Princess Alexia, News and Events Part 1 (Jan 2022 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not keen on the photos here either. She always looks slightly smug to me, which I’m sure she isn’t or doesn’t intend to be!

Am I the only one who finds her hairstyle quite old fashioned?

Sorry but it's one of the worst royal portrait I've ever seen.

I can't believe those photos received green light, she's 18 but looks like a middle-aged woman who had a lot of (bad) work done in those pictures.

Could the background be any darker!?

Last edited:
I saw these photos last night and did not comment. I do agree these are not very flattering photos at all. She looks like she is pouting and is ‘put out” that she had to have her photo taken. I remember other family pictures where it appeared she did not want to partake and she gave the same ‘unhappy look’. She is a very pretty young lady and is beautiful when she is happy and smiles. If she does not want to be part of the active Royal Family, then let her step back and become a private citizen. She is old enough to do this. Yes, she is behind her sister in ruling her country but she does not have to be. Forcing is not going to help. I rather see a happy photo when she wants to be public that is IF she wants it.

She's a pretty girl so a little smile wouldn't hurt.

The third photo is the most interesting IMO. It resembles a classical painting of a royal, some 3-500 years ago, with the dark hues being a nod to Dutch painters of the period.
I actually like it, it's different.

The photos look like they were taken in Dracula's castle, the dark background was probably intended not to distract but sadly they've missed the mark.
They could have used a painting of one of one of the many historic Orange Princesses as a back drop or one of the beautiful palace gardens.

Terrible photographs of an attractive young lady. I wonder why she and/or her parents approved them. And what is going on with her lower lip. She has very full lips to begin with …. No need for Botox at 18!

Pity the background of the pics is so dark. The Princess has also been awarded the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and the Order of the Lion of Nassau today.

Thank you for the information. The mini royals are growing.
Not much favorite photos but I can see the style they were aiming for.

She's a pretty girl so a little smile wouldn't hurt.

The third photo is the most interesting IMO. It resembles a classical painting of a royal, some 3-500 years ago, with the dark hues being a nod to Dutch painters of the period.
I actually like it, it's different.

Muhler I totally agree with you. the pictures reminded me very much of the old Dutch Masters of the 17th century, in fact I was thinking of the famous painting of Vermeer "Girl with the pearl earring". Most of these portraits have this dark background which is highlighting the person.
Very old fashioned in comparison to all the glamour fotos , selfies and not what of our time.

Maybe Alexia herself decided to be pictured like that. After all that criticism about her posing and the videos from her friends at school which probably shouldn't have got into the public, she wanted to appear as a different person.

Being in the minority here, I do like these photos.

https://artsandculture.google.com/a...197499885882963,"height":1.2375000000000005}}

Pity the background of the pics is so dark. The Princess has also been awarded the Order of the Lion of the Netherlands and the Order of the Lion of Nassau today.

And unfortunately I couldn't find any document :sad:

Document about the orders.

According to Article 17 of the Reglement op de Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw en de Orde van Oranje-Nassau, the royal decree (koninklijk besluit) will be published in the Staatscourant within a month.

It will look a lot like this one (for the princess of Orange): https://zoek.officielebekendmakingen.nl/stcrt-2021-49407.html

The other one is a shared order with Luxembourg - the king and grand duke are shared grand masters of the order. It uses slightly different language. This is not a royal decree (including government sign-off) but a 'Koninklijke beschikking' (royal provision?); I doubt it will be published.

Last edited:
I like the photos! I remember seeing Dutch paintings when I was in school, they were dark and "moody," but there's something about them that I really grabbed my attention as a student. Maybe this photo session was an homage to Dutch painters of the past?

Just like her sister, princess Alexia will take a gap year. She has many plans (travelling, working) but nothing is planned yet.

She explains she isn't ready to go back to 'school' just yet. She wants to wait to make that step, isn't ready yet to do so right now because she has had two 'very eventful years' (hele bewogen jaren) and therefore thinks that for her it is best to go back to herself for one year.

I wonder what she is referring two with 'two very eventful years' - probably her sister's situation has impacted her a lot as well, especially since she could only witness it from afar; and not provide the support she would want to.

Last edited:
Being away at boarding school would be the logical guess.

She was in Wales for 2 years. Thats a major shift in her life from her public role and life at home. Shifting back to life in the Netherlands now. Taking a pause to figure out where she wants her education path to go next.

:previous:

The Palace today shared a video of Princess Alexia raising the flag at Huis ten Bosch Palace following her successful graduation.

King Willem-Alexander has recorded the video. A similar video had been shared of Catharina Amalia after her graduation:

"The flag is flying at Huis ten Bosch Palace! Princess Alexia received her International Baccalaureate diploma at the United World College of the Atlantic on Thursday 6 July."

** twitter video ** instagram video **

My Dutch is a little rusty, is it a tugboat or is it one of those ships that suck sand up?

A less than glamorous existence in both cases, but nevertheless a busy and vital existence. So it's not something to feel ashamed about at all.

Even non-rusty speakers may need to blink twice before understanding what is meant ;) I had to look it up as well.

But it is the latter. I believe it is translated as Trailing Suction Hopper Dredger.

A lovely surprise to have the Princess do her own event. And quite unexpecteded.

:previous: I feel better. :lol:

Her first solo. That's always something to look forward to.

But the bad jokes are lining up! I really, really have to beat myself over the knuckles in order not to type them. ?

The dredger was commissioned and will be used by the Van Oord company, one of the larger Dutch family-owned companies operating internationally (it is one of the big players in the dredging world). This specific dredger is an improvement in terms of CO2 compared to regular/previous dredgers.

Very nice. I am looking forward to it!

Has the Princess of Oranje done a solo visit? I don't recall her ever doing one. Everything she has done so far has been in the company of her parents or family.

:previous: I feel better. :lol:

Her first solo. That's always something to look forward to.

But the bad jokes are lining up! I really, really have to beat myself over the knuckles in order not to type them. ?

So basically, one could say that in terms of solo events, or debuts, this... sucks?

(Sorry, Alexia. I'm sure your presence will be enlivening.)

So basically, one could say that in terms of solo events, or debuts, this... sucks?

(Sorry, Alexia. I'm sure your presence will be enlivening.)

Exactly, but at least she wont have to suck up to anyone. ?

I would say that having a dredger named for you is not the world's best attempt at sucking up, strangely enough.

Back
Top Bottom