Restoration of the Monarchy in Romania

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the future of the Romanian Monarchy will depends of how Prince Nicolae knows to continue the mission of his Grandfather and of His aunt. A marriage with a Princess will help the cause a lot.

Obviously the future of the Romanian Monarchy will depends of how Prince Nicolae knows to continue the mission of his Grandfather and of His aunt. A marriage with a Princess will help the cause a lot.

Please pardon my ignorance Cory but are there any dynastic limitations to who Prince Nicolae can marry? Do they have to be raised in a particular religious practice or be descended from nobility.

Please pardon my ignorance Cory but are there any dynastic limitations to who Prince Nicolae can marry? Do they have to be raised in a particular religious practice or be descended from nobility.

In the previous monarchic law, it was stipulated that the future King of Romania cannot marry a Romanian born, no restrictions on the title of the future wife. I do not know if that law still stands or can be changed by King Michael.

Prince Nicolae will need the permission of the Sovereign for his marriage.

It seems to me that Romania is a very good example of where the existence of the royal family in almost an official capacity works well within the confines of Romania being a republic.
I'm in the process of reading up on all these threads, so this question may well have alreay been answered - but what is the Government of Romania's stance on the royal family working and actively carrying out duties etc?

In Romania the Royal Family is respected by all the authorities with the excelption of the republican leader Basescu(close the the descendants of Zizi Lambrino). This is an ambiguos situation anyway that will end only when the republic will be finally abolished.

When Romanians think about restoring the monarchy, do they think as I do: "let's right a historical wrong and give King Michael his job back?"

That makes restoring the monarchy an easy and natural choice.

Or do Romanians think, "restoring the monarchy means restoring the pre-1947 order", which isn't necessarily a good thing?

I'm currently reading "Athene Palace" by Waldeck, which describes King Carol II as Romania's Stalin or Mussolini, a "bloodthirsty" regime that most people "detested".

I wouldn't want King Carol II back either, and so if restoring the monarchy would mean having that kind of leader, I see why people wouldn't want it.

Just curious.

Even old, traditional monarchists in Romania - such as my grandparents and parents - do not believe that monarchy can be restored in the near future. They think it should have been restored right after the fall of communism, in 1990, but that opportunity was lost due to old communists, disguised in democratic parties, such as the Social-Democratic Party, the National Liberal Party or the Democrat-Liberal Party, taking over the power.

In other words, there is no political will at any level to pursue the restoration of monarchy. While they all claim to "respect" the ex-monarchs of Romania, those remain just empty words, political rhetoric to fool the gullible. Sadly, the last scandal involving Princess Irina does not help the image of the Romanian monarchs in the eyes of Romanians.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to dear friends in Romania, the story about Irina has only been covered in a few papers, not major coverage. Moreover, the monarchy is about Michael and Margarita. The court case in Oregon is not relevant to a question of restoration in Romania.
Even old, traditional monarchists in Romania - such as my grandparents and parents - do not believe that monarchy can be restored in the near future. They think it should have been restored right after the fall of communism, in 1990, but that opportunity was lost due to old communists, disguised in democratic parties, such as the Social-Democratic Party, the National Liberal Party or the Democrat-Liberal Party, taking over the power.
In other words, there is no political will at any level to pursue the restoration of monarchy. While they all claim to "respect" the ex-monarchs of Romania, those remain just empty words, political rhetoric to fool the gullible. Sadly, the last scandal involving Princess Irina does not help the image of the Romanian monarchs in the eyes of Romanians.

The case of Princess Irina was described in the front pages by all the main newspapers and all the main televisions spoke about this. This case does not help too much the cause of the Restoration.

The royalists ask the President of the Senate Crin Antonescu (president of the once monarchist National Liberal Party) to openly support the Restoration:

Monarhi

The President of the Senate has always claimed to be royalist but he wants to become president of the republic so...

The President of the Senate has always claimed to be royalist but he wants to become president of the republic so...

That is the problem with restoration, the politicians don't want to lose the chance to be top dog, unless the country has fallen so low (re: Cambodia) that even communists will support a restoration.

More than one thousand persons participated on the 10th of November in Bucharest at a Royal March in favour of the King and of Monarchy. The event was organized by the National Alliance for the Restoration of Monarchy and all the newspapers and televisions speak about the return of the royalist option.

Last edited:
Please leave politics and comments and opinions on politicians out of this forum.
As you surely know, such topics are not generally allowed on this forum.
And please, if you really can't refrain from doing, at least use a civil language.
Thanks.

MAfan
Non-reigning Houses Forum Moderator

It's only the beginning...

Well, I'm very pleased that the Royalist March is able to take place without any apparent problems - from the videos it seems to have been a very jolly event.

I do think that restoring a monarchy is far more difficult that abolishing a monarchy! However, it is certianly not beyond the realms of possibility and the situation in Romania seems to be the way to do it: slowly, slowly, catchy monkey so to speak! I like the phrase "royalist option" used by Cory, because installing a monarchical system is indeed a reasonable option for the public in general to think about.

I think there are many people in politics who would like a "top job" and they lose themselves in trying to obtain it, knowing they would have a limited time in such high office to make their mark. The result, I feel, is that the quality of statemanship is also lost, whereas royal personages have a lifetime.

I would like to see The King back on his Throne, something His Majesty deserves after such a difficult life.

The 10 of November Royalist March in Bucharest was a remarkable event. What a beautiful sight to be seen as the Royalist Option continues to gain further ground.

I think back to last September (2012) as Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh hosted a luncheon at Windsor Castle for the sovereign monarchs from around the world. King Michael I was strategically placed sitting directly next to Queen Elizabeth. At the time I thought this was sending a powerful message and I still do. I love this picture for just that reason. I hope it's Ok to post here.
http://s03.imageupper.com/1/2/F13374404331195710_1.jpg

Last edited:
The luncheon took place in may 2012.
The only reason because he was placed sitting next to Queen Elizabeth is that, among all the guests, King Michael was the one who ascended to the throne earlier, in 1927. The other sovereign sitting next to Her Majesty was King Simeon of Bulgaria, who became king in 1943.

Thank you Mfan for the explanation as to seating placement, it brings clarity to the photo.

I think this is a real unprecedented situation, I mean I´ve never seen a "deposed" monarch living in his old palace, being acclaimed even by a republican parliament for his birthday but still - not being in office...?!
When I take my distant view upon the romanian royal house I always have the impression of a "monarchy existing in a republic"...
Let´s hope there will be a turning point in 2014 in favour for the King and the Crown Princess!

The problem is: Head of State, regardless of title, is the highest office in a nation and no politician wants to give up that opportunity. Thus no official status for the King or Royal Family, just this hazy, semi-official status.

The two political factions do not really want Monarchy in this moment.

The last poll made this days shows a clear support for Monarchy at 27,2% of the population.

Sent from my GT-S6312 using The Royals Community mobile app

The debate "Monarchy-Solution for Romania" will be organised next Saturday, the 15th of February at 10.30 in Cluj-Napoca at the European Studies Faculty of the "Babes Bolyai"University. At the event will participate the leaders of ANRM (National Alliance for the Restoration of Monarchy).

Dezbatere despre Monarhie a ANRM Cluj

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is a real unprecedented situation, I mean I´ve never seen a "deposed" monarch living in his old palace, being acclaimed even by a republican parliament for his birthday but still - not being in office...?!
When I take my distant view upon the romanian royal house I always have the impression of a "monarchy existing in a republic"...
Let´s hope there will be a turning point in 2014 in favour for the King and the Crown Princess!

This is what I think as well, it is a bizarre situation indeed

I do hope for the restoration of the Romanian Monarchy, I quite like the Romanian Royal Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom