Sex, Godparents and Duchy for Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia's Fourth child

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biri

Imperial Majesty
City
Warsaw
Country
Poland
Now with the happy announcement just made, we can start our speculation!

Boy: Erik Paul Mikael
Girl: Kristina Agneta Frida
Godparents: Victor Magnusson, Sofia's female cousin, two friends
Duchy: Jamtland

Last edited:
Prince Vincent Gustaf Andreas
Princess Lilian Silvia Marie

Duke/Duchess of Närke

Godparents: Oscar Magnuson, Prince Manuel of Bavaria, Hanna Nygren, Tiara Larson, 2 further friends

As Carl Philip and Sofia have chosen 'non-traditional' Swedish names, instead decided going for international names for their three sons, I doubt Erik and Kristina will be given as a first names for their fourth child. Their choice will be in line with the boys' names.

As for duchy, the King is still Duke of Jämtland. Possibly Närke or Västmanland, I would love to see Bohuslän or Dalsland, but as those "landskap" are today part of "Region Västra Götaland", and as a large part of that region is Västergötland, Victoria's duchy, I doubt they will be chosen.

Victor Magnuson is Alexander's godfather already.

Alexander's godparents: Crown Princess Victoria, Lina Hellqvist, Victor Magnuson, Jan-Åke Hansson, Cajsa Larsson
Gabriel's godparents: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, Oscar Kylberg, Carolina Pihl, Thomas de Toledo Sommerlath
Julian's godparents: Johan Andersson, Stina Andersson, Jacob Högfeldt, Patrick Sommerlath, Frida Vesterberg

Last edited:
I think their style will go the same way the other boys went, international and common (or at least familiar).
Boys: William, Oliver, Lucas, Elias, Noah
Girls: Lilly (after princess Lilian), Astrid, Nora, Maya (or Maja), Isabella, Emma, Amelia, Alice (bonus: family name)
For the duchy, I'm thinking Närke.
No idea for godparents but I still hope Daniel will finally get his first Royal godchild.

Last edited:
Girl: Sílvia, Marie, Lilian
Boy: Gustav, Erik, Oliver

I have no idea who the godparents might be. But maybe Daniel is one of the godparents.

I think it will be a non-traditional spoken name followed by a couple of family names… That would follow how they named Alexander, Gabriel and Julian…

As for Duchy, i hope Norrbotten finally gets its first Duke or Duchess…. Southern Sweden have already lots of royal Duke’s and Duchess’…

As for godparents, i think it will be 5 or 6 family friends… I don’t dare to guess any names but i strongly doubt that Prince Daniel will be asked…. That would leave Prince Julian as their only child with no royal godparent (but with a very dubious one in Patrick Sommerlath)

If it’s a girl I would like if they named her Alice after Queen Silvia’s mother Alice Sommerlath.

Girl: Lilian, Sibylla, Alice or Silvia
Boy: Gustav, Bertil, Walther (after CP's maternal grandpa) or Erik

Duchy: Västerbotten

Godparents: Prince Daniel, Victor Magnuson, Patrick Sommerlath, one of Sofia's friends, Princess Madeleine, Frida Vesterberg or Lina Hellqvist

I am thinking Victoria or Silvia will be one of the names if its a girl.
If its a boy it will be another trendy name. I love the names they have chosen for their boys!
I hope Daniel is chosen as a Godparent.

My predictions for:

The name:
Prince: Liam, Adrian, Theodore, Sebastian, Michael
Princess: Isabella, Lilian, Elena, Valentina

The duchy assigned by the King:
For a boy: Västerbotten (the duchy of the King's late father).
For a girl: Medelpad (or another never-before-used duchy, like Princess Madeleine's children).

The godparents: Non-royal family and friends.

Predictions for:

Boy Name - Xavier, Felix, Benjamin, Oliver, Theodore
Girl Name - Olivia, Violet, Ava, Carolina, Amelia

I think it’ll be a girl and she’ll definitely have Lillian as part of her name (maybe not first name). And I do think Prince Daniel will have his first Royal god child

Girl: Lilian, Sibylla, Alice or Silvia
Boy: Gustav, Bertil, Walther (after CP's maternal grandpa) or Erik

Duchy: Västerbotten

Godparents: Prince Daniel, Victor Magnuson, Patrick Sommerlath, one of Sofia's friends, Princess Madeleine, Frida Vesterberg or Lina Hellqvist
I could put Edmund too, in memory of Carl Philip's paternal grandpa

I agree with many of you that they will likely pick a name along the same lines as the previous three. So, let's take a look at their full names (and duchies):

Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil (Södermanland)
Gabriel Carl Walther (Dalarna)
Julian Herbert Folke (Halland)

Godparents:
Alexander: Crown Princess Victoria, Lina Hellqvist, Victor Magnuson, Jan-Åke Hansson, Cajsa Larsson (2 sisters; a cousin and 2 friends)
Gabriel: Princess Madeleine, Sara Hellqvist, Oscar Kylberg, Carolina Pihl, Thomas de Toledo Sommerlath (2 sisters, 2 friends and a cousin?)
Julian: Johan Andersson, Stina Andersson, Jacob Högfeldt, Patrick Sommerlath, Frida Vesterberg (all friends and a cousin)

Fourth child:
Son: Oliver Philip Gustaf - Duke of Västerbotten
Daugther: Alice Silvia Marie - Duchess of Medelpad

Thanks to IloveCP for the 'Alice' suggestion! For the duchies I picked a duchy that has been used before (for the king's parents!) for a son and not-previously used one for a daughter (looks like I had the same reasoning as Tatiana Maria and even ended on the exact same duchies).

Potential godparents: 2 cousins (one by CP, for example Oscar or Gustaf Magnuson, and one by Sofia, for example Lena Rotman) and 3 friends.

Since they have followed a trend this long don't see breaking.

Unconventional for Swedish royal but popular (though like Julian maybe not super) first followed by 2 family. Nor do I see them repeating names like Bertil,Erik, Walther etc

Prince August Edmund Janne- Popular, King's father, Sofia's maternal grandfather
-Hugo, Elias other popular options I could see
-alternatively to using family name from Sofia's side could use name of a godfather as royals often do

Princess Alice Renate Britt- Alice popular and CP's grandmother, and the 2 grandmas
If a girl I'd be shocked if both grandmothers are not honored in her name

Godparents: family and friends. Maybe since they have already used 2 Sommerlaths and a Magnuson say:

James Ambler (Margaretha's son)
Baroness Christina Louise (Desiree's daughter)
Lena Rottman
Mikael Skog- with Jan-Ake who is already Alexanders, one of CP's oldest friends
Madeleine Rahm Egnell

For a boy: Tobias, Stefan or Alfred

For a girl: Eloise, Louisa or Isabel

It would be lovely to see Prince Daniel as a godparent to one of his nieces/nephews.

I'm hoping its a Princess but they seem to have dispensed with traditional Swedish royal names so anything is possible.

As the birth is expected in February, If a boy, i wouldn’t mind if they choose the name Rickard 🤪 Our name day is 7:th February in Sweden..

For a daughter maybe Ingrid… Both after Sofias late grandmother and Carl Philips late great aunt…

Maybe ”Ingrid Marie Silvia”

For a girl: Lovisa Renate Marie
For a boy: Lucas Philip Gustav
Johan Philip Gustav

Possible names.

Girl: Vera, Leah, Ella, Alice, Elsa, Lilly, Olivia, Ester, Alicia, Mila or Iris.
Boy: Liam, Noah, Hugo, Oliver, Lucas, Matteo, Elias, Theo, Charlie, Isak or Axel.

Went to see a list of the current popular Swedish names and chose a few.

I have no clue about the duchies. As for the godparents, I think it will be like Julian, friends and cousins as godparents.

Question to anyone familiar with the Scandinavian traditions, how are titles assigned to new members of the royal and extended family? I read above that one town has never been assigned as a duchy and this would be great to assign it to the new member of the family. Is there like a waiting list of towns or areas to be used, given new (?) coats of arms, etc. when a new prince is born?

Question to anyone familiar with the Scandinavian traditions, how are titles assigned to new members of the royal and extended family? I read above that one town has never been assigned as a duchy and this would be great to assign it to the new member of the family. Is there like a waiting list of towns or areas to be used, given new (?) coats of arms, etc. when a new prince is born?
There is a list of traditional landskaps (provinces) that may be used for duchies. See this wikipedia-entry that lists all 25 of them: Provinces of Sweden - Wikipedia

My guesses for girls:

Alice
Lilian
Olivia
Elsa
Josephine
Louise
Ingrid

Back
Top Bottom