General News about the Sussex Family, Part Three: August-September 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So if they were offered this how come they were apparently told that they coudl not be half in and half out?

I guess they couldn't be half-in/half-out on their conditions. Given that their 'professional work' seems to consist of a life very comparable to living a royal life but earning money while doing so, I can see how that would not have been approved by the Lord Chamberlain - any commercial activities would need to be totally separated from their royal work and that was clearly not something that they had in mind. They intended (and are currently doing so) building on their royal brand for the 'professional income'.

I guess they couldn't be half-in/half-out on their conditions. Given that their 'professional work' seems to consist of a life very comparable to living a royal life but earning money while doing so, I can see how that would not have been approved by the Lord Chamberlain - any commercial activities would need to be totally separated from their royal work and that was clearly not something that they had in mind. They intended (and are currently doing so) building on their royal brand for the 'professional income'.

My understanding was that the Edward and Sophie problems had convinced the queen that it wasn't possible for anyone working as a royal more or less fulltime didn't work out. Ed was only supposed to be doing a small number of royal duties but he made a mess of his business, so did Sophie. [...]and didn't even do well at making money, so they had to give up the businss work and take on full time royal duties.
I agree that it seems like what H and Megan intended to do was to make speeches probably using their royal life, and sell things, with the brand "Sussex Royal"...so it was very blatantly commericial and using their royal status to the max...
but In short, since H and Meg were meant to be the second couple backing Charles and William and Kate, I can't really believe that they were ever given the option of being part timers...
However if they WERE given that option a while ago, why not taek it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding was that the Edward and Sophie problems had convinced the queen that it wasn't possible for anyone working as a royal more or less fulltime didn't work out. Ed was only supposed to be doing a small number of royal duties but he made a mess of his business, so did Sophie. [...]and didn't even do well at making money, so they had to give up the businss work and take on full time royal duties.
I agree that it seems like what H and Megan intended to do was to make speeches probably using their royal life, and sell things, with the brand "Sussex Royal"...so it was very blatantly commericial and using their royal status to the max...
but In short, since H and Meg were meant to be the second couple backing Charles and William and Kate, I can't really believe that they were ever given the option of being part timers...
However if they WERE given that option a while ago, why not taek it?
According to Marlene it was discussed with them after they had indicated they wanted out - as part of the negotiations in January I suppose. However, I can see why the conditions Harry and Meghan wanted were never going to work, so even limited tweaking would not have satisfied them.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Marlene it was discussed with them after they had indicated they wanted out - as part of the negotiations in January I suppose. However, I can see why the conditions Harry and Meghan wanted were never going to work, so even limited tweaking would not have satisfied them.

Oh I see. I DId see something about this, a while ago, indicating that they had been offered a part time royal life earlier when they were first married, which I didn't believe. I suppose that when they asked / or rather said they wanted to step back, as senior royals this was discussed with them as to how far the RF could go in allowing them to have some freedom... So really IMO it seems like the Queen DID show more sympathy than one might expect, and was trying to be flexible up to a point...

For me, this was new.

I can see that they would not accept that, when they felt they were treated like the "second son and his wife, whose opinion didn't count" - okay, this is a bit ironic, as they are the second son and wife (and we should not forget that Charles and Diana were forced to stand down to not overshadow the queen as well).

But just look at The Princess Royal, she made it work without problems (at least I never heard of any?). And H&M could have made it work, too, if they had accepted their role within the "firm".

But I still think it was best that they went away for I don't think Meghan would ever have understood or accepted the limitations of her role as the wife of the former spare. (Honestly, one adores Princess Marie of Denmark).

Let them live on in the US and watch out for things you can really critizise them - the way their name is used is not necessarily their choice. Diana in most cases asked people to call her "Diana" when people called her "Princess" - maybe Meghan does that, too and is still introduced as the duchess.

We'll see.

If this story is true, that they were told they could step back within certain limits... I think the RF went as far as they could go, in trying to accommodate them...

In her review of Finding Freedom (as discussed in the appropriate topic) Marlene Koenig mentions that Harry and Meghan were offered to go part-time (and earn some money on the side) following the Luce Guidelines - but they clearly rejected that offer or they would have been part-time nowadays. Can anyone enlighten me on what those guidelines would entail?

I had not heard this before. I remember something about Meghan being given the option to continue her career when she first married in and Meghan having decided to be a full time working Royal

I had not heard this before. I remember something about Meghan being given the option to continue her career when she first married in and Meghan having decided to be a full time working Royal

This a very basic explanation but they could have earned money but anything they did had to be approved by the lord Chamberlain. I presume that was to ensure that the crown was not compromised

I think I replied to the wrong post, sorry. .

If this story is true, that they were told they could step back within certain limits... I think the RF went as far as they could go, in trying to accommodate them...
I agree. If this was offered to the couple by the BRF/British government and they chose not to accept, then it was their decision.

For me, this was new.

I can see that they would not accept that, when they felt they were treated like the "second son and his wife, whose opinion didn't count" - okay, this is a bit ironic, as they are the second son and wife (and we should not forget that Charles and Diana were forced to stand down to not overshadow the queen as well).

But just look at The Princess Royal, she made it work without problems (at least I never heard of any?). And H&M could have made it work, too, if they had accepted their role within the "firm".

But I still think it was best that they went away for I don't think Meghan would ever have understood or accepted the limitations of her role as the wife of the former spare. (Honestly, one adores Princess Marie of Denmark).

I have to agree with you on this, and in fairness, this was always one of the reservations I always had about Meghan.

I agree. If this was offered to the couple by the BRF/British government and they chose not to accept, then it was their decision.

The key point, IMO, was that it was always their decision. Nobody asked them to leave, but I suspect they clearly worked themselves into a position where they believed they were not wanted. I also think, having put out a public statement on 8 JAnuary, then felt backed into a corner, and would have struggled to agree anything that was materially different to what they had put in their "manifesto" on their website.

The key point, IMO, was that it was always their decision. Nobody asked them to leave, but I suspect they clearly worked themselves into a position where they believed they were not wanted. I also think, having put out a public statement on 8 JAnuary, then felt backed into a corner, and would have struggled to agree anything that was materially different to what they had put in their "manifesto" on their website.

It was always their decision. Im not sure if they would have been offered a way of being half in and half out, but if they were, it seems like it wasn't good enough for them.. but what did they expect? That they could just take time off and do as they liked?

I have to agree with you on this, and in fairness, this was always one of the reservations I always had about Meghan.

I have liked them both, back then and still do, but probably it was to much to hope Meghan would accept her place in the "firm". Harry must have at least guessed that, maybe not foreseen, but he should have known that with Meghan's character traits they would have a difficult time. She is obviously so different from the women in the RF. I really would love to know what Camilla is thinking... And if you look over the women she is friends with, they are all the stars. Noone is just serving an old institution in a minor position.

I have liked them both, back then and still do, but probably it was to much to hope Meghan would accept her place in the "firm". Harry must have at least guessed that, maybe not foreseen, but he should have known that with Meghan's character traits they would have a difficult time. She is obviously so different from the women in the RF. I really would love to know what Camilla is thinking... And if you look over the women she is friends with, they are all the stars. Noone is just serving an old institution in a minor position.

Meghan's position in the RF was not "minor"... but it was secondary... She should have known that. And I think, i thought from the start, that she really did not have a clue abut the RF, or if she did, she didn't let it affect her own determination to do things her way and to be seen as a star.. which she hopes she can now do in the US.
I half think that Harry himself has not got a clue, either so he either could not tell her what life would be like as a royal or he himself did not really understand how things worked or he too had issues with being "secondary" and half wanted out.
As for Camilla, I think she has her own problems at times, and is probably rather hurt that she'll never be teh most popular senior royal lady but she gets on with the job, she has accepted hte job, and she doesn't complain...

It seems that we can expect more content from Meghan encouraging people to vote. She filmed a video with Gloria Steinem for MAKERS Women and it's speculated it happened on the grounds of the Sussexes' new home.

Here's an article:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2020082696014/meghan-markle-backyard-interview-gloria-steinem/

And Instagram post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEUuTr-l__r/

The short clip is only like a minute and a half. It seems like Meghan is REALLY happy about being back in the US and can't help herself not to fuel the constant speculatin about the exit from BRF/leaving the UK.
At the start of the conversation, Meghan expresses her joy at being back at home in the US. "Welcome home, I'm so glad you're home," Gloria, 86, tells her. "Thank you. Me too. For so many reasons," she responds.

It seems that we can expect more content from Meghan encouraging people to vote. She filmed a video with Gloria Steinem for MAKERS Women and it's speculated it happened on the grounds of the Sussexes' new home.

Here's an article:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2020082696014/meghan-markle-backyard-interview-gloria-steinem/

And Instagram post:

The short clip is only like a minute and a half. It seems like Meghan is REALLY happy about being back in the US and can't help herself not to fuel the constant speculatin about the exit from BRF/leaving the UK.

it seems like its all about Meghan rather than Harry...

Here's an article:

And Instagram post:

Wow, she’s really not mincing her words is she? I think that this is yet another pretty clear sign that she never considered the UK home and never would, and also probably never really was serious about being a full-time working royal long term. It was just a stepping stone for her to enter into public life in the way that she was never able to as a C-list actress. Also notice that it’s all about Meghan... Harry’s been staying relatively quiet comparatively. I also think this is a sure sign that the door has closed for her to go back to the UK and royal life... she’s back “home” and is making her own way.

Wow, she’s really not mincing her words is she? I think that this is yet another pretty clear sign that she never considered the UK home and never would, and also probably never really was serious about being a full-time working royal long term. It was just a stepping stone for her to enter into public life in the way that she was never able to as a C-list actress. Also notice that it’s all about Meghan... Harry’s been staying relatively quiet comparatively. I also think this is a sure sign that the door has closed for her to go back to the UK and royal life... she’s back “home” and is making her own way.

Yes, this is a bit - well I think that it makes it clear that she didn't feel OK in the UK and now she's very very happy to be home. DID she really get to hate the UK? Or was she never all that committed to it and cynically used it to get the platform for political and other activities "back home". Is Harry going along with this, or does he also feel happier in the USA?

Harry's comment; we're the family she never had sounds so hollow now.

I don't see her ever coming back to the UK; the ship has long since sailed away!

Reactions: Fem
I do think this is what Meghan wants to do - she wants to be seen as some kind of poster girl for feminism and to be speaking out on semi-political issues. What we'll never know is if she thought she could do that as a member of the Royal Family, if she was never serious about being a working royal, or if she genuinely intended to try to fit into royal life but decided she couldn't. If it's worked out for her, that's fine, as long as she doesn't expect the taxpayer to fund it, but I'm not sure what Harry's role is now.

I guess Harry's role will be do to the same but he's specifically staying out of the US elections talk for various reasons. He has Travalyst, whether or not that will amount to much is another matter. Or whether or not it will be enough for him/them in the future.

I do think this is what Meghan wants to do - she wants to be seen as some kind of poster girl for feminism and to be speaking out on semi-political issues. What we'll never know is if she thought she could do that as a member of the Royal Family, if she was never serious about being a working royal, or if she genuinely intended to try to fit into royal life but decided she couldn't. If it's worked out for her, that's fine, as long as she doesn't expect the taxpayer to fund it, but I'm not sure what Harry's role is now.

Their titles are absolutely pointless in the USA too. I think they should be removed as they were given to them on the premise that they would be working British royals which they no longer want to be.

Here's an article:

And Instagram post:

We already knew she was “ so glad” to be home. Why does she keep repeating that in public and , now, with an added element “ for so many reasons”?

It sounds like a provocation and.a grudge against the Royal Family, or even against the UK or anything British. It is very rude on her part TBH.

That is very odd for someone who is still technically a princess of the UK.

Last edited:
Yes, this is a bit - well I think that it makes it clear that she didn't feel OK in the UK and now she's very very happy to be home. DID she really get to hate the UK? Or was she never all that committed to it and cynically used it to get the platform for political and other activities "back home". Is Harry going along with this, or does he also feel happier in the USA?

As a citizen of the UK, how do you feel about them continuing in their positions in the Commonwealth Trust, especially since they are not even living in a Commonwealth country? Personally, I don't think they should be able to keep them. I wonder if this will be discussed at the yearly review.

Well here we are again. This is like a episode of Murder She wrote,a bakers daughter marrying into an Aristocratic Family and no one take's the Vice Css seriously. A title may help, it also opens lots of doors, but what you actually accomplish counts,not just be seen all the time. This make it look desperate. No matter how well meaning it may be from her side of the isle.What about her husband Harry??

We already knew she was “ so glad” to be home. Why does she keep repeating that in public and , now, with an added element “ for so many reasons”?

It sounds like a provocation and.a grudge with the Royal Family, or even with the UK or anything British. It is very rude on her part TBH.

That is very odd for someone who is still technically a princess of the UK.
Yeah, my feelings exactly.

If she's so "happy to be home for SO MANY REASONS" then why is she still using "Duchess of Sussex"? Doesn't the title remind her of the awful UK that she's so glad she left behind? :whistling:

It sounds like a provocation and.a grudge against the Royal Family, or even against the UK or anything British. It is very rude on her part TBH.

Agreed. Very.

Well whatever you thought of her at least a real princess like Margaret had style & panache when she wanted to be rude. :D

No she isn't, and not surprising to be honest (especially not after the book). And while she keeps saying it with a smile, there is a distinct tone of bitterness and ungratefulness to those sentences.
She really should be more careful, because more of this can end up making Harry resent her for attacking his family and homeland, no matter how much he disliked being in the limelight himself they are still his family - time and distance will make whatever issues he has with them mallow and that is when he is likely to start disliking and grow to resent any jab she will have against his family and the UK (I know because I have been there! in regards to my own country). and we all know she needs Harry, without him no one cares what she has to say, its him and the title she has through this marriage that opens up these door for her.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom