Preparations for the 10th Anniversary Concert and Memorial Service

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that article does have some point. Its nice that we're going to have a concert in Diana's memory but it would be more fitting if we have a proper memorial dedicated to her.

I was thinking about the funeral procession of Diana. When her coffin passed her two sons, her brother the Earl Spencer, her former spouse the Prince of Wales and her former father-in-law the Duke of Edinburgh all of them remained silent. The Earl made the sign of a cross.

I wondered about that: isn't the making of a cross a catholic habit? Has the Earl converted to Catholicism?

Henri M. said:
I was thinking about the funeral procession of Diana. When her coffin passed her two sons, her brother the Earl Spencer, her former spouse the Prince of Wales and her former father-in-law the Duke of Edinburgh all of them remained silent. The Earl made the sign of a cross.

I wondered about that: isn't the making of a cross a catholic habit? Has the Earl converted to Catholicism?
I think, in this case, it was intended as a gesture of faith. If you'll note, when Prince Charles placed a bouquet of flowers at the foot of Diana's casket in the Abbey, he also made the sign of the cross. Many people of faith use it, Catholic or otherwise.

I've never read anywhere that the Earl converted to Catholicism, although Frances Shand Kydd did.

Henri M. said:
Has the Earl converted to Catholicism?

Yes, and for some time now (or so I have thought and heard..possibly misinformed?)

Diana - Princess of Wales' late mother also converted too (or back?) the Catholic faith.

Many people of faith use it, Catholic or otherwise.

I am of the Anglican (Protestant) faith and I cannot claim witness to seeing the sign of the cross being used when at church (not that my attendance is anything to rave about mind you.lol.). And whilst I don't dispute that its up to those who feel it appropriate, I am of the belief that it is, first and foremost, associated with Catholicsm :)

Last edited:
Okay, thank you for the quick reply. It is strange to see that catholicism seems 'en vogue' in certain parts of British society. See the Duchess of Kent, see Lord Nicholas Windsor, see also the Earl Spencer.

There was a time that the old and ancient Duke of Norfolk (the premier Peer in England) defended the honours of the Holy Motherchurch amongst the 'heresy' around him.
;)

Strange, seen in the background of such a proud and protestant nation and nobility, that catholicism has become more popular. Maybe the aristocrats appreciate the conservative attititude of the Catholics on old values (no female priests, no female bishops, no gay marriages, etc. ?)

Madame Royale said:
I am of the Anglican (Protestant) faith and I cannot claim witness to seeing the sign of the cross being used when at church (not that my attendance is anything to rave about mind you.lol.). And whilst I don't dispute that its up to those who feel it appropriate, I am of the belief that it is, first and foremost, associated with Catholicsm :)
I didn't say that it wasn't. Henri M. cited an instance where the sign was used outside of a church, and I merely said that it has become a broader gesture of faith, as well. I have seen many non-Catholics use it-including Prince Charles,and I'm fairly certain he didn't convert to Catholicism. :)

I agree Sassie.

I don't believe that the Earl Spencer has converted to the Catholic faith as well.

Thanks for the insights, but before we delve further into subjects of a religious nature we should return to the topic of the Diana commemorations.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Only a commentary I want to say: I am in opposition to the honorings to Reveille, because I think that shesuffered very much and that they should rest in peace. I do not want to go to England, fodder that the english men, specially the journalists, and persons who write books on her, her is exploit. And fodder that the honorings that they do to her it she is also to exploit it.
As if the Windsor, except her children, wanted to do an honor to her.

Skydragon said:
I admire the Princes, but there must be a better way to honour Diana than this naff pop concert.

Diana, princess of Wales would have been proud of her two sons on Tuesday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/newscomment.html?in_article_id=422544&in_page_id=1766&in_a_source=&ito=1490

The Daily Mail just can't help itself, can it? "They — with the Duchess of Cornwall waiting in the wings — may prefer the idea of a pop concert to a substantial memorial that would keep Diana's name in the public mind for ever." What does their decision have to do with the Duchess of Cornwall? And how many people are going to come away from that article with the impression that Camilla has been encouraging them to do something naff, cheap, tawdry, and transient rather than something substantial and permanent?

