German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 2: 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beutiful portrait of a German princess in big diamond tiara from 1906:

Does anybody knows who the Princess might be and what jewels she might be wearing?

It is Princess Elsa of Württemberg, later Princess of Schaumburg-Lippe:

The big pearl necklace is similar, or even the same as her sister Olga was wearing for the coronation of Nicholas II:

Wow, I thought it would remain a mystery but you have found the answer!
It didn't look like CPss Cecilie, but I only remember photos of Dss Elsa as a younger woman.
IIRC she was engaged to the unfortunate Alfred of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha but that was broken of.

Now the mystery remains about the jewelry she is wearing. They look impressive. I guess it's a Württemberg/Russia heirloom.

Hello everyone,

I would please like to know which jewelry (especially tiaras) is currently in the possession of Archduke Karl von Habsburg and his family.

Thank you.

I never understood how Emperor Carl and Empress Zita had no money help when they lived in Madeira.
The Emperor had a cold but waited because of money need and it became a pneumonia, and he passed away;
For the jewels , We saw twice the Habsbourg tiara for Archduchess Regina at her Wedding day and at the pre Wedding of Archduke Robert ( did not know but saw on Royal Watcher)
This tiara was never seen again. For the Weddings of Empress Zita Sons, the brides wore family jewels. Archduchess Elisabeth who married a Prince of Liechtenstein wore the Bourbon Parme tiara, and her Sister the only bandeau and pearl tiara which remains in the family now.
Past Archduchess Francesca wore for her Wedding this pearl and tiara bandeau and owns a bandeau with emeralds she wore often.
Empress Zita wore only a black tiara and no diamonds but a pearl necklace . The tiara consisted in black stones? The most important for her was her Sash and her plate of Great Mistress of the Starry Cross.

Last edited:
Weren't much of the jewels stolen somewhere after WWI?

I imagine the Empress may not have had all that many jewels. Her husband succeeded during the war, so there were other financial priorities. The jewels of Empress Elisabeth would for the most part be inherited by her daughters. Karl was the son of the second son of the third son, his mother was still alive.... Zita was one of 24 children, so I imagine they did not inherit all that much to begin with.

Hello everyone,

I would please like to know which jewelry (especially tiaras) is currently in the possession of Archduke Karl von Habsburg and his family.

Thank you.
It’s hard to know as they never attends any tiara-events… AD Eleonore didn’t wear a tiara to her wedding.. AD Gloria and AD Ferdinand-Zvonimir are both unmarried…

Franceska often wore her diamond and emerald bandeau wich was said to have been a necklace originating from Emperor Franz Josef, but i don’t think that has ever been proven… And i belive that is Franceska’s property..’Not Karl’s.

I don’t think there is much left to them from the days of the imperial court… Zita wasn’t Empress for very long and she had 23 siblings, of wich 20 reached adulthood…

Emperor Karl only became heir to the throne in 1914 after various tragedies and misfortune’s placed him first in line…. And Austria had been without an Empress since 1898… The jewels from Empress Elisabeth likely passed through her own descendants

Last edited:
It’s hard to know as they never attends any tiara-events… AD Eleonore didn’t wear a tiara to her wedding.. AD Gloria and AD Ferdinand-Zvonimir are both unmarried…

Franceska often wore her diamond and emerald bandeau wich was said to have been a necklace originating from Emperor Franz Josef, but i don’t think that has ever been proven… And i belive that is Franceska’s property..’Not Karl’s.

I don’t think there is much left to them from the days of the imperial court… Zita wasn’t Empress for very long and she had 23 siblings, of wich 20 reached adulthood…

Emperor Karl only became heir to the throne in 1914 after various tragedies and misfortune’s placed him first in line…. And Austria had been without an Empress since 1898… The jewels from Empress Elisabeth passed through her own descendants
Thank you so much.

Weren't much of the jewels stolen somewhere after WWI?

I imagine the Empress may not have had all that many jewels. Her husband succeeded during the war, so there were other financial priorities. The jewels of Empress Elisabeth would for the most part be inherited by her daughters. Karl was the son of the second son of the third son, his mother was still alive.... Zita was one of 24 children, so I imagine they did not inherit all that much to begin with.
That is so unfortunate 😕 Thank you for the reply.

Emperor Karl only became heir to the throne in 1914 after various tragedies and misfortune’s placed him first in line…. And Austria had been without an Empress since 1898… The jewels from Empress Elisabeth passed through her own descendants
I think they stll have the diamond and pearl bandeau. It was worn by Francesca at the danish Wedding in 2004. The diamond and emerald bandeau comes from Empress Auguste Victoria. It was inherited by her daughter Viktoria Luise and worn by her daugther-in -law Sophie in the 1960's. At some point it was then sold.

We never see Archduke Karl at Royal Events but well his Brother Georg . His wife Archiduchess Elika never wore a tiara ?

We never see Archduke Karl at Royal Events but well his Brother Georg . His wife Archiduchess Elika never wore a tiara ?
The only time shore wore one was at her Wedding when sore a small bandeau from the Oldenburg Family.
Archduke Karl and his second wife attended fro example the last Wedding of the Fürst zu Schaumburg-Lippe. Pity that there are no pics from them at the Ball because the ladies wore tiaras for it.

Unlike most of their cousins, the main Habsburg line has relatively few jewels, mainly due to the majority of their jewels having been sold or stolen by their advisors soon after the First World War.

I have relayed the story of how the jewels were stolen in my articles on the Habsburg Crown Pearls and the Habsburg Ruby Parure.

Empress Zita’s Diamond Tiara, a Wedding Gift from Emperor Franz Joseph, hasn’t been seen since the Wedding Ball of Archduke Robert of Austria and Princess Margherita of Savoy-Aosta in 1953, when it was worn by Archduchess Regina. It was likely sold in the 1950s.

The historic Habsburg Crown last worn by Empress Zita was dramatically stolen and vandalised by an advisor of the Emperor, with two massive Pearls later acquired by actress Gina Lollobrigida, fetching £1.6m at auction a few years ago.

In her widowhood, Empress Zita wore a Jet Tiara for her children’s weddings, but that hasn’t been seen since the 1950s either.

The main jewel still with the Habsburgs is the Pearl and Diamond Bandeau which was possibly inherited by Archduchess Regina from the Saxe-Meiningen Family. It was last worn by Archduchess Francesca at Wedding Gala of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark in 2004.

The Hanover Emerald Laurel Wreath Tiara was likely bought by bought by Baron von Thyssen-Bornemisza for Archduchess Francesca, and she has worn it for the Wedding of Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark in 2004 and also as a Necklace.

Archduchess Eilika did wear a Pearl Bandeau from her own family for her wedding, but her primary jewel appears to be a massive Aquamarine Pendant which she’s worn at some of the biggest Gala Occasions, most recently the Wedding Ball of Prince Ludwig of Bavaria in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom