Opposition to Royal Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This comment is not meant to reference any person or discussion in particular, as it concerns a general pattern in many discussions I have seen both on this forum and on other websites. I was inclined to post it in the thread Royalty/Nobility and Gender, but will rather post it here in case my interpretation is disputed.

It appears it is much more socially acceptable to criticize a female royal's choice of spouse than to criticize a male royal's choice of spouse. In discussions on the appropriateness of a princess's choice of husband, or about third parties who may disapprove of her choice, it seems posters are free to suggest the princess should not marry him or should accept the negative consequences for marrying him, without facing backlash for their views. But in discussions on the appropriateness of a prince's choice of wife, or about third parties who may disapprove of his choice, posters who argue that the prince should not marry her or should accept the negative consequences for marrying her are typically in the minority and are often subjected to severe rejoinders (including accusations of being medieval, misogynistic, racist, etc.), even in some cases when the bride is unpopular or has a checkered past.
That is certainly not the case. You should look and read all the threads about Swedish prince Carl-Philip when he was dating his current wife.

That is certainly not the case. You should look and read all the threads about Swedish prince Carl-Philip when he was dating his current wife.
oh gosh yes, and on other royal forums it was even worse than here, i swear there are some who still hold her past against her

Perhaps our recollections differ. :flowers: I have read those threads, and found that they contained many instances of what I described about discussions of princes' choices of spouse, namely:

But in discussions on the appropriateness of a prince's choice of wife, or about third parties who may disapprove of his choice, posters who argue that the prince should not marry her or should accept the negative consequences for marrying her are typically in the minority and are often subjected to severe rejoinders (including accusations of being medieval, misogynistic, racist, etc.), even in some cases when the bride is unpopular or has a checkered past.

oh gosh yes, and on other royal forums it was even worse than here, i swear there are some who still hold her past against her

Without opining on the proposition that past behavior should not be held against a chosen spouse, it seems to me to be another difference between the more generous treatment of princes' marital choices compared to the treatment of princesses' marital choices, as I rarely see it applied to the latter.

The Comte de Paris refused 3 of his Sons Weddings. Only Jacques became Duke d'Orleans
Prince Henri had to marry Duchess Marie Therese of Wurtenberg. He left her had a relation with Miceala and became Comte de Mortain.
Michel married against his Father's Will and became Comte d' Evreux
Thibaut married against his Father's Will and became Comte de la Marche.

Back
Top Bottom