Prince Andrew, Duke of York News and Events 8: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But what would they do if he agrees to move? Let the Lodge be empty and go totally to waste?
The Lease with the Crown estate can be terminated, and Andrew could be in line for a payout. for the remaining c55 years of the lease.

The Crown Estate could then decide what it wanted to do with the property. Over time, the property could be sold (Fort Belvedere was sold) or leased out. It is within Windsor Great Park, so that may restrict what the building could potentially be used for.

But they knew about the size of Adelaide Cottage, why did they move in then?
I think the Wales family just wanted a "normal" home for their family.

Despite what is being said in the press, I don't think W&C are that keen to take on Royal Lodge. I suspect two of their children will go to Boarding school in two years, so they will be happy to just stay at Adelaide Cottage.

But what would they do if he agrees to move? Let the Lodge be empty and go totally to waste?
It would definitely NOT be empty. William has reportedly had his eye on the property even before the death of QEII.

And he is said to be more keen than ever to live there now that he is PoW. He wants a home "befitting his status".🙄

My suspicion is that it is the prospect of handing the place over to William...who already has lavish homes at Kensington Palace and Anmer Hall...rather than to one of his daughters that galls Andrew more than anything else.

Surely William has other options befitting his rank. But other than his family, RL is all Andrew has left.

That is another good point, the lease on Royal Lodge specifically allowed him to pass it on to Beatrice or Eugenie (as far as I can recall) - the reality is would either want it? If Andrew is struggling to pay for it and maintain it I really don't see his daughters being able to. I also suspect Edo (who is the most likely to be able to afford it IMO) would rather throw any money into a property he owns outright not one is simply leasing from the Crown Estate. To be honest, one of the girls taking over a lease on Frogmore when Andrew is gone is more plausible than Royal Lodge IMO.

Honestly, I'm not sure how accurate the reports of William taking over Royal Lodge are. I think that would be a hard sell for him and his team to the public but equally, he and Charles are probably the only real ones who can afford it. Charles was one of the closest to his late grandmother, if he is happy to see it go then I think it will go out to a public tender in the long run. I'm sure they can move 'The Little House' which was a gift from Wales if they really really wanted to.

I also read that Adelaide Cottage was in fine condition, so they could move right in before the school term.

I also read that Adelaide Cottage was in fine condition, so they could move right in before the school term.
I recall that there had been recent renovations in 2015 so AC was move in ready.

Yes. He upped his horse-riding when he was appointed as Colonel of the Grenadier Guards so he could ride in Trooping the Colour. Even though he has been stripped of that position he continues to ride. He did it during covid which also allowed him to check on his parents at Windsor - not necessarily seeing them 'in person' but at least able to talk to them through windows etc or even see them while outside, within the existing rules.

He is not going to move out on his own. I think he pretends he's holding court at Frogmore, at least on his mind, and won't let go of the last remnant of royal life he has from when the Queen was around.
He can't see he is no longer needed around, nor anyone wants association with him.

What a surprise, Andrew horse riding around Windsor. That seems like the only time we ever see him anymore. Has he been so ostracized we wouldn't find him out with his family occasionally for a dinner or a movie or even a beer at the local pub. How must he spend his time?

Back
Top Bottom