Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane, News and Events Part 1 (Jan 2022 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Alexia will study at the University College London (UCL) with the bachelor Science & Engineering for Social Change aan de Faculty of Engineering.

Interesting, I am sure I remember Maxima saying that when she was going to school in Wales, they agreed that university would be back in the Netherlands. Anyway life and choices change.

Apparently they do. I am surprised as well. At the very least the bachelor could be done in The Netherlands. But she will have much more privacy in London of course. Still, the signal it is sending about our own universities is not great. Good enough for the common people ...

I am not sure what the study actually means, but it seems broad and a bit of everything.

Last edited:
Apparently they do. I am surprised as well. At the very least the bachelor could be done in The Netherlands. But she will have much more privacy in London of course. Still, the signal it is sending about our own universities is not great. Good enough for the common people ...

I am not sure what the study actually means, but it seems broad and a bit of everything.
I am surprised as well and I doubt she will have more privacy in London. It's what Chris and Madeleine thought and left after some time and Chris losing his cool some other times. There are lots of paparazzis around and there is no media code for Dutch royals! Lots of clubs to fall out of too so this will be interesting!

I am surprised as well and I doubt she will have more privacy in London. It's what Chris and Madeleine thought and left after some time and Chris losing his cool some other times. There are lots of paparazzis around and there is no media code for Dutch royals! Lots of clubs to fall out of too so this will be interesting!
But for Prince Friso and Mabel it worked in London with Privacy. Does Mabel not still live there?. Think it depends also on the lifestyle and how much ones goes out

Princess Alexia will study at the University College London (UCL) with the bachelor Science & Engineering for Social Change aan de Faculty of Engineering.

Description of the programme:

Great choice. UCL is a good university, and she is clearly a bright girl.

Amalia is studying in the Netherlands, or at least was as long as the security situation allowed it. So if it is good enough for Amalia, the future monarch, it is good enough for all.

Ariane, as the second child, does not need to be a part of this tokenism. That her father is the monarch should not stop her from choosing to study where she would like to, IMO.

But for Prince Friso and Mabel it worked in London with Privacy. Does Mabel not still live there?. Think it depends also on the lifestyle and how much ones goes out
Yes and interest of the gossip magazines. Young princesses who like to party are interesting, and Alexia will certainly move in social circles that attract paparazzi. She ain't boring!

I am a bit surprised as well but we do know that she seriously considered studying in the Netherlands. Earlier Alexia talked about it being a hard decision, so she might have really be in doubt about whether she would study abroad again or stay in the Netherlands.

Dutch Bachelor programs are often more disciplinary specific. I'm not sure a comparable program exists, so that might have been the deciding factor (her UWC/IB experience might have contributed to her perspective on what to expect from a Bachelor program). UCL as an institution is an excellent choice. And she indeed has her aunt nearby.

Last edited:
Yes and interest of the gossip magazines. Young princesses who like to party are interesting, and Alexia will certainly move in social circles that attract paparazzi. She ain't boring!
Although there may be some interest by magazines I imagine the British press will not care one iota TBH. But the freedom esp. will be in her daily life. In Groningen -or any Dutch city for that matter- everybody knows who she is. In the UK she will be anonimous for the most part. A handful of class mates may know, but I doubt they will care greatly as well and there may be a Dutch expat or tourist here or there...
Of course if she takes the Olympia of Greece route that may change, but for now she does not seem greatly interested in such society things. She never even accompanied her parents to [public] society weddings AFAIK.

Last edited:
Although there may be some interest by magazines I imagine the British press will not care one iota TBH. But the freedom esp. will be in her daily life. In Groningen -or any Dutch city for that matter- everybody knows who she is. In the UK she will be anonimous for the most part. A handful of class mates may know, but I doubt they will care greatly as well and there may be a Dutch expat or tourist here or there...
Of course if she takes the Olympia of Greece route that may change, but for now she does not seem greatly interested in such society things. She never even accompanied her parents to [public] society weddings AFAIK.
So far, it has indeed been Amalia accompanying her parents twice to a high society wedding. However, Alexia recently did accompany her parents to a huge birthday party of her friend 18-year old Alejandra Cortina Cué (daughter of 78-year old billionaire Alberto Cortina and his much younger second wife Elena Cué) on Mallorca.

I know I am nitpicking, but humour me: there were 3 weddings AFAIK? Two Waldburg weddings and one of a Spanish duchess to a son of an Argentine friend of Queen Máxima.

Yes, I remember the Mallorca birthday party - but as we have not seen images of that it is of little interest to the press.

Anyway, let's hope that she is free to focus on her studies in London and will have a great time there. Her father and uncles all studied in the Netherlands first IIRC. But times have changed and everybody has a mobile phone with a camera these days, as she must have learned at the Atlantic college already.

During the summer photo shoot -in response to a question of a journalist- she said she found that difficult and that she felt she could not always be free to do what she wanted because of it.

I doubt paps will bother her. There is no real industry for them anymore anyway. You may see pictures of even the most famous British people once in a blue moon. Used to be dreadful. UCL is an amazing university and I hope she will enjoy her time.

I guess she won't be that much 'under the radar' in that case...

However, as is to be expected, the DM doesn't understand the concept of students not living in 'student halls' - as Amalia has her own (top) floor in a canal house. While there are some student halls in the Netherlands (although each student would have their own room; shared rooms are not the norm as in some other countries), the majority lives in smaller 'student houses'. Where a group of students (often members of the same a student organization) each rents a room in an apartment or house and share kitchen and bathroom.

So, I wonder what kind of accommodations they've decided on for Alexia. Her aunt Mabel also lives in London, so she could probably provide temporary housing if needed.

Back
Top Bottom