General Questions About The Ruling Family Of Abu Dhabi 1:

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think you should see EU seperate from US. In the end, US has too much grip on UK and EU. They can bend the strongest necks. But let's see how they will overcome the credit crisis at home. But am glad to see some of the Asian, Middle East, African and south American countries are taking middle ground. Your president made it clear when he visited China and UAE and his bold statements on Ukranian war.

Not sure why MBZ supports these kind of war criminals. I don't understand his mindset there. He always sees Iran as a threat, otherwise there isn't any need for him to do this kind of things.

US is not able to digest UAEs independent stand and not taking sides.

Whitepaper, Macron's recent trip to China and his speech after the meeting with Xi Jinping demonstrate that Europe is interested in becoming more independent
If China is seducing absolutely everyone, Europe would be no different
I agree that it is still difficult to separate USA and EU, but I believe this will change in the coming years

Mohamed Bin Zayed sees the Islamists as a major threat to the stability of the region, he also wants to avoid as much as possible any event similar to the Arab Spring (which would be a threat to his own dynasty).

In some cases this works out, bin Zayed masterminded the installation of El Sisi in Egypt... in other cases, like Libya and now Sudan, the plans did not work out so well

Macron is alone in this, EU doesn't second his thoughts. For long time Germany didn't want to send arms to Ukraine, but at the end they had to give up. China is now trying to be peacemaker of the world.

Yeah MBZ was very much against Muslim Brotherhood and supported Sisi, but couldn't save Egypts economy. Even now he and MBS can bury the hatchet. It has become egoistic I think. But such a visionary like him does blunders and seemingly not learning from his past mistakes.

Have you observed his public appearances become less and less these days ?

So Zayed and Shamma finally had their baby.
Congratulations to them. I honestly thought they would be like Shaikha bint Suroor and Ahmed bin Tahnoun who had their child after 15 years of marriage.
But tbh his accident couldn’t have helped.

Btw does anyone now the age of Zayed bin Hamadan’s mom Shamsa bint Hamdan, wife to Hamdan bin Zayed.

Macron is alone in this, EU doesn't second his thoughts. For long time Germany didn't want to send arms to Ukraine, but at the end they had to give up. China is now trying to be peacemaker of the world.

Yeah MBZ was very much against Muslim Brotherhood and supported Sisi, but couldn't save Egypts economy. Even now he and MBS can bury the hatchet. It has become egoistic I think. But such a visionary like him does blunders and seemingly not learning from his past mistakes.

Have you observed his public appearances become less and less these days ?

Yes, Mohamed bin Zayed has greatly reduced his public appearances, Mansour is heading up various events that would normally be hosted by the President.

We don't know if it's because of tiredness, illness or simply he doesn't want to
We also don't know if it's temporary or permanent.

Apparently MBZ really won't attend the Summit

Maybe Mansour will be the head of the delegation, but I wouldn't rule out Bin Rashid. But if the President really wants to snub Bin Salman, don't doubt he'll send one of the Rulers from one of the smaller emirates

I guessed it right .. Mansour will be sent, but not bin Rashid. Since the invitation news is publicized, so there would be high level representation. MBZ would not go, so it would be Mansour. Am also getting doubt that this role of VP was not just consolation prize or ceremonial for Mansour, may be it's an elevation in centralising power within AD. If you look at bin Rashid is kept at bay now.

If Tahnoun or Abdullah had gone with Mansour, i would assume it to be a high level delegation. But it isn't.

I think MBZ is ill or tired and temporarily taking extended rest. Until then Mansour will handle everything. Let's see.

Zelensky is attending Arab Summit, that too in person. Another reason to take focus away from Sudan.

I see four tiers of delegations for these events

Tier 1: Mohamed bin Zayed
T2: Mansour bin Zayed
T3: Mohamed bin Rashid
T4: the other rulers

Clearly Mohamed bin Zayed is using these tiers politically to express "how much I care about this event"

I see the role of Vice President does not increase Abu Dhabi's control over the UAE, it is just a public acknowledgment of something that has been going on behind the scenes for many years, let's face it, Tahnoun and Mansour already have more power than Bin Rashid for a long time

The role of Vice President does not in itself add executive powers to Mansour, but as I said earlier, it does give him the authority to speak directly to Heads of State and Government on behalf of the President... that's what's happening now, a public meeting between Mansour and Bashar al Assad

#UAE's Bin Zayed is developing a habit of staying away from Bin Salman's ostentatious display of foreign policy initiatives. He will not attend the Arab summit in #SaudiArabia where Bin Salman hoped to present his 'achievement' of 'leading Arabs' into reconciling Assad

Is this true?

Totally agree. The new role gives Mansour power to represent MBZ and UAE in all high profile meetings.

I am trying to watch this summit live, but evrything is in Arabic with no subtitles. He he. Zelensky has learnt English in last one year. I have to wait for th news to come out to understand what they discussed.

Last edited:
#UAE's Bin Zayed is developing a habit of staying away from Bin Salman's ostentatious display of foreign policy initiatives. He will not attend the Arab summit in #SaudiArabia where Bin Salman hoped to present his 'achievement' of 'leading Arabs' into reconciling Assad

Is this true?

I see an ego dispute... bin Salman wants to be the head of the region because he is the leader of the most powerful country, bin Zayed sees himself as the leader of the region because he is more experienced and because he was a mentor to the Saudi Prince (and one of the great sponsors of his rise as the heir to the throne)

I believe that bin Zayed does not want to be present in a place where bin Salman is the "boss" or vice versa

The President does not want to be part of the Saudi propaganda that praises MBS as the leader of the Arabs

I think MBS is arrogant and harsh in his decisions and sometimes enforcing too much modernization that's again too much for older generations. MBZ has mentored, sponsored, recommended MBS so he can have a trusted neighbour. MBZ has carefully and very patiently cultivated relationships with US and Russia alike. Because of MBS, he had to join Yemen war. Saudi is big compared to UAE, but MBS has to take it slow. And i believe that experience matters over skill and resources. MBS will realise it sooner or later.

Again my observation, Emiratis love their rulers. Sometimes MBZ comes upon strong on those who advocate for democratic state, but otherwise he is a good leader and his people are well taken care of. The average living standard of Emiratis is much better than other countries. The same cannot be said about Saudi. I don't know much about Saudi as i feel it's a closed state.
US still sees UAE as an ally even if MBZ is inclining towards neutral ground. Same cannot be said about MBS.

When Biden visited Saudi for GCC plus meeting last year, MBS didn't even go to airport to receive him while he received each and every gulf leader from the airport. There was no important minister at the airport to receive Biden. And MBS didn't even shake hand with Biden, just a fist bump. He cannot show his likes and dislikes so openly. Atleast Biden visited his country and atleast he should have treated him well like a guest.

And when Khalifa died, almost all the important state presidents, prime minister's, rulers visited Abu Dhabi. And that's the kind of relationships Zayed/Khalifa and most importantly MBZ have cultivated overtime. I liked when MBZ thanked Biden for sending his high level delegation when Khalifa passed away(Kamala Harris, Anthony Blinked visited). That was nice of him to acknowledge before beginning the conversation. That's why I say MBZ is humble and hard working. Clashing with him is not a wise thing for MBS.

And whatever reforms that MBS is trying to bring in his country, UAE has already done that during Zayed's reign only.

Last edited:
Mansour had a meeting with Zelensky, impressive the level of responsibility he gained by becoming Vice President

We were talking about the post "bin Zayeds" generations; I noted that in the meeting with Assad, Mansour was with Shakhbout bin Nahyan, but in the meeting with Zelensky, he was with Nahyan bin Saif. It's interesting, but it's impossible to know the strategy behind it.

But it calls my attention to see the third generation Al Nahyan (if we consider Zayed as the first and bin Zayeds as the second) participating in such important events.

I see an ego dispute... bin Salman wants to be the head of the region because he is the leader of the most powerful country, bin Zayed sees himself as the leader of the region because he is more experienced and because he was a mentor to the Saudi Prince (and one of the great sponsors of his rise as the heir to the throne)

I believe that bin Zayed does not want to be present in a place where bin Salman is the "boss" or vice versa

The President does not want to be part of the Saudi propaganda that praises MBS as the leader of the Arabs

It is said that mbs did not attend the ABU Dhabi summit in January because of the crackdown on the UAE

It is said that mbs did not attend the ABU Dhabi summit in January because of the crackdown on the UAE

I doubt even if MBS was invited to this. It was more of an informal meetup. May be it was aimed to irk MBS.

What crackdown you are referring to ?

Mansour had a meeting with Zelensky, impressive the level of responsibility he gained by becoming Vice President

We were talking about the post "bin Zayeds" generations; I noted that in the meeting with Assad, Mansour was with Shakhbout bin Nahyan, but in the meeting with Zelensky, he was with Nahyan bin Saif. It's interesting, but it's impossible to know the strategy behind it.

But it calls my attention to see the third generation Al Nahyan (if we consider Zayed as the first and bin Zayeds as the second) participating in such important events.

I think we should get used to seeing this, as you said Mansour would now talk to state heads directly in his new role.

I would not look too much into who is attending alongside with Mansour as long it's not bin Zayed. I think Mansour was there for total of 5-6 hours and in such short span he has to meet as many leaders as possible. I don't think the sideline meetings are even scheduled and whoever is available would meet. Zelensky would of course focus on meeting powerful and rich gulf countries i.e UAE and Saudi. if Shakbout is missing or Nahyan bin Saif is present, it doesn't add significant value. I think even if someone takes a restroom break, they might miss a meeting. That much chaotic it must have been.

Was there anything in Sudan ?

Last edited:
I would not look too much into who is attending alongside with Mansour as long it's not bin Zayed. I think Mansour was there for total of 5-6 hours and in such short span he has to meet as many leaders as possible. I don't think the sideline meetings are even scheduled and whoever is available would meet. Zelensky would of course focus on meeting powerful and rich gulf countries i.e UAE and Saudi. if Shakbout is missing or Nahyan bin Saif is present, it doesn't add significant value. I think even if someone takes a restroom break, they might miss a meeting. That much chaotic it must have been.

These meetings are previously scheduled; due to logistical, diplomatic and agenda issues

Imagine what a mess it would be for 23 heads of delegation deciding on the spot who they were going to meet, this is unfeasible from any perspective

And yes, have no doubt that every presence matters; Ukraine and Syria are very important issues for global diplomacy, sensitive issues were discussed in that room

These meetings are previously scheduled; due to logistical, diplomatic and agenda issues

Imagine what a mess it would be for 23 heads of delegation deciding on the spot who they were going to meet, this is unfeasible from any perspective

And yes, have no doubt that every presence matters; Ukraine and Syria are very important issues for global diplomacy, sensitive issues were discussed in that room

I think some leaders like Assad, Sisi reached Jeddah yesterday and left late today. Even Zelensky left late today. But Mansour reached today and left early as well. May be it was intentional to spend less time understandably.

One thing I noticed that in biden's GCC meeting everyone round the table spoke but not MBZ. He was the only leader that didn't speak at the table Today also almost everyone spoke but not Mansour. Mansour was even missing for good part of the meeting.

Why do you think UAE doesn't speak at such meetings ?

Never, that would be practically a declaration of war

If it happened, the heads of state and government themselves would decline the invitation

You are right. War is the last thing the region needs now.MBS ditching the meeting would only have added to MBZs irritation.

Do you have some articles about the relationship of MBZ and MBS? I heard that MBS helped MBZ become Crown prince, but it seems that their relationship is a bit strained now

Do you have some articles about the relationship of MBZ and MBS? I heard that MBS helped MBZ become Crown prince, but it seems that their relationship is a bit strained now

It's the other way round or you mistyped it...MBZ helped MBS become the crown prince..

The relationship can be severely strained if there was a friendship before...obviously there are some strategic and economic differences between the two countries and usually neighbours don't get along well...for e.g Russia/Ukraine or Pakistan/India or North Korea/South Korea...

I do not agree with this generalized statement that neighbours don't get along. The examples you gave are not valid and there's lot of history, wars, behind that. Pakistan was once part of India and Ukraine was once part of Soviet Union. North and South korea was divided because of world war. There are many neighbouring countries that get along very well. If some don't get along it's because of many reasons and just being neighbours is not one of them. And in the case of MBZ and MBS its mere ego. Mentee trying to overpower mentor. Both the countries are trying to look beyond oil money and are competing for foreign investments. Dubai is already ahead in the game, but Saudi wants to catch-up.

Thanks Puchu, so they are relatively younger. But they are not seen much like bin Mansour, bin Abdullah right ?

I read in this thread that Fatima is divorced and would focus on career and Meera is married. What about another daughter of Hazza, Salama ? Is she married or what is she upto ?

Zayed bin hazza is probably from 1995 and Mohammed is from 2002. Both hazza sons keep their life private and same goes to their maternal cousin zayed bin mansour. Bin mansour appeared publicly two times only in this year, one for a sport event and another for Eid prayer.

Unmarried daughter is salama, second child of Hazza. May be she want to marry late. She is approaching to 30s and she writes books for children. I think Zayed bin Tahnoun/ Zayed bin Saif bin Mohammed is chosen for her.

Back
Top Bottom