Princess Irene (1942-), sister of King Constantine

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you!!! I see Princess Irene very well, she is thinner..I like her

thank you by pictures of Princess Irine! I like the Princess Irini...

I am a republican but not an anti-monarchist. I am still an EU (Greek) citizen and, at times, have envisaged that I wouldn't mind having a person like Yriny as the national powerless figurehead, as president for life.
Each time I come across the serenity, genuine smile and warmth of this woman I feel that tomorrow will be a better day.
She is rare and precious!

Republican and anti-monarchical, you are very contradictory .... Irine is a great woman, she has done a great social labour.... She is a unique person.I agree with you, she is admirable woman.

Republican and anti-monarchical, you are very contradictory .... Irine is a great woman, she has done a great social labour.... She is a unique person.I agree with you, she is admirable woman.

Please read my statement. I said not anti-monarchist.

It is fair to say that both these ladies are unique, remarkable, adorable and admirable individuals. However, neither has ever distinguished herself in terms of sense of fashion, looks or overall appearance. Perhaps they didn't care because they are both very spiritual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Together with her sister Queen Sofia, Princess Irene attended
Mr Alfonso Escamez's funeral in Madrid, June 9, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I'd wish we could have a monarch like this adorable person. She is a veritable humanist extraordinaire.

Princess Irene attended a concert held at the National Auditorium
in Madrid, Spain, 29 June 2010 together with her sister Queen
Sofia.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

THANK YOU!!!!! They are with Zubin Mehta, Zubin Methta is friend of Princess Irini ...

neither has ever distinguished herself in terms of sense of fashion, looks or overall appearance. Perhaps they didn't care because they are both very spiritual.
That's true.I like Irini's aura.I think that she is the most ''compromised'' (if i can use this term) with the whole exile situation.She seems wise and calm.

I'd wish we could have a monarch like this adorable person. She is a veritable humanist extraordinaire.
I have to agree with you a hundred percent.. and thanks for articulating it so accurately.Princess Irene is a magnificent Princess.

Does she have greek passport?

It makes sense. I cannot think of any other country that would issue a passport to her under the no-surname circumstances.

That's true.I like Irini's aura.I think that she is the most ''compromised'' (if i can use this term) with the whole exile situation.She seems wise and calm.
I take it you use 'compromised' in translation from the Greek, meaning "accepting". Yes, she has accepted it and, in fact, in an interview to Mr. Lalas several years back, she said verbatim, "Everything had been destined to happen" - "Ηταν γραφτό να γίνει ό,τι έγινε!"

^ Yes this is exactly what i wanted to say.:) She lives away from Greece,she's unmarried without children (i mean she doesn't have a family on her own to occupy herself) but happy and satisfied.Wise woman.

Princess Irini believe in destiny, she believes that everything is written, is part of her thinking .. I think she is Spanish, lives in Spain. And her foundation is based in Spain.

^ Yes this is exactly what i wanted to say.:) She lives away from Greece,she's unmarried without children (i mean she doesn't have a family on her own to occupy herself) but happy and satisfied.Wise woman.
Not really. She spends quite a lot of her time in Athens nowadays and, I believe, she keeps an apartment on glamorous Vassilissis Sofias (Queen Sofia) Avenue.

Princess Irini live in Madrid permanently. Before, she lived between Madrid, London and India, but after of her illness she lives in Spain. She speaks very well the spanish

:nonono:Princess Irene shares her time between Spain and Greece, Iris1983. She spends a lot of time here, she does live in an a apartment, as Vlaha mentioned above, though it is not her own, it belongs to the Geroulanos family, very old friends of the Royal Family. She is also active in Greece, participating in various boards of institutes and foundations (such as the piano contest in memory of G. Bachauer, the Benaki Museum, The Megaron Mousikis Friends' Association to mention but a few.) She also runs an Athens office for her "Mundo in Armonia" (Κόσμος εν Αρμονία in Greek, she chose this title because it sounds equally good in Greek and Spanish) and she has also created a trustfund with the money she received from the Greek State as a compensation for her part of the Royal Estate... She feels Greek indeed, she said so in her interview in Mega Channel TV two years ago, she also said in the book of E.Celada that she feels grateful to the Spanish people for the warmth and the hospitality and kindness that they show to her. Of course she is a citizen of the world (aren't we all in a way;)) with a Greek background and a Greek temperament and a Spanish passport of course.
P.S. Iris1983, you'd be surprised if you knew how often her Majesty Queen Sofia (almost every month) finds the time to visit her sister here in Athens and the two sisters take up short trips to the country, or simply walk around the city. Believe me, this is no urban myth, I happen to know it, simply because a friend of mine works in the Athens Hilton, where she always stays when in Greece.

The story goes that she was turned down or turned away a couple of princely matches[ including the future King of Norway then I think} and the arranged marriages with nobility did not work out so Irene did not play with various men and create a reputation- she is above reproach- she became a spiritual person; a musical person who maintains an apartment in Chennai ; spain; and Athens . And I think she rocks!

^ It's the first time i hear about her turning away those princely matches.But what i appreciate most in her is that she totally accepted the future of her family and when she visits Greece she does it noiselessly.She gained the respect.

As I have stated before in this forum, the overwhelming popularity that Yriny and Sofia enjoy constantly among the Greek people as contrasted by the very limited, if not miniscule, popularity of King Constantine stands as proof of the fact that the Hellenes are not that unfair or unjust toward the royals as many foreigners tend to believe.
Alas, history cannot be rewritten.

Something tells me that both sisters, deeply in their hearts, have done their analyses and drawn their own conclusions, and this, I guess, explains why they are so fond of Greece and relate so perfectly with fellow Hellenes.

I, also, believe that princess Yriny's Spanish passport is one of convenience. She is Greek but she doesn't have a Greek passport because, I am sure, she wouldn't want to embarrass her brother regarding the surname issue - even though she, herself, would care less what her surname would be; besides, my inside iformation tells me that the authorities would be happy to turn a blind eye on the issue as a personal favor.

Last edited by a moderator:
What last name does she use on her Spanish passport?

Back
Top Bottom