King Charles & Queen Camilla - Visit to Australia and Samoa: October 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The King and Queen met up with their friend Joanna Lumley on the forecourt of the Opera House this afternoon, ahead of the Naval Review.

(Ms Lumley is doing her show there tonight.)

There was only one other person near us when the vessel carrying the official party did a sail around the edge of Farm Cove.

My husband came with me today, and we were able to have a good look at both Charles and Camilla standing in the back of the boat with some others.

The King looked happy and waved.

The Queen kept hold of a rail holding up the canopy … she was right at the rear and maybe felt a little unsteady.

Everybody was standing up, quite a lot of people, but it was easy to spot the Couple as they were at the side facing towards the land.

A flyover of seventeen helicopters in formation, four fighter jets who went over a couple of times, the Australian flag and the Navy flag flew around us over and over hanging from noisey military helicopters.

We heard a big HipHipHooray from one of the frigates as the Royal vessel circled it.

The ships are still in place on the Harbour now, even though it’s starting to get dark.

And the weather held, no whiteout.

Last edited:
The King and Queen met up with their friend Joanna Lumley on the forecourt of the Opera House this afternoon, ahead of the Naval Review.

(Ms Lumley is doing her show there tonight.)
Miss Lumley is a Dame since 2022 and wonderful to see her with the King and Queen.
(I believe Dame Lumley is on Tour down under)

Miss Lumley is a Dame since 2022 and wonderful to see her with the King and Queen.
(I believe Dame Lumley is on Tour down under)
Yes she is An Ard Ri … tonight at the Opera House and tomorrow at the Seymour Centre I think. She’s just come over from Perth.

Some video footage of the Fleet Review in this report …

Last edited:
Were there any street or community parties to mark the Royal visit?

No, working and school days today and yesterday An Ard Ari, and rest day for the Couple on Saturday. It was a Church and State day on Sunday and they are off tomorrow morning.

A short, sharp and sweet visit.

Great time had by all here though. Great coverage by our Australian media.

I saw one Australian Royal Reporter say something along the lines of his UK counterparts having to scramble to understand the thing about our country’s system of states … when the State Premiers declined the official Reception in Canberra.

I think what these few days may have looked like to people back in the UK is probably different to how people here in Sydney and Canberra experienced it all.

We had fun.

There was a lot of goodwill towards both Charles and Camilla.

Whatever agenda others … media from the UK or unhappy individuals here … may have had, to me their ideas weren’t what actually happened.

Another video of the Fleet Review …

Last edited:

Just a short clip but what is nice about this video is that the people who are not pro Monarchy are polite and respectful when discussing it. Something perhaps Ms Thorpe should note. One lady even says she loves the monarchy but it might be time to move on. Nothing personal against King Charles whatsoever.

So what this tells me is that it is possible to like and respect the monarchy and be in favour of a republic at the same time, which I actually hadn't considered before.

I don't live in Australia of course, but personally my impression is that many people are still very keen on keeping things as they are :)

It has been such an enjoyable Visit and thanks to all who contributed!
The final Day in Australia.

The King and Queen at Parramatta Park

Visit to the Melanoma Institute Australia, Sydney.

Last edited:

Just a short clip but what is nice about this video is that the people who are not pro Monarchy are polite and respectful when discussing it. Something perhaps Ms Thorpe should note. One lady even says she loves the monarchy but it might be time to move on. Nothing personal against King Charles whatsoever.

So what this tells me is that it is possible to like and respect the monarchy and be in favour of a republic at the same time, which I actually hadn't considered before.

I don't live in Australia of course, but personally my impression is that many people are still very keen on keeping things as they are :)
I think the concern is also well who do we get in their place.

Fantastic to see the crowds at the Opera House to see the King and Queen in Sydney. Often we hear so much about the republic movement in Australia but I think out gets overlooked the crowds to see the royals on visits

That’s right. It would be one thing for me to go around heckling at people, but it’s quite another when you are elected to represent your constituents. You have the responsibility to conduct yourself with a certain degree of decorum and dignity. The inability of politicians to be civil is really off putting to me even if I believed in your cause.

The king and queen reviewed the Australian Navy at Sydney Harbour

The king also unveiled a new charity called 'The King’s Foundation Australia' at a special reception at Admiralty House in Sydney .

Charles is looking so well in all the photos but what a trip! Not only a very long voyage with jet lag, but I heard that annoying sky news reporter say he had 17 engagements yesterday! If that is true it really seems a bit much. Glad the visit is over

Charles is looking so well in all the photos but what a trip! Not only a very long voyage with jet lag, but I heard that annoying sky news reporter say he had 17 engagements yesterday! If that is true it really seems a bit much. Glad the visit is over
Yes there was a lot packed into the Australia visit but they seemed to take in their stride.

That’s right. It would be one thing for me to go around heckling at people, but it’s quite another when you are elected to represent your constituents. You have the responsibility to conduct yourself with a certain degree of decorum and dignity. The inability of politicians to be civil is really off putting to me even if I believed in your cause.
Exactly!

Why does he feel the need to comment on his majesty's visit to one of his realms? Do the prime ministers of other realms also have public opinions about this visit and at other times about how he goes about his engagements in the UK?
In fairness, he may well have been asked to comment. The Media would enjoy asking him about the heckler.

Why does he feel the need to comment on his majesty's visit to one of his realms? Do the prime ministers of other realms also have public opinions about this visit and at other times about how he goes about his engagements in the UK?
Reading the article, it looks like Sir Kier was asked about it after the King was heckled.

Back
Top Bottom