General Questions About The Ruling Family Of Abu Dhabi 1:

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know the ages of Shamsa bint Zayed and her husband Tahnoon bin Mohammed?
Also Shamma bint Zayed and Suroor bin Mohammed?
It seems both brothers have age gaps with their wives ( who are sisters too).

Yes, he married an Al Qamzi

a non Al Nahyan wife for Khalid, as expected

Mohamed Bin Sultan Bin Khalifa attended

Last edited:
Does anyone know the ages of Shamsa bint Zayed and her husband Tahnoon bin Mohammed?
Also Shamma bint Zayed and Suroor bin Mohammed?
It seems both brothers have age gaps with their wives ( who are sisters too).

Tahnoun is from the early 40's, Surour is from the late 40's or early 50's. Shamsa is from the early 60's, Shamma is from 1967.

Sorry if this is too much but can someone group the children of Zayed bin sultan in terms of year born (both girls and boys).

Btw, i know realise Sheikh Zayed could have married some of his wives at similar times with all the overlapping ages between all siblings.

Last edited:
Wow. I knew there had to be a big age gap as I saw a picture of a young Sultan bin Zayed and Suroor bin Mohammed and SbZ looked to be in his early 20’s and Shamma wouldn’t have been born then.
Same with Tahnoon bin Mohammed, he looked to be in his teens in a picture with Khalifa bin Zayed who looked no older than 10-12. Shamsa definitely wouldn’t have been born then too.
It’s a good thing nowadays the age gaps between couples aren’t that big anymore.

Furthermore Feiraguy can you list Zayed bin sultan wives and their ages or date of birth?

Furthermore Feiraguy can you list Zayed bin sultan wives and their ages or date of birth?

We know that Hessa bint Mohamed was born in 1922, the four wives of the 60's must have been born in the 40's, and Sultan bin Zayed's mother must have been born in the 30's.

There is no exact date for the other wives besides Hessa.

Regarding male children, the order is as follows:
Khalifa: 48 (1st wife)
Sultan: 55 (2nd wife)
Mohamed: 61 (3rd wife)
Hamdan: 63 (3rd)
Hazza: 65 (3rd)
Saeed: 65 (4th wife)
Issa: 66 (5th wife)
Nahyan: 68 (4th)
Saif: 68 (6th wife)
Nasser: 68 (5th)
Tahnoun: 68 (3rd)
Ahmed: 69 (6th)
Mansour: 70 (3rd)
Falah: 70 (4th)
Hamed: 70 (6th)
Dhiyab: 71 (4th)
Abdullah: 72 (3rd)
Omar: 73 (6th)
Khalid: 77 (6th)

So Zayed bin sultan had 6 wives?
I’m guessing he divorced some as that is over the amount of wives permissible?

We know that one daughter was born in the 40's, and another ten were born in the 60's and 70's. Shamma was born in 1967 and Alyazia in 1968, there is no exact date for the others.

Sheikh Zayed had seven wives who bore him children; six of them bore sons and one of them bore only a daughter. It is possible that he had marriages that did not produce children.

During the 1960s he was married to four women, as Hessa bint Mohamed remained married to him (even though their only child, Khalifa, was born in 1948), it is most likely that at some point he was married to five women at the same time.

Do you know if the wives interact with each other?
And of the relationship between all siblings?
It would be naive to not think they will have their own cliques or factions between full siblings but I rarely see pictures of half siblings when they were younger, except for sultan or Khalifa bin zayed with MBZ and his brothers.

I have no information on whether Sheikh Zayed's widows interact in any way, most likely not.

They certainly have their factions, but I've never read any reports of rivalry between brothers or half-brothers, if it occurred at all, they knew how to hide it very well.

And yes, there are many photos of the half-brothers from childhood and youth.

The best example is this video that shows Sheikhs Saeed, Saif, Nasser, Ahmed, Falah and Hamed Bin Zayed, and Sultan Bin Khalifa

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCsqGFcH9So/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Do you know if the wives interact with each other?
And of the relationship between all siblings?
It would be naive to not think they will have their own cliques or factions between full siblings....

Don't you think its unusual to interact between two or more wives of a man?;) As all of the wives are given separate houses, there wont be interactions between them.
But its normal to get connected with half siblings, after all they share same father. And, its also seen that child may interact with their step mom for having cordial relation with half-siblings. Most of the sons appear together in public events and tours whether they are full siblings or not.

Tahnoun bin Zayed appointed Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (the previous Chairman was Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed), Hamed bin Zayed continues as its Managing Director, but now subordinate to Tahnoun

Mansour bin Zayed appointed Chairman of Mubadala Investment Company (the previous Chairman was Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed)

Khalid bin Mohamed is on ADIA board, Dhiyab bin Mohamed is on Mubadala board. No announcements about Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohamed bin Zayed.

More power in the hands of Tahnoun and Mansour, Tahnoun will have more authority in his activities related to overseas investments.

How to perceive this major change ? Is this a consolation to Sheik Tahnoun while Khaled will be made CP ? Or to show that MBZ still has faith in Tahnoun and he is in the run for CP ?

How to perceive this major change ? Is this a consolation to Sheik Tahnoun while Khaled will be made CP ? Or to show that MBZ still has faith in Tahnoun and he is in the run for CP ?

The second option is the most likely; it seems to me that the decision on the heir has not yet been made, and the President is leaving all options open.

I imagine his ultimate plan is to have Khalid as heir, but clearly his right-hand men today are Tahnoun, Mansour and Abdullah; placing them as his son's subordinates can undermine that trusting relationship.

The second option is the most likely; it seems to me that the decision on the heir has not yet been made, and the President is leaving all options open.

I imagine his ultimate plan is to have Khalid as heir, but clearly his right-hand men today are Tahnoun, Mansour and Abdullah; placing them as his son's subordinates can undermine that trusting relationship.

It will be good if MBZ doesn't announce CP atleast for few years. Khalid has to still prove his mettle.

Also, in one of your old posts you mentioned all the brothers are in run for CP except Hamdan and Abdullah. Hamdan, because of coup. Why not Abdullah ? Also general observation, during majlis with other leaders and other emirates leaders, Mansour, Saif, Hazza and Hamdan sit in the main row along with MBZ and guests. But never Abdullah, he sits in the crowd..why ? I initially thought he was absent but I saw couple of times that he sits in the crowd..why like that ? Is he really right man for MBZ ?

It will be good if MBZ doesn't announce CP atleast for few years. Khalid has to still prove his mettle.

Also, in one of your old posts you mentioned all the brothers are in run for CP except Hamdan and Abdullah. Hamdan, because of coup. Why not Abdullah ? Also general observation, during majlis with other leaders and other emirates leaders, Mansour, Saif, Hazza and Hamdan sit in the main row along with MBZ and guests. But never Abdullah, he sits in the crowd..why ? I initially thought he was absent but I saw couple of times that he sits in the crowd..why like that ? Is he really right man for MBZ ?

I believe that is the logic in the President's head, Khalid will prove himself and then a slow process of power transition (from brothers to MBZ sons) will take place. it's not time yet

Among the brothers, the de facto favorites are Tahnoun and Mansour, they are the ones who have influence in all areas. Abdullah is trusted by the President, but his influence is restricted to diplomacy. Hazza is increasingly removed from power, today I don't see him with enough influence to become the heir.

Have no doubt that Abdullah is among the President's trusted men; he is in charge of several sensitive issues for emirati diplomacy, the main one today is Syria.
He appears to be the UAE's main interlocutor with Assad, and coordinates Syria's "reintegration" into the "Arab World"
I don't know the reasons why he doesn't sit in the main row, but it seems to be just a matter of protocol.

I believe that is the logic in the President's head, Khalid will prove himself and then a slow process of power transition (from brothers to MBZ sons) will take place. it's not time yet

Among the brothers, the de facto favorites are Tahnoun and Mansour, they are the ones who have influence in all areas. Abdullah is trusted by the President, but his influence is restricted to diplomacy. Hazza is increasingly removed from power, today I don't see him with enough influence to become the heir.

Have no doubt that Abdullah is among the President's trusted men; he is in charge of several sensitive issues for emirati diplomacy, the main one today is Syria.
He appears to be the UAE's main interlocutor with Assad, and coordinates Syria's "reintegration" into the "Arab World"
I don't know the reasons why he doesn't sit in the main row, but it seems to be just a matter of protocol.
Am not sure if Khaled is the right choice. He comes across as a good and humble person with all the right qualifications. But leadership is also about taking difficult decisions, waging proxy wars(yemen) when needed. What if there is another Arab spring ? Will he able to control ? How effectively MBZ and Tahnoun spied and controlled everything. At a time when relations with Saudi are falling apart, threat with Iran is ever present, UAE wanting to exit from OPEC, aspirations to be regional influencers conflict, keeping regional peace, can Khalid be a tough leader ? I believe all the MBZ's brothers should groom Khalid if he is selected. Given the age difference between MBZ and Tahnoun is just 6.5 years, and MBZ can still be leader for next 10-15 years and the titular role remains with President until he is alive, what good is the CP title for Tahnoun or even Mansour ? MBZ must be in such a tricky place to make any decisions and keeping the unity of family intact.

When the President does need an heir, it is likely that Khalid will be more experienced, more powerful and with more allies; his brothers Dhiyab and Hamdan will certainly hold important ministerial level positions, perhaps even Zayed will already be in a position of power. Today we don't know, but it's likely that MBZ's youngest children have their ambitions and their power projects, they still don't play the game, but they will in the future.

Like I said, it's going to be a slow process, which will probably end up with Khalid being the nominee.

Se o texto estiver em português, pode enviar pra mim, essa é minha língua mãe (If the text is in Portuguese, you can send it to me, this is my mother tongue).
Thank you for ur help then huehehe, gonna trying to find the post again

I've already studied a lot about the Al Saud; I know of several cases in which the women of the family marry men from other families (it is not something that rare, as is the case with the Al Nahyan);
Is that so? Hm, so it's not that rare after all. Feiraguy, do you know why royalties in modern era in general, rarely married to another royal houses as crown princess especially? What I see is, they only married into themselves. Not like what usually happened in the past, where the princess is became engaged to crown prince of another countries to strengthen the politic. I think it will beneficial for them politically to reduce conflict whatsoever. Al-Nahyan ladies I think, one of the most desirable royal women in the world (in my opinion okey, no salty #peace✌️) they got that brain, beauty, class & amazing lineage with them MasyaAllah ? if it were like in the past some king of the countries might invade the country for high class yet mysterious women like them. Ofc I don't want what happened in the past, happen too in the modern day. But, how come they didn't pursue this Al-Nahyan ladies to become their crown princess. Of course love is also important, but even if it has to be arranged marriage, wouldn't it be better to got arranged married to a crown prince instead

appears to be the UAE's main interlocutor with Assad, and coordinates Syria's "reintegration" into the "Arab World"
But leadership is also about taking difficult decisions, waging proxy wars(yemen) when needed. What if there is another Arab spring ? Will he able to control ? How effectively MBZ and Tahnoun spied and controlled everything. At a time when relations with Saudi are falling apart, threat with Iran is ever present, UAE wanting to exit from OPEC, aspirations to be regional influencers conflict, keeping regional peace
Hi Whitepaper :welcome: wow first time you're here, you already asking some intelligent questions :lol: This is some serious conversations, how come you guys are so smart, MasyaAllah ? I can't keep up with the conversation,
I better stay in the back and watching LOL ?

Marriages between members of different ruling families were never as common in the Gulf as they were in the old days of Europe.

Thinking about Europe, in the old days the tradition of "blue blood" was much stronger, there was a need to separate the nobility from the population. Today, monarchies are fragile and depend on popular support, marrying "commoners" is one way to gain that support.
And in the old days, monarchs played a much greater executive role, including in the diplomatic area, marriages between princes and princesses from different countries were a way of creating an alliance between them. Today, diplomacy follows a totally different dynamic, with the ideas of leaders elected by the people being paramount.

I don't believe there is interest from the Abu Dhabi leadership in marrying his daughters to leaders of other countries. I don't even think there is interest from the Al Nahyan girls in living in these other countries

Thank you for ur help then huehehe, gonna trying to find the post again

Is that so? Hm, so it's not that rare after all. Feiraguy, do you know why royalties in modern era in general, rarely married to another royal houses as crown princess especially? What I see is, they only married into themselves. Not like what usually happened in the past, where the princess is became engaged to crown prince of another countries to strengthen the politic. I think it will beneficial for them politically to reduce conflict whatsoever. Al-Nahyan ladies I think, one of the most desirable royal women in the world (in my opinion okey, no salty #peace✌️) they got that brain, beauty, class & amazing lineage with them MasyaAllah ? if it were like in the past some king of the countries might invade the country for high class yet mysterious women like them. Ofc I don't want what happened in the past, happen too in the modern day. But, how come they didn't pursue this Al-Nahyan ladies to become their crown princess. Of course love is also important, but even if it has to be arranged marriage, wouldn't it be better to got arranged married to a crown prince instead

Hi Whitepaper :welcome: wow first time you're here, you already asking some intelligent questions :lol: This is some serious conversations, how come you guys are so smart, MasyaAllah ? I can't keep up with the conversation,
I better stay in the back and watching LOL ?

Thank you. Am just an avid follower of geopolitics. Middle East and UAE are my current fav topics.

Moreover when you have others that already have experience it just seems a bit weird. I understand wanting to have your son, an heir take over but he’s literally been giving him posts from since he was president and Khalifa died.
If he had those posts and did noteworthy things before MBZ was president, I think it would be pretty hard to dispute the succession.

I could be mistaken, if my memory is failing me, but Khalid has not gained any significant office since his father took office.

He holds positions in three significant areas: Executive branch of the Abu Dhabi government (as Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Executive Committee and Chairman of the Abu Dhabi Eexcutive Office); security and intelligence (as Chairman of the State Seucirty Department and Deputy National Security Advisor); and oil (as Chairman of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company).

I really could be wrong, but until last week, none of the top three candidates (Tahnoun, Mansour and Khalid) had won any significant office; until Tahnoun became the Chairman of ADIA (something that had global repercussions) and Mansour became the head of Mubadala.

Will Khalid gain a position of equal importance to his uncles? Will Tahnoun's appointment as Chairman of ADIA make room for Khalid to become National Security Advisor? This has been speculated for some time.

Yes but he is elevating Khaled slowly and steadily..Dhiyab too...

Khalifa has been President since 2004 until 2022 and what does his sons and grandsons get, nothing...until they marry into Bani Fatima of course ...

Whether Khalid has got new roles or not, atleast his visibility is increasing..he is busy trying to be in spotlight as much as possible opening one or other thing..

1- Is it MBZ's responsibility alone or he has the final say on who will be the new CP of Abu Dhabi? Or is this done by a combined voting process?

2- If MBZ is delaying naming the new CP or plans to continue delaying so when his brothers Tahnoun, Mansour or Hazza are already very experienced and popular, then isn't it obvious he wants his son Khalid or one of his other sons to be named as CP once they are groomed and popular enough?

3- It should never be about personal choice, but the most qualified candidate should become the CP and I am confused as to why this process is delayed. Suppose if Tahnoun becomes the CP, so MBZ's sons never get to become CP again and next line of succession goes into hands of Tahnoun?

4- I know MBZ and MBR are exceptional leaders for their respective states and it would be very difficult to replace such leadership styles and achievements, but we will see in time.

Yes but he is elevating Khaled slowly and steadily..Dhiyab too...

Khalifa has been President since 2004 until 2022 and what does his sons and grandsons get, nothing...until they marry into Bani Fatima of course ...

Whether Khalid has got new roles or not, atleast his visibility is increasing..he is busy trying to be in spotlight as much as possible opening one or other thing..

This is true, but Khalid is the head of the executive branch of the Abu Dhabi government, he oversees all government departments (Culture, Tourism, Community Development, Finance, Economy, Health, Education, Transport...), he is the "Governor of Abu Dhabi", he has functions equivalent to a state governor in the United States, it is natural for him to participate in these events.

His visibility is indeed growing in a slow process; I don't like to make guesses, but I believe that this process is being well executed. The President doesn't want to undermine the trusting relationship with his brothers by making them his son's subordinates, but there's also no point in expecting Khalid to stagnate until his uncles are old.

Khalid has been in the position of "Governor of Abu Dhabi" for about four years now, he has been Chairman of the State Security Department (the emirati CIA) for about seven years; even though his uncles are more experienced, it's not like he's a kid at the start of his career.

Last edited:
1- Is it MBZ's responsibility alone or he has the final say on who will be the new CP of Abu Dhabi? Or is this done by a combined voting process?

2- If MBZ is delaying naming the new CP or plans to continue delaying so when his brothers Tahnoun, Mansour or Hazza are already very experienced and popular, then isn't it obvious he wants his son Khalid or one of his other sons to be named as CP once they are groomed and popular enough?

3- It should never be about personal choice, but the most qualified candidate should become the CP and I am confused as to why this process is delayed. Suppose if Tahnoun becomes the CP, so MBZ's sons never get to become CP again and next line of succession goes into hands of Tahnoun?

4- I know MBZ and MBR are exceptional leaders for their respective states and it would be very difficult to replace such leadership styles and achievements, but we will see in time.

The responsibility rests with the President, and I believe he has enough strength to impose his choice; but I believe it is much safer to opt for consensus within the family and among the other rulers, and it is this option he chose to pursue.

The point is, today he doesn't need an heir; the country's government is very centralized in his figure, his decisions are not questioned, he is still relatively young. At some point he will need to make his choice, but today is not the time.

It's just that the position of heir is not a government position, in which the most capable person is chosen and replaced if he does not meet expectations; the country needs stability, and frequent successions undermine stability too much.
The question to ask is not who is the most capable today (the answer would probably be Tahnoun), but who will be the most capable in 2040.

Back
Top Bottom