Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't doubt at all that Marius' family knew that he has mental and substance issues. What were they supposed to do go make him stand in the town square with a sign around his neck listing his diagnoses? When he caught with drugs in 2017, he did not screech, "do you know who my mother is??!!?? my stepfather??!!" He did not call in the royal cavalry to get him out of that jam, in fact, if I understand what was posted, he tried to not be noticed by a friend of his mother, and from there he paid the fine. The question I posed earlier was does the Norwegian media report on, including names, of people who get caught in possession of cocaine? If no, I don't see a cover up. if yes, then the questions need to be asked why Marius did not get reported on.

I don't doubt that his social circle is Oslo is small and his Marius' social circle knew that he has mental and substance issues, and I suspect that some knew about his violence towards his partners. A thought that occurred to me was that one or more persons in the latest partner's circle probably warned her against him, and she was encouraged to reach out if things went bad, which they did. She contacted a friend who got her to get medical treatment and I assume from there that is how law enforcement became involved. I think that it was reported that the media knew about Marius' partying ways / drug use and did not report on his lifestyle. I don't recall reading that they were tipped off about him being violent. My question is what were the nature of these tips? I suspect that they were "gossipy" tips that someone wanted a tabloid to pay them for. I suspect if the tipper could provide a picture of Marius in the vicinity of white powder, they may have reported on it since they did so with on his ex Nora.

It was reported today that Marius and the woman are shacked up at Skaugum. You know the woman that less than a month ago, he hit multiple times, he choked multiple times, damaged her apartment including putting a knife in the wall, from there he left the scene and rather than cooling off, had a phone call that included murder threats. Maybe Haakon and Mette-Marit should kick both of them out and tell them to go be messy elsewhere, but again where is the cover up?

I can see where numerous people knew that Marius is both troubled and trouble, although I am not convinced that high level government officials were being briefed, but even then, being aware and briefed and covering up are not the same thing. Also what information was in these briefings - he uses cocaine, he parties and he is acquainted with gangsters. Again what was supposed to happen, was he supposed to be trotted out to the town square with the sign, "Hello I am Marius, I snort cocaine and hang out with bad people." As I speculated before, due to the fact that Marius' own father is a convicted felon, precautions have likely been in place for years to protect the Norwegian royals from certain risks.

Again, I am not completely ruling out that things were covered up, but thus far I am not seeing evidence that the CP couple, the court, journalists and/or government officials covered up Marius' felonious acts. Also, I think that awareness and tolerance are being conflated with covering up, let's not forget, in a week's time King Harald's daughter is set to have a big, fat Norwegian wedding to a convicted criminal.
I am very, very concerned if she is living with Marius again. This would indicate that he is in the charming mea culpa stage and that he’s promised it will never happen again. Until it does. The next time - and usually the violence escalates - could be far worse.

Does anyone know where her parents or family are in all of this? IIRC hasn’t her name been published at least once? I am very concerned for her - even if he isn’t an official public figure, he is a well known “member” of the NRF or house - whichever. The point is he is well known and of interest to the public.

A question for Norwegian forum members: has the info on Durek’s convictions, former marriage/relationships, etc. been published so that people know all of these things about him? It has been published in the US. As someone said upthread, I don’t understand why the government hasn’t gotten involved as ML is in the line of succession thus her future husband has the possibility of ….ugh, I can’t even write it. Of course, here in the US we have a convicted felon running for POTUS but that is another hot mess:wacko:

I am very, very concerned if she is living with Marius again. This would indicate that he is in the charming mea culpa stage and that he’s promised it will never happen again. Until it does. The next time - and usually the violence escalates - could be far worse.

Does anyone know where her parents or family are in all of this? IIRC hasn’t her name been published at least once? I am very concerned for her - even if he isn’t an official public figure, he is a well known “member” of the NRF or house - whichever. The point is he is well known and of interest to the public.

A question for Norwegian forum members: has the info on Durek’s convictions, former marriage/relationships, etc. been published so that people know all of these things about him? It has been published in the US. As someone said upthread, I don’t understand why the government hasn’t gotten involved as ML is in the line of succession thus her future husband has the possibility of ….ugh, I can’t even write it. Of course, here in the US we have a convicted felon running for POTUS but that is another hot mess:wacko:

Some of the the foreign media has published the third victim's name in the stories about the violence. Her Instagram was open for some time but yesterday it was put private again.

Is this incident from 2012 the one you were thinking of?

VG reported that for 42 weeks, photos taken on his [15-year-old Marius Borg Høiby's] mobile phone and sent instantly to his contacts via the popular application called Instagram have been available over the Internet. Also available has been information showing the exact location with GPS coordinates of where he and his family are.​
Shortly after VG journalists made officials at the Royal Palace in Oslo aware of Høiby’s open Instagram profile, it was locked and made private, so it no longer can be opened by others than his own personal contacts. In addition to the photos he shared, Høiby had released information on where he and his parents were at any given time and where they planned to travel for work and holiday.​
Helge Lurås, another terror expert who leads the Center for International and Strategic Analysis (SISA) in Norway, also said details around travel and movements should be limited to lower the threat of kidnapping or other forms of terrorist attacks against individuals. No one considered a potential target should reveal their whereabouts via social media or over the Internet, he said. [...]​

In their letter to VG, the royal couple [Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit] wrote that it was “difficult to see” the use of the instant photo sharing program Instagram by Crown Princess Mette-Marit’s oldest son from an earlier relationship, Marius Borg Høiby, “as a security risk.”​
They called VG’s story” speculative, over-dimensioned and without substance at the cost of a child of 15 years.” They wrote that “we react strongly that you are exposing our child in this manner. For us, it’s very important to shield our children against an undsciplined public spotlight because we believe it can be a heavy burden and damaging. All children have a right to be protected against that.”​
[...]​
Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Crown Prince Haakon also pointed out that their own official appearances are publicly announced at least 14 days before they occur. “The programs are often detailed down to the minute and the place,” they wrote. “This is a security risk we live with every day, every year, an entire life.” They claimed their son’s use of social media was modest, “compared to most 15-year-olds,” and that information on the family’s locations could also be found on the official website for Norway’s royal family, kongehuset.no. “It is often known where we’ll be,” they wrote.​
[...]​
VG stands by its story (external link, in Norwegian), and [a professor at the business school Handelshøyskolen BI, Petter] Gottschalk told VG on Thursday that the royal couple should have thanked VG for revealing what he still calls a “security scandal,” instead of blasting VG for it. Magnus Ranstorp, who advises the Swedish government among others on security measures, said that people who need security guards, including Høiby, also must be extra careful with what they publish on social media.​
Hmm, I seem to recall that there was a mentioning of a party at Skaugum, where the guests took a number of photos from inside the estate. But perhaps I'm just going senile.

The reaction of Mette Marit and Haakon is telling, perhaps indicative of the way they have dealt with Marius ever since.
Considering that they at the time had two small children, in line for the throne, I'd say they are pretty blase about it.
It may be that Marius is and was considered secondary, but Ingrid and Magnus sure wasn't! And they were prime targets of possible terrorists, kidnappers or lunatics.
It's a full-on attack on the press, basically saying: There is no problem with Marius at all!! - I.e. total denial. And this one was fairly innocent, no one would dream of blaming a fifteen year old for having an account that could be tracked.

---------------------

Not sure about the Norwegian legislation, but I'd say under normal circumstances the press would not publish the name of Marius. However, Marius himself is not normal and as this involves the NRF I'd say the press would claim - and probably win - that publishing the name of Marius serves a higher purpose. I.e. that this is of national interest and certainly of major public interest.

---------------

This one is probably for Tatiana Maria and her keen interest in immunity.
Is Marius a member of the royal family?
Does he enjoy immunity?
If he does then King Harald could in theory judge and sentence Marius. King Harald would also have the theoretical power of putting Marius under house arrest pending the police investigation and trial.
Is that correct, I wonder?

Some of the the foreign media has published the third victim's name in the stories about the violence. Her Instagram was open for some time but yesterday it was put private again.
I have not seen her name published in connection with the violence incident. You could only guess who she is from tabloids which months ago informed the readers about the "new girlfriend" of Marius. We cannot even be sure if she is the one, theoretically there could have been another girlfriend after this one as Marius seems to be somebody who changes his girlfriends often. But as LadyFinn just said, her IG is switched to private again, so it is probably her.

Is Marius a member of the royal family?

Marius is indeed a member of the royal family, as decided by King Harald V:

The members of the Royal Family are in addition the Crown Prince and Crown Princess’s other children, His Highness Prince Sverre Magnus and Mr Marius Borg Høiby; Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise, Miss Maud Angelica Behn, Miss Leah Isadora Behn, Miss Emma Tallulah Behn and Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner.

Does he enjoy immunity?
If he does then King Harald could in theory judge and sentence Marius. King Harald would also have the theoretical power of putting Marius under house arrest pending the police investigation and trial.
Is that correct, I wonder?

Article 37 of the Constitution reads:

The Royal Princes and Princesses shall not personally be answerable to anyone other than the King, or whomever he decrees to sit in judgment on them.​

The phrase "royal princes and princesses" does not necessarily mean "only the individuals who carry the title of Prince or Princess". There are other paragraphs in the Constitution where the words "prince or princess" are clearly meant to refer to people who are in line to the throne, including the untitled Behn sisters. So there is room for disagreement in regards to whom Article 37 might apply to. For more on this subject see this thread: Constitutional and Dynastic Matters in the Norwegian Monarchy

As regards this specific case: At first, I assumed the King and other members of the Royal House must all be in agreement that Article 37 is certainly not applicable to Marius, since as far as we know, none of them have tried to tell the police that Marius cannot be put on trial – not even King Harald V, who (as discussed in other threads) has a history of interpreting the Constitution in "creative" ways for the benefit of his children. But it now occurs to me that if the Royal House had attempted to discourage prosecution of Marius in this serious case of violence, they would have come in for enormous criticism. So I wonder: If Marius's crime had been a much less serious one, would the King have considered creatively interpreting Article 37 in Marius's favor to get the charges dropped?

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Tatiana Maria. I never even thought of the immunity factor. Very difficult position for the King to be in

I have not seen her name published in connection with the violence incident. You could only guess who she is from tabloids which months ago informed the readers about the "new girlfriend" of Marius. We cannot even be sure if she is the one, theoretically there could have been another girlfriend after this one as Marius seems to be somebody who changes his girlfriends often. But as LadyFinn just said, her IG is switched to private again, so it is probably her.

The woman's lawyer has stated that the woman has been living with Marius "a longer time" in Skaugum. So it seems sure that she is the one who's name has been mentioned at the foreign media.

In front of close friends, Marius has informed several times that he has a diplomatic passport and travels abroad with it, Nettavisen has received information from people in the environment surrounding Marius.
- Persons traveling on assignment for the Norwegian authorities can obtain diplomatic passports according to need and application. This applies, among other things, to the royal house and members of the royal family. We cannot share information about individuals, communications advisor Ragnhild Håland Simenstad in the Foreign Ministry tells.
Simenstad says Foreign Ministry employees who work in Oslo, as a general rule, have diplomatic passports, and use them when they are on business trips abroad. The same applies to special envoys from other ministries who serve as seconded diplomats. In addition, Norwegian citizens who travel on assignments for the Norwegian authorities receive diplomatic passports as needed and upon application.
- Diplomatic passports do not grant diplomatic immunity. Only diplomats who are posted from one country to another get it, Simenstad points out.

The woman's lawyer has stated that the woman has been living with Marius "a longer time" in Skaugum. So it seems sure that she is the one who's name has been mentioned at the foreign media.

In front of close friends, Marius has informed several times that he has a diplomatic passport and travels abroad with it, Nettavisen has received information from people in the environment surrounding Marius.
- Persons traveling on assignment for the Norwegian authorities can obtain diplomatic passports according to need and application. This applies, among other things, to the royal house and members of the royal family. We cannot share information about individuals, communications advisor Ragnhild Håland Simenstad in the Foreign Ministry tells.
Simenstad says Foreign Ministry employees who work in Oslo, as a general rule, have diplomatic passports, and use them when they are on business trips abroad. The same applies to special envoys from other ministries who serve as seconded diplomats. In addition, Norwegian citizens who travel on assignments for the Norwegian authorities receive diplomatic passports as needed and upon application.
- Diplomatic passports do not grant diplomatic immunity. Only diplomats who are posted from one country to another get it, Simenstad points out.
But from what we have heard the violent attacks did not happen at Skaugum but in the apartment of the girlfriend in Oslo, which tells me that she kept her apartment although she moved in with him at Skaugum.

But from what we have heard the violent attacks did not happen at Skaugum but in the apartment of the girlfriend in Oslo, which tells me that she kept her apartment although she moved in with him at Skaugum.
Didn't one of the early reports say that Marius actually owned that apartment?

Any reasonable woman keeps her own apartment, if has Marius as her boyfriend.

Nettavisen tells that the owner of the scooter is a TV profile. The woman is featured in a program on TV 2 this autumn and she has also appeared on several NRK programmes.
According to available information, the scooter was wanted by the Oslo police district on 1 August. This was three days before Høiby attacked his then girlfriend.
(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
Marius is indeed a member of the royal family, as decided by King Harald V:

The members of the Royal Family are in addition the Crown Prince and Crown Princess’s other children, His Highness Prince Sverre Magnus and Mr Marius Borg Høiby; Her Highness Princess Märtha Louise, Miss Maud Angelica Behn, Miss Leah Isadora Behn, Miss Emma Tallulah Behn and Her Highness Princess Astrid, Mrs Ferner.​

Article 37 of the Constitution reads:

The Royal Princes and Princesses shall not personally be answerable to anyone other than the King, or whomever he decrees to sit in judgment on them.​

The phrase "royal princes and princesses" does not necessarily mean "only the individuals who carry the title of Prince or Princess". There are other paragraphs in the Constitution where the words "prince or princess" are clearly meant to refer to people who are in line to the throne, including the untitled Behn sisters. So there is room for disagreement in regards to whom Article 37 might apply to. For more on this subject see this thread: Constitutional and Dynastic Matters in the Norwegian Monarchy

As regards this specific case: At first, I assumed the King and other members of the Royal House must all be in agreement that Article 37 is certainly not applicable to Marius, since as far as we know, none of them have tried to tell the police that Marius cannot be put on trial – not even King Harald V, who (as discussed in other threads) has a history of interpreting the Constitution in "creative" ways for the benefit of his children. But it now occurs to me that if the Royal House had attempted to discourage prosecution of Marius in this serious case of violence, they would have come in for enormous criticism. So I wonder: If Marius's crime had been a much less serious one, would the King have considered creatively interpreting Article 37 in Marius's favor to get the charges dropped?
Thanks for your reply.

Depends on what kind of crime.
A fine for speeding, perhaps.
But when it comes under the penal code, no.
The more serious the less the chance of the immunity being applied. And violence is pretty serious, regardless.
I find it extremely difficult to believe the Norwegian public would accept Marius getting immunity for violence or for that matter other breaches of the penal code. Not even for stealing a scooter. He will have to face the consequences whatever they may be.

--------

So, a cocaine addict with a diplomatic passport, who has an unruly behavior and as associating known criminals... - Anyone else think that is a potentially bad combination?
Now, I won't claim that Marius has smuggled drugs while using his diplomatic passport, but the risk of him being "persuaded" to do so by his "friends" is undeniable there. That at least should have send alarm-bells ringing up through the system.

And at age 27 what do Marius even need a diplomatic passport for? How many 27 year old travel with their parents on holiday anyway? I think he'll survive going through the border checks like every other mortal.

You raise a number of valid points and I sincerely hope you are right. Because I used to find the NRF very likable and relatable, with the exception of ML and her Durek I also believed they did a great job in representing Norway. I wold very much like to keep that image.
However, I'm not so sure now. Because while I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the core-members of the NRF genuinely are kind-hearted and nice people. - But... There comes a point where kindness becomes naivety and overbearing becomes over-indulgence to the point where it becomes counter-productive and self-destructing for your image. I wonde if that's the core of the issue with both ML and Marius. - And perhaps even when Mette Marit married into the NRF? I.e. that she perhaps did not and still does not fully understand that she not only married Haakon, she married Norway. There is a difference between being Mrs. Haakon and being the Crown Princess.
That there are about 5.294 slugs in our garden right now who IMO all appear to have more backbone than Haakon doesn't exactly help!

But back to Marius.
I am not convinced that Marius has serious mental issues. We only have his words for it. And mental issues in various forms is unfortunately often used as an excuse rather than an explanation.
Marius may have mental issues now, but that could just as well stem from years of using cocaine. He used cocaine when he was around 20, why should he have stopped? And that, like any other form of addiction, comes with a price.

I simply cannot believe that no one noticed that Marius was high, had an erratic behavior and was associating known criminals and didn't gossip about it. I simply refuse to believe that the security police and others wouldn't consider it a problem that Marius, the son/stepson of the CP-couple was nailed for possession of cocaine and associating shady characters. That alone should make the alarm bells go off. Marius after all had free access to the Skaugum estate. And wasn't there a story about Marius and Co. photographing the interior? And the security police, the court and the politicians would just say: Now, you really shouldn't do that, Marius.
He has been abusive towards three girlfriends (that we know off), are we to believe that no one knew? And no one said anything?
Finally, as late as this August he was reported for stealing a scooter. That's a part of a pattern. I cannot believe that Marius at the ripe age of 27 thought: Well, I need a ride. Hmm, I've never stolen anything before, but how about I start by stealing this scooter?

You get my point? Norway is not China and Oslo is not New York, it's very difficult to hide and vanish in the crowd if you are well-known. Someone must have noticed something.

So a number of reports, warnings, heads up and so on must have filtered upwards and if they never reached the NRF, they must have been blocked at some point or points along the line. That's a cover up.
If they did reach the NRF and were largely ignored or dismissed or played down then it's a problem that someone should have reacted on. In this case by going to the government(s). If they didn't or the government(s) didn't do anything, it's a cover up. (Or sweeping the whole issue under the carpet, if that's preferable.)

That the press didn't know is next to impossible. That they didn't write about is an editorial decision. Whether that was out of misunderstood consideration for King Harald, whether there was a wish to maintain an idyllic public image of the NRF and by extension Norway or whether someone pulled strings is debatable. But I dare say that in most monarchies a child of the CP-couple behaving and associating with certain people like Marius is, would be considered of public/national interest and written about. So again, a cover up.
Silence is covering up.

You point out that Marius and the third victim is together again and live at Skaugum. I find that very disturbing in itself.
I also believe it's a blatant remiss by Mette Marit in particular. She has involved herself in helping women who have suffered from domestic abuse. She of all people should know that you try your best to separate the victim of abuse from the abuser, at least until the abuser has been treated and show improvement, if that ever happens. She may be protective of Marius, but she sure ain't protective of the victim! And where is Haakon? Lying in a fetus position under a couch sucking his thumb? Why isn't he putting his foot down and tell his wife she's doing something monumentally stupid? Skaugum is supposed to be his estate, why isn't he refusing them to live together at Skaugum? And why isn't he telling Marius to stay clear of this third victim or face consequences. Cutting off his allowance would be a nice start. Sending him off to paint a white circle around every single tree along the Swedish/Norwegian border would be better IMO!
I stated that I don't doubt that Marius' family and social circle know about his substance and mental issues. I also stated that I think that the social circle knew about the violence.

The Martha Louise situation definitely poorly reflects on the monarch. The monarch is fully in control of how Martha Louise can use her royal status, has issued statements about it, Martha Louise is in non-compliance and nothing has happened.

The Marius situation, while undoubtedly gone on for years, I am not sure that his parents knew about the violence towards the last three partners. But even if they had some awareness, if Marius gets treatment and is compliant, then I see why he has his parents support. The latest incident was a gamechanger because law enforcement got involved. I can understand the position of allowing law enforcement to conduct its investigation and not publicly taking action but behind the scenes make sure that Marius and that the NRF and its staff are fully cooperating.

Now my "do nothing: stance has changed as a result of reports from the past couple days.

One is the passport issue, if Marius has a diplomatic passport, that has to change, but I don't think there needs to be a grand announcement at this time.

Not a new revelation but I think that Marius' name should come off the website, again those wheels can get put in motion but there is no need for a grand announcement at this time. Also, if the NRF takes any action regarding Martha Louise, removing Marius' name from the website should probably dovetail with any action concerning Martha Louise.

The biggie is the report that Marius and the latest victim are living together at Skaugum. If that is true, then game over! This means that the victim does not care about her safety and well-being and Marius does not care about recovery and getting on the right path. Now Haakon and Mette-Marit have a ticking time bomb in their backyard.

My take on Marius is that he has mental and substance issue, but I am also seeing personality and character issues. The "my love" reference in his statement was a red flag. The situation, in theory, is not hopeless, oftentimes law enforcement getting involved is the "rock bottom" that someone needs to experience to turn things around. We know that Marius' father is a convicted felon, but there have not been reports of him getting into trouble since his incarceration. Marius may very well replicate his father, I hope he does, but I do think that he and the victim living together at Skaugum, if true, is the signal that he needs to be cut loose. Now does that mean that doors need to be locked and possessions need to be put out on the front lawn today, maybe not, but hopefully Haakon and Mette-Marit are in the process of "uncoupling
from Marius.

I stated that I don't doubt that Marius' family and social circle know about his substance and mental issues. I also stated that I think that the social circle knew about the violence.

The Martha Louise situation definitely poorly reflects on the monarch. The monarch is fully in control of how Martha Louise can use her royal status, has issued statements about it, Martha Louise is in non-compliance and nothing has happened.

The Marius situation, while undoubtedly gone on for years, I am not sure that his parents knew about the violence towards the last three partners. But even if they had some awareness, if Marius gets treatment and is compliant, then I see why he has his parents support. The latest incident was a gamechanger because law enforcement got involved. I can understand the position of allowing law enforcement to conduct its investigation and not publicly taking action but behind the scenes make sure that Marius and that the NRF and its staff are fully cooperating.

Now my "do nothing: stance has changed as a result of reports from the past couple days.

One is the passport issue, if Marius has a diplomatic passport, that has to change, but I don't think there needs to be a grand announcement at this time.

Not a new revelation but I think that Marius' name should come off the website, again those wheels can get put in motion but there is no need for a grand announcement at this time. Also, if the NRF takes any action regarding Martha Louise, removing Marius' name from the website should probably dovetail with any action concerning Martha Louise.

The biggie is the report that Marius and the latest victim are living together at Skaugum. If that is true, then game over! This means that the victim does not care about her safety and well-being and Marius does not care about recovery and getting on the right path. Now Haakon and Mette-Marit have a ticking time bomb in their backyard.

My take on Marius is that he has mental and substance issue, but I am also seeing personality and character issues. The "my love" reference in his statement was a red flag. The situation, in theory, is not hopeless, oftentimes law enforcement getting involved is the "rock bottom" that someone needs to experience to turn things around. We know that Marius' father is a convicted felon, but there have not been reports of him getting into trouble since his incarceration. Marius may very well replicate his father, I hope he does, but I do think that he and the victim living together at Skaugum, if true, is the signal that he needs to be cut loose. Now does that mean that doors need to be locked and possessions need to be put out on the front lawn today, maybe not, but hopefully Haakon and Mette-Marit are in the process of "uncoupling
from Marius.
Agree.

And I sincerely hope you are right, That this may be the turning point for Marius.
If for no other reason than Marius himself.
He's 27. What life has he ahead of him if he continues down this path?
In contrast he can have a very fruitful and even become respected if he turns around and especially if he use himself as a rolemodel.

But members of the NRF also needs to take a good look at themselves IMO. And ask: Have we been living in a cocoon of denial?
It's time to face the consequences. Not only for Marius.

For those interested in the immunity issue, here is some clarification from a Norwegian legal expert, who among other things points out that Article 37 is really not about immunity but jurisdiction (though I will probably continue to refer to it, casually, as "immunity"):

Not a new revelation but I think that Marius' name should come off the website, again those wheels can get put in motion but there is no need for a grand announcement at this time.

Marius Borg Høiby's biography was already removed from the Royal House website in January 2017 when he announced his withdrawal from public life. As far as I remember, his name is currently only mentioned in the full list of members of the royal family and in the list of children in the Crown Prince's and Crown Princess's family.

And at age 27 what do Marius even need a diplomatic passport for? How many 27 year old travel with their parents on holiday anyway? I think he'll survive going through the border checks like every other mortal.

Well, the Foreign Affairs Department press release says that members of the royal family are issued diplomatic passports based on need and application. If Ari Behn was entitled to apply for a diplomatic passport in spite of having no public role, I think it was only fair not to treat Marius differently (before his misuse of his passport surfaced).

What is Norway's policy on issuing diplomatic passports to children of diplomatic agents? If the 27-year-old son of a mere embassy official would be entitled to a diplomatic passport, then it would be odd to deny one to the son of the Crown Princess (again, before his misuse etc.).

Besides, it is unclear when Marius last used a diplomatic passport, and until recently Norwegian diplomatic passports were valid for 10 years, so his most recent diplomatic passport may very well have been issued when he was still a minor.

Didn't one of the early reports say that Marius actually owned that apartment?

I personally cannot remember such a report. Could the member/s who referred to this claim that cite the source?

-- and they'll probably ship him off somewhere far away for the next decade or so. (Hope he enjoys reindeer herding in Svalbard.)

The other question about MM's letter of the time is why Marius, as an adult, did not release the statement himself. Just something along the lines of "I'm grateful for everything; I look forward to my quiet, uneventful life as a private citizen; I will certainly not be involved in illegal drugs or other criminal matters and will never lay a finger on anyone or bring shame on the house that raised me; thanks Mom, Haakon, BesteHarald".
Hm.

:lol:

Marius is not the son of a diplomat abroad, nor does he live abroad, or is connected to a diplomatic mission.
And even if he was a son of a diplomat, at 27 he is old enough to be on his own. I would also find it odd if he lived with his parents abroad, unless he studied at a local university, in which case he still would not need a diplomatic passport.
Keep in mind that Nikolai of the DRF lost his diplomatic passport when he was made count and he is after all still in the Line of Succession. Marius is not.

The very sad thing about DV is that many times the victim goes back to the abuser thinking/hoping that it will never happen again. I would not be surprised if the rumor that they were back together was true.

Marius is not the son of a diplomat abroad, nor does he live abroad, or is connected to a diplomatic mission.
And even if he was a son of a diplomat, at 27 he is old enough to be on his own. I would also find it odd if he lived with his parents abroad, unless he studied at a local university, in which case he still would not need a diplomatic passport.

Yes, but my argument was that it is reasonable for a royal family to be accorded at least the same level of privileges as a nonroyal diplomat's family. The king is the head of state, which is a higher-ranking representative of the state than any diplomat. So if all relatives of diplomats are entitled to a diplomatic passport regardless of where they live, then it makes sense for all relatives of the king to be treated the same way. But again, I don't know if that is the case, though I would like to know.

And in my previous post I made the comparison to Ari Behn, who was also not a diplomat's husband/son and also not in line to the throne.

Keep in mind that Nikolai of the DRF lost his diplomatic passport when he was made count and he is after all still in the Line of Succession. Marius is not.

But as your Danish example illustrates, monarchies regularly grant diplomatic passports even to royals who certainly don't "need" them. (Even when Nikolai was a prince, he never carried out any diplomatic duties. And the Danish government even issued diplomatic passports for the ex-king of Greece and to Prince Joachim's ex-wife's second husband.) So even if Norway has been overly generous with its royal family passport policy, it is far from alone in that.

Then Norway - and other countries - should have a closer look at the rules for issuing diplomatic passports. Marius sure doesn't need one. Nor does the shaman, if he was to be granted Norwegian citizenship. It's questionable whether ML would really need one either as she has no official role anymore.
At the time Nikolai was the son of a diplomat and it happened that he accompanied his dad on holidays, but to be honest he didn't really need one then and he sure doesn't now.

Nettavisen tells that the owner of the scooter is a TV profile. The woman is featured in a program on TV 2 this autumn and she has also appeared on several NRK programmes.
According to available information, the scooter was wanted by the Oslo police district on 1 August. This was three days before Høiby attacked his then girlfriend. (..)

If you are going to steal property, stealing from a celebrity who also knows you personally doesn't seem like the wisest pick.

The term “security police” has been frequently used here. I’m not sure what that means in Norway. Can someone explain? Thanks.

The term “security police” has been frequently used here. I’m not sure what that means in Norway. Can someone explain? Thanks.
It's the Norwegian police intelligence service.
Apart from providing VIP bodyguards they mainly handle intelligence and deep investigation of criminal organizations as well as internal and external threats to Norway. I believe they also control the Norwegian police anti-terror corps, which also deals with more risky arrests and so on.
It's name is PST = Police Security Service, but I've opted for using security police because that makes it easier to understand without further explanations.
(It's equivalent to PET in DK, that is blessed with a name that is easy to remember in English... and Säpo in Sweden, which literally means the Security Police. All are equivalent to FBI.)

Thanks. So not exactly equivalent to the FBI, but similar. When posters keep referring to the Security Police as having knowledge of Marius’ lifestyle, do they mean that they are watching Marius, or that they have sources which could report to them with information about Marius, or indeed, other members of the NRF? And does Marius have some sort of royal security who trails him (like our Secret Service)?

Agree.

And I sincerely hope you are right, That this may be the turning point for Marius.
If for no other reason than Marius himself.
He's 27. What life has he ahead of him if he continues down this path?
In contrast he can have a very fruitful and even become respected if he turns around and especially if he use himself as a rolemodel.

But members of the NRF also needs to take a good look at themselves IMO. And ask: Have we been living in a cocoon of denial?
It's time to face the consequences. Not only for Marius.
Muhler, you made some good points upthread about MM when she married into the family. I agree that she may not understand her role or maybe she doesn’t agree with some aspects of her role (reminiscent of another MM) and just does what she wants. In either case, IMHO it is the responsibility of Haakon to make sure she understands her role as well as making sure she follows expectations whether she personally agrees or not. Honestly, I’m not overly impressed with him right now and can’t believe they are allowing a 27 year old to live on their property (is he paying rent? - 🙄) who doesn’t have a job or any livelihood besides partying.
The photo posted of him with a gun and gangster look reminds me of photos we’ve seen in the past of Prince Harry in the nazi “costume.”:nonono:

Thanks. So not exactly equivalent to the FBI, but similar. When posters keep referring to the Security Police as having knowledge of Marius’ lifestyle, do they mean that they are watching Marius, or that they have sources which could report to them with information about Marius, or indeed, other members of the NRF? And does Marius have some sort of royal security who trails him (like our Secret Service)?
Marius has not and AFAIK never had bodyguards while being an adult. But as the security police keep an eye on threats to the NRF, which includes vetting people employed at the court and others who for various reasons have businesses close to the royals, reports about Marius being seen with known criminals ought to be something any reasonably competent security police would be interested in.
Whether they have kept an eye on Marius various activities is of course an open question. I prefer to think the Norwegian police is competent and as such had a look at who Marius associate and made a report about that.

Then Norway - and other countries - should have a closer look at the rules for issuing diplomatic passports. Marius sure doesn't need one. Nor does the shaman, if he was to be granted Norwegian citizenship. It's questionable whether ML would really need one either as she has no official role anymore.
At the time Nikolai was the son of a diplomat and it happened that he accompanied his dad on holidays, but to be honest he didn't really need one then and he sure doesn't now.
It seems the requirement for family members to receive an official passport (either diplomatic or ‘special’) is that they live with the ‘main’ diplomatic passport holder (and travel with them or live with them abroad).

However, it seems that the reasoning in this case is that all members of the royal family have a diplomatic passport.

Edit: found a guide for diplomats serving in Norway. While this of course doesn’t apply to Marius, it does explain how the international regulations regarding diplomats are implemented in Norway.

And here they reference being a spouse, cohabitant or depend child (but again these are regulations for foreign diplomats etc being stationed in Norway)

Last edited:
If a drug dealer or any dubious person went to the SP and claimed association with Marius, I’d be surprised. This would mean that it was up to the SP to ‘spy’ on Marius and his associates and friends to find things out. They’d have to be looking for trouble in order to find it. Maybe it’s unsurprising that the nature of his lifestyle and his choices went unnoticed.
Rumors might not have reached the SP or the RF. Young people can keep schtum about their activities. Many parents are stunned to find out that their adult offspring are engaged in something other than a bit of cannabis and partying.

If a drug dealer or any dubious person went to the SP and claimed association with Marius, I’d be surprised. This would mean that it was up to the SP to ‘spy’ on Marius and his associates and friends to find things out. They’d have to be looking for trouble in order to find it. Maybe it’s unsurprising that the nature of his lifestyle and his choices went unnoticed.
Rumors might not have reached the SP or the RF. Young people can keep schtum about their activities. Many parents are stunned to find out that their adult offspring are engaged in something other than a bit of cannabis and partying.
Yeah, except Marius and his associates were not hiding in caves, (that would actually be worse) they went to town, to nightclubs and parties, so the police wouldn't have to bug Marius or hide behind a bush or use agents. They could just observe him from the bar,

Back
Top Bottom