Marius Borg Høiby News & Current Events Part 1: December 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things would have been slightly easier to understand (though no less wrong) if he was a known drug addict or perhaps suffered from Bipolar episodes… We obviously have absolutely no idea if he has problems with drugs or if there is a mental illness involved but if it is, then it’s about time to go public with that information…… For right now he only comes off as a brat without education, without a real job, without a purpose in life, partying around the clock with unlimited alcohol (and maybe more things) available, and who gets violent towards women….

His mother and step-father have often proclaimed how Marius wishes to live a non-royal and anonymous life far away from the attention of the media… Yet he goes to high profile jet-set parties in Norway and abroad, goes to premieres and always on the red carpet, socializes with other famous people etc… He dosen’t do much to live that anonymous life…

Unfortunately I don't think he has diagnosed mental issues. If he had and it was pretty obvious to the police they would likely have taken him to the ER, or at least let a doctor look at him, rather than just keeping him for 30 hours.
It would have taken some minutes for someone authorized to look at his medical record (*) and if he suffers from some sort of disorder it would IMO be more likely that he was committed to a psychiatric ward, pending further evaluation.
Anyway, Norwegian security police was involved as well and surely they would know if he has mental issues, an addiction or a history of anger fits. Something the ordinary police may not know about.

(*) I'm pretty sure that Marius' medical records and all other personal details are considered extra sensitive and as such only people at a certain level can access them. To prevent someone snooping out of mere curiosity.

Last edited:
This a million times over. Blaming past generations for your bad decisions makes you a coward. Blaming your friends for your action makes you a coward. Blaming anyone else for your bad behaviour yourself is being a coward. Blaming your situation in life makes you a coward.

There is no excuse. None. I hope he feels the full force of the law as using any form of violence on anyone is abhorrent.
And, the history between his mother and his biological father aside, it is not like Marius had a difficult or challenging upbringing. On the contrary, when he was still a child, his mother married the Crown Prince of Norway and he was then raised in practice as a member of a royal family , with the full privileges that come with that and none of the responsibilities since he was not in the line of succession and was not expected to take up full-time or even part-time royal duties. I doubt he was ever in any kind of financial struggle either as his mother and stepfather seem willing to fund his lifestyle and his connection to the Norwegian Royal Family open up opportunities for him in the private sector if he is willing to pursue them.

And, the history between his mother and his biological father aside, it is not like Marius had a difficult or challenging upbringing. On the contrary, when he was still a child, his mother married the Crown Prince of Norway and he was then raised in practice as a member of a royal family , with the full privileges that come with that and none of the responsibilities since he was not in the line of succession and was not expected to take up full-time or even part-time royal duties. I doubt he was ever in any kind of financial struggle either as his mother and stepfather seem willing to fund his lifestyle and his connection to the Norwegian Royal Family open up opportunities for him in the private sector if he is willing to pursue them.
But he had a regular contact with his father (and his new family), hadn't he?

There will be no statements today, writes lawyer Øyvind Bratlien in a short message to Nettavisen Thursday morning.
It is still unclear when Høiby will comment on the matter publicly and the lawyer does not answer questions about when the statement can be expected to come.

A woman has hired a star lawyer in the violence case with Marius Borg Høiby
At the woman's own request, the police have requested Mette Yvonne Larsen to act as legal aid in the case.
"I am not giving any comments on the matter as of now," Larsen says briefly to Nettavisen.
For a number of years, she has been a lawyer in several of the biggest criminal cases in the country. The last of the big cases she is involved in is as legal aid for the runner brothers Jakob, Filip and Henrik Ingebrigtsen.
In an update from the police in Oslo on Thursday afternoon, it is stated that several investigative steps are being worked on, including questioning. The police want to implement these as soon as possible.
- For the sake of the investigation, the police do not wish to comment on details of the case, the press release states.

Se og Hør reveals that TV teams from several European countries have turned their noses at Norway - and that a large German TV channel has already landed at Gardermoen with several employees.
- There has been enormous interest in the Marius case, and several major European media houses have made contact. I know that at least one TV team has already landed in Oslo, says Se og Hør's royal house expert Caroline Vagle.

Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Støre does not want to comment on the charge. The Prime Minister has previously had a private relationship with the crown prince couple, but in recent times Støre has said that the private relationship has declined.
- It is not natural for the Prime Minister to either assess or comment on that, says State Secretary Kristoffer Thoner at the Prime Minister's office to NTB.
He further says that Støre has not been in contact with the crown prince couple or the royal house in connection with this matter.

I don't think you can blame parents for a 27 year olds choices at all. He has to take responsibility for these actions himself.

I do think its legitimate in part of a much wider discussion about Marius's life to talk about the expectations parents and wider family put on him in terms of career or job, which seemingly are little to none (other than presumably to behave and follow the law at the least which he has failed to do), there certainly doesn't seem to be any expectation of having a "normal" job which would be quite grounding IMO. But then again that isn't the norm in the NRF anyway - Mette Marit didn't seem to ever have a career before marrying Haakon and Martha Louise's "career" even she would probably describe as a "calling" while I'd call it something else altogether. Likewise we can talk about his family's expectations in terms of morality and good character (all this has made be go back and re-read about Mette-Marit's past before joining the RF and, wow, well there were some IMO questionable choices there over who her friends and partners were).

But no, this awful incident is on Marius and only on him. You can be spoilt, entitled and have no career other than "living your best life" and still behave within the law and without violence.

Are there multiple places with that name in Norway? Because the one I found is 800+km away from Oslo. If he works there he must live there too I imagine? To commute would be impossible.

Edit: another register says it is located in the town of Tønsberg, which is located one hour south of Asker, where the Crown Princess lives. Perhaps that makes more sense?

It is an honset job, so if he actually works on that: goodd for him. Not everybody wants to be an investment banker.

The TV2 report posted by LadyFinn mentions that his current registered address is Semsveien 194 C, near the crown princely residence, Skaugum, where he was raised. If my recollection is correct he has lived there for a while.

The TV2 report posted by LadyFinn mentions that his current registered address is Semsveien 194 C, near the crown princely residence, Skaugum, where he was raised. If my recollection is correct he has lived there for a while.

Well, it ain't looking better for Marius.
According to the article posted by Tatiana Maria, the whole thing went on for quite a while. And it was only after some time that Marius left the apartment (or was finally persuaded to leave, I wonder?) and the woman could call the police. During that time the woman was hit by Marius. (The word "slått" can mean a hit, a slap, a punch, a violent push, a hit with an object or multiple hits, even up to and including being beaten up.)
The woman has explained that Marius was seriously threatening her.

The police has declined to comment on the info that Norwegian TV2 (a major TV network and as such quite serious) has collected. (Sounds like a police leak to me or someone close to the victim.)

- So to me it sounds like she was too scared and/or unable to call the police while Marius was there and she was either too scared or unable to flee the apartment or lock herself into a room.

Perhaps Marius had permissive parents. Perhaps he has a mental illness. Perhaps he has a substance abuse problem. Perhaps it's something else. It doesn't excuse him from attacking someone else even if he was still a minor, let alone as a 27-year old man.

There are many people who have had bad parents, mental illnesses, and/or substance abuse problems without the wealth or privilege that Marius grew up in that have never physically assaulted anyone. Those issues may explain why he did, but it certainty doesn't justify it.

[...] when he was still a child, his mother married the Crown Prince of Norway and he was then raised in practice as a member of a royal family , with the full privileges that come with that and none of the responsibilities since he was not in the line of succession and was not expected to take up full-time or even part-time royal duties.

Not only in practice, but as an official member of the Royal Family (which he remains to this day), who, until the January 2017 announcement that he was withdrawing from public life, had his own profile page on the royal house's website and participated in public royal events such as National Day.

But he had a regular contact with his father (and his new family), hadn't he?

Yes, his primary home growing up was with his mother and stepfather, the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, but he regularly stayed with his father Morten Borg and stepmother Celine Maktabi-Borg (his father also married well, to use the expression, as Celine hails from a wealthy family). While we of course cannot know what relationships are like behind closed doors, all public indications to my knowledge have been of close relationships between Marius and his parents, stepparents, half- and step-siblings (on his paternal side, he has a half-brother, Lucas Borg, who is Ingrid and Magnus's age, and a stepbrother, Emanuel Maktabi, who is three years' Marius's junior).

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree it seems…. Marius seems to become his fathers mirror when it comes to getting in trouble with the law…

Although his father did have a drug conviction, I have personally seen more comments comparing Marius to his mother's older brother Espen Høiby (who is probably not appreciating the renewed attention to his past).

Last edited:
Wow this is worse than I thought..Knife in the wall, woman ends up hospitalized with a concussion. I can only imagine the terror. Thank goodness the knife ended up in the wall and not in the woman. I hope she gets the emotional support and help for her healing.

Marius... where do I start?

Well him running back to Skaugum is not a good look. Grown adult man gets in serious trouble with the law and so he runs back home to "mommy's house'. ..
Eh no. It gives the image of him being a coward and also that Haakon & Mette-Marit will protect him and shield him.
I don't know what kind of parents Haakon and Mette-Marit were with Marius. However, they seem to have been loosely permissive because at 27 years old he does not have a career and Haakon and Mette-Marit seem to have bankrolled his adventures/endeavors. They need to tighten up. Send him back to his apartment instead of sheltering him at Skaugum. Perhaps him being hounded by the media will make him think 2x about his actions.
They also should send him to rehab and therapy ASAP. It will help him and also help in repairing his public image.

Agree.
The past sheltering and so publicly defending him can no longer be.

He is 27 years old and this is his own mess.

Agree.

He is 27 years old and this is his own mess.
Thanks, Polyesco.

The Se&Hør article is a bit all over the place, even including a biologist to explain the maternal instinct...
And there is a photo of a typical drunk-tank, Marius would have spend the better part of 30 hours in:

The article also deals with the knife.
I don't know the Norwegian legislation regarding knives, but I believe it's similar to the Danish.
And using a knife in connection with any crime, - in the case violence of some sort, threatening behavior, vandalism and perhaps even directly used to threaten the victim - makes whatever it is a notch worse, regardless.
If it is Marius' knife he can add illegal possession of a bladed weapon to his charges. That would also be the case had he never pulled out the knife. - Because the law says: Unless you have a very good reason for carrying a knife, it's illegal possession of a bladed weapon. Even craftsmen have been sentenced because they had a knife in their tool belt and went to the baker in their lunch break without first having removed the knife. That law is unforgiving and I imagine it's similar in Norway.
On top of that if the victim intended to get away but was prevented from doing so by Marius, he can add the charge of illegally detaining someone. (Basically holding someone captive.)

So right now Marius is charged by the least serious paragraph regarding violence and assault as well as vandalism, which is bad enough mind you! But there are other paragraphs that are likely to be added.

So right now, and judging from the descriptions of what happened, I can't see Marius avoiding a jail sentence. I would consider him very lucky if he only gets 40 days.
Because this isn't a brawl that got a little out of hand or a slap because he lost his temper. For that he might get off with a fine, community sentence and some kind of compensation. But this one...

To add it up, and mind you this is according to the Danish penal code, which is likely similar to the Norwegian.
Illegal possession of a bladed weapon: 14 days in prison as a minimum, for first time offenders.
Assault according to the mildest paragraph 30-120 days, up to three years in prison. In some mitigating cases a fine and community service.
Vandalism: A fine or up to 18 months in prison.
Illegally detaining someone: A fine or up 4 years in prison.
Serious threats, so that the victim has good reason to fear for her life and health: A fine or prison up to two years.

So all in all, and even considering that Marius is unlikely to get the maximum sentence for each paragraph or even being charged with all paragraphs, it's IMO difficult to see how he can avoid prison.

I had forgotten how many times the Crown Prince Couple had castigated the press over the years for their coverage of Marius Borg Høiby; so there is something of a precedent for the soon-to-be Princess Couple's recent campaign against the media.

With this reminder of how even truthful reports about Marius Borg Høiby using the Palace's address to sell merchandise, or about his then-girlfriend having modeled for Playboy, made the Crown Prince Couple furious enough to issue statements condemning the media at large, it is difficult not to infer that they (or at least one of them; the general opinion seems to be that Crown Princess Mette-Marit was the driving force behind those joint statements) must have even stronger feelings about the media and public firestorm surrounding him now. Fortunately it appears they have finally adopted a policy of restraint, or so it seems given the Crown Prince's very neutral comment and the Crown Princess's silence.

To add it up, and mind you this is according to the Danish penal code, which is likely similar to the Norwegian.

The Norwegian Penal Code may be read here:

And a full English translation may be read here:

The two confirmed charges of kroppskrenkelse (physical assault) and skadeverk (vandalism) originate from articles 271 and 351 respectively:

Section 271. Physical assault

A penalty of a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year shall be applied to any person who commits an act of violence against another person or otherwise physically assaults him/her.

A physical assault may be exempted from punishment if
a. it has been met with retaliation in the form of a physical assault or bodily harm, or
b. it is committed in retaliation for a preceding physical assault, bodily harm or especially provocative statement.

Section 351. Vandalism

A penalty of a fine or imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year shall be applied to any person who damages, destroys, renders useless or spoils an object which wholly or partially belongs to someone else.

The penalty for vandalism also applies to any person who without authorisation modifies, adds to, destroys, deletes or conceals data belonging to someone else.

It is interesting that the forthcoming charges confirmed by the police include physical assault and vandalism, but no drug-related charges, even though intoxication seems to be strongly implied in the news reports about the incident. Can any members shed light on why that might be?

I think when the initial reports about the charges came out they said the police were waiting on tests in which case extra charges may be added when the results are known.

It doesn't look good for Marius I have to say.

It is interesting that the forthcoming charges confirmed by the police include physical assault and vandalism, but no drug-related charges, even though intoxication seems to be strongly implied in the news reports about the incident. Can any members shed light on why that might be?
Simply because he would have had bloods drawn for drug and alcohol testing at the time of remand. He still may be charged with drug-related offences.

I agree @tommy100, this does not look good for him, and he deserves everything he gets if he is charged with physical assault.

(...)

It's not illegal in itself to be drunk or stoned.
It can be public disorder or a case of DUI if you are drunk or stoned in public, but not in a private home.
It's illegal to be in possession of drugs. And if the intent is to distribute the drugs one way or another, it's very illegal!
So I guess the police had a test taken, merely to see if Marius was under influence of something while he did what he did.

Only after Marius Borg Høiby had left the apartment in Oslo West, the police was contacted by the offended woman in her 20s.
When the police arrived at the scene, the apartment was partially destroyed. A brief questioning of the woman was carried out, before she was taken straight to hospital. (..)

Lawyer Mette Yvonne Larsen will meet the woman against whom Marius Borg Høiby is charged with bodily harm on Friday.
So far, Larsen has not commented on the case as a legal aid lawyer.
- I'm going to have a meeting with her today, and then we'll see, says Larsen in a message to NTB on Friday morning.
The Oslo police district has also informed Nettavisen that they will not come up with anything new in the case during the day.
- There is nothing new coming from the police today, writes press manager Unni Grøndal in an SMS on Friday morning.

Aftenposten is informed by central sources in the case that Marius Borg Høiby was arrested at Jansløkka school approx. at 16.00 on Sunday.
The school is located close to the entrance to Skaugum farm, where both the crown prince couple and Høiby live. Høiby went to this school himself. Jansløkka school is 100 meters from the entrance to Skagum farm.

Høiby is said to have met the police at the school as agreed. The arrest is said to have taken place on Sunday afternoon.

Aftenposten is informed by central sources in the case that Marius Borg Høiby was arrested at Jansløkka school approx. at 16.00 on Sunday.
The school is located close to the entrance to Skaugum farm, where both the crown prince couple and Høiby live. Høiby went to this school himself. Jansløkka school is 100 meters from the entrance to Skagum farm.

Høiby is said to have met the police at the school as agreed. The arrest is said to have taken place on Sunday afternoon.
Does that mean the school was the agreed location for the arrest so that the optics of a Royal Family member being arrested on the grounds of the official residence of the Crown Prince is avoided? Just a guess on my end...

Every day more news What happens since he was arrested Sunday at 16.00 ?
I feel sorry for the Norvegian Royal Family .
The suicide of Ari Behn , the contoversal second Wedding to come for Märtha Louise.
The past of the Crown Princess is coming back due to her Son born before her Royal Wedding.

Does that mean the school was the agreed location for the arrest so that the optics of a Royal Family member being arrested on the grounds of the official residence of the Crown Prince is avoided? Just a guess on my end...
If it is the same in Norway as here in Sweden, the police is not allowed to make an arrest at a Royal Estate without having obtained a search warrant… It has to happen outside of it

That was the case when they tried to arrest Patrick Sommerlath (but obviously failed as he with or without help decided to hide)

Last edited:
If it is the same in Norway as here in Sweden, the police is not allowed to make an arrest at a Royal Estate without having obtained a search warrant… It has to happen outside of it

That was the case when they tried to arrest Patrick Sommerlath (but obviously failed as he with or without help decided to hide)
Thanks for the clarification, that's interesting to learn.

I've heard of accused persons surrendering at a police station voluntarily in the United States. I'm sure there are many deciding factors, but if the accused person is cooperative and the objective is met (taking the person into detention) then why not?

well that's nice. Calling and asking where he wants to be arrested.
Let me go down the street...

This is weird to me.
It's actually quite common here in Scandinavia. After being arrested on the spot, this is probably the most common way of being arrested-
If the police know who a perpetrator is, they will usually try and call him and more often than not it ends up with the perpetrator either giving himself up, giving himself up with his layer or a parent or just says: Yeah, okay. I'm here at X, come and pick me up. - Or he ask to be arrested somewhere else, so that family and neighbors don't see it.

In this case I can imagine the security police and perhaps his layer was present when the arrest was made.
Of course the security police can arrest him, but I suspect everybody preferred it was the ordinary police who did it.
- Imagine the headlines: Security police arrest Marius at a royal residence!

It is common in other European countries too.

In the end (as bad as the whole thing is) it probably was rather clear that he isn't a danger for the public, the victim is also not in danger anymore and there is no way he would flee because of who he is.

Am I understanding this correctly? Marius was contacted and agreed to be arrested at a school near his childhood home, and from there he was taken into custody and spent 30 hours in a drunk tank?

Am I understanding this correctly? Marius was contacted and agreed to be arrested at a school near his childhood home, and from there he was taken into custody and spent 30 hours in a drunk tank?

Not his childhood home, he lives at the Crown Prince Couple's Skaugum estate

Unfortunately I don't think he has diagnosed mental issues. If he had and it was pretty obvious to the police they would likely have taken him to the ER, or at least let a doctor look at him, rather than just keeping him for 30 hours.
It would have taken some minutes for someone authorized to look at his medical record (*) and if he suffers from some sort of disorder it would IMO be more likely that he was committed to a psychiatric ward, pending further evaluation.
Anyway, Norwegian security police was involved as well and surely they would know if he has mental issues, an addiction or a history of anger fits. Something the ordinary police may not know about.

(*) I'm pretty sure that Marius' medical records and all other personal details are considered extra sensitive and as such only people at a certain level can access them. To prevent someone snooping out of mere curiosity.
I don't know about the rules of confidentiality for medical records in Norway, but if it's similar to the Swedish ones, then it's very difficult for authorities/police/and in some cases even doctors, to get access to a patient's medical records without the patient's permission. The rules apply to all patients, not just "wellknown people". The GDPR law probably also covers medical records.

Mette Yvonne Larsen writes in a message to VG that the woman is asking for calm in the case.
- The victim wants to avoid speculation in the case, writes Larsen.
The woman has received medical supervision after the incident with Borg Høiby.
- For the sake of the investigation, she cannot elaborate on other information about physical injuries other than that she is on sick leave.

Could be.
The times I've been to the ER, or brought my children to the ER, I've never been asked for permission and the entries from doctors treating us went straight into the medical records. Which I can of course also access online myself. Mrs. Muhler, who has a leadership function within the care sector, can also access the medical records of her clients. Usually in regards to medication or treatments after an injury and so on. In DK at least this is based on trust. And it happens at times that a healthcare worker, social worker and what not is caught looking at such records without reason. Or attempting to look at the records of people who are classified, which set off all the alarmbells, because all logins are registered. That's ground for termination.
Anyway, in the case of an emergency, like Marius (perhaps) being brought into the ER in a state of psychosis or he appears to be under the influence of something, I'd say the doctors would be interested in knowing ASAP whether he has a medical history and is under medication and what kind of medication or if he has some other ailments that could affect his health if not taken into consideration. In the case of Marius, I'm pretty confident that such records are classified so that only people with a certain classification can access them.

Back
Top Bottom