Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 13: November 2006-Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just think - 167 years of alcohol maturing in fruit cake. One raisin could send you blind. I gotta get me that cake!

Queen Elizabeth heads to Amsterdam

Amsterdam - Queen Elizabeth will arrive in the Netherlands Monday for a low-key visit to mark the 400th anniversary of Amsterdam's English Reformed Church, the oldest English-speaking congregation outside the United Kingdom.

IOL: Queen Elizabeth heads to Amsterdam

I was just on the royal website and learned that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be in the US for the 400th anniversary settlement of Jamestown. This is great since its only about a 30 minute drive. I think I can swing this. :flowers:

kerry said:
I was just on the royal website and learned that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will be in the US for the 400th anniversary settlement of Jamestown. This is great since its only about a 30 minute drive. I think I can swing this. :flowers:
I will cross my fingers for you! :flowers:

Thanks Skydragon! I've already told my boss that I want that day off.:flowers: Hopefully, I'll get a pic or two. Be nice to get an "intro"!:lol: I would love to meet the Duke of Edinburgh and hear some of his wit!:ROFLMAO:

ysbel said:
I don't know if I'd want to look inside the box!

By the sight of it, it's yucky!! Nothing like the Seinfeld episode where Elaine eats the piece of Edward VIII & Wallis Simpson wedding cake.:lol:

I am certain that this has been asked at some point, but when the Duke passes away, who will inherit his title, Duke of Edinburgh? Will it be Prince Harry? He's the only one I can think of who would inherit it, because ducal titles pass to the male heir, right? Thanks!
Janet

I may be wrong but I believe the Earl of Wessex will inherit the title Duke of Edinburgh.

After the death of the Duke of Edinburgh, the title will be merged with the Crown. It is intended that at some point The Earl of Wessex will indeed get it.

You can find more detailed discussion about this in the Questions About Titles thread.

Well, I like that! I always thought that Edward should have received the title of Duke, and Sophie will make a lovely duchess. Thank you for answering my questions.
What titles does Edward hold, anyway?
Janet

The title won't merge with the crown until the Queen dies. The Prince of Wales will inherit the title. If that's before the Queen dies, he becomes the Duke of Edinburgh (but probably won't use the title). If it's after the Queen dies, it merges with the Crown.

wbenson said:
The title won't merge with the crown until the Queen dies. The Prince of Wales will inherit the title. If that's before the Queen dies, he becomes the Duke of Edinburgh (but probably won't use the title). If it's after the Queen dies, it merges with the Crown.

The line of succession for Prince Philip's peerages is: Charles -> William -> Henry -> Andrew -> Edward

The route is as following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prince Philip dies and Queen Elizabeth is still Sovereign:

- Prince Charles will inherit his peerages (and become 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich)
- When Prince Charles dies before the kingship, his son Prince William will become 3rd Duke of Edinburgh
- When Prince Charles (or Prince William) assumes the Kingship after Queen Elizabeth II, the peerages will revert to the Crown.

It is solely upon His Majesty's pleasure to create a new Dukedom for Prince Edward, if he wishes so. Prince Edward will then become the 1st Duke of Edinburgh (of the new creation). Because he has no male heirs, it will again revert to the Crown after Prince Edward's death

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prince Philip dies and King Charles is Sovereign:

His eldest son, The King, will inherit his peerages but these will merge with the Crown.

It is solely upon His Majesty's pleasure to create a new Dukedom for Prince Edward, if he wishes so. Prince Edward will then become the 1st Duke of Edinburgh (of the new creation). Because he has no male heirs, it will again revert to the Crown after Prince Edward's death

Last edited:
jcbcode99 said:
Well, I like that! I always thought that Edward should have received the title of Duke, and Sophie will make a lovely duchess. Thank you for answering my questions.
What titles does Edward hold, anyway?
Janet

Edward is Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn. It was stated at the time of his wedding, although I don't remember how authoritative the source was, that it was intended for him to to become Duke of Edinburgh on the death of both parents. Mind you, they also tell us that it's intended that Camilla will be Princess Consort to King Charles, and there are any number of legal difficulties with that, so who knows. Maybe if Edward does become a royal Duke, Lady Louise will start using the HRH Princess Louise handle that she's entitled to.

Last edited:
Elspeth,
I totally agree that Lady Louise Windsor should be referred to as Princess Louise, and while I understand the idea behind her parents choosing that she not have the title of princess, I think it is a shame. That should be Lady Louise's choice, and hopefully, she will decide to use that title one day.

Thank you for the information regarding Edward, Earl of Wessex and Viscont Severn. I think he would make a marvelous Duke of Edinburgh.
Janet

BeatrixFan said:
If someone dared you to eat a bit would you? I probably would just to say I'd eaten some of Queen Victoria's wedding cake.

I don't know if I'd risk it. Who knows what kind of sickness you could get from eating cake that's over a century and a half old.

If you got me drunk enough, I'd eat it....only because I wouldn't know what I was eating! :lol:

Henri M. said:
The line of succession for Prince Philip's peerages is: Charles -> William -> Henry -> Andrew -> Edward

The route is as following:

Prince Philip dies and Queen Elizabeth is still Sovereign:

- Prince Charles will inherit his peerages (and become 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich)
- When Prince Charles dies before the kingship, his son Prince William will become 3rd Duke of Edinburgh
- When Prince Charles (or Prince William) assumes the Kingship after Queen Elizabeth II, the peerages will revert to the Crown.

Prince Philip dies and King Charles is Sovereign:

His eldest son, The King, will inherit his peerages but these will merge with the Crown.

As this will be a new creation it is possible for the King (Charles/William or ??) to allow for female inheritance - a precedence has been set for this sort of inheritance with the Mountbatten title which allowed for female inheritance due to Lord Mountbatten having no sons at the time of the creation. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened as it is obvious that the Queen and the present Duke would like the title to pass on through subsequent generations. That would mean that at some future date Louise would be a Duchess in her own right - but as the parents want her to have a low key upbringing and I suspect a life out of the limelight they mightn't want that anyway.

I am thinking about the same thing about Countess Mountbatten, but I doubt that either Charles or William will allow female inherance to pass this title. After all this title can be resevered for husband for the future Queen regina after Prince Edward's male line dies out. The best thing is to let Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward to have a boy as his heir.

love_cc said:
I am thinking about the same thing about Countess Mountbatten, but I doubt that either Charles or William will allow female inherance to pass this title. After all this title can be resevered for husband for the future Queen regina after Prince Edward's male line dies out. The best thing is to let Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward to have a boy as his heir.

Considering the Countess's current age and the problems she has already had having Louise do you really think that they are seriously going to try to have another child - knowing that there is a 50% chance they will have another girl.

On the other hand I think that allowing female succession is very possible in this case as a mark of respect to the current holder - in order to allow his title to pass to his heirs (albeit through a younger son but still an heir).

I can see your argument of course but it could be a century or more before we have another Queen Regnant and the attachment to the Edinburgh title will have passed by then (like Queen Victoria's desire to have all those in line to the British throne have either Victoria or Albert in their names - didn't even last one full generation after her death e.g. the present Queen - 25 years after Victoria's death and the reports are that Victoria wasn't even considered as a possible name).

chrissy57 said:
Considering the Countess's current age and the problems she has already had having Louise do you really think that they are seriously going to try to have another child - knowing that there is a 50% chance they will have another girl.

On the other hand I think that allowing female succession is very possible in this case as a mark of respect to the current holder - in order to allow his title to pass to his heirs (albeit through a younger son but still an heir).

I can see your argument of course but it could be a century or more before we have another Queen Regnant and the attachment to the Edinburgh title will have passed by then (like Queen Victoria's desire to have all those in line to the British throne have either Victoria or Albert in their names - didn't even last one full generation after her death e.g. the present Queen - 25 years after Victoria's death and the reports are that Victoria wasn't even considered as a possible name).
We have the medical technology to guarantee a male child, if she is able to get pregnant and carry the child to term. Because it'd an invitro process, they can do preimplantation genetics testing so that the child does not have down's syndrom which as you know is an issue in pregnancies in your late thirties and early forties. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the Japanese CP hasnt gone this route. How old is Sophie now?

scooter said:
We have the medical technology to guarantee a male child, if she is able to get pregnant and carry the child to term. Because it'd an invitro process, they can do preimplantation genetics testing so that the child does not have down's syndrom which as you know is an issue in pregnancies in your late thirties and early forties. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the Japanese CP hasnt gone this route. How old is Sophie now?

She was 42 last week.

The big problem is her ability to take a child to term - Louise was born early and almost killed Sophie. Her earlier pregnancy also almost killed her - the ectopic one. That is why I don't think they would take the risk to have another child.

scooter said:

I've ALWAYS wondered why the Japanese CP didn't do this route....well, his brother obvisouly beat him to it. Did anyone doubt that the child would be a boy?

OK, sorry, back to topic!

Queen Elizabeth II meets members of the English Premier League soccer team Arsenal, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007. The Queen finally met the team for tea today - four months after she was forced to take time out due to injury. The 80-year-old monarch cancelled a trip to see the club's new Emirates Stadium in October after suffering from a bad back.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth with Justin Hoyte, Theo Walcott, Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry
Queen Elizabeth, Arsene Wenger and the clubs chairman Peter Hill-Wood

Members of the Arsenal Team (Freddie Ljungberg and Jens Lehmann)
Members of the Arsenal Team

Pictures from Wenn

Last edited:
Rare royal letter goes under hammer

In a rare auction, a letter written by Queen Elizabeth II when she was a schoolgirl will go under the hammer next month, recounting her youthful joy while horseriding.

Rare royal letter goes under hammer | NEWS.com.au

I know it's 'old fashioned', but I feel that private letters written to anyone should remain just that... private.

Avalon said:
Queen Elizabeth II meets members of the English Premier League soccer team Arsenal, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007. The Queen finally met the team for tea today - four months after she was forced to take time out due to injury. The 80-year-old monarch cancelled a trip to see the club's new Emirates Stadium in October after suffering from a bad back.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth with Justin Hoyte, Theo Walcott, Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry
Queen Elizabeth, Arsene Wenger and the clubs chairman Peter Hill-Wood

Members of the Arsenal Team (Freddie Ljungberg and Jens Lehmann)
Members of the Arsenal Team

Pictures from Wenn

Wow, last year Lehmann had an audience with Angela Merkel and now he has an audience with the Queen.

I wonder how weird it must have felt for the Queen to visit an English team whose team roster is anything but English.

Skydragon said:
I know it's 'old fashioned', but I feel that private letters written to anyone should remain just that... private.

I agree, Skydragon, up to a point, I guess. I keep feeling that at some time they can become important historical documents, but much farther into the future.

Freddie and Thierry sweeten things up at Buckingham Palace

You don't need to be a football fan to get excited about meeting Calvin Klein model and Arsenal ace Freddie Ljungberg. And Queen Elizabeth certainly seemed to be enjoying herself when she welcomed the chisel-jawed athlete and several of his Arsenal team-mates to her London home on Thursday.
Sipping tea in Buckingham Palace made for a rather different experience to the rough and tumble of premiership football, but the reception was a sweet encounter for the hunky star, who was snapped daintily helping himself to sugar.

Pics 16.02.2007

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip during a visit to Millwall Fire Station in London's Docklands, 16 February 2007. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh received a briefing on operations and watched participants in the "LIFE Program". The program is an intensive course in which young people learn firefighting skills alongside real firefighters. The youngsters aged between 13-18 are responsible for managing and maintaining a fire engine, firefighting equipment, the station and their own protective equipment. The program started in 2002 and has grown to become a nationally acclaimed scheme used across London and by six other fire services. AFP PHOTO/ADRIAN DENNIS/WPA POOL/AFP

A sweet smile for Philip
The Queen presenting a certificate to a student
During the demonstration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom