New Titles for Queen Margrethe's Descendants: 2008 & 2022, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not much other than a suggestion it's conniving court officials and not Daisy responsible.

And even Tatler can't get their titles right; they never had HRH.

I wish I knew who “royal insider” Mette Dahlgaard is???;)
( There is a Danish journalist by that name, but she’s not
writing about royalty, according to her CV)

She is an investigative journalist for Berlingske, which is a serious, conservative (Copenhagener newspaper, even though it's a national newspaper, it really doesn't sell in the western half of DK). The paper is pro-monarchy but not uncritical and I'm very sure this paper is among those QMII is known to read every day.
Mette Dahlgaard is not a royalty-journalist, but her assessment of this is nevertheless to be considered serious and informed.

A "serious and informed" journalist who makes comments like:

"(...) Joachim’s children would lose their titles, while Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary’s children – Prince Christian, 17, Princess Isabella, 15, and twins Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine, 11 – will keep theirs."

– Pardon me, but an informed journalist simply wouldn't feel the need to note that :lol: A well-informed journalist would know the distinction between the two set of siblings and not bundle them together as a homogeneous group.

"Nowhere in Frederik's speech was there a mention of his only sibling."

– And why would there be? It was a speech addressing QMII as a leader, not a mother. It was a jubilee, not a birthday.

"(...) planning to relocate to Copenhagen, he quickly learnt that there was no room and not enough duties for him and his wife in the capital.

– Not enough duties? I don't recall them attempting to up their engagement count.

"But Joachim is popular with the Danish public. 'People sympathise with the prince, who has always been loyal to the throne,' says the royal insider. While Frederik played the field in his youth, Joachim settled down and had children; the model of constancy. Plus, adds the insider, 'He's perceived as the better public speaker – the more natural royal.'"

– Joachim has consistently ranked bottom in approval ratings for the past many years – he even managed to be outdone by Henrik in the end. The title debacle has not changed that. Approval ratings from December 2022 still placed him in the bottom – 41% off of Frederik. Making the above paragraph a distortion of the truth at best.

"Jim Lyngvild, a Danish designer and society figure, is aghast."

– Right, lost me there :D Simply can't take a journalist who considers Lyngvild, a professional celebrity, a source for expert knowledge serious.

________

A very Team Joachim piece. I see Jacob Heinel Jensen, who's employed by Berlingske's tabloid spinoff BT, has been interviewed as an expert. Might I be so bold and venture a guess that he doubles as one of the "insiders" quoted in that article. Speaking as a "royal expert" on record and as JM&A's go-to journalists off record :cool:

Last edited:
:previous:

M&F's children are not losing their titles - at least not right now, if ever. So that's true.

No, Frederik did not mention Joachim, which is true. - Indeed why should he? But it's not incorrect what she is saying.

The move to Copenhagen, that's Mette Dahlgaard's assessment/opinion, which we can agree with or not. It's still an assessment/opinion.

In regards to Joachim's popularity, there I do agree with you. I wonder if she somehow meant that the public sympathize with him. And to a considerable extent people do, in this case. Believing that it was no way for QMII to treat her son.

Jim Lyngvild is a self-proclaimed super royalist, but he is not afraid to voice a negative opinion about the DRF either. I believe I came across a headline the other day about him not being too impressed about how this was handled. - Didn't bother reading it though.

The BT dude... Yes, he is in the habit of interviewing himself in BT, something I find comical. But if no one else call you a royal expert, you can do it yourself...
I doubt however that the journalists on Berlingske have that much respect for the journalists on BT, even though they belong to the same publishing house.
The journalists on Politiken are not too impressed with the journalists on Ekstra Bladet, even though these two papers also belongs to the same publishing house. Not the same as Berlingske and BT - they are in fact competitors, not least for the market in Copenhagen.

So I still find Mette Dahlgaard's take serious. And as I stated, she is not a royal reporter.

:previous: Indeed, she's no royal reporter. And perhaps that's exactly why I don't find her input particularly informed.

Obviously it's true that Frederik's kids retain their titles. So much so that no truly well-informed journalist would have felt a need to mention it as Frederik and Joachim's children were never each other's titular equals to begin with. The mere mention of Frederik's children's titles makes it sound like Frederik's kids were "allowed" to keep their titles when Joachim's were not. Which is extremely inept reporting to me.

Likewise, her mention of the speech also creates a narrative that Frederik purposefully left out Joachim when, in reality, there wasn't really any reason to mention him to begin with as it wasn't a speech to "mom Daisy" but to "boss Daisy". Dahlgaard may well be factually correct about these things but the inflated importance of insignificant facts help create a misconstrued narrative.

And as for shamelessly interweaving her own opinion... AFAIK the article isn't an opinion piece and as such, the author's own opinion shouldn't be reflected.

Lastly, and not really a discussion for here, but as someone with "insider" knowledge (to use Mette Dahlgaard's own term) there's a much closer affiliation between BT and Belingske than there is between Ekstra Bladet and Politiken ;)

:previous: Indeed, she's no royal reporter. And perhaps that's exactly why I don't find her input particularly informed.

Perhaps, but it doesn't disqualify her from writing this piece. Could be that Tatler decided to get the opinion of a serious journalist from a serious newspaper?

Obviously it's true that Frederik's kids retain their titles. So much so that no truly well-informed journalist would have felt a need to mention it as Frederik and Joachim's children were never each other's titular equals to begin with. The mere mention of Frederik's children's titles makes it sound like Frederik's kids were "allowed" to keep their titles when Joachim's were not. Which is extremely inept reporting to me.

Likewise, her mention of the speech also creates a narrative that Frederik purposefully left out Joachim when, in reality, there wasn't really any reason to mention him to begin with as it wasn't a speech to "mom Daisy" but to "boss Daisy". Dahlgaard may well be factually correct about these things but the inflated importance of insignificant facts help create a misconstrued narrative.

That is of course your interpretation.
It's no more biased or inept than works from other journalists who are linked/quoted in posts here on TRF.

And as for shamelessly interweaving her own opinion... AFAIK the article isn't an opinion piece and as such, the author's own opinion shouldn't be reflected.

I disagree with you here, I read this as an opinion piece.

It's not different from the foreign correspondent Ulla Terkelsen, who is a very good journalist. She usually comments of royalty stuff, the DRF but also in particular the BRF. And I have often found that her opinions and interpretations regarding the BRF would no doubt differ considerably from that of most the British members here. But her assessments are nevertheless serious, albeit also very entertaining.
It is in that light I view this piece.
Right now there more than five million different opinions about this topic, in DK alone. Mette Dahlgaard is but one of them, but being from a serious journalist, I do find it to be a serious input worth reading.
Whether you, the reader, agree or not, is another matter.

Lastly, and not really a discussion for here, but as someone with "insider" knowledge (to use Mette Dahlgaard's own term) there's a much closer affiliation between BT and Belingske than there is between Ekstra Bladet and Politiken ;)

Well, it could hardly be worse. :lol:
Ekstra Bladet and Politiken is like comparing the Guardian with the Express.

Mette wrote for a foreign audience that doesn't know about this and who, in many cases, might not know anything about the royal family at all besides Crown Princess Mary and maybe Queen Margrethe.
Personally I have no problems with "regular" journalists writing about the royal family. I'd rather prefer it since they are less fawning than the royal reporters and bring a much needed dose of reality to the duckpond that is royal reporting.
I have no idea how close the different newspapers are, but it's a fact that the two Jacobins from BT and Berlingske often work together with Steen Olsen a frequent guest at Heinel Jensen's podcast.

Of course I cannot rule out that Mette Dahlgaard who usually covers
more serious subjects at “Berlingeren” fell for the temptation of selling
a piece to the Tatler, which, by the way, has covered the DRF title issue
earlier.
However we Danes don’t know her as a “ royal insider” and her Tatler piece,
is not exactly an example of serious, deep digning journalism! The final straw
was qouting Jim Lyngvild, the local dandy, who has an opinion on everything, whether he’s been asked or not and whether he knows anything about it,
or not!

Perhaps, but it doesn't disqualify her from writing this piece. Could be that Tatler decided to get the opinion of a serious journalist from a serious newspaper?

I disagree with you here, I read this as an opinion piece.

It's not different from the foreign correspondent Ulla Terkelsen, who is a very good journalist. She usually comments of royalty stuff, the DRF but also in particular the BRF. And I have often found that her opinions and interpretations regarding the BRF would no doubt differ considerably from that of most the British members here. But her assessments are nevertheless serious, albeit also very entertaining.
It is in that light I view this piece.
Right now there more than five million different opinions about this topic, in DK alone. Mette Dahlgaard is but one of them, but being from a serious journalist, I do find it to be a serious input worth reading.
Whether you, the reader, agree or not, is another matter.

And that's fine but if that was the author's intention to write an opinion piece, then it should be branded as such. Instead, it's presented as a feature.

Difference between Ulla Therkelsen and this author, I imagine, is that Therkelsen is actually relatively well-informed about the DRF. You don't have to be a royal reporter to be genuinely well-informed about the information you're relaying. That's not the vibe Dahlgaard gives me with this piece.

That is of course your interpretation.
It's no more biased or inept than works from other journalists who are linked/quoted in posts here on TRF.

True, but I expected a bit more than pseudo-tabloid journalism from a Tatler piece. Maybe that's my mistake :lol:

Mette wrote for a foreign audience that doesn't know about this and who, in many cases, might not know anything about the royal family at all besides Crown Princess Mary and maybe Queen Margrethe.

All the more reason to be careful what kind of narrative you're creating!

Fair enough, we can disagree on the validity of this opinion piece, and that's it.

However, this does represent an opinion and view by a serious journalist working for a serious paper.
This is not grabbed out of thin air. This is something they discuss among her fellow journalists on Berlingske and something she and her friends, who presumably come from a similar segment of the population, also discuss.
So in that perspective, it is interesting.

Because this differs from say the BT guy Jacob, who admittedly is pretty sympathetic towards Joachim and his family.

It also differs from the random comments by readers on Instagram or Ekstra Bladet (Their comments section is an open sewer!) or the professional (and far from always well informed) opinion makers who fight for headlines.
I think it's good to have sound analysis and opinion from someone else than you and me for example. We can agree or not, be critical or not, but it's an angle worth reading IMO.

However, apart from a very select few, no one really knows what is behind all this. In fact I suspect the total number is less than the fingers on a hand.
I don't. You don't. Mette Dahlgaard don't. Nor does any Dane you'd care to stop on the street. - So all we have left is speculation and opinions.

Anyway, we are getting off topic and this is after all about the stripping of titles. ;)

In fact there was a pretty good discussion going on in this thread over the past week, I'd personally like to see that continued.

Last edited:
Does that mean that Isabella,Vincent and Josephine will also be reduced from Prince/Princesses to Count/Countesses some day?

Yesterday Nikolai has created an instagram account open to the public:

** instagram account **

Is it really Nikolai? If it is then the name nikolaitildanmark really shows that he's not ready to let things go.

The account is confirmed as belonging to Nikolai.

Well, as he is still in The Line of Succession, he technically is Nikolai to Denmark.

There is no doubt in my mind, that this is indeed Nikolai demonstratively pointing out that he is still here - and still more or less royal as well, I suppose.

- Is it understandable? Yeah, I guess. If it's true that he hasn't even spoken to QMII since before it was announced he was to become a count only, then there sure are some very hurt feelings, that really ought to be addressed.
But a part of me also thinks: Sorry, Nikolai. Tough for you - but it is only tough for you. Accept it and move on. - And he was bound to lose his title anyway.
The window in which you can angle and get some public sympathy will inevitably close and then no once cares about this, but a resentful Nikolai.

I do wonder if his.... shall we say... disappointment, is being nurtured. The BT dude is again writing about this on BT (behind a paywall) and his angling has always been on the side of Joachim, Alexandra and their children in particular.
That's good stuff to write about, but as usual I have difficulty distinguishing where the reporter, Jacob Heinel's reporting becomes his personal opinion. He has an interest in keeping this story going, because it means column inches for him as well as TV-time, being the self-proclaimed royal expert that he is.
But I'm sure Alexandra is also still furious, so I don't think she has tried to persuade her son not to use this title for his account.

Felix however, once again I notice that Felix is absent. Not a word, no comments to the press, no account with a... statement.
I think Felix is choosing the healthy option.

Thank you, Muhler. Even though it is paywalled, could you post the BT article confirming it is Count Nikolai's account?

Relatedly, Oskar Aanmoen has written that "the Danish press" reported the following information, but he has not given credit to the press source by name. (Unfortunately, this seems to be a frequent problem with Royal Central's reporting.) Can any posters identify the original article(s) in the Danish press which he is paraphrasing?

Despite the removal of their titles, it appears that Prince Joachim’s children have retained their titles in the Danish civil registry, according to a review by Danish press. The review notes that Count Nikolai and Count Felix are still listed as Princes, and they are styled as ‘Their Highnesses’.

The fact that they are still registered in the civil registry with princely titles means that Nikolai and Felix still have princely titles on official documents such as insurance papers or passports if they were to apply for them now. It is reported that this is the decision made by Prince Joachim’s children themselves.

The Ministry of Social Affairs, Housing, and the Elderly told the press press that individuals are responsible for changing their names unless they are under 18 years of age. The Ministry also states that there are no official guidelines for when to change one’s name.

A spokesperson to Countess Alexandra says the counts will soon submit changes to their titles in the register.

The spokeswoman said ‘some trips have been booked for the boys’, and they will continue to use their old titles and titles during these trips, but will change their names once completed.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/d...-to-still-be-using-their-royal-titles-185928/

I find it very peculiar that the monarch apparently has no control over whether someone is named as a prince in their civil registry, insurance papers and passports. (But perhaps I should not be so surprised, given that two years ago a Belgian court took it upon themselves to confer royal titles on someone without the king's consent.) So based on the comment from the Ministry, I suppose that legally, any Danish citizen can register themself as a Prince/Princess on their official documents if they wish?

Thank you, Muhler. Even though it is paywalled, could you post the BT article confirming it is Count Nikolai's account?

Relatedly, Oskar Aanmoen has written that "the Danish press" reported the following information, but he has not given credit to the press source by name. (Unfortunately, this seems to be a frequent problem with Royal Central's reporting.) Can any posters identify the original article(s) in the Danish press which he is paraphrasing?

https://royalcentral.co.uk/europe/d...-to-still-be-using-their-royal-titles-185928/

I find it very peculiar that the monarch apparently has no control over whether someone is named as a prince in their civil registry, insurance papers and passports. (But perhaps I should not be so surprised, given that two years ago a Belgian court took it upon themselves to confer royal titles on someone without the king's consent.) So based on the comment from the Ministry, I suppose that legally, any Danish citizen can register themself as a Prince/Princess on their official documents if they wish?

I don't see anything in the Minister's statement that would lead to the conclusion that Danish citizens can register themselves as Princes or Princesses on their official documents if they wish. What I understand from the Minister's statement is that a person who is already listed in the civil registry under a particular name has to apply for a name change (unless he or she is a minor). That also applies in particular to someone who is already registered as Prince/Princess xxx. Apparently the State cannot initiate a name change in the registry on its own without the consent of name bearer.

Again, that goes back to the unfortunate confusion between names and titles.

Last edited:
Sure, but not much help I think:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/grev-nikolai-gaar-solo-har-oprettet-sin-egen-instagram-profil
https://www.bt.dk/royale/sender-gre...b-til-dronningen-her-er-forklaringen-bag-hans
https://www.bt.dk/royale/bts-royale-korrespondent-jacob-heinel-jensen-om-grev-nikolais-nyeste-skridt

As for titles, the answer is no. It's up to the Monarch to bestow (or remove) royal titles, and also at least bestow noble titles. I can't call myself prince.

As is pointed out it is up to the individual citizen to ensure that names are correct and make corrections if not. - And as such also royal titles.

I suppose the DRF can ultimately sue Joachim's children for misusing royal titles. And in that case the DRF will win hands down.

But I guess that Nikolai (it appears mostly to be about him) will eventually get a letter from the relevant ministry about correcting his title, or from a DRF lawyer.
I'm also very sure that Nikolai and Felix have diplomatic passports, belonging to the DRF until a month ago. I imagine they will be recalled at some point as well and then Nikolai will have to be issued a new passport - and then he's got a problem. I doubt very much he will continue to get away with calling himself prince, if he should think about doing that.

- After all it's still a new thing. It will work out somehow.
They will have to come up with a last name eventually and that will be it.
After all, what's the point? If Nikolai somehow insists on labeling himself prince until the point of being sued, I think the public will view it as pretty silly.
Without knowing anything about the legal consequences I imagine that after Nikolai has lost a court ruling, he will be told to make the relevant changes ASAP. If he refuse, the relevant ministry will eventually do it for him.

- As for M&F's children. We don't know what will happen.
Unless they give up their titles I suppose they will keep their royal titles, but apart from Christian none of their children will get or keep a royal title.
Hopefully this mess will lead to some sort of procedure being laid out, so that everybody know how and when changes takes place in regards to titles.

- The spare-problem still remains.
Until Christian marries and have at least one child, the issue about Isabella and any children she may have is in some kind of limbo.
Because Christian can die/become incapacitated/declared unsuited/resign.
His children can die... etc.

- The ideal solution would be to find a proper match for him somewhere, subject her to a number of tests, including a fertility test and have them marry. Of course Christian will have to undergo a fertility test as well.
That should fix it. :D
I don't think cloning will be an option for quite some time.

- Buuuut somehow I don't think that will be acceptable... :ermm:
People are so fuzzy. ?
And that leaves Isabella in the role Joachim has or had until relatively recently.

So something has to be worked out.

You're assuming Nikolai would lose a lawsuit.

Courts have awarded princely titles to more controversial people who've never held them, let alone someone who did his whole life and was stripped for no sound reason.

Does that mean that Isabella,Vincent and Josephine will also be reduced from Prince/Princesses to Count/Countesses some day?

Not necessarily.
Isabella, Vincent and Josephine are not in the same boat as Nikolai, Felix, Henrik and Athena. All 7 are grandchildren of the Queen, but I,V,J are children of the Heir, Crown Prince Frederik.

Isabella, Vincent and Josephine will, in the future (if all goes to plan) be children of the monarch, Frederik X. Joachim's kids will not be children of the monarch.
Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, will be like Benedikte and Joachim, who have not lost their titles, non-heirs but children of the King/Queen. :flowers:

Last edited:
I suppose the DRF can ultimately sue Joachim's children for misusing royal titles. And in that case the DRF will win hands down.

But I guess that Nikolai (it appears mostly to be about him) will eventually get a letter from the relevant ministry about correcting his title, or from a DRF lawyer.
I'm also very sure that Nikolai and Felix have diplomatic passports, belonging to the DRF until a month ago. I imagine they will be recalled at some point as well and then Nikolai will have to be issued a new passport - and then he's got a problem. I doubt very much he will continue to get away with calling himself prince, if he should think about doing that.

- After all it's still a new thing. It will work out somehow.
They will have to come up with a last name eventually and that will be it.
After all, what's the point? If Nikolai somehow insists on labeling himself prince until the point of being sued, I think the public will view it as pretty silly.

Without knowing anything about the legal consequences I imagine that after Nikolai has lost a court ruling, he will be told to make the relevant changes ASAP. If he refuse, the relevant ministry will eventually do it for him.

If Nikolai were to be ordered to cease and desist, though, he could direct the Queen's representatives to the fact that the Queen herself has, for decades, supported her youngest sister and her husband, the former king and queen of Greece, in continuing to call themselves by royal titles which have been officially removed from them.

While the Queen's actions are no different with the actions of other European monarchs, I am not sure how she could argue in good faith that the same behavior she fully accepts from her sister is unacceptable from her grandson.

Sure, but not much help I think:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/grev-nikolai-gaar-solo-har-oprettet-sin-egen-instagram-profil
https://www.bt.dk/royale/sender-gre...b-til-dronningen-her-er-forklaringen-bag-hans
https://www.bt.dk/royale/bts-royale-korrespondent-jacob-heinel-jensen-om-grev-nikolais-nyeste-skridt

As for titles, the answer is no. It's up to the Monarch to bestow (or remove) royal titles, and also at least bestow noble titles. I can't call myself prince.

As is pointed out it is up to the individual citizen to ensure that names are correct and make corrections if not. - And as such also royal titles.

Thank you for the links, Muhler.

As for the titles: As Nikolai and Felix are apparently still legally documented as Prince in their civil registry, passport, etc., isn't there a very strong case that they remain legally princes, regardless of the monarch says? After all, over in British royal watching, there are numerous people who argue that certain grandchildren of British monarchs who are not even registered as princes/ses in their official documents are "legally princes/ses" on the basis of a century-old document that does not name them personally. The legal evidence in the Danish case is much more substantive.

I don't see anything in the Minister's statement that would lead to the conclusion that Danish citizens can register themselves as Princes or Princesses on their official documents if they wish. What I understand from the Minister's statement is that a person who is already listed in the civil registry under a particular name has to apply for a name change (unless he or she is a minor). That also applies in particular to someone who is already registered as Prince/Princess xxx. Apparently the State cannot initiate a name change on its own without the consent of name bearer.

Again, that goes back to the unfortunate confusion between names and titles.

True, my last comment probably went too far. As you say, the Ministry seems to view Prince and Highness (are they registered as Prince to Denmark or simply Prince?) as part of the name, but that raises further questions because, for example, the name law permits all Danish citizens to pass their surnames on to their children. Would the logical conclusion be that Nikolai can register his future children with the "name" of Princess and Prince without the Queen/King's permission, then?

You're assuming Nikolai would lose a lawsuit.

Courts have awarded princely titles to more controversial people who've never held them, let alone someone who did his whole life and was stripped for no sound reason.

That is why I am a fan of Spanish royal title regulations. The Royal Decree that specifies the titles of the RF says that, except for the persons that fall under the categories listed in the Decree, no one in Spain may call himself Prince of Asturias or Infante of Spain for example. No ambiguity then.

Suing Nikolai on a violation of a royal prerogative rather than a law can be tricky, but it is probably not impossible.

In any case, regardless of whether Nikolai had a right to keep his title on the civil registry or not, not asking for a change in the registry is an act of open defiance against the Queen’s will and authority. Frankly , I don’t think Daisy should put up with that. If I were in her place, I would be extremely annoyed by that kind of attitude.

Last edited:
In any case, regardless of whether Nikolai had a right to keep his title on the civil registry or not, not asking for a change in the registry is an act of open defiance against the Queen’s wish and authority. Frankly , I don’t think Daisy should put up with that. If I were in her place, I would be extremely annoyed by that kind of attitude.

I agree with the majority of your analysis, but for many decades Queen Margrethe II has supported her sister Anne-Marie and brother-in-law Constantine in acting with the same open defiance against their government's wish and authority in royal title matters. Would she be prepared to argue that her own decisions on titles as an unelected monarch are entitled to more respect than the decisions on titles made by a democratically elected government?

(While Constantine was initially deposed and exiled by a dictatorship, my understanding is that both the abolition of the monarchy and the withdrawal of the former monarch's kingly title were confirmed by subsequent democratically elected governments.)

Last edited:
If Nikolai were to be ordered to cease and desist, though, he could direct the Queen's representatives to the fact that the Queen herself has, for decades, supported her youngest sister and her husband, the former king and queen of Greece, in continuing to call themselves by royal titles which have been officially removed from them.

While the Queen's actions are no different with the actions of other European monarchs, I am not sure how she could argue in good faith that the same behavior she fully accepts from her sister is unacceptable from her grandson.

Well, he can argue until the cows come home. It's solely up to the Monarch to grant and remove titles within the DRF, except in regards to the Heir.

As I see it, the court will simply ask: Do you have the Monarch's permission to use that title? - No.
And then the court will tell him to fix that ASAP or get fined or rule that the Monarch is allowed to instruct the government, i.e the relevant ministry to make the change for him.
Something like that.

Thank you for the links, Muhler.

As for the titles: As Nikolai and Felix are apparently still legally documented as Prince in their civil registry, passport, etc., isn't there a very strong case that they remain legally princes, regardless of the monarch says? After all, over in British royal watching, there are numerous people who argue that certain grandchildren of British monarchs who are not even registered as princes/ses in their official documents are "legally princes/ses" on the basis of a century-old document that does not name them personally. The legal evidence in the Danish case is much more substantive.

British law is based on court-rulings, Danish law isn't.
As I see it Nikolai has no case.
Titles within the DRF are granted or removed by the Monarch only.
The precedence for the Monarch making such decisions go back to the very beginning. - Certainly since 1660, with the introduction of Absolutism, it became set in stone that the Monarch decided, period.
That's continued in connection with the first democratic Constitution of 1849. I.e. the Monarch handles issues within the DRF.

- It's actually an interesting question as to whether QMII even needs to take this to court. Because she actually has the theoretic right to make rulings (and impose sentences) in regards to DRF members.
It's pretty much down to whether Nikolai is a full member of the DRF = he is under the jurisdiction of QMII.
Or whether he is a common citizen = he falls under the jurisdiction of the courts.
- If he has a diplomatic passport and he is still officially listed as prince, that means he has immunity and falls under the jurisdiction of QMII.
But once his immunity is gone, he is a commoner and he can be dragged in front of a judge.
Both ways Nikolai is pretty much screwed!

True, my last comment probably went too far. As you say, the Ministry seems to view Prince and Highness (are they registered as Prince to Denmark or simply Prince?) as part of the name, but that raises further questions because, for example, the name law permits all Danish citizens to pass their surnames on to their children. Would the logical conclusion be that Nikolai can register his future children with the "name" of Princess and Prince without the Queen/King's permission, then?

Nope, that's a title. A title commoners can't use.
I doubt it's legal to name yourself or your child prince or princess in DK. Even though the name rules have been relaxed quite a bit, your name still has to be approved according to the law regarding permitted names. (*) You can't call yourself or your children anything you want.
It's another matter if you are a foreign citizen moving to DK.

(*) The law was originally intended to prevent people from giving their children un-Christian, blasphemous, insulting or lewd names and also to protect the children from being mocked because their parents gave them a silly name.
Examples: I believe you can call yourself Rainbow Jensen = Regnbue Jensen or alternatively Peter Regnbue. But I seriously doubt you can call yourself Stoker Jensen = Fyrbøder Jensen, alternatively Peter Fyrbøder.
Also: A number of names, including my (and by extension my family's) surname is protected. No one can use our surname without my permission. It's not an uncommon surname in Norway, but it is here in DK, and it's protected. My great-grandparents bought the right to that surname. (That's incidentally one of the reasons why I'm very evasive about my ID.) So prince and princess are presumably protected as well, even if they are not covered by the law regarding names.

I suggest you write Jon Bloch Skipper from Billed Bladet, he actually knows what he is talking about, usually.
I doubt the Ministry of Justice or the court would answer such a hypothetical question.

Not necessarily.
Isabella, Vincent and Josephine are not in the same boat as Nikolai, Felix, Henrik and Athena. All 7 are grandchildren of the Queen, but I,V,J are children of the Heir, Crown Prince Frederik.

Isabella, Vincent and Josephine will, in the future (if all goes to plan) be children of the monarch, Frederik X. Joachim's kids will not be children of the monarch.
Isabella, Vincent and Josephine, will be like Benedikte and Joachim, who have not lost their titles, non-heirs but children of the King/Queen. :flowers:

True. On the other hand, the announcement on Prince Joachim's children's titles explicitly referred to it as an "extension" of decisions in 2008 and 2016 which applied to all grandchildren of Margrethe II with the exception of Prince Christian, and the Crown Princess stated that their own children's titles will be "looked at" in the future.

Further details here: https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...nts-2008-and-2022-a-16845-69.html#post2520251

Besides, wasn't the excuse for taking their titles away to give them more freedom to make their own way...well, Nikolai is doing just that it seems. He is no longer part of the royal house as it were being deprived of the title he was born with so he can do as he pleases. Isn't that, once again, the whole excuse for this whole mess? Oh and since he was "set free" from the chains that come with his birth title, he does not need anyone's approval for what he names his Instagram account or what he posts on that account or any other social media account he wishes to sign up for. Maybe QMII did not think this whole thing through properly and the consequences of her actions.

"Excuse" suggests you don't believe the given explanation in the announcement of removing the royal titles. What is it that you believe was the true motivation?

As the other European monarchs who have made similar changes have offered similar justifications, do you also believe it was an excuse in those cases?

As for the freedom to use royal titles on Instagram: The explanation for the change was that it would enable the grandchildren to "shape their own lives to a much greater extent without being limited by the special considerations and duties that a formal affiliation with the Royal House of Denmark as an institution involves". Usage of royal titles indicates a formal affiliation with the Royal House of Denmark. I find it very hard to believe that taking away the royal titles was intended to give them more freedom to use those same royal titles on social media.

Gee...so much confusion. You'd think given the reason QMII gave that she had been thinking about this for such a long time you'd think all these pesky details would have been ironed out before the press release dropped on that September day. I mean, it would make sense to figure out all these logistical issues about title changes on documents and do some actual research on the red tape of such a decision. Don't they have advisors for this stuff? Were they properly consulted? Was the procedure laid out for how all these title changes would be done on legal documents, etc? Will a birth certificate need to be re-issued as well? what other documents need to be changed? school records?, etc.? Again, all things that should have been ironed out before the cat was let out of the bag.

No wonder Lene B. said not all things had been cleared up.....shocker...obviously.

And yeah...the reason was flimsy then and it is flimsy now for removing these titles and not making it an issue of going forward.

Nope, that's a title. A title commoners can't use.

I hope that is true. Please communicate that to the ministry spokesperson who (if Oskar Aanmoen's summary is correct) referred to the possible removal of "prince" and "Highness" from the civil registry as a name change. ;)

Well, he can argue until the cows come home. It's solely up to the Monarch to grant and remove titles within the DRF, except in regards to the Heir.
[...]I suggest you write Jon Bloch Skipper from Billed Bladet, he actually knows what he is talking about, usually.

Since this was in response to my comment about Queen Margrethe II's persistence in calling her sister and brother-in-law King and Queen of Greece after the removal of those titles by the Greek government, is it your understanding that these usages were actually grants of the Danish monarch?

I know that Jon Bloch Skipper claims the monarch has no authority to change the title of the heir - we have had this discussion many times before - but I remain in disagreement with Mr. Bloch Skipper, as neither the Constitution nor any other law of which I am aware restricts the monarch's prerogative over royal titles.

https://www.ft.dk/-/media/pdf/publikationer/english/my_constitutional_act_with_explanations.ashx

- It's actually an interesting question as to whether QMII even needs to take this to court. Because she actually has the theoretic right to make rulings (and impose sentences) in regards to DRF members.
It's pretty much down to whether Nikolai is a full member of the DRF = he is under the jurisdiction of QMII.
Or whether he is a common citizen = he falls under the jurisdiction of the courts.

I can't locate any reference to members of the royal house/royal family being exempt from the jurisdiction of the courts in the current Constitution (see above link). Could you tell me what that is based on?

And yeah...the reason was flimsy then and it is flimsy now for removing these titles and not making it an issue of going forward.

If this reason is flimsy, then the reason for limiting titles going forward without removing them from this generation is flimsier. If Nikolai remained a prince for life, his children would have a very strong case that their father was permitted to have a free private life and career but also carry a Prince title, so why should they, his children, not also enjoy both freedom and a royal title, just like their father did?

And again, I think it is worth remembering that unlike members of most other European royal families, Nikolai and his siblings were already expected to lose their titles on marriage, as their spokesperson has repeatedly stated.

Fair enough, we can disagree on the validity of this opinion piece, and that's it.

However, this does represent an opinion and view by a serious journalist working for a serious paper.
This is not grabbed out of thin air. This is something they discuss among her fellow journalists on Berlingske and something she and her friends, who presumably come from a similar segment of the population, also discuss.
So in that perspective, it is interesting.

Because this differs from say the BT guy Jacob, who admittedly is pretty sympathetic towards Joachim and his family.

Thank you to tommy100 for the article and Muhler for putting the piece into context.

The article does not present any bombshells. Whatever their truth value, the claims made by Ms. Dahlgren's anonymous sources (that the Prince Couple's move to Copenhagen in 2014 was perceived as crossing into the Crown Prince Couple's territory, the Queen's advisers encouraged her to make the decision herself rather than leaving it to King Frederik, Queen Margrethe II shies away from conflict and awkward conversations and does not realize how un-modern it is to send a courtier to deliver news to her family, and Prince Joachim's anger took the court by surprise) are almost identical to the speculations on forums like these. However, a few passages did catch my eye:

Meanwhile, the Danish royal court has so far declined to spell out the benefits of a slimmed-down royal family, why the title of prince or princess should limit Joachim’s children’s lives and if anything should have been done differently. And while it isn’t uncommon for royal families around Europe to strip close family members of titles, there are lessons for King Charles to learn, notes Jacob Heinel Jensen, royal correspondent for Danish newspaper BT. ‘The crisis exploded because Prince Joachim and his family felt it was a direct attack on his children and no one inside the palace seemed to listen,’ he says.

It seems Ms. Dahlgren believes it would have been better to "spell out the benefits of a slimmed-down royal family, why the title of prince or princess should limit Joachim’s children’s lives and if anything should have been done differently". Perhaps she is right. The Belgian court did exactly that in 2015: The Palace briefed the media that the King hoped to minimize the number of royals who might exploit their status to advance their careers or damage the monarchy through their indiscretions.

On the other hand, the Belgian royal house has had a sustained stream of public scandals and rocky family relationships. So I wonder if similar briefings from the Danish court might have broken up what the article says was a "picture of harmony" up until the announcement - although that might still be preferable to the current outcome.

Yet the palace’s less-than-tactful handling of the announcement has led to fierce criticism of the otherwise greatly respected Margrethe. The tabloid media have called her ‘Ice Queen’ and ‘Crazy Daisy’, referring to her nickname, Daisy.​

It is a pity that female monarchs continue to be subjected to sexist nicknaming like "Crazy Daisy" (at least, I don't think King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, who has gotten into much more serious trouble in the past, has been labeled in that manner).

As the mother of his two elder children, Nikolai and Felix, [Countess Alexandra] saw first-hand the impact of the queen’s statement: ‘They’ll always have the sense of duty they grew up with, whatever they do in the future,’ she tells Tatler via a spokesperson. ‘They can’t start living private lives now – it’s too late,’ she adds, pointing out that the princes have spent their entire lives in the spotlight.​

Is that truly how it is? There are many people who were famous in their early 20s but eventually manage to lead completely private lives. I also wonder at what point it became "too late" in the Countess's assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a tiny point about the final paragraph in your last post Tatiana Maria. Yes there are indeed many people who were famous all their lives up until their early twenties and then led private lives.

However I’m not sure how many of them came from a tiny country like Denmark and who had been related to and identified in the public mind to that country’s monarch and HOS. Nor anyone whose parents were so well known in that country. I’ve got a feeling it is going to be very difficult for the brothers unless they choose to live away from Denmark which imo would be sad.

"[Countess Alexandra] saw first-hand the impact of the queen’s statement: ‘They’ll always have the sense of duty they grew up with, whatever they do in the future,’ she tells Tatler via a spokesperson. ‘They can’t start living private lives now – it’s too late,’ she adds, pointing out that the princes have spent their entire lives in the spotlight."

JNor anyone whose parents were so well known in that country. I’ve got a feeling it is going to be very difficult for the brothers unless they choose to live away from Denmark which imo would be sad.

Hmmm, I mean, we are talking about the two professional fashion models here, right?

So, it is a bit over the top to talk of "duty" here, like their mother does: No military career, not even a slightly longer service, no years long studies to prepare for the royal duties, nothing...

And, how Prince Harry said, asked about being perhaps stripped of his titles: What difference would it make? And that is absolutely right - He will be always a very prominent person. The only difference to the now ex-Princes from Denmark is, that they are from a tiny country, so a bit dubious in their VIP-status.

At this point, I am ready for Alexandra to be stripped of her title.
I find her comments to be irresponsible and damaging. Also if her sons are no longer Princes why should she remain a Countess?

Is that truly how it is? There are many people who were famous in their early 20s but eventually manage to lead completely private lives. I also wonder at what point it became "too late" in the Countess's assessment.

Just a tiny point about the final paragraph in your last post Tatiana Maria. Yes there are indeed many people who were famous all their lives up until their early twenties and then led private lives.

However I’m not sure how many of them came from a tiny country like Denmark and who had been related to and identified in the public mind to that country’s monarch and HOS. Nor anyone whose parents were so well known in that country. I’ve got a feeling it is going to be very difficult for the brothers unless they choose to live away from Denmark which imo would be sad.

It worked perfectly fine for the three Rosenborg siblings (including Elisabeth) who largely faded away from the public eye as they grew older and the two boys married. They turned up at official banquets and celebrations, but besides that they led private lives. Even the still living Count Ingolf and his wife Countess Susie who performs official duties lead private lives.
To me it's all about the Monpezats making a personal choice how to handle this. The Rosenborgs have all spoken about what the effects of the referendum of 1953 meant to them and their parents, but they've always said that they accepted what had happened and that there was no use crying over spilled milk. If anything they felt sorry for their parents. Naturally what we've heard are them speaking many years after the fact and not a few days, week and months after like Nikolai, but I'm still positive that his parents having a week-long cry out in the media have not helped him handle it as well as he could have if he hadn't had the whole world watching.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom