King Constantine has passed away - January 10, 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Princess Anne is a good representative for the BRF but I still feel it’s rather poor that the King, who was very close to King Constantine, won’t be there, nor will the Prince of Wales, who was his godson.
My thoughts exactly. However, the BRF has historically done this. So nothing new there.

UK Sovereign's don't attend foreign funerals - the late Queen only did it once in her 70 years on the throne. Why we are still talking about it now...

Do Prince Nikolaos & Tatiana live in Athens? I assume most of the family are having to stay in hotels? I hope the funeral all goes to plan for the family's sake.

UK Sovereign's don't attend foreign funerals - the late Queen only did it once in her 70 years on the throne. Why we are still talking about it now...

Do Prince Nikolaos & Tatiana live in Athens? I assume most of the family are having to stay in hotels? I hope the funeral all goes to plan for the family's sake.

Athens is a big metropolis with lots of hotels.

Plus most royals can use the residence of their Ambassador or the Embassy itself as a pied-à-terre if desired. Just for an example, the impressive luxurious and art-studded mansion in the popular film Intouchables in reality is nothing less than the Paris' residence of the Ambassador of the Netherlands and his family.

Most likely the residences of the Ambassadors of Sweden, the UK, Spain, etc. in Athens will be stately enough to host royals when there are no accomodations.

Last edited:
I don't doubt Athens can accomodate them all. I just feel sorry for the immediate family having to mourn whilst staying in hotels (not to mention the cost - which must be large and a worry for all but Pavlos and MC)

Good to know about the Embassy residence in Paris - looks fancy then!

I don't doubt Athens can accomodate them all. I just feel sorry for the immediate family having to mourn whilst staying in hotels (not to mention the cost - which must be large and a worry for all but Pavlos and MC)

Good to know about the Embassy residence in Paris - looks fancy then!
I wouldn’t be wound up too much, Nina is from a wealthy family, Tatiana is well-off, Alexia and her husband don’t seem too bad, I can’t say much for others.

Have we seen Alexia's family there? I've only seen her in pictures not her husband or children (though I'm not sure I'd recognise them). TBH I forgot all the sons seemed to marry rich.

Have we seen Alexia's family there? I've only seen her in pictures not her husband or children (though I'm not sure I'd recognise them). TBH I forgot all the sons seemed to marry rich.

They probably had school/university obligations, so might only arrive this weekend. I assume they will be present for the funeral itself.

The ongoing discussion about who attended who's birthday/wedding/anniversary and the like has been removed.
By now we are moving in circles concerning the attendance of members of other royal families, especially the British one.
So time to end this and move on. Thank you!

I'm Greek and not especially royalist.
But the last 30 years i feel ashamed about the way HM The King has been treated by his country. They treated him like if he was the worst criminal who put in blood the whole country. The last 80 years many people involved in delicate and sad moments of our history have been forgiven and they managed to have their life in Greece with peace.
But for the late King one part of the population plus some political parties continued to have such a hate which I don't accept. They took out his nationality (it almost never happens in Greece) they took his property and refuse him to keep his name and title. They called him the Ex (former) or the Gluksburg.
Since the referendum has abolished the Monarchy he accepted it and never tried to provoke any issues or fights inside the country (he had 30% pros, civil war was not impossible ).
I'm sad that he passed but I'm happy he passed in his homeland.
Queen AM is a precious jem for pur country, we don't worth her.
And the last action of this sad behavior is that he has been deprived of the honors appropriate to his position. Once a King always a King.
I will try to pay my respects Monday, not sure I will manage to.
RIP the most Greek and the most innocent soul of all the Royals we had in Greece the last 2 centuries.

I wonder if Empress Farah of Iran will be there. The late Shah basically gave a job to Constantine after 1974 and at one point the two couples were very close and spent some holidays together. In return the GRF was very supportive to Farah after 1979.

As far i can see the royal turnout seems, indeed, impressive. Hope the organisation will be a tad better than during Frederika's funerals in 1981, who turned out as a total circus.

Thank you fandesacs2003 for your thoughts as a Greek citizen. I wonder if Anne Marie seen favourably in the country? I always get the impression she is but maybe just the whole RF are unliked and not discussed much.

I do wonder about how well the funeral will go. I heard Frederika's wasn't done very smoothly and with such resistance to the event by the Greek govt it seems it won't be as smooth as funerals like the late Queen's Elizabeth's which have been long planned and have the support of every part of the state infrastructure to help it.

They were only given 24 hours to bury Frederica and leave. It's almost guaranteed this will be smoother since it's not going under a deadline.

According to Andreas Megos at his instagram, ERT will transmite the funeral in the Athens Cathedral and the chapel of St. Eleftherios on Monday at 11:00 am (06:00 am in Brasília time) and the procession and burial in Tatoi will be broadcasted exclusively by private TV channels

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FmX8FtVWABkUnUx?format=jpg&name=large

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to get a better idea of how Constantine himself is related to many royal houses in Europe... (and that is without taking into account that his wife also closely related to several royal houses)

MAIN LINE:
King George I - King Constantine I - King Paul I - King Constantine II - Crown Prince Pavlos

SISTER is Queen-Emerita of Spain/Nephew is King of Spain:
King George I - King Constantine I - King Paul I - Queen(-Consort) Sofia (of Spain) - King Felipe (of Spain)

FIRST COUSIN was king of Romania/First cousin once removed is 'Custodian of the Crown':
King George I - King Constantine I - Queen(-Consort) Helen (of Romania) - King Mihai (of Romania) - Margaretha, Custodian of the Crown (Romania)

AUNT was temporarily Queen of Croatia (disputed) and wife/mother/grandmother of the 4th til 6th/current Dukes of Aosta (who therefore is his first cousin once removed):
King George I - King Constantine I - Queen(-Consort) Irene (of Croatia)/Duchess of Aosta - Prince Amedeo, 5th Duke of Aosta - Prince Aimone, 6th Duke of Aosta

The Duke's wife is also a SECOND COUSIN herself:
King George I - Prince Christopher - Prince Michael - Princess Olga (Duchess of Aosta)

SECOND COUSIN is a member of the house of Radziwill (and one of queen Sofia's best friends)
King George I - Prince George - Princess Eugenie - Princess Tatiana (Radziwill)

SECOND COUSIN is the current head of the Castel Duino branch of the House of Thurn und Taxis
King George I - Prince George - Princess Eugenie - Prince Carlo Allessandro (della Torre e Tasso, 3rd Duke of Castel Duino)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of the Bernadotte siblings (who are members of the extended Swedish royal family)
King George I - Princess Alexandra - Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna (of Russia)/Duchess of Södermanland - Count Lennart (Bernadotte) - Countess Bettina (Bernadotte) (and her siblings)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of Dimitri of Yugoslavia and his siblings
King George I - Prince Nicholas - Princess Olga - Prince Alexander (of Yugoslavia) - Prince Dimitri (of Yugoslavia)

SECOND COUSIN of a Count of Törring-Jettenbach
King George I - Prince Nicholas - Princess Elizabeth - Hans Veit (Count of Törring-Jettenbach)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of a Archduchess Sophie of Austria and TWICE REMOVED of the future head of the House of Windisch-Graetz
King George I - Prince Nicholas - Princess Elizabeth - Helene (Countess of Törring-Jettenbach) - Archduchess Sophie (of Austria/Habsburg) - Prince Maximilian Hugo (of Windisch-Graetz)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of the current Head of the House Hohenlohe-Langenburg
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Margarita - Prince Crato (of Hohenlohe-Langenburg) - Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

SECOND COUSIN of the former Margrave of Baden who passed away less than three weeks ago; second cousin once removed of the new Margrave (i.e., Head of the House).
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Theodora - Prince Maximilian (Margrave of Baden) - Prince Bernhard (Margrave of Baden)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of another prince (and princess) of Yugoslavia
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Theodora - Princess Margarita (of Baden) - Prince Nikola (of Yugoslavia)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of another princess of Yugoslavia
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Sophie - princess Christina (of Hesse) - princess Maria Tatiana (of Yugoslavia)

SECOND COUSIN of various princes and princess of Hesse and of Hanover (and/or 'once removed' from their children)
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Sophie - princes and princesses of Hesse AS WELL AS princes and a princess of Hanover

SECOND COUSIN is king of the UK:
King George I - Prince Andrew - Prince Philip - King Charles III (of the UK)

Last edited:
I'm Greek and not especially royalist.
But the last 30 years i feel ashamed about the way HM The King has been treated by his country. They treated him like if he was the worst criminal who put in blood the whole country. The last 80 years many people involved in delicate and sad moments of our history have been forgiven and they managed to have their life in Greece with peace.
But for the late King one part of the population plus some political parties continued to have such a hate which I don't accept. They took out his nationality (it almost never happens in Greece) they took his property and refuse him to keep his name and title. They called him the Ex (former) or the Gluksburg.
Since the referendum has abolished the Monarchy he accepted it and never tried to provoke any issues or fights inside the country (he had 30% pros, civil war was not impossible ).
I'm sad that he passed but I'm happy he passed in his homeland.
Queen AM is a precious jem for pur country, we don't worth her.
And the last action of this sad behavior is that he has been deprived of the honors appropriate to his position. Once a King always a King.
I will try to pay my respects Monday, not sure I will manage to.
RIP the most Greek and the most innocent soul of all the Royals we had in Greece the last 2 centuries.

I agree with you. thank you by publish this

He was a great Greek. In 1997, when the Athens 2004 Olympic bid was lost, the Greek Olympic Committee called him, he didn't think about it, he said YES. He defended the Greek Olympic candidacy, even though he did not have a Greek passport, and it was possible that he could not even go to those Olympics, but it did not matter to him because Greece was his beloved homeland, and he defended his beloved homeland giving his all... we all know That thanks to the King we got that candidacy, in Greece everyone knew it but nobody thanked him, but it did not matter to him, he was grateful. Constantine was a good man. I wish there were many Greeks like him. He loved Greece, Greece was Constantine. Queen Anne-Marie is great Greek, Constantine taught her to be a great Greek. She is wonderful, I am very sad for her, 60 years together...

I agree with you. thank you by publish this

He was a great Greek. In 1997, when the Athens 2004 Olympic bid was lost, the Greek Olympic Committee called him, he didn't think about it, he said YES. He defended the Greek Olympic candidacy, even though he did not have a Greek passport, and it was possible that he could not even go to those Olympics, but it did not matter to him because Greece was his beloved homeland, and he defended his beloved homeland giving his all... we all know That thanks to the King we got that candidacy, in Greece everyone knew it but nobody thanked him, but it did not matter to him, he was grateful. Constantine was a good man. I wish there were many Greeks like him. He loved Greece, Greece was Constantine. Queen Anne-Marie is great Greek, Constantine taught her to be a great Greek. She is wonderful, I am very sad for her, 60 years together...
I am hoping Miller Money will help with embarrassment at Tatoi….

I haven't read anything about Prince Michael of Greece. I wonder if he will be attending.

Miller and Flohr money, BUT it really depends on the Greek government, I doubt either MC or Nina would hesitate on pulling all their weight on this if they are allowed to.

It is not si simple. I doubt they would be allowed to do anything. Tatoi has been stolen from the GRF and left in full catastrophy the last 30 years. It is a crazy syndrome of some parties that if anyone thinks abt taking care of Tatoi...he is royalist, he wants royalty back and he is a danger for our republic.
Money coming from such a wealthy sources than Miller's or Flohr... they will start shouting that we accept private capitalistic interests to interfere to public property.... no solution.
I'm also not sure that the previously mentioned families want to put their money. Especially MC never showed any interest to her husband's roots, out of using them to access the international Gotha.
For Nina we still don't know.

Pigs will fly before the Greek government would allow such a thing. The government wouldn’t even allow them to buy back the property so no chance

Just to get a better idea of how Constantine himself is related to many royal houses in Europe... (and that is without taking into account that his wife also closely related to several royal houses)

MAIN LINE:
King George I - King Constantine I - King Paul I - King Constantine II - Crown Prince Pavlos

SISTER is Queen-Emerita of Spain/Nephew is King of Spain:
King George I - King Constantine I - King Paul I - Queen(-Consort) Sofia (of Spain) - King Felipe (of Spain)

FIRST COUSIN was king of Romania/First cousin once removed is 'Custodian of the Crown':
King George I - King Constantine I - Queen(-Consort) Helen (of Romania) - King Mihai (of Romania) - Margaretha, Custodian of the Crown (Romania)

AUNT was temporarily Queen of Croatia (disputed) and wife/mother/grandmother of the 4th til 6th/current Dukes of Aosta (who therefore is his first cousin once removed):
King George I - King Constantine I - Queen(-Consort) Irene (of Croatia)/Duchess of Aosta - Prince Amedeo, 5th Duke of Aosta - Prince Aimone, 6th Duke of Aosta

The Duke's wife is also a SECOND COUSIN herself:
King George I - Prince Christopher - Prince Michael - Princess Olga (Duchess of Aosta)

SECOND COUSIN is a member of the house of Radziwill (and one of queen Sofia's best friends)
King George I - Prince George - Princess Eugenie - Princess Tatiana (Radziwill)

SECOND COUSIN is the current head of the Castel Duino branch of the House of Thurn und Taxis
King George I - Prince George - Princess Eugenie - Prince Carlo Allessandro (della Torre e Tasso, 3rd Duke of Castel Duino)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of the Bernadotte siblings (who are members of the extended Swedish royal family)
King George I - Princess Alexandra - Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna (of Russia)/Duchess of Södermanland - Count Lennart (Bernadotte) - Countess Bettina (Bernadotte) (and her siblings)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of Dimitri of Yugoslavia and his siblings
King George I - Prince Nicholas - Princess Olga - Prince Alexander (of Yugoslavia) - Prince Dimitri (of Yugoslavia)

SECOND COUSIN of a Count of Törring-Jettenbach
King George I - Prince Nicholas - Princess Elizabeth - Hans Veit (Count of Törring-Jettenbach)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of a Archduchess Sophie of Austria and TWICE REMOVED of the future head of the House of Windisch-Graetz
King George I - Prince Nicholas - Princess Elizabeth - Helene (Countess of Törring-Jettenbach) - Archduchess Sophie (of Austria/Habsburg) - Prince Maximilian Hugo (of Windisch-Graetz)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of the current Head of the House Hohenlohe-Langenburg
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Margarita - Prince Crato (of Hohenlohe-Langenburg) - Prince Philipp of Hohenlohe-Langenburg

SECOND COUSIN of the former Margrave of Baden who passed away less than three weeks ago; second cousin once removed of the new Margrave (i.e., Head of the House).
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Theodora - Prince Maximilian (Margrave of Baden) - Prince Bernhard (Margrave of Baden)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of another prince (and princess) of Yugoslavia
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Theodora - Princess Margarita (of Baden) - Prince Nikola (of Yugoslavia)

SECOND COUSIN ONCE REMOVED of another princess of Yugoslavia
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Sophie - princess Christina (of Hesse) - princess Maria Tatiana (of Yugoslavia)

SECOND COUSIN of various princes and princess of Hesse and of Hanover (and/or 'once removed' from their children)
King George I - Prince Andrew - Princess Sophie - princes and princesses of Hesse AS WELL AS princes and a princess of Hanover

SECOND COUSIN is king of the UK:
King George I - Prince Andrew - Prince Philip - King Charles III (of the UK)

And not to forgot all the relationships who go via his mother like to Hanover, Prussia etc.

MC' s parents, Alexia' s Mother- in- law, Nina's parents and Tatjanas parents might attend as well.
Have Carlos and the children arrived meanwhile?

That is indeed an absurd statement. As far as I know there are no marxist or communist parties in Greece nowadays.

I watched most of the videos you sent me and really have to renounce my former views of the Greek Royals. Constantine comes across to me as a very intelligent, friendly and humorous man. I will watch further documentaries about him, his family and his history.

You know how I got the bad image of them? The Instagram presence of Pavlos wife and especially daughter Olympia caused that.

Maybe that is an oldfashioned view, but it really didn't impress me and I thought "what kind of royal family is this"and them always using their titles angered me
Because, if they had not the titles they just were affluent nobodys.

Please don't misunderstand me , all my respect for the Ex-King and his wife and his children and grandchildren, of whom we dont know much (except for Pavlos and his wife)

But that is the thing to do nowadays, being present on Instagram, TklTok and so on, and then it helps being royal.

But, again, that is just a glimpse of the whole picture. Reading or looking about what their other children are doing or not doing because they keep private, I have an interest in them (Like wishing for Theodora to marry, being happy about the youngest son having married Nina Flohr, Nicholaos happily married to Tatiana, Alexia, who we almost know nothing about, but is still happily married and has four childen)

I had never known so much about Constantine's history, now I know and , in comparison to other European countries that abolished monarchies, they really have treated him bad, which he did not deserve!

I feel especially for Annemarie, although she must have been prepared of her husband's pending death, it is still devasting, after such a long and happy marriage.

i wonder where she will be living in the future.But I am sure that her big family will support her.

You are not alone!
Realistically a girl with the background of Marie-Chantal only had a chance to marry the greek prince Pavlos because her father had the money Pavlos urgently needed,
though not predicting there was/is no love between the two! If Pavlos had married a girl not having a rich Daddy, we had not seen pictures, tweets ...

Funnily enough I have been thinking about the greek spare since Harry's book.
Nikoleios is positive example of a spare, he&Tatiana have shown much more interest&love in Greece than Pavlos&fam.
but again this is a non-reigning house everything is different,
M-C tweets against other royals are only possible (still tasteless) because she is zero important in royalty. She is not a hero for telling her opinion, she is simply not of any importance one would pay respect to.

And Constantine's funeral is most probably the last and ever moment of importance for Pavlos&M-C in sort of some official function as the first born son to a former King.
I do not speak of a crown prince's position or title because there simply is no country he could reign over and won't be.
Pavlos knows that well and did not behave like one.
The royal greek era ended with Constantine's death.
Next generation, if they " succed" will be social media celebs only.

Nikolaeus&Tatiana are respected from Greeks who met them and see their honest interest and love for Greece.

I haven't read anything about Prince Michael of Greece. I wonder if he will be attending.

I'd like to know as well. When he was a young man, he was close to his cousins. Not sure about now. But I hope he'll attend.

On another note,the late Kings autobiography is a bestseller in Greece right now,1000 pages and 400 photos,3 volumes.Good!!

On another note,the late Kings autobiography is a bestseller in Greece right now,1000 pages and 400 photos,3 volumes.Good!!

I wasn't aware the late King released an autobiography. What is the title of the book and where can we find it? Would very much like to read it.

Back
Top Bottom