Elspeth said:
The Daily Mail just can't help itself, can it? "They — with the Duchess of Cornwall waiting in the wings — may prefer the idea of a pop concert to a substantial memorial that would keep Diana's name in the public mind for ever." What does their decision have to do with the Duchess of Cornwall? And how many people are going to come away from that article with the impression that Camilla has been encouraging them to do something naff, cheap, tawdry, and transient rather than something substantial and permanent?
I don't understand why the press keeps insisting there isn't such a memorial. Granted, the circular fountain isn't what people expected-but it is still a memorial. As is the playground in Kensington Gardens, the Diana memorial walk, another fountain in Australia, the 'temple' at Althorp, and another monument in India.

Not to mention, a number of programs established in Diana's name-such as the Memorial Award for Young People. After all, there's no law that says it must be crafted of stone to be a significant memorial, is there?

Sad that the press will blithely ignore all that in their eagerness to condemn Camilla.

sassie said:
I don't understand why the press keeps insisting there isn't such a memorial. Granted, the circular fountain isn't what people expected-but it is still a memorial. As is the playground in Kensington Gardens, the Diana memorial walk, another fountain in Australia, the 'temple' at Althorp, and another monument in India.

Not to mention, a number of programs established in Diana's name-such as the Memorial Award for Young People. After all, there's no law that says it must be crafted of stone to be a significant memorial, is there?

Sad that the press will blithely ignore all that in their eagerness to condemn Camilla.
I agree with you Diana does have nice memorials. It doesen't have to be carved in stone.

ZandraRae said:
Is anyone going to the concert?

I will try, but here the change of money (pesos) to dollars is very high, but if I can with the money I will try, I waiting a baby for end of may so wil be hard can go, but I will try,

sassie said:

Let's not confuse the press with the Daily Mail! :p

corazon said:
I will try, but here the change of money (pesos) to dollars is very high, but if I can with the money I will try, I waiting a baby for end of may so wil be hard can go, but I will try,

The first lot of tickets were sold within 30 minutes, the second batch will go just as quickly. I know 4 women who have tickets and are going so they can see ysbels favorites :)lol: ).

Concert and memorial service

I'm glad to see that the Princes "seem" to be taking an active role in these two projects to memorialize their mom. As someone whose mother died young (both she and I were young at her death), I understand the need to remember a dead parent, especially at significant anniversaries, such as the tenth, 15th, etc.

IMO, some users of this board are simply finding fault with the planned events because they are about DIANA, and based on their on previous comments, those users can't stand her. Fine, you don't like her or what she was. Whatever...

It is appropriate for these young men to "head up", these projects, if they actually are; or even if they are just figure-heads, to be that. After all, THEY are her sons and the ones that lost the most almost ten years ago.

skhaynie said:
I'm glad to see that the Princes "seem" to be taking an active role in these two projects to memorialize their mom. As someone whose mother died young (both she and I were young at her death), I understand the need to remember a dead parent, especially at significant anniversaries, such as the tenth, 15th, etc...
...and based on their on previous comments, those users can't stand her.

Whatever...

As anyone will tell you, every year on their loved ones birthday or date of death, they manage to remember them, without the need for a concert or indeed fanfare. These events are, IMO, in answer to the accusations from Diana fans, that her son's don't and didn't care. Even your 'seem' speaks volumes.
No, I and a lot of the still paying public, couldn't stand her but, I would object to the use of taxpayers money if it was to 'remember' any dead celebrity!

The moderators did ask us all to play nicely, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
Events

Actually, I said "seem" because none of us, as far as I can tell, actually live in the lives of these young men, so we don't know how much control they can or will exert over these events. Thus, you incorrectly interpreted my comment.

I personally think it is a nice thing that the Princes have come to an age where they feel able to do something publicly that *appears* to acknowlege what she meant to so many millions of people around the world. Granted, I know you are not one of her fans. However, her charity work meant quite a bit to the very many charities for whom she was a patron.

Perhaps they are doing this concert for the people, that, as you put it, were just "fans", but most likely, they see it as an excellent method to raise money for the very people their mom was most closely aligned to, in terms of her charity work.

As far as I have been able to read, nothing suggests that the tax-payers of the UK will be asked to pay anything for the event. Granted I'm not in the UK, but I do know something about tax-payers having to pay for public events, as can be quite common here in the US.

Last edited:
skhaynie said:
The only reason I even posted in the forum today is because I read the entire thread, beginning to end, and the tone of many posts was simply too vitriolic and hateful towards Diana and her life to be believed
And to think the mods thought they had cleaned it up! :rolleyes:
I too have read through the 'entire' thread and haven't found anything that vitriolic and hateful towards Diana, but I expect we all have different ways of reading things, depending on our mindset. :rolleyes:

Before we start descending into another round of vitriol, perhaps we could move on? skhaynie, if you think there are still posts around this thread which break our rule about insults and flames, please contact me by private message to discuss it.

Elspeth

British royals moderator

the concert is for to celebrate the diana's life and a very good moment to remenber her in an ''official'' way because in this 9 years all the 31 august the mass in kensington etc are without the boys, now we can, finally, remenber diana with her sons.
the memorial is another thing, but I think was time that william and harry working in their mother legacy, as I said before, in ter interview is very clear the support of william and hary top the diana princess of wales momerial fund, thing that we can't see before.
And is a good event to collect monay for the charity diana loved.

I think will be a great day, don't for be say, a day for enjoy the 36 years of life of diana and 15 years of work for us.

I couldn't agree more with you Corazon. This concert is one of the best ways to honour her memory. And her all of her fans will have a great time remebering her with such an enjoyable event. To the people who don't like the idea of the concert, no one is forcing you to go or to watch it on t.v.

sirhon11234 said:
To the people who don't like the idea of the concert, no one is forcing you to go or to watch it on t.v.

of course:flowers: , will be a day to celebrete and remember her with happines:rolleyes:

And why must the Princes' have (or need) a motive other than to remember their mother in a way they feel appropriate and fitting? It would seem they don't.

This is something they feel strongly about and obviously recognise the connection and impression Diana had with the wider public (not all of course), both in Britain and abroad. Making it a communal event is something which greatly embraces the memory of their late mother.

Last edited:
sirhon11234 said:
To the people who don't like the idea of the concert, no one is forcing you to go or to watch it on t.v.

As BF and I keep saying, fine as long as we are not expected to foot the bill for any of it. The G8/Make Poverty History concert cost almost £100 million for policing and allowing that half of that would have been solely for the summit, it is still a large bill. I have been unable to find published articles concerning the cost of security for the Live 8 concert in London, but, the fact that Brown let them off a £2 million tax/VAT bill and the cost of policing that, is worrying.
As for the TV, if it is shown on the BBC, then once again everyone in the UK has to pay for a licence from the BBC and some of that money would presumably be used to 'buy the rights'.
For those who live in London or will be staying in London at the time of the concert, yes it does affect us.

All of the above would also have applied to the Queen's "Party at the Palace". There were probably some who, at the time, railed against the cost and inconvenience, but were drowned out by the cheers of the crowds.

The "Party at the Palace" was broadcast on the government TV network here in Australia; no doubt a licence fee was paid to the Beeb or to ITV or whoever; no one complained, not even the local republicans.

Sometimes it's best to accept the inevitable, and let it pass without too much fuss. Diana will have the first half of the year, starting now with the Report; later on we will be looking forward to the Queen and Philip's wedding anniversary. Something for everyone in 2007, and maybe even a surprise or two. :)

Warren said:
All of the above would also have applied to the Queen's "Party at the Palace". There were probably some who, at the time, railed against the cost and inconvenience, but were drowned out by the cheers of the crowds.
Ahh but, she is our Queen, who has served this country well over a long period of time, without scandal, histrionics or hiccup!
...later on we will be looking forward to the Queen and Philip's wedding anniversary. Something for everyone in 2007, and maybe even a surprise or two. :)
Now behave yourself, I'm sure someone at the palace will let you know before any announcement! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom