Princess Leonor's Military Studies

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a wonderful day and ceremony for Leonor,her parents must be so proud.
Would have been nice to see Queen Sofia in attendance for this family event.

Queen Sofia couldn't be there unless she was part of the guest public as a family member. The military ceremony in the tribune is strictly reserved to the King of Spain, wife and children.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia couldn't be there. She is the queen consort of the previous king. This military ceremony is strictly limited to the King of Spain, wife and children.
Who also happens to be Leonors grandmother.
(I under it was limited to just the 4 of them )

Who also happens to be Leonors grandmother.
(I under it was limited to just the 4 of them )

I amended my previous post to make it a bit clearer why Queen Sofia couldn't be part in the tribune with King Felipe.

This is a military ceremony with strict numbers of guests. Being Leonor's grandparent means little. I have no idea if Sofia attendance was limiting other parents from attending the ceremony, and she graciously stayed away, so more graduate parents could attend.

I amended my previous post to make it a bit clearer why Queen Sofia couldn't be part in the tribune with King Felipe.

This is a military ceremony with strict numbers of guests. Being Leonor's grandparent means little. I have no idea if her attendance was limiting other parents from attending the ceremony and if she graciously stayed away, so more graduate parents could attend.
I guess its down to numbers at these ceremonies and every place counts!

I guess its down to numbers at these ceremonies and every place counts!
I've been thinking about this, and please take my post as a personal opinion only.

I think there is another issue why Qeen Sofia would not attend a military ceremony for her granddaughter. Leonor is doing a 3 year stint in the military because one day she'll be Head of State in Spain and command their arm forces. Her path as Crown Heir was discussed and agreed with by the Royal House and the Spanish government. Leonor's military service is considered an essential to that path as future Head of State. Queen Sofia is a member of the Royal Family but still a former queen's consort without direct line to the Head of the State. That direct line belongs to Juan Carlos and military service is very strict even if Leonor is doing a modified version of the usual 5 year officer career.

I've probably made a mess of this but I hope you get where I'm coming from.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this, and please take my post as a personal opinion only.

I think there is another issue why Qeen Sofia would not attend a military ceremony for her granddaughter. Leonor is doing a 3 year stint in the military because one day she'll be Head of State in Spain and command their arm forces. Her path as Crown Heir was discussed and agreed with by the Royal House and the Spanish government. Leonor's military service is considered an essential to that path as future Head of State. Queen Sofia is a member of the Royal Family but still a former queen's consort without direct line to the Head of the State. That direct line belongs to Juan Carlos and military service in the case of Leonor is very strict.

My thinking is that if they invited Queen Sofia then would have to invite Letizia's parents and that the numbers were quite limited.

(My post was hypothetical and just meant it would have been nice as I'm sure QS is just as proud of her granddaughters.)

Video from todays event a rather breezy day

Last edited:

I think there is another issue why Qeen Sofia would not attend a military ceremony for her granddaughter. Leonor is doing a 3 year stint in the military because one day she'll be Head of State in Spain and command their arm forces. Her path as Crown Heir was discussed and agreed with by the Royal House and the Spanish government. Leonor's military service is considered an essential to that path as future Head of State. Queen Sofia is a member of the Royal Family but still a former queen's consort without direct line to the Head of the State. That direct line belongs to Juan Carlos and military service is very strict even if Leonor is doing a modified version of the usual 5-year officer career.

I would have put the rule book aside and invite Queen Sofia to join her family in this celebration and give her blessings to the princess. What's another chair going to do wrong for optics even if it was limited to parents and siblings.

I would have put the rule book aside and invite Queen Sofia to join her family in this celebration and give her blessings to the princess. What's another chair going to do wrong for optics even if it was limited to parents and siblings.

It's not about a rule book, Toledo. It's a military ceremony with hundreds of cadets graduating and limited number of guests. Parents, siblings, girlfriends, boyfriends, everyone wants to be there. Queen Sofia would always be part of the ceremony if she wanted to, but considering it's military and her former role as queen consort, I think she was wise to stay away.

Congratulations Leonor! The pictures with her father and her mother were delightful. Can't wait for her next event on July 5th with just her father ;)

Sorry to try to make a point but the social media influencer Tomas Parano took a picture with both princesses. He's in the event because his cousin Jorge was appointed lieutenant. Tomas entourage included his eldest son Tomi and his younger sister Eva. I guess guest invites for the graduates was more flexible than just immediate family.

Some other articles about the event:
King Felipe and Letizia shower Princess Leonor with affection as she graduates from military school

Photo of Leonor on military uniform on her first ever official trip on her own:
Spain’s crown princess to visit Portugal as first ever official trip

By the way, while looking for articles on the graduation I found one from the notorious reporter Penafiel where he attacked Leonor and her military classes. In my eyes this guy can't sink to any lower level anymore. Now that Leonor is out and about, she will be his new target besides Queen Sofia and Queen Letizia.

Back
Top Bottom