Introductory/State Visits to Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands & Greenland: 2024, 2025

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Such a cute video with the little kids. Im glad Mary's foundation is around, those purple bears are recognizable.

The royal couple in Igaliku

At Narsarsuaq
Some lovely photos posted on DRF Facebook from their visit to Igaliku.

Green valleys and icebergs on the sea welcomed Their Majesties the King and Queen to South Greenland today 🇬🇱🌱

The royal couple will spend the night in the small village of Igaliku, which is located in the area where Erik the Red's ship arrived to more than 1,000 years ago.

Their Majesties walked to the village along "Kongevejen", which was named after Frederik 9th's visit in 1952.

I love that last photo with Frederik's hand on Mary's shoulder. I just love those two. Not to mention, he has a gorgeous smile. I'm glad they've both been enjoying their trip to Greenland as much as they have.
I agree. Such a sweet photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and from the caption, Frederik and Mary will be spending the night in the small village of Igaliku.
Tomorrow they will visit Qassiarsuk, which has 65 inhabitants. Love they the visit even the smallest villages all across Greenland and not just focus on the largest cities. what a treat!

Very funny!
Queen Mary to the police officers, at the airport ;
“You look beautiful”
Police officers; “thank you Queen”
After 3 seconds… Queen Mary: “The dogs”

Queen Mary was hit by a scooter yesterday during her visit to Greenland.
The Royal Household confirmed the incident but said the Queen was not injured.

What?!?!?!
Did you saw that video? He hit her at bone breaking speed and you can see on her face and attempt to walk it off how shaken she is. How did that scooter got so close not just of her but on all the people surrounding her?

More about it:
Royal Family Confirms: Queen Mary Hit in Greenland Scooter Incident
Excerpt
"Spectators in the video gasp in amazement as the scooter hits Queen Mary. A PET guard quickly intervenes, instructing the scooter rider to move back.
"I do not know what happened," the unnamed scooter rider stated.
Queen Mary, although visibly shaken, remained standing and unharmed. The Royal Household emphasized that the Queen was not injured in the incident..."

Last edited:
What?!?!?!
Did you saw that video? He hit her at bone breaking speed and you can see on her face and attempt to walk it off how shaken she is. How did that scooter got so close not just of her but on all the people surrounding her?
It was a mobility scooter. Apparently the elderly man wanted to shake Mary's hand and at the same time accidentally hit the gas.

Lots of photos of Mary and Frederik in Igaliku in this article.

Love the sense of space and openness some of the photos give.

What?!?!?!

More about it:
Royal Family Confirms: Queen Mary Hit in Greenland Scooter Incident
Excerpt
"Spectators in the video gasp in amazement as the scooter hits Queen Mary. A PET guard quickly intervenes, instructing the scooter rider to move back.
"I do not know what happened," the unnamed scooter rider stated.
Queen Mary, although visibly shaken, remained standing and unharmed. The Royal Household emphasized that the Queen was not injured in the incident..."

I think you're being more than a little hyperbolic. She wasn't hit at "bone-breaking speed." It was an elderly man on a mobility scooter, not Lewis Hamilton in a Formula 1 car. She wasn't even knocked over. I'm sure it startled her, but it wasn't like she got plowed into by a drunk who then took off down the street.

This trip shows King Frederik in his right element and at his best. Just interacting one on one with people around him. This is where his people-skills really shine. - It doesn't exactly detract that he love Greenland and it shows.
There are IIRC some 55-60.000 people in Greenland of which about 10 % are not Greenlanders and that means that King Frederik over the years would have personally met - in various ways - a very large percentage of the whole population. With all of them having had the opportunity to at least say hi to him personally - and thus form a brief personal opinion of him.
I think Queen Mary also enjoyed that she for once took a backseat, so to speak. Because as much as the Greenlanders no doubt like her, this was King Frederik's trip. So there was a little less attention on her, her appearance and her behavior.
And as this trip has so few formalities, it is so much about meeting the Greenlanders and visiting the spectacular country, it would naturally have been unusually relaxed.
It must be enjoyable to be on the job and relaxed at the same time, and for Queen Mary to see how much her husband is relaxed and thoroughly enjoying the whole thing.

Two photos from southern Jutland, actually around the general area where the first Nordic settlements were located. You can tell why they named it Greenland.
For people who came from and probably lived on Iceland southern Greenland really wasn't that bad a place to settle. - Until the climate got colder over the next centuries.
A thousand years ago this scene would have been dotted with sheep, a few grassing cows perhaps and possibly a few sturdy horses, with a farm or two in the horizon.
If you look at the policewoman in this and the photo above, she is most unusually for Danish police, armed with a hunting rifle. I had no idea polar-bears (they are called Nanok in Greenlandic and isbjørn = ice-bear in Danish) strayed that far south during the summer. Or perhaps it's a precaution against wolves or even an irate muskox?

Lots of photos from day 8

Missing their two oldest

A wonderful trip!

Yes this trip is allowing Frederik to shine. The emphasis is not on Mary’s clothes and jewelry which I love, but on plain clothing and interacting with the people and country

Fantastic photos from their last day. What a wonderful trip this has been. King Frederik and Queen Mary have been in top form and the kids did amazing as well! It has been a master class in how royals can be relatable, laid back and connect to the people in a natural and authentic way. You can see that all come through the videos and photos. It all felt very organic. This is how you do soft diplomacy to full effect.

DRF Instagram

Last edited:
Did the twins return to Denmark during the final days of the trip; it seems they haven't been seen since the 'travel day'.

Yes this trip is allowing Frederik to shine. The emphasis is not on Mary’s clothes and jewelry which I love, but on plain clothing and interacting with the people and country
I have noticed since ascending the throne, the royal house has been putting great emphasis on KF’s profile and showcasing his abilities, if you will. First he found a partner to complement and strengthen him while giving her the space to shine, and together they built a great working partnership. QM has now taking a step back to allow the new king to demonstrate and develop his vision/skills. An almost flawless journey with the exception of that incident that shall not be repeated 😠🤞🏽.

Back to the wonderful photos of this fantastic trip. Posted on the Facebook page of the Greenland Gov't.

More photos here

Report from local news

More video from the local news

Even more short clips from local news

Last edited:
Lots of photos from day 8

Missing their two oldest

A wonderful trip!

photos from the DRF Instagram showing the various people that were awarded the Knights Cross. Wonderful!

article by BB

Sounds like Frederik did recreate his grandfathers photo

photos from the DRF Instagram showing the various people that were awarded the Knights Cross. Wonderful!

Oh that's great that they gave photos.
I had seen some of the receiptents post photos of themselves with their awards.
All shared what an honor it was to receive it from Frederik.

Some unique experiences and gifts.

Is it only their husband's heart that has been lost to Greenland?
- No, I would probably agree with that and say that my heart has also been lost to Greenland and the Greenlandic people, says Queen Mary.

Off topic, but I noticed this quote from Polyesco's post above:

So is "their" now officially a gender-neutral form of reference in English? I've seen it so often over the last couple of years.
If so that will come in very handy when I translate, because Danish (as in German) has such a word and it's often tricky to translate correctly.
Now that you've seen the light, we only need to train you English speakers in using formal and informal You/you as well. ;):giggle:

So is "their" now officially a gender-neutral form of reference in English? I've seen it so often over the last couple of years.
No, it's a translation from a Greenlandic article. It would only work if Queen Mary wished to identify as non-binary, or something like that.

Now that you've seen the light, we can train you in that distinctions of 'you' have been strangely unnecessary for the past 200-plus years... 😎

Off topic, but I noticed this quote from Polyesco's post above:

If so that will come in very handy when I translate, because Danish (as in German) has such a word and it's often tricky to translate correctly.
Now that you've seen the light, we only need to train you English speakers in using formal and informal You/you as well. ;):giggle:

I remember that post you made on how extensive the use of pronouns in Danish is. Especially to describe family relations like brother/sister-in-law, grandparents' titles, etc. My head is still spinning on that post from 2022-2023 (?) but it was one of the best posts ever to understand the extensive naming variations of the Danish language.

If the English language wants to reinvent pronouns to the level of complicated the Danish language is saying back 'hold my drink, I'll show your language what are real pronouns' :giggle:

Oh that's great that they gave photos.
I had seen some of the receiptents post photos of themselves with their awards.
All shared what an honor it was to receive it from Frederik.

This is the translation from the message about the medals:

"During the visit to Greenland, His Majesty the King has awarded a number of persons the Knight's Cross of the Order of Dannebrog.

The Order has been personally presented by The King at a number of events, which have either taken place on the Royal Yacht Dannebrog or in connection with the official programme items. The pictures show a number of these events.

In Qaanaq, The King presented the Knight's Cross of the Order of Dannebrog to former hotel owner Hans Aron Jensen. On the Royal Yacht Dannebrog in Aasiaat, Her Majesty presented the Knight's Cross of the Order of Dannebrog to the High Commissioner Julie Præst Wilche.

In connection with The King and Queen's reception on the Royal Yacht Dannebrog in Sisimiut, The King presented the Knight's Cross of the Order of Dannebrog to Head of Protocol Jakob Rohmann Hard and former member of the Government of Greenland and former mayor Sivert K. Heilmann.

On the Royal Yacht Dannebrog in Nuuk, The King presented the Knight's Cross of the Order of Dannebrog to Chairman of the Order of the Dannebrog Mimi Karlsen, Aviaja Egede Lynge, Children's Advocate ..., Rector of the University of Greenland Gitte Adler Reimer and Curator of the National Museum of Greenland Inge Bisgaard."

Are the Royal Couple on their way back to Copenhagen?
I assume so EML, even though they have sometimes added a mini private holiday onto the end of an official visit … Mexico and Australia for example.

The Greenland Government Facebook Account says the tour is over, and also that Vincent and Josephine only participated from Aasiaat to Nuuk.

I take that to mean the children flew out at the end of Nuuk, while Frederik and Mary also flew out from Nuuk, but down to the airport in Narsarsuaq, from where they visited their final destinations via local boat.

The Dannebrog, and accompanying Danish Naval ship Triton, were shown to have stayed behind in Nuuk … on the internet vessel tracking websites … while the couple were in Southern Greenland.

Triton has now moved to another wharf, but is still in Nuuk.
Dannebrog has been underway for a while, but is still sailing down the side of Greenland.

I think Frederik and Mary would have flown out of the airport in Narsarsauq at the end of their official program. Though maybe they are hardier than me and are having a private stay somewhere. They looked a lot less cold in the latter part of the trip.

I enjoyed following along and saw some interesting YouTube’s about Greenland … about the language groups and history of migration in the polar regions.

I didn’t know that Greenland is one of the world’s biggest islands, though thought to be three islands actually, with an internal sea. All covered over by the ice sheet of course.

And there is actually a forest in Greenland, in the part which has less rugged conditions.

Certainly tourism seems a big deal … lots of people have posted of trips there, even to remote places, hiking etc.

No, it's a translation from a Greenlandic article. It would only work if Queen Mary wished to identify as non-binary, or something like that.

Now that you've seen the light, we can train you in that distinctions of 'you' have been strangely unnecessary for the past 200-plus years... 😎
Alas, formal You has almost gone out of use since around 1980. In hindsight I think it's a pity, because it has made the language a little more poor and quite a number of nuances have been lost.
It enables you to argue with a stranger and still be fairly polite and even name calling is a bit more difficult, often downright silly if you use formal You.
(This example will make more sense for people whose languages contain formal You.)
Informal you: you are a b*stard! - That's pretty insulting! And could easily escalate.
but when using formal You it get silly and as such it often prevents a situation escalating. Also because it sounds a bit silly: You are a b'stard, sir!

--------------
I don't appear to be able to write below this next quote, for some incongruous reason.
Well, it helps that between 1725-1788 all peasants were forbidden to leave their parish and settle elsewhere, unless they had a permission from their tenant-lord. (That was to prevent a shortage of workers on the big estates.)
So in order to prevent entire parishes ending up being populated by very accomplished banjo-players with big ears it became crucial to keep track on who you were related to and how...

----------------------

Both Greenland and Iceland now have small and very carefully tended woods, despite both countries being located north of the tree-line.
Dannebrog will now sail leisurely back to DK, probably to her home port of Frederikshavn, where she will be refitted and get a check-up and her crew will get some shore leave before it's time for the next part of the summer cruise. She is after all an elderly lady and she will need a bit of polish after having sailed across the North Atlantic!
I remember that post you made on how extensive the use of pronouns in Danish is. Especially to describe family relations like brother/sister-in-law, grandparents' titles, etc. My head is still spinning on that post from 2022-2023 (?) but it was one of the best posts ever to understand the extensive naming variations of the Danish language.

If the English language wants to reinvent pronouns to the level of complicated the Danish language is saying back 'hold my drink, I'll show your language what are real pronouns' :giggle:

"The oldest in Qassiarsuk, Laura Frederiksen, had a due date with the king. She met King Frederick for the first time in 1982, when His Majesty the King and his parents visited Laura. She remembers King Frederik eating sweets and when they were on their way out, King Frederik had said that he would come back once he visited Qassiarsuk again. During the happy reunion, Laura Frederiksen asked to send her greetings to Queen Margrethe."
"After gathering the city’s inhabitants, the regent couple continued to visit Leif the Happy Statue, one of Qassiarsuk’s landmarks. This was what the citizens of Qassiarsuk were happy about, as there are several attractions in the area. "

I really enjoyed following this state visit. Thank you to everyone who updated and shared the photos, links to sites, and gave insight to all things Greenland and Denmark.

I've learned more about Denmark just from hanging around this part of the site than I ever have before. I love it. :heart:

This royal trip was an amazing experience for us in here. I barely knew anything about Greenland.

The trip motivated me to find out more about the land besides what I knew from science like a species of sharks that are hundreds of years old, and that Greenland was near the ground zero on the meteorite that fell down and ended the Pleistocene 11,700 years ago, melted the ice on earth and drowned everything in sight. All those Noah's ark-like stories in all religions can thank (?) Greenland for taking the hit.

So, we learned a lot of how life developed since then to present time. Residents are so strong to live and thrive in such an extreme climate and it was great that King Frederick and Queen Mary paid them a visit with the twins that also carry Greenland's native middle names, too.

Back
Top Bottom