Introductory/State Visits to Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands & Greenland: 2024, 2025

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In case you are wondering what Vincent and Josephine are up to: They are lighting a "tranlampe" = a lamp fueled by whale-blubber.
Whale-oil and whale-blubber was a major industry until electricity and electrical generators became small and cheap enough to be widespread.

I notice Josephine has had her hair and nails done.
On day, out of the blue, you find yourself following your daughter around in a cosmetics department while she is happily chirping away about hues and scents and wonder: What happened?!?

Photos of today in Nuuk:

Last edited:
Has the King and Queen not given any speeches during this visit? Or is it the HomePage that is not updated?

What a wonderful day 6.
The twins are doing a fanatic job.
From the DRF

Video of their arrival to Nuuk
Frederik waits for Mary and a little hand holding. While Jospehine corrects Vincent on where to stand ; )
So lovely and natural

The pictures, so many people so close. Lovely

"The memorial stone was in honor of the polar explorer Arnarulunnguaq. As the only female polar explorer, she took part in the famous 5th Thule expedition in the period from 1921 to 1924."
Frederik and Mary took part.

"When the King came out for me, he recognized me and exclaimed, "I think we met before"

Following social media, the people of Greenland have so many stories and wonderful things to say on Frederik and Mary and the royal family.

From the government

The German term "kaiserwetter = really great weather!" may not have been translated to English or Danish, but here in DK the term Kaiserwetter or kaiser-whatever-it-is has to an extent been adopted but in a humorous way.
It's all down to a series of Danish commercials that bears a - ahem - slight resemblance to an Austrian schlager-singer whose first name is Hansi. (He has a considerable and very devoted fan-following in DK BTW.)
The parody is so uncanny that I honestly thought it was the one and only Hanzi Hinterseer when first I saw them.
- Some of you may appreciate the subtle details. - Certainly Elvis the Pelvis would have taken one look at him and gone home to Tennessee and forgot all about singing...
ADDED: Forget about the age-restriction, it's only YouTube being silly.

I suppose the closest British English equivalent was calling it "Queen's weather" (for Victoria!) whenever it stopped raining and the sun came out for something...

I haven't checked but question, while they are in Greenland is the crown prince in charge of covering up the job for his father, like a temporary regent type of arrangement? I recall he was in charge one week and even signed official documents for Frederick while the king was away.

I haven't checked but question, while they are in Greenland is the crown prince in charge of covering up the job for his father, like a temporary regent type of arrangement? I recall he was in charge one week and even signed official documents for Frederick while the king was away.
As Crown Prince Christian is automatically Regent when his father is outside the realm - but King Frederik is still within the realm, so Christian can celebrate all he wants. No getting up at the crack of noon to sign documents. And the Parliament is away on summer holiday anyway and won't convene again until October.

What's the Greenlandic female dress called? It seems so elaborate...

What's the Greenlandic female dress called? It seems so elaborate...
Both men and women's national costumes are called a kalaallisuut.

Mary is wearing the West Greenlandic kalaallisuut which beads and sealskin pants. There are two other women's costumes which Isabella and Josephine sported at their visit in 2014. Isabella wore the East Greenlandic version and Josephine wore the Northwest Greenlandic version (also called the "Thule dress").

A shame we probably don't get to see the twins in the kalaallisuut this time around – I hope they keep representing all Greenland's regions. I know for my family in Tasiilaq, it was very special seeing Isabella wear "our" regional dress back in 2014.

Has the King and Queen not given any speeches during this visit? Or is it the HomePage that is not updated?
Frederik did at the parliament's dinner tonight – during which he, too, simply referred to the twins as Minik and Ivalo 😊

Will Mary receive the Nersornaat?
She did on 4 June and has worn the order during the visit with her kalaallisuut.

For the first time! No?
They look fantastic and the dinner. But more importantly so happy and joyful. Everyone looks pleased

Yes! She received it on Frederik's birthday, so after their visits to Sweden and Norway. This is the first occasion she's had to wear it. :)

Short answer on the phone
There are two languages in Greenland and they have nothing in common with the Nordic languages except for a few modern Danish words.
More later.
I can help with this one… Inuktitut is the generic name for the indigenous languages and dialects of the circumpolar regions. The first language of the current Canadian Governor General is Inuktitut as she is from northern Québec. Greenlandic will be understood by the Inuit, much as Scandinavians understand one another.

Frederik did at the parliament's dinner tonight – during which he, too, simply referred to the twins as Minik and Ivalo 😊

A deeply personal speech, where Frederik highlighted his connection and growth to Greenland, and Mary's too.

"Almost half a year ago, my time as king started. It is a task I have been preparing for most of my life.
Part of the preparation took place on the fjord off Nuuk.
Part of the preparation took place on a dog sled in North Greenland.
Part of the preparation happened when I lost my heart to Greenland and the Greenlanders."

Frederik and Mary returning from the dinner to the Dannebrog on a very windy night. Frederik helped Mary and with her dress.

A deeply personal speech, where Frederik highlighted his connection and growth to Greenland, and Mary's too.

"Almost half a year ago, my time as king started. It is a task I have been preparing for most of my life.
Part of the preparation took place on the fjord off Nuuk.
Part of the preparation took place on a dog sled in North Greenland.
Part of the preparation happened when I lost my heart to Greenland and the Greenlanders."

Frederik and Mary returning from the dinner to the Dannebrog on a very windy night. Frederik helped Mary and with her dress.
It was a wonderful speech with many references to his personal connection to Greenland and the Greenlandic people through the years and now Mary's as well.

Question:
I noticed the king is wearing medals over his coat, Besøg i Grønland - dag 6 does that make this part of the visits an official formal daytime event? Is he going to a location in the town where he would meet with the local community leaders in a formal setting?

I noticed the page led me to this part, the King's Speech at the Greenland Parliament (have your broweser translate to English if link defaults back to Danish)

Excerpt:
"Denmark and Greenland share values and history, and despite the human and cultural costs of the past, we are connected. The relationship between Greenland and Denmark rests on respect for what we have in common and for what we each represent. We are different, but we can enjoy and benefit from each other. I am living proof of that.

Almost six months ago, my time as king started. It's a task I've been preparing for most of my life. Part of the preparation took place on the fjord off Nuuk. Part of the preparation took place on a dog sled in North Greenland. Part of the preparation happened when I lost my heart to Greenland and the Greenlanders..."

Last edited:
"Can one lose one's heart for a people and country?
DRF pics from the reception last night

From Day 7

The King participates in a visit to the school Nuussuup Atuarfia in Nuuk, where the King meets school students who have participated in projects and competitions with the Foundation for Entrepreneurship, Kalaallit Nunaat.

Last edited:
Video of Frederik's speech last night. Wonderful!

Can you lose your heart to a people and a country?

Yes, I can confirm that. Greenland has a very special meaning for my family and for me. Queen Mary and I are therefore incredibly happy to be here together with Prince Vincent Minik and Princess Josephine Ivalo.

"Can one lose one's heart for a people and country?
DRF pics from the reception last night

From Day 7

The King participates in a visit to the school Nuussuup Atuarfia in Nuuk, where the King meets school students who have participated in projects and competitions with the Foundation for Entrepreneurship, Kalaallit Nunaat.
Video from local news. Shows alot of video of Mary visiting the kids and some video from Day 6 including what appears to be the moment Mary got accidentally hit by the scooter.

Thanks for all those pictures. What a great visit, I have never seen Mary that relaxed, a joy to see. She is usually more tense at such visits, maybe it is different because this time they are around 'normal' people all the time.

Video from local news. Shows alot of video of Mary visiting the kids and some video from Day 6 including what appears to be the moment Mary got accidentally hit by the scooter.

Such a cute video with the little kids. Im glad Mary's foundation is around, those purple bears are recognizable.

The royal couple in Igaliku

At Narsarsuaq

I love that last photo with Frederik's hand on Mary's shoulder. I just love those two. Not to mention, he has a gorgeous smile. I'm glad they've both been enjoying their trip to Greenland as much as they have.

Back
Top Bottom