Royals at the Commemoration of the 80th anniversary of D-Day: June 6, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful to see the Princess Royal at Bayeux Cathedral yesterday ,the kings sister seems to have enjoyed her chats with the French Bishops!

The cathedral is simply splendid and I paid it a visit in 2014!

King Charles and Queen Camilla attended the UK Ministry of Defence and the Royal British Legion’s commemorative event at the British Normandy Memorial this morning:

** gettyimages: FRA: King Charles III And Queen Camilla Attend The UK D-Day80 National Commemorative Event In Normandy **

Prince Albert also is in the Normandy since yesterday, met veterans and viewed an exhibition:

The Prince of Wales today:

The Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh were in Staffordshire:

** gettyimages gallery **

A live link for today:

King Charles and Queen Camilla attended the UK Ministry of Defence and the Royal British Legion’s commemorative event at the British Normandy Memorial this morning:

** gettyimages: FRA: King Charles III And Queen Camilla Attend The UK D-Day80 National Commemorative Event In Normandy **

Prince Albert also is in the Normandy since yesterday, met veterans and viewed an exhibition:

The Prince of Wales today:

A live link for today:

The Prince of Wales in the pictures above was actually at the Canadian commemorative event, rather than the UK commemorative event as The Telegraph said.

King Charles III and Queen Camilla laying wreaths at the British Memorial in Normandy

The King and Queen meet with veterans​

A mixed gallery with some of the royals in attendance
PPE Agency

Last edited:
The Prince of Wales in the pictures above was actually at the Canadian commemorative event, rather than the UK commemorative event as The Telegraph said.

You have to scroll down a bit, but there's a picture of William at the Canadian event, with Justin Trudeau and French PM Gabriel Attal.

Last edited:
King Frederik marks the 80th anniversary of the landing in Normandy
Denmark's King Frederik participates in the ceremony, where, according to the Prime Minister's Office , a wreath is to be laid for the Danish war sailors at the Danish monument in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont.

HM The King's speech at the reception at the Utah Beach Museum on June 6, 2024 for the 80th anniversary of the Normandy Landings in France

pictures from the Norwegian Royal House

Haakon held a reception on the royal yacht. How lovely to see it used

The pictures and videos show that this has been a thoughtful, moving and well staged commemoration. But it is always those veterans who are still able to attend which provide a grounded and unique perspective on events of that day. There are so few years left for which this will be the case.

The pictures and videos show that this has been a thoughtful, moving and well staged commemoration. But it is always those veterans who are still able to attend which provide a grounded and unique perspective on events of that day. There are so few years left for which this will be the case.
Very true. At the end of the day, the focus should be on the veterans (heroes) that stormed those beaches that day. They are living monuments to history and, sadly, as time passes, there are less and less of them. So, tbh, all the focus on who is there, who is sitting where, and all that is superfluous and should not be the focus of the photos, videos, etc. And further, it should not be used as some type of "pissing" contest. Yes, I said it. Why? Because the significance of this day, the soldiers that gave their lives, and the ones that lived to tell their stories and be a breathing example of a history not to repeat is way more important and deserves all the attention, respect and gravitas they've earned.

With that said: Here is a portion of King Frederik's speech talking about the Danish soldiers that took part in D-Day:

"On Thursday, King Frederik remembered the more than 800 Danes who contributed to the military operation on D-Day, 6 June 1944.

He did so during his speech in connection with the marking of the 80th anniversary of D-Day in Normandy.

- The majority of them were sailors from the Danish merchant fleet, who - faced with the occupation of Denmark in April 1940 - with their ships had chosen to fight under the allied flag, said King Frederik.

He emphasized that more than half of the approximately 250 Danish ships that were on the side of the allies were sunk.

- Almost a thousand Danish sailors never saw their homeland or family again."

Last edited:
Very true @Izzie , im glad the focus has been on the veterans. All heads of states and representative putting the focus where it should be.

King Frederik greets a 99-year-old D-Day veteran
- Meeting those who were there on the day is living history

"80 years ago today, the beaches of Normandy formed the setting for the beginning of one of the largest military operations in world history, when the Allied forces invaded German-occupied Northern France. June 6, 1944 is later known as D-Day.
His Majesty the King was in Normandy today to honor the heroic efforts of the soldiers.
Over 800 Danish sailors participated on the Allied side in the invasion, and His Majesty today unveiled a new memorial wall near Utah Beach in honor of the fallen Danes.
A large number of heads of state and heads of government from the allied countries took part in the commemoration of the 80th anniversary of the landing in Normandy, hosted by French President His Excellency Emanuel Macron."

From the Netherlands

Very true @Izzie , im glad the focus has been on the veterans. All heads of states and representative putting the focus where it should be.

King Frederik greets a 99-year-old D-Day veteran
- Meeting those who were there on the day is living history
Exactly. Those heroes should be the focus.

Great video showing King Frederik at the events today and meeting veterans. You can also hear a snippet of the speech he gave in French.

"80 years ago today, the beaches of Normandy formed the setting for the beginning of one of the largest military operations in world history, when the Allied forces invaded German-occupied Northern France. June 6, 1944 is later known as D-Day.
His Majesty the King was in Normandy today to honor the heroic efforts of the soldiers.
Over 800 Danish sailors participated on the Allied side in the invasion, and His Majesty today unveiled a new memorial wall near Utah Beach in honor of the fallen Danes.
A large number of heads of state and heads of government from the allied countries took part in the commemoration of the 80th anniversary of the landing in Normandy, hosted by French President His Excellency Emanuel Macron."

From the Netherlands
The DRF Instagram posted some lovely photos.

There'll be the commemorations next year, for the 80th anniversary of the end of the war, but we're coming to the end of the time when veterans will be present, which makes this year all the more special. According to the BBC, 225 British veterans were able to travel to Normandy for the 75th anniversary commemoration of D-Day in 2019, but, this year, only 23 were able to do so.

I remember when there were still quite a lot of First World War veterans alive. So it goes.

There'll be the commemorations next year, for the 80th anniversary of the end of the war, but we're coming to the end of the time when veterans will be present, which makes this year all the more special. According to the BBC, 225 British veterans were able to travel to Normandy for the 75th anniversary commemoration of D-Day in 2019, but, this year, only 23 were able to do so.

I remember when there were still quite a lot of First World War veterans alive. So it goes.
They will be remembered as long as our civilization endures, but, over time, the memory will become increasingly more distant. Maybe one hundred years from now, if the United States or the United Kingdom still exists, people will think of World War II veterans as we think today, for example, of those who fought in Waterloo and the Napoleonic Wars over 200 years ago.

Here are some extra photos of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima:

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde:

Crown Prince Haakon:

Prince Albert:

Pierre Casiraghi and Beatrice Borromeo:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Grand Duke Henri:

I wonder why more royal ladies didn't go

And Prince William, the tallest one. All the presidents also, Biden, Trudeau, and good to see Zelensky

I loved the little snippet of Frederik's speech. I'm not surprised he gave it in French. I assume he seldom has the opportunity to speak it. I'd love to see a clip of him speaking German, as I assumed he learned it because of his Berleberg cousins.

I loved the little snippet of Frederik's speech. I'm not surprised he gave it in French. I assume he seldom has the opportunity to speak it. I'd love to see a clip of him speaking German, as I assumed he learned it because of his Berleberg cousins.
There is a clip somewhere of when he and Mary did an official trip to Germany and he gave some remarks in German. It is super short. If I find it I will PM it to you. IMO, it is so important for royals to speak more than one language well. Frederik speaks 4. Most of the heirs in their teens and 20s speak at least 2 some 3.

pictures from the Norwegian Royal House

Haakon held a reception on the royal yacht. How lovely to see it used
Lovely. I love how the Danish and Norwegian royals always use their royal yachts if at all possible.

Here are some extra photos of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima:

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde:

Crown Prince Haakon:

Prince Albert:

Grand Duke Henri:

Sorry to ask, but who is the short lady wearing a hat who is standing next to the Governor-General of Australia?

I appreciate that Australia was represented by the GG rather than the PM to separate the commemoration from partisan politics. I wish Canada had done the same, but I guess Trudeau cannot miss being in the spotlight.

Last edited:
What a deeply moving couple of days it has been… I’ve often been tearing up myself here at home in front of my phone and computer…

We are forever in debt to that generation who went to war against the Nazi-Tyranny, not knowing if they would ever see their loved ones ever again, and if they did, in what condition they would be…. Many of them were barely 18 or hadn’t even reached 18… To see the still living survivours being just under or just above 100 years of age still breaking down in tears and crying hard when they describe their memories, and talking about their friends who died, sometimes dying in their arms, always gets to me….

There will obviously be celebrations next year as well, celebrating the 80:th anniversary of the VE Day in May and VJ Day in September, but if there will be veterans present, only time will tell… We are sadly starting to approach the time when WW2 will pass out of living memory…. I hope the last living british WW2 veteran whoever God decides it will be, will be given the same funeral honours that WW1 veteran Harry Patch was given with full military honours and both royal and governmental presence (and for the last living US veteran a presidential presence) … Because that won’t just be a funeral among other funerals… It will be an extremly sad goodbye to the greatest generation that has ever walked on earth.

Last edited:
What a deeply moving couple of days it has been… I’ve often been tearing up myself here at home in front of my phone and computer…

We are forever in debt to that generation who went to war against the Nazi-Tyranny, not knowing if they would ever see their loved ones ever again, and if they did, in what condition they would be…. Many of them were barely 18 or hadn’t even reached 18… To see the still living survivours being just under or just above 100 years of age still breaking down in tears and crying hard when they describe their memories, and talking about their friends who died, sometimes dying in their arms, always gets to me….

There will obviously be celebrations next year as well, celebrating the 80:th anniversary of the VE Day in May and VJ Day in September, but if there will be veterans present, only time will tell… We are sadly starting to approach the time when WW2 will pass out of living memory…. I hope the last living british WW2 veteran whoever God decides it will be, will be given the same funeral honours that WW1 veteran Harry Patch was given with full military honours and both royal and governmental presence (and for the last living US veteran a presidential presence) … Because that won’t just be a funeral… It will be an extremly sad goodbye to the greatest generation that has ever walked on earth.

It wasn't too long ago that the last survivor of the USS Arizona died. He was 107, I believe. That's why it's important to talk to veterans while they're still with us to learn their stories and understand what they did and why they did it. After they're gone, all we'll have left are the history books.

It was all beautifully arranged by the French authorities, as usual. An impressive ceremony indeed, esp as this may be the last commemoration where we have some veterans among us.

The president and his wife seem to be on friendly terms with many royals. Macron told CP Haakon that Brigitte 'is a big fan of your mother'. He was asking GD Henri about his family. I believe the summer residence of the French president is close to the summer house of the Lux. GD family, so perhaps they meet in the summer. This was the custom in the past at least.

It seems the Greek prime minister Mitsotakis is fluent in French.

The children´s choir was nice and a beautiful redention of Beethoven´s Ode to Joy- the anthem of the European Union. And as always the Marseillaise after the speech of president Macron was impressive.

Lovely to see how careful and almost affectionate all the leaders and royals were with the veterans.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom