Royals Who Are Competing in Olympics 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I definitely agree that Catherine and William would have been the centre of attention, but for this occasion I wouldn't have thought that would have mattered. We'll at least apparently see them today.

There's a delay in the competition at the cross country, and I'm hearing that the riders will be starting 30 minutes later than planned. Zara's new start time is 1536 GMT.

Full house of royals watching Zara as the competition restarts.

After 27 riders Mary King GBR is leading, Zara is due to ride at 15:45.

Zara might be delayed further due to another accident on course, Canadian rider fell on a jump.

Last edited:
Good luck to her!!!

Inside the time!!!!
9:45 was the final time I believe, GBR still in the lead.

Last edited:
Great ride in under the time allowed putting her in a tie for 4th right now.

Zara is only one of four to go through the cross country without occurring a penalty so far. Great effort - you could tell she was pleased, fist pumping the air after the final jump.

0 pen. Congrats ZARA :fireworks:
She was amazing!!! :flowers:

Great achievement! :)
If I understand correctly, Team GB has pretty high chances of team gold, and Zara has reasonably good chances of individual medal as well.

That was a fantastic ride for Zara and High Kingdom. It's even more amazing when consider how many riders and horses have fallen or had difficulty with jumps.

Zara did very well, I am so pleased for her and I hope Team GB do well at these Olympics! She is being interviewed by the BBC right now, she reminds me so much of her mother, not just physically. I wish her all the best!

How many Olympic medals did her father win?

Zara's Royal fan club: The Duchess of Cambridge joins William, Harry, Camilla, Eugenia and Beatrice to cheer on Zara Phillips
Yesterday Zara Phillips completed her Olympic debut under the watchful gaze of her mother Princess Anne and grandfather the Duke of Edinburgh. And today the 31-year-old's Royal fan base was growing as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Harry, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie all arrived at the Greenwich venue to support their cousin in the cross-country event. Dressed down in a simple navy blazer and chinos and white shirt, Kate made sure all eyes were on the event and not her wardrobe as she took her seat.

Team GB now in 1st and Zara in 5th as an individual.

I do HATE the media. I am pleased than an article has been written regarding Zara's participation, yet the main title of the article is about Catherine, and of course it in cludes what she is wearing. Do not get me wrong, I am a HUGE British Royal Family fan, but I am getting a bit sick of reading about Catherine's fashion.

"
Dressed down in a simple navy blazer and chinos and white shirt"

The DM obviously forgot to note that Beatrice and Eugenie are also wearing blazers....

Good to see GB in 1st. When does the Equestrian competition finish?

Papers need to sell and Catherine sells. Nobody really knows who Zara is.

I don't think there's much chance of a GB gold medal here, the Germans are pretty much considered certs for that.

Zara did really well today, huge support for her all along the course from the big crowds. She looked really thrilled at the end, as did her family in the stand!

Papers need to sell and Catherine sells. Nobody really knows who Zara is.

I would disagree with that, a lot of people know how Zara is. She is more famous than her brother due to her Equestrian. Catherine, however, does sell papers. It just bothers me how the focus is ALWAYS on what she is wearing.

I would disagree with that, a lot of people know how Zara is. She is more famous than her brother due to her Equestrian. Catherine, however, does sell papers. It just bothers me how the focus is ALWAYS on what she is wearing.
The thing is, there isn't anything else about Kate to comment on at the moment, is there?
She wasn't there in official capacity - just supporting a cousin. They could hardly write about her charities or patronages, or anything along the line.

What the article should have been about was Zara and her achievements, and not Kate at all.

Last edited:
I'm so pleased for Zara. I wish her well in the next rounds.

In fairness, though, what can Kate do about that? She gets ripped to shreds, and called all sorts of awful names, in the fashion thread here for being boring, and dressing too old, blah blah blah. She's doing her best to NOT dress for headlines, but it doesn't make any difference. She makes good copy at the moment, whatever she does and whatever she wears.

Zara will get her coverage, more particularly in the sporting press which is where her achievements are better understood and valued. The DM today referred to Zara as a 'horseman', they haven't a clue about 3 day eventing, so the articles are about her family.

:previous: THe writers of the DM front page article on Zara are not sports writers but work on the femail section of the paper. Says everything about the DM olympic coverage.

:previous: THe writers of the DM front page article on Zara are not sports writers but work on the femail section of the paper. Says everything about the DM olympic coverage.

If you go into the Olympic Section of the site, Zara's triumph is listed there. Where I guess it should be. Like you said the article about the attendance isn't written about the sport, it's about the clothes and shoes etc hence the femail writers being used. That as "top" story I imagine will soon be replaced by the unfortunate Team GB loss in diving soon enough.

Last nights top story was the attendance of Princess Anne and the DofE at the event yesterday, written as a femail article not specifically as the Olympics. Was that an issue for anyone? I believe they mentioned clothes in that as well.

Not everyone wants the Olympics at them 24/7, newspapers have to look at more than just the games. So the article says nothing of the Olympic Coverage by the DM.

Last edited:
With respect, there isn't anything else about Kate to concentrate at the moment, is there?
She wasn't there in official capacity - just supporting a cousin. They could hardly write about her charities or patronages, or anything along the line.

What the article should have been about was Zara and her achievements, and not Kate at all.

That is what I was getting at, it SHOULD be about Zara but of course it never will be. I was just expressing my annoyance at the DM's, and other media exports, obsession with Catherine. I know it's part and parcel of her position in the family and her marriage, and it is not her fault, but it does bother me. I will get over it eventually, haha.

That is what I was getting at, it SHOULD be about Zara but of course it never will be.

I don't see why an article written by the femail DM writers should be about Zara's equestrian triumph. The article discussing her triumph is in the Olympics Section, and I imagine a full article will be compiled when the event finishes as a whole. Until then the royals in attendance will be the top story.

Side Note: Tina Cook is now in 3rd Place for Team GB, Mary King in fourth and Zara is now down in 8th.

I love this picture, it's incredibly elegant but hugely powerful as well.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/30/article-2181008-144B20A5000005DC-818_964x723.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see why an article written by the femail DM writers should be about Zara's equestrian triumph. The article discussing her triumph is in the Olympics Section, and I imagine a full article will be compiled when the event finishes as a whole. Until then the royals in attendance will be the top story.

Side Note: Tina Cook is now in 3rd Place for Team GB, Mary King in fourth and Zara is now down in 8th.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/07/30/article-2181008-144B20A5000005DC-818_964x723.jpg

It just bothers me that the article was even written, whether it was in the Femail section or not. The press attention should be on the Olympians, not Catherine.

Anyway, let's get back on topic. That is a beautiful image, I have to admit I did get a bit emotional when Zara made it under the time limit. I really hope they do well!

Thanks for that picture. I used to call that place home and it is absolutely at its best right now.

That horse is superb

Last edited by a moderator:
Molly2101 said:
It just bothers me that the article was even written, whether it was in the Femail section or not. The press attention should be on the Olympians, not Catherine.

Anyway, let's get back on topic. That is a beautiful image, I have to admit I did get a bit emotional when Zara made it under the time limit. I really hope they do well!

But not everything can be about the Olympics, we have to have a dose of normality every once in a while. Femail articles should not be about the Olympics they should be about general day to day stuff. It's bad enough for some people that their televisions have been overtaken by sport but if their newspapers turned they'd have nothing. Seeing as Team GBs outfits have been slated, Femail articles have little to talk about except what others are wearing. Although they did to an article on Team GB swimwear last week.

^I agree. The section the article is written in deals with fashion, gossip, celebrity, etc. Even when the femail site touch on athletes, it's about the superficial stuff. Their clothes, their private lives. It's rarely about their sport/accomplishments. When I want to know about the actual athletes, I go to the sporting section of the DM or to another website altogether.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom