Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 5: September-October 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that the PoW and his staff knew what questions were going to be asked by 60 Minutes. That should eliminate any potential of getting genuine answers. (I don't think that 60 Minutes would dare ask him embarassing questions like "boxers or briefs?")

Alexandria said:
As we don't know what's been said in the interview, nobody can say that Charles speaks any untruths about Diana, their relationship or anything or anybody else.

And seven, eight years after her death, and now that he is married to the woman he really loves and his sons are doing well, Charles has no real need to say anything negative about Diana. She isn't alive to counter anything he has to say, so he has everything (or at least popularity points) to say positive things about her. And he may actually mean these things he says about his ex-wife! (Imagine that!)

Well certainly their father's own words about his life, their lives, or Camilla can't be worst than what the tabloids say about William and Harry on a weekly basis.

I would think that St. James' Palace would not let Charles do something stupid on such a public scale. And in that sense, they would be protecting the Queen and the monarchy.

Hi Alexandria,

I agree with you. I think if he mentions Diana it will be in a more cautious yet fond manner, focusing on her charitable contributions and her devotion as a mother.

It will be a lot of fun to see them here as this is the first time a member of the British Royal Family has made an official visit since QEII came to the Washington in 1991.

Although, we Chicagoans are proud that the last oversees trip Diana made as HRH was to Chicago in 1996....believe you me nothing else happened in the world for 3 days while she was here...

I don't think Charles has ever said that Diana wasn't a good mother. I wouldn't expect him to say anything negative about her at all, not even a hint. If he did discuss the divorce or what not, I do believe he will only mention that he and Diana were not good together, and leave it at that.

It was a leak that said what was in the interview. Like Tiarapin said, it was a free for all. It was just done earlier so there could be editing. Am I the only one who thinks Barbra Walters should have done the interview.

Princejonnhy25 said:
Americans definetly give second chances more. But, I kinda wish Barbra Walters did the interview. That would get much more publicity than 60 minutes.

But she asks such soft questions. And then there's the obligatory moment of tears. I can just hear her now, "Do you wish that you had had a closer relationship with your parents when you were a child?" etc.

Yes but that is why I love barbra. I wonder what kinda tree prince charles is. lol

What do you think? A talking tree, of course. (Grin.)

BeccaLynn07 said:
Any idea when this interview is due to air?:confused:
I still can't find out when they're coming to the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will be right before they visit.

I think they chose 60 Minutes because they were looking for a mature style of news show in the sense of traditional reporting, not bashing Barbara, I think she is awesome, but more, how can I say this, hardcore news. 60 Minutes is that stable of a rock kind of news show that follows the tradition of reporting news as it has been since Edward R Murrow.

But, I agree, I would love to see Barbara interview them both because she would handle it in such a classy way, the same unique way she always has.

She did retire but she still comes back for special interviews. I think Prince Charles would be a special interview. 60 minutes was probably best choice for his first interview in years and first visit to the us. IT is more traditional.

ysbel said:
I still can't find out when they're coming to the US.

Softpedia indicated they're coming October or November. Shouldn't we have heard something official yet?

Lady Marmalade said:
But, I agree, I would love to see Barbara interview them both because she would handle it in such a classy way, the same unique way she always has.
I'm not sure they would be able to keep a straight face if she asked them what sort of trees they were--maybe that's why she wasn't chosen. Didn't Diana invite her to KP for lunch? That might be another reason.

Yea but it would give Prince Charles a much more relaxed and fun image.

Dimbledy speaks out

Camilla 'will be Queen', insists Prince's friend

by REBECCA ENGLISH, Daily Mail

The Duchess of Cornwall will definitely become Queen when Prince Charles accedes to the throne, one of his closest confidants has insisted.

"Formally, there is no doubt that Camilla will become Queen," said broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby, the Prince's biographer. He criticised Clarence House officials who were accused of fudging the issue in the run-up to the register office ceremony in order to defuse public hostility.

"It might have been better if Clarence House had publicly said, formally, we agree that she will be Queen but, actually, she prefers to be called Princess Consort. A bit more clarity would have been better," he said.

Mr Dimbleby's comments are due to be shown on Sunday as part of an examination of the controversial royal marriage by BBC1's Panorama entitled A Right Royal Shambles? The fact that Mr Dimbleby has allowed his views to be broadcast strongly suggests that he has done so with the prince's approval.

I think it would have been better if they just said she would be Queen. That is a long way from now and people would have gotten use to it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but Charles embarking on a new public relations campaign for Camilla doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. Public relations is not his area of expertise. I think they would be better off doing what they have been doing-fulfilling royal engagements and getting on with their life.

Gossip: Charles' love letters on sale on Ebay

From the Sun
One's net amused
trans.gif

INTERNET auctioneers eBay were last night set to withdraw love letters written by Prince Charles. The six letters to a mystery Canadian girlfriend were on offer at £40,000.

Five were written in 1976 when Charles, then a Navy officer, was said to “have a girl in every port”. The other was penned in June 1980 — a year before he married Princess Diana. The Sun discovered they were on sale. But an eBay source said last night: “They are very private. We don’t want to upset the Prince so it is likely they will be withdrawn.” Los Angeles-based royal collector Alicia Carroll was given the notes by the ex-love.

Ebay's page

Idriel said:
Los Angeles-based royal collector Alicia Carroll was given the notes by the ex-love.

Ebay's page

I feel sorry for any Crown Prince today. Any evidence of any past friendships, relationships is bound to turn up somehow. It's bound to make some of the younger royals feel paranoid about who they associate with.

Zonk1189 said:
Americans are more forgiving. We love a comeback! On another note..its is extremely risky...I believe that Charles's advisers used to refer to America as Dianaland!

Not all of us are so forgiving.

ysbel said:
Softpedia indicated they're coming October or November. Shouldn't we have heard something official yet?

That's what I was thinking....really odd that nothing official (that I know of) has been said yet. I do hope that they do come and do an interview.

Not all of us are so forgiving

Some yes, but as a society we are and we do love comebacks. We are a young nations and we like the new and future. There will probably be an announcment next week or the week after. ABC is broadcasting Good Morning America form Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle next week. The Queen has allowed it to boost tourism. The Duke of York has given an interview. I also think they are using it to build some royal hype in america so when the visit is announced it will get more attention. This visit has been thought through very carefully I must say.

Last edited:
tiaraprin said:

tiaraprin,
Given the fact that Charles & Diana were on good terms when she died and that she had expressed her wish that he & Camilla should marry I fail to see how anyone else has a right to withold forgiveness. Beside the fact that it had nothing to do with any of us, apart from our voyeuristic inclinations, we were not personally involved so we have nothing to forgive. Diana made her peace with Charles before her death and that should be the end of the story!!

wymanda said:
tiaraprin,
Given the fact that Charles & Diana were on good terms when she died and that she had expressed her wish that he & Camilla should marry I fail to see how anyone else has a right to withold forgiveness. Beside the fact that it had nothing to do with any of us, apart from our voyeuristic inclinations, we were not personally involved so we have nothing to forgive. Diana made her peace with Charles before her death and that should be the end of the story!!

Well said wymanda

As far as Charles and Camilla's proposed trip to the US is concerned, the vague dates given were late October or early November.
According to the Court Circular, Charles and Camilla will be involved with the Norwegian royal visit being held October 25 to 27 so it's likely that the US trip will be in early November.

tiaraprin said:
Amen. I don't think the US should be considered fertile ground for trying to establish a pro- Camilla base.

Nor should it be considered a no-go zone for senior members of the royal family simply because the USA has a tendency to glorify glamorous celebrities, including Diana.

caroline mathilda said:
Amen. I don't think the US should be considered fertile ground for trying to establish a pro- Camilla base.

What a ridiculous comment! Brits don't really care what people in the US think about 'their' royal family. The British Royals have no relevance to Americans so why would anyone think that there was some sort of PR value in one royal or another being popular in the US.

Some reality on the planned trip. Charles (and Camilla) are off to the US to do their job, that is to be ambassadors for Great Britain and Northern Ireland. To fly the flag so to speak. There is no official program released yet ( I checked the Official site) newspaper speculation is that they will pay their respects at Ground Zero.
Currently the UK is involved in a major tourism venture to try and get American tourists to return to the UK, since 9/11 there has been an enormous down turn in the high spending Americans visiting the UK and the tourism industry is feeling the pinch. The royals are doing their bit ( after the foot and mouth scare QEII and members of the royal family visited various tourist areas in the UK to try and get people visiting again) QEII has given permission for an American breakfast TV show to broadcast from Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and The Palace at Holyrood House in Edinburgh. ( TV crews have access to the rooms open to the public only, QEII is still at Balmoral) The Duke of York in his role of Special Ambassador for British Trade will give an interview on tourism in the UK. C & C's visit will also give much publicity in the US on the UK and the royal link. Like I said they're doing their job, Charles did his interview as a pretrip "let them know we're coming" Camilla has maintained her dignified silence and has given no interview.

Puhleese move on from this whole ridiculous pro and anti Camilla or Diana scenario!

Charlotte1 said:
What a ridiculous comment! Brits don't really care what people in the US think about 'their' royal family. The British Royals have no relevance to Americans so why would anyone think that there was some sort of PR value in one royal or another being popular in the US.

Some reality on the planned trip. Charles (and Camilla) are off to the US to do their job, that is to be ambassadors for Great Britain and Northern Ireland. To fly the flag so to speak. There is no official program released yet ( I checked the Official site) newspaper speculation is that they will pay their respects at Ground Zero.
Currently the UK is involved in a major tourism venture to try and get American tourists to return to the UK, since 9/11 there has been an enormous down turn in the high spending Americans visiting the UK and the tourism industry is feeling the pinch. The royals are doing their bit ( after the foot and mouth scare QEII and members of the royal family visited various tourist areas in the UK to try and get people visiting again) QEII has given permission for an American breakfast TV show to broadcast from Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and The Palace at Holyrood House in Edinburgh. ( TV crews have access to the rooms open to the public only, QEII is still at Balmoral) The Duke of York in his role of Special Ambassador for British Trade will give an interview on tourism in the UK. C & C's visit will also give much publicity in the US on the UK and the royal link. Like I said they're doing their job, Charles did his interview as a pretrip "let them know we're coming" Camilla has maintained her dignified silence and has given no interview.

Puhleese move on from this whole ridiculous pro and anti Camilla or Diana scenario!

At last someone talks sense! :)

More Dimbledy comments

From the Sunday Herald

Archbishop ‘refused to allow church wedding for Charles and Camilla’

THE Prince of Wales was denied a church wedding to Camilla Parker Bowles on the order of the Archbishop of Canterbury, a BBC documentary is set to reveal.

According to royal biographer Jonathan Dimbleby, who is interviewed in tonight’s Panorama, Dr Rowan Williams said a church ceremony, even though he could have granted it, would be unacceptable to religious leaders.

Dimbleby, who is Charles’s official biographer, also says in the programme that there is “no doubt” that Camilla will formally become Queen when Charles becomes King.

The royal couple, both divorcees, wed in a civil ceremony at the Guildhall in Windsor on April 9.

Dimbleby told Panorama: “There were discussions bet ween Clarence House and Lambeth Palace at the pretty high level about whether or not the Archbishop of Canterbury would grant the royal couple a religious service. “As I understand it, Lambeth Palace said that would not be possible.

Another article from IcEling
Archbishop 'denied church ceremony'

wymanda said:
tiaraprin,

You have your opinion, I have mine. I am entitled to mine and you are entitled to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom