Prinsjesdag 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The day seems to finally have gone back to normal. Some impressions going through the Dutch media:

It was noted by all the papers and all the tv programmes that the protests seem to have evaporated. Some in the press claim this has to do with monarchy, but I personally think it much more likely that a new government and a new PM -as much I personally dislike it- have had this effect.. Studies show that esp. lower educated people have more confidence int he government than previously.

On RTL it was said that last year a mistake was made by placing this larger group of protesters close to the window of Kneuterdijk palace, blocking the view for Pss Beatrix with protest signs. this year ladies in traditional costumes from Spakenburg were placed on that location.

Last year -by mistake-the police removed the fences for the protesters first, which meant they were the first ones who could run to the balcony. This year they had to wait. There was a small group of republicans protesting along the route btw.

To prevent last year's boo-ing, a military band was placed closer to the palace. In case there had been loud boo's the music could drown out some of it. In the end it was not needed.

Unlike last year the stands along the route were crowded again. Apparently local Orange associations were remembered that you actually needded to reserve seats there, which many people did.

Lot's of praise for the King -who read the speech faultless and with great confidence, not giving the usual parody programmes any amunition. And esp. for the Princess of Orange, who was considered the best dresser of the day. People noted her confidence and calm, comparisons were made to a young Beatrix.

Princess Laurentien wore the Queen's personal jewels, which some considered a sign of support. But IIRC she has done this before. She was widely cheered and it seems that in her conflict with anonymous civil servants the sympathy of the public is firmly with her.

--
I would be surprised not to see the approval ratings go up in April. They already stabilized last year but it feels the atmosphere has changed.

Reactions: SLV
It was lovely to see the photos of Beatrix watching ,it reminded me of the photo of the late queen Julianna watching her daughter Beatrix from behind a curtain!

Possible she might not be supportive of the government ((thank God she the spare and not the heir))

This also wasn’t very appropriate for such event
Which is probably why she kept it covered under her sleeve. So no harm done, I think.

I suspect it was not meant to be showing indeed. I would be surprised to see it re-appear on any other public outing of the family.

It seems the court is eager to shield Alexia from some of the attention/ her reputation. It was noted that Amalia stood out more than her younger sister did. Royalty journalist Rick Evers said on ‘Vandaag Inside’ that a while ago he was approached by somebody in the palace after he participated in a discussion on this tv programme where old men were commentating in a distasteful way -complementing I imagine they thought it was- about her body.

-
It was interesting that in an attempt at likability the populist politicians all of a sudden were full of praise for the monarchy. National oracle Caroline van der Plas (leader of the Farmers & Citizens Party) seemed rather convincing while describing them -especially the King- and the ceremony in glowing terms.

Wilders less so, but he tried to do the same. As the shrewdest politician of his time it feels he now regards too much criticism of the RF and too much of his usual sourness as a liability to his chances of being reelected as the largest party.

Last edited:
It was nice to see an enthusiastic Princess Beatrix waving enthusiastically.
This is Alexia's second Prinsejsdag and like last year she seems to be very much aware of the cameras and seems to enjoy posing like a model. The bracelet is very Alexia but I'm of the opinion that she knew it would be seen and reported on . Otherwise, why not remove it all together. She does get points for recycling her mother's beautiful dress. Hurray for sustainability and being environmentally conscious!
I hope I don't get in trouble for stating the obvious, but the Princess of Oranje is noticeably getting increasingly thinner as time passes. I think that paired with her poise and glamour she will eventually eclipse the attention-seeking Alexia in due time.

Back
Top Bottom