add is how many stories then tied into tabloid headlines. Does it mean that his "addiction" towards reading tabloid story about him started early or he's so obsessed to the point of tracking past tabloid headlines about him when he's adult? Either way, I find it unhealthy and he should stop it soon.

This is one of the biggest take aways from the book. Harry has been obsessively tracking his own press for a long time. He has feelings about specific reporters and photographers and thoughts about them. He remembers things they said decades ago even when the thing wasn't harmless in and of itself. Multiple people tried to talk to him about this, from a therapist who told him he was addicted to it and to his father and brother who told him many times to stop reading the press. He says that they are hypocrites since they read the press themselves, but they don't seem as unbearably haunted by it.

I wonder how the firm’s motto, ‘Never apologize, never explain’, has hurt this family’s ability to remain close? If Charles never made amends to his sons for abandoning their mother; if Camilla never expressed regret for the heartaches she had caused; if the brothers never begged forgiveness for their offenses to one another…No wonder all are at an impasse.

I’m pretty sure most families have serious disagreements from time to time. Mine certainly has, but we have made amends and apologized when we could, and we haven’t continued to carry a big ol’ bag of grievances and hurt feelings with us through life; we still speak, and visit, and enjoy each other’s company. Maybe the counseling which Harry and Meghan suggested would have been a good place to start.

The family motto aplies to public relations, not to family ones as far as I can tell.

I thought this article gave a good look at what the 3 men Harry called such disparaging and childish nicknames in his book really do. And don’t do. And how they HELPED him.

It also provided some additional quotes by him about these men, which were dreadful. To say Harry is immature is a gross understatement imo- I just don’t know what other word there is.

This is a really excellent article and I think that's the point that the book glossed over: the commercial interests the Sussexes were pursuing. No one with any historical knowledge of the monarchy thought that was in any way workable as a plan, and it wasn't an attack on Harry.

And did Sir Edward ‘advise’ the Queen that her diary was so full up that she couldn’t spare any time for Harry when he rang her up and asked to see her? She had agreed to see him straight away on the phone but somehow ‘forgot’ the week or two’s engagements that had been pencilled in when he questioned her later on it.

This is a really excellent article and I think that's the point that the book glossed over: the commercial interests the Sussexes were pursuing. No one with any historical knowledge of the monarchy thought that was in any way workable as a plan, and it wasn't an attack on Harry.

My understanding that the Kents, Michael and wife, do a few engagements here and there, while also pursuing their commercial interests.

Without entering into a discussion on the morality of (any) war, there is an obvious difference between a "legitimate" kill in a combat situation and a war crime. Some veterans' memoirs describe kills and casualties/fatalities in gruesome terms (as one would expect kills to be with modern projectile and incendiary explosive weapons), but that is done in the context of describing the details of a battle or an incident. As I said, I did not read Harry's book, but the excerpts I saw, where he trivializes kills as "throwing darts in a pub" or "knocking out chess pieces", are something that, in my limited experience, is not common in veterans' memoirs, and I can't see either how that kind of narrative might contribute to reducing veterans' suicides as Harry is claiming. If the British Army looks bad in Harry's memoir, that is because Harry, a British officer himself, is portraying the Army in a negative light, even implying possible war crimes.

On the other hand, Harry's assertion that he was part of a "Christian army" fighting a Muslim militia is a distortion of the truth. Neither the UK, nor the US, Canada, Australia, or any other Western country that fought in Afghanistan is a theocratic state and the conflict was not religiously motivated. The Coalition did not seek to impose Christianity in Afghanistan, nor suppress Islam, And there are also Muslim soldiers and Muslim chaplains in the British Army. So why would Harry make a statement which is a well-known Taliban talking point, when that statement is completely misleading? I sincerely hope that those words did not come from Harry, but were actually something the ghostwriter came up with for political reasons.

Many veterans feel shame for the things they did in the war. Therefore, they don’t discuss these things, even when it would be beneficial to their emotional health. The secrets they think no one would ever understand are the secrets that eat away at people, and that can lead to suicides.

I have never been in the military and I don’t have any personal experience with this phenomena, but when a veteran says it can help someone who is suffering, I tend to pay attention.

My understanding that the Kents, Michael and wife, do a few engagements here and there, while also pursuing their commercial interests.

Those interests involved private financial and consulting work. The Sussexes were pursuing branding and media deals. They aren't the same type of businesses. Prince Michael of Kent is also quite a low key member of the family whereas Harry was the son of the future king.

A more apt comparison is Sophie Wessex, who tried to keep her PR firm partnership that predated her marriage. It became clear how unsustainable this was when an entrapment scheme was run to show that her commercial interests might be at odds with her royal role. The Sussexes would have been a more high-profile version of the same.

Those interests involved private financial and consulting work. The Sussexes were pursuing branding and media deals. They aren't the same type of businesses. Prince Michael of Kent is also quite a low key member of the family whereas Harry was the son of the future king.

A more apt comparison is Sophie Wessex, who tried to keep her PR firm partnership that predated her marriage. It became clear how unsustainable this was when an entrapment scheme was run to show that her commercial interests might be at odds with her royal role. The Sussexes would have been a more high-profile version of the same.

Prince Michael has also gotten in hot water for his Russian involvements which might not coincide with his retirement and the Princess's being imminent.

And did Sir Edward ‘advise’ the Queen that her diary was so full up that she couldn’t spare any time for Harry when he rang her up and asked to see her? She had agreed to see him straight away on the phone but somehow ‘forgot’ the week or two’s engagements that had been pencilled in when he questioned her later on it.

Pfffft. By Harry's own admission, his memory does not necessarily align with "so-called objective facts", so how can we take him at his word that the Queen did agree to a meeting?

Prince Michael has also gotten in hot water for his Russian involvements which might not coincide with his retirement and the Princess's being imminent.

This is a good point. Prince Andrew's scandals also related to pursuing outside sources of funding. It's a long term problem that's going to require creativity to solve.

This is a good point. Prince Andrew's scandals also related to pursuing outside sources of funding. It's a long term problem that's going to require creativity to solve.

This I agree with. The children of the monarch should have the freedom to choose their own careers, and the support to do so.

This I agree with. The children of the monarch should have the freedom to choose their own careers, and the support to do so.

And all of the perks and privileges while either doing none of the work or getting money from any shady outside contributor?

I'm pretty sure Andrew proved just how bad an idea "freedom and support" was.

This makes it seem like “spares” are effectively barred from private lives. I hope Charlotte and Louis are good with their careers being dictated to them.

Anne and Edward have done just fine. Andrew, not so much, and now he's been barred from public service, as he should have been.

This is not my opinion, or at least it’s a drastically simplified version of my opinion. I think that commercial careers are inherently at odds with a taxpayer funded monarchy. I think it can be workable for minor royals, and that it’s even easier for family members who do not have titles. I always think Princess Anne was quite forward thinking in seeing that before anyone else did. I also think Edward and Sophie see it.

I think in the future, it’s very possible that children will decide after university or military service if they wish to do royal service (given need for it) or if they wish to renounce their titles and enter a private career. I do not think there will ever be a time when a royal title in the U.K. comfortably coexists with commercial interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom