Queen Sofia Jewellery 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Both the Cartier pearl tiara and the fleur-de-lys tiara originate from Queen Ena. The Loop tiara is even older, it once belonged to Queen Maria Christina. Btw, it is also from Cartier. They are a very beautiful and impressive tiara trio and I'd love to see them worn more often.

Both the Cartier pearl tiara and the fleur-de-lys tiara originate from Queen Ena. The Loop tiara is even older, it once belonged to Queen Maria Christina. Btw, it is also from Cartier. They are a very beautiful and impressive tiara trio and I'd love to see them worn more often.

It would be interesting to see how and when Letizia expands the usage of the tiaras. Noteworthy that most of the tiaras, bar the large F-d-L tiara and the new tiara that Letizia first used in Denmark earlier this year, are owned by Sofia privately.

Great pic. Love those glamourous days!!!!

It would be interesting to see how and when Letizia expands the usage of the tiaras. Noteworthy that most of the tiaras, bar the large F-d-L tiara and the new tiara that Letizia first used in Denmark earlier this year, are owned by Sofia privately.
I don't believe that Queen Sofia would mind loaning the tiaras to the new Queen. I think it is more Queen Letizia who doesn't like wearing big jewels.

That's true,Letizia's taste in jewelry is minimal and almost puritan,plus some of the bigger Spanish tiaras might not suit Letizia's petite features.I've lways thought that the floral tiara and Diamond Prussian tiara really suited Letizia,though I believe the Prussian tiara is owned by Queen Sofia.

Yes, the Prussian tiara is owned by Queen Sofia, it was a gift from her parents. But she also owns the floral tiara (wedding gift from Franco) and the Mellerio shell tiara (wedding gift from her new in-laws). I don't know if the ownership of the floral tiara has passed on to Felipe and Letizia or if it is still Sofia's. It probably doesn't matter much as long as the new Queen can wear it.

There is even a small chance to leave Sofia some of the tiaras she owned to her daughters?

And after the divorce Elena keept this tiara?

I agree, that they would want to keep the tiaras with the current and future monarchs. If Christina should ever need a tiara again, she can still borrow from her mother or brother. Seeing her current economic situation she would probably have to sell a tiara anyway. It would be better if she inherited money or assets of less historical value.

I agree me too. The only sure thing is that when you inherit a tiara to not current monarch the tiara with the years would be lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that the current Spanish tiara collection will be broken up and besides Infanta Elena has her own tiara the diamond Marichalar Tiara.

I agree, that they would want to keep the tiaras with the current and future monarchs. If Christina should ever need a tiara again, she can still borrow from her mother or brother. Seeing her current economic situation she would probably have to sell a tiara anyway. It would be better if she inherited money or assets of less historical value.

And after the divorce Elena keept this tiara?
Yes, she kept it. The tiara was a wedding gift to her and she owns it. And when she leaves the tiara to her children it will stay in the family anyway.

The Spanish jewel collection was greatly depleted during the families exile after 1931,Queen Ena gave some away to her daughters and other great jewels including tiaras were sold off.

Quite right, and they are even lucky that some tiaras are still there. The floral tiara e.g. originates from Queen Maria Cristina and was sold off at one point. It was only by good luck that Franco had the chance to buy it later and give it as a wedding present.

And when Queen Ena gave some tiaras to her daughters she knew that they would have occasions to wear them. But these days that's no longer the case. We don't know if Elena and Cristina will attend more tiara events. It makes more sense to leave the tiaras to those descendants who still will have certain tiara events.

And a big example of Queen Sofia niece Princess Alexia has its own tiara.
Over the years this tiara surely disappears. I wish not of course but.....

But there are some differences:
- Firstly Alexia didn't get a family heirloom tiara. If she or her descendants sell it, there is no loss of a historic dimension.
- Secondly Alexia had/has several occasions to wear her tiara at milestone events in Denmark (and sometimes in Sweden and Norway).
- Thirdly (from the point of view when Alexia was 18): Queen Anne-Marie had one small tiara to be shared amoung her 5 children. It made sense to give Alexia a tiara of her own, because it was expected that additional tiaras were needed at some point in the future.

On the other hand Queen Sofia has three smaller tiara to share amoung the 3 children. Numbers fit, no need to by more. Milestones events abroad are scarce for her daughter, especially now that all CPs of their generation are married. And the three small tiara are steeped in family history, it would be ghastly if they ended up on sale.

Actually, Queen Sofia has a third small tiara, the ruby necklace thingy, which is beautiful as a necklace but imho looks strange in it's tiara version. She has never shared it with the younger ladies, and it has not family connection because it was a wedding gift from a Greek shipping magnate. So the only thing I can imagine is that Queen Sofia might leave this one to one of her daughters.

Thanks IloveCP . I have no idea about that present to Queen from the Stavros Niarchos. Yes the tiara is no so good but with all the set together is beautiful.

The necklace and earrings are very beautiful, but the tiara looks so strange, especially with that obtrusive velvet base. And it is too small for Queen Sofia. But I can imagine it with a more discreet base on the blond heads of the infantas, once they have reached tiara age. The rubies will look good on them, and on a young lady this small tiara would be quite charming.

Beautiful necklace and earrings but they do not work as a tiara in the form worn by Queen Sofia and need to be more visible and not lost in her hair.

Queen Sofia has an impressive collection of brooches and she wears them well ,I wonder if nay of them were her late mothers?

I love all the tiaras!! But mostly the Mellerio Shell Tiara!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom