Harry & Meghan: Tour of Australia, Fiji, Tonga and New Zealand - October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Etiquette

Formal attire for men includes a tupenu (skirt) and a ta'ovala (mat) worn around one's waist and kept in place by a belt of coconut fiber. Prestigious old belts made of human hair also are used. A shirt with a tie and a jacket complete the attire. Women wear long dresses and ta'ovala as well. The softness, color, and decorations of a ta'ovala indicate status and wealth.

People shake hands when they meet, and relatives kiss by pressing each other's noses against their faces and soundly inhaling through the nose. The men preparing the 'umu or roasting for a big feast do not eat with the guests and are allowed at the table only when the first round of people has finished eating and left. Most food is eaten with the hands, although silverware also is used. It is customary to wash one's hands at the beginning and end of a meal.

The gesture of raising the eyebrows in conversation expresses one's understanding of the speaker's speech and is an invitation to continue. It is difficult for people to admit failure in understanding or to respond negatively to requests.

Read more: https://www.everyculture.com/To-Z/Tonga.html#ixzz5TURn8N4E

Something has to be done about the weather before they get here - we're in a rain bomb.

Pot-holes everywhere in the roads, palm fronds and mega leaf-litter covering everything.

Will you still climb the Harbour Bridge Harry, if the weather is like this.

(Will they even let you - those winds up that high.)

We're on Daylight Savings time now - but there's no daylight to see the difference.

Please note, if you're following from overseas - Queensland doesn't do Daylight Savings, so an hour's difference when they go to Fraser Island. An hour behind.

(Melbourne, Sydney, Dubbo all the same time as each other.)

Back to the weather -

Rain is horizontal - an umbrella won't save you.

(And this has been going on since the first day of Spring, September first.)

It got so bad a while ago, I though an East Coast Low was developing - our most destructive weather system, roofs blown off houses, trees down on cars with that.

Meghan, check those flags on the Bridge when you're staying at Admiralty House.

If those flags are straight out - it's a windy day. Think about hair-strands and flyaway skirts if you're going to be outside, especially around the Harbour.

Don't worry about being hot.

It doesn't look like Sydney will ever be hot again. Or blue-skied. Or calm!

Social Customs:

Anyone appearing in public without a shirt (and ladies covered from shoulder to below the knee) will risk being fined.

Dress code is very strict, as is Sunday observance, when no work (even on your own boat), sporting or other strenuous activities are allowed. Neither should laundry be hung out to dry.

Hats should never be worn either in church, or in the presence of a person in authority or someone to whom you wish to show respect.

Displaying anger or frustration is considered very bad form in Tonga.

So I guess the attire for going to church (if they were to go) would've been very different than at granny's for the ladies? :lol:

That's interesting, Sun Lion. Emily Andrews and Omid (he doesn't require a last name :lol:) were talking about weather forecast for the tour, and they said it'd be hot and sunny from the forecast.

That's interesting, Sun Lion. Emily Andrews and Omid (he doesn't require a last name :lol:) were talking about weather forecast for the tour, and they said it'd be hot and sunny from the forecast.

Gosh I hope they're right. This has been a shocking Spring jacqui24.

I'm not sure if the drought has officially broken - rains too late for the crops in any case I think.

I'm ready for it to stop/move out to sea.

This is not Sydney at it's best. Fingers crossed for you Harry and Meghan.

Here's a clip of the show "Spirit" from 2011 by the Bangarra Dance Theatre.

Harry and Meghan will be watching a rehearsal of this year's "Spirit" performance inside the Opera House on their first day.

They arrive at the Man O'War Steps after coming across from Taronga, for any locals who might be around.

Not sure how long they will be indoors, but they will then mingle with the public after this, out the front of the Opera House.

Bangarra are off to India with "Spirit 2018" - having performed it in Copenhagen, New York and China.

https://www.bangarra.com.au/whatson/productions/india-2018

Last edited by a moderator:
From Dubbo:

DubboRegionalCouncil

@DubboCouncil
Follow Follow @DubboCouncil
More
To celebrate the visit by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Mayor of the Dubbo Region, Ben Shields is inviting the community to attend Dubbo’s Picnic in the Park on October 17: https://bit.ly/2NmBVjF

I'm expecting the whole of Dubbo to turn out for this jacqui24.

And here's a video showing a bit of the Bridge Climb experience and views, though it is actually a promo about becoming a climb leader.

(Sydney looks so good in good weather!)

And a video of the jettys at the Man O'War Steps.

That ear-piercing screeching sound of the jetty going up and down with every wave and swell is a constant.

Maybe they will do something before Harry and Meghan get off their boat there.

Last edited:
It was raining like crazy last summer when Harry went, but some truly spectacular scenes came from that!

So Harry and Meghan will actually be meeting their NSW's wedding present - "Harry" and "Meghan" when they visit those koala joeys at Taronga.

Just like Prince George met "Prince George" the bilby.

They were/are due to emerge from their mothers' pouches in time for the tour - and the story was that it wasn't known what gender they are, but they will be keeping those names.

I think this is the building the couple will be officially opening at the zoo -

http://nbrsarchitecture.com/2018/08/21/taronga-institute-a-new-global-centre-of-excellence/

Last edited:
By the way Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney, just happens to be situated on some of the most Expensive real estate in Sydney. Most of the Zoo animals enjoy excellent Harbour views.
I visited the zoo in about 1966 with mum.

Looking at the weather for this trip the Sussexes will be battling the elements. Conditions can always change by the time the Sussexes get there but looks like most of their time in Australia will be rather rainy and cloudy.

Ironically considering they are there to learn more about the drought there seem to be have a 90% chance of some rain in Dubbo the day the Sussexes visit. As it stands now the first day with some sunshine seems to be on the 19 and 20th and the most sunny day so far seems to be their day in Fraser Island on the 22.

Fiji also shows thunderstorms and cloudy weather in store for the dates the Sussexes are there expect for a sunny day on the 25th in Nadi Fiji where they will only be for part of the day.

Tonga also seem cloudy and mixed with showers on the dates they visit. Back to Sydney for another cloudy day.

Day 1 in Wellington New Zealand is only cloudy while day 2 will have showers. Auckland NZ will be cloudy mixed with some sunshine and mostly cloudy for the final day of the tour in Rotura, NZ

Hopefully the weather clears up by then especially at the places they are visiting on the second half of the tour but doesn't look like the Sussexes will be under bright and sunny skies for most of the tour.

Last edited:
Looking at the weather for this trip the Sussexes will be battling the elements. Conditions can always change by the time the Sussexes get there but looks like most of their time in Australia will be rather rainy and cloudy.

Ironically considering they are there to learn more about the drought there seem to be have a 90% chance of some rain in Dubbo the day the Sussexes visit. As it stands now the first day with some sunshine seems to be on the 19 and 20th and the most sunny day so far seems to be their day in Fraser Island on the 22.

Fiji also shows thunderstorms and cloudy weather in store for the dates the Sussexes are there expect for a sunny day on the 25th in Nadi Fiji where they will only be for part of the day.

Tonga also seem cloudy and mixed with showers on the dates they visit. Back to Sydney for another cloudy day.

Day 1 in Wellington New Zealand is only cloudy while day 2 will have showers. Auckland NZ will be cloudy mixed with some sunshine and mostly cloudy for the final day of the tour in Rotura, NZ

Hopefully the weather clears up by then especially at the places they are visiting on the second half of the tour but doesn't look like the Sussexes will be under bright and sunny skies for most of the tour.
Weather forecasts this far out are not totally reliable though. Hopefully there will be some nice days

We've had quite a cold and windy Spring. However it might improve later this month. Hope so, as we want to show off some of our sights to Harry and Meghan (plus the media contingent.) I also want the weather to be good for the IG. So here's hoping those forecasts are inaccurate.

It's been confimed by the Danish palace that CP Frederik will attend the Invictus Games from october 21- 26. So he won't be there for the opening or closing ceremonies and the Sussexes and CP Frederick only have the 21st when everyone will both be in Sydney at the same time.

Do you think we might see them meeting and interact on that day?

I am wondering whether an extra visit will be added to their itinerary to visit the areas devastated in the storm yesterday in Qld. It has happened before where a visit to an area that suffered a massive natural disaster that a royal has visited e.g. William and Kate to the Blue Mountains that had been devastated with the bush first, Charles and Diana visited the sites affected by the Black Friday fires and Anne flew out especially to visit the site of the massive fires in Victoria. It may not be possible of course but if it is possible it would be great for them to visit one or both of towns affected.

I should point out that for William and Kate and Charles and Diana their visits were included in their itineraries before they left the UK due to the time difference between the event and the visit. Anne's visit was specifically for the memorial service etc and again was a few weeks after the event. That is why I said it might not be possible but if it is it would be great.

:previous: That'd be nice. Although, they really didn't leave much room in the schedule. Unless they decide to make a special trip on the 15th.

For people in Australia ?? here is an Updated Channel 7 coverage of the Royal tour.

Tuesday 16th October
11.30-1.00 Seven News Special: Royal Tour
3.00-4.00 Seven News Special: Royal Tour

Wednesday 17th October
11.30-2.00 Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Thursday 18th October
11.30-3.00 Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Friday 19th October
3:00 pm The Royal Tour Harbour Bridge Climb

This is on top of the coverage that will be on Sunrise plus the evening 6pm news.

For people in Australia ?? here is an Updated Channel 7 coverage of the Royal tour.

Tuesday 16th October
11.30-1.00 Seven News Special: Royal Tour
3.00-4.00 Seven News Special: Royal Tour

Wednesday 17th October
11.30-2.00 Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Thursday 18th October
11.30-3.00 Seven News Special: The Royal Tour

Friday 19th October
3:00 pm The Royal Tour Harbour Bridge Climb

This is on top of the coverage that will be on Sunrise plus the evening 6pm news.
Hold on. Are they airing the same special 4 times, or is that dedicated to covering what they did on tour that day?

The times relate to Channel 7s coverage every day. It's not a repeat of the previous day.

The times relate to Channel 7s coverage every day. It's not a repeat of the previous day.

Do they really think there will be enough things each day to generate hours of coverage? :eek: I mean I'll follow it everyday, but if I do the timing, it's a lot of time to spend on airing each engagement for a TV station.

Do they really think there will be enough things each day to generate hours of coverage? :eek: I mean I'll follow it everyday, but if I do the timing, it's a lot of time to spend on airing each engagement for a TV station.

Well they will be doing 3 to 5 engagements a day. The day in Sussex literally was hours long. So yeah I think they can fill that time up if they are live there as it happening. Quite easily in fact.

Well they will be doing 3 to 5 engagements a day. The day in Sussex literally was hours long. So yeah I think they can fill that time up if they are live there as it happening. Quite easily in fact.

I know they can fill up air time of them doing engagements. But usually, by the time it gets on the show, most footage ends up on the editing room floor. They only show highlights. Honestly, unless you are a big fan of the couple, do you really want to watch the entire walkabout? :lol:

I know they can fill up air time of them doing engagements. But usually, by the time it gets on the show, most footage ends up on the editing room floor. They only show highlights. Honestly, unless you are a big fan of the couple, do you really want to watch the entire walkabout? :lol:

This is not unusual jacqui24.

If a live cross can be done, it will all be broadcast - every little thing.

We had the same when William and Kate came out.

Hours of them walking up the stairs of the plane to go off somewhere, the cars travelling along the road - filmed from a helicopter.

Hours of footage when they were on the beach, indoors talking to people in the Blue Mts., in the Parliment in Canberra, and so on and so on.

Literally hours and hours - I used to have it all, finally had to delete.

I'm expecting Queensland TV to be particularly all over the Fraser Island coverage

A formal panel, all dressed up.

This expert and that, talking about each and every little thing.

Someone from the fashion world to discuss Meghan's outfit.

Someone to inform us of Royal things.

A host for the panel.

Someone who's - in this case - an expert on Fraser Island.

At least five or six people in the studio.

Then crossing back and forth to those in the field at different points.

NSW, and possibly Victoria, will be less formal - but same format. Less dressed up and a few less talking heads in the studio.

The breakfast shows, morning news, afternoon news, evening news and current affair shows will drench us in coverage.

But, it is the live crosses/live coverage where massive footage is broadcast, no cuts, no edits.

Can't believe it's almost happening.

Last edited:
Wow, Aussies take their royals seriously. :lol:

That is only Channel 7 - who are advertising themselves as 'the royal channel' and claimed to have the only cameras inside the chapel for Eugenie's wedding. They were the first to announce they were giving live coverage of the service remember.

The other stations will also do coverage - maybe not as extensive - but maybe it will be.

Fortunately, for me, the only session on that list I will miss will be the first on Tuesday as that is when I will be travelling home and I have to do some basic fresh food shopping but after that I will be at home for the rest. They even have arranged the Friday events so I can get back to rehab and home again and miss nothing ... well done Harry for arranging that for me.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